Wedgewood Rooms

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzranger
Known user

Wedgewood Rooms

Post by spzranger »

I am going on Saturday and staying down in Portsmouth for the night with the Mrs. Never been to the Wedgewood Rooms before. What's the venue like? Best place for a pint of Guinness or two (it's St Patricks Day!) whilst catching the England v Ireland game on TV before the gig?
gassjack
Known user

Re: Wedgewood Rooms

Post by gassjack »

Wedgewood Rooms is my fave venue in the whole country. it is a perfect black box with great sound and small bar in corner. It is pretty small and flat so I'd recommend getting there early. Dunno much about the pubs around there but there are a few. none I'd recommend though.

I was so excited about this gig but now I can't go...... gutted ain't the word!!

Have a wicked nite and let us know what happens.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I've actually been there! Small, nice little venue with decent sound. If I remember rightly the bouncers there were pretty keen on stopping people who were trying to film. A few people around me were threatened with their phones/cameras being confiscated and a couple were thrown out. This is no bad thing, mind. I respect people taking the occasional photo at a gig but it really annoys me when punters stand there holding up their phones to film the entire show or endlessly taking photos throughout the gig.
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

A fantastic venue - nice capacity (c300), great sound and sight lines wherever you stand (I recommend leaning against sound desk at the back), reasonable bouncers, handy bar with plenty of staff so no major queues. Have seen scores of gigs here, never Spiritualized though.. :mrgreen:
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

there is a handy bar next door called the Edge of the Wedge - it serves Guinness
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I DJ'd there once on a very mangled weekend, twas my second set of the day with another to come! Great fun. :D Nice venue alright.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spacebob wrote:A fantastic venue - nice capacity (c300), great sound and sight lines wherever you stand (I recommend leaning against sound desk at the back), reasonable bouncers, handy bar with plenty of staff so no major queues. Have seen scores of gigs here, never Spiritualized though.. :mrgreen:
Perfect summary. I've toured with many bands and this venue has never failed me. I don't know why but all the staff there seem so friendly, the bouncers are the best! The only venue that might be better is Southampton Joiners or possibly Birmingham Glee Club...

Thank the lord that there are some venues that do not (yet) belong to the fucking scum called O2.
Last edited by gassjack on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spacebob wrote:there is a handy bar next door called the Edge of the Wedge - it serves Guinness
Oh yes that's a handy little place - they do gigs there as well now evidently.
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

gassjack wrote:The only venue that might be better is Southampton Joiners or possibly Birmingham Glee Club...
I've been to the Joiners a couple of times and actually find it too small. It's like being in someone's front room with the stereo turned up loud - maybe there's not enough room to get any decent amp equipment in. One of these gigs was six by seven and they don't normally skimp on the volume...

Agree with you on the O2 corporatisation though...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spacebob wrote:
gassjack wrote:The only venue that might be better is Southampton Joiners or possibly Birmingham Glee Club...
I've been to the Joiners a couple of times and actually find it too small. It's like being in someone's front room with the stereo turned up loud - maybe there's not enough room to get any decent amp equipment in. One of these gigs was six by seven and they don't normally skimp on the volume...

Agree with you on the O2 corporatisation though...
Yes I agree about Joiners, but it has such a 'family-run' feeling to it that is so rare these days. Aw Six By Seven oh I loved them - I was so happy when they supported Spz at Eden Project.
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

what bands did you tour with? I may have been in the Portsmouth / Southampton audience at some stage...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

The first bands I followed were The Damned (I was very young) and Killing Joke but then I discovered Nick Cave and have for 25 years followed him around the globe. I spent many happy times with The Wedding Present and some others I won't name...

In more recent years I've followed Editors, Interpol, Apartment, The Horrors (around the time of the first album when they were doing the garage punk thing - I'm not interested now), Glasvegas (in the early days before they believed the hype), Delays and now the truly brilliant The Chapman Family.

Spiritualized have been a huge part of my life since LGM but I didn't start following them seriously until LAGWAFIS, I dropped off the trail for LICD coz that was too overblown for me (although I've grown to love it now), I did a few of the AG gigs but I didn't really start obsessing again until A&E.
ash67
New user

Post by ash67 »

Hey

Sounds like your living my life !!!! :D

Doing the same - I think the Leopold might be ok.
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

ah big fan of Mr Cave myself....shame he hasn't been along to Pompey recently, its only 50 miles down the coast for him (best he gets the train though given his driving exploits!!)

Top gigs in the Wedgewood rooms for me include Mogwai, Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Gandaddy....
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

The Wedge is my local venue, its a fantastic place to see bands,been hundreds of times. Some good pubs near by,The Leopold is just across the road, the Wine Vaults and Porters are close by.

See ya down the front, if anyone needs any info i will be pleased to help,Chris. :D
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spacebob wrote:ah big fan of Mr Cave myself....shame he hasn't been along to Pompey recently
I must admit to not really being a Grinderman fan. He was in the nastiest noisiest band (The Birthday Party) ever to take to a stage many, many years ago so why try to tread that path again but in a more diluted way... just don't get it.

Bring back Blixa & Mick!!!!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spooks wrote:The Wedge is my local venue, its a fantastic place to see bands,been hundreds of times. Some good pubs near by,The Leopold is just across the road, the Wine Vaults and Porters are close by.
Did you ever go to the Fawcett Inn? I liked that boozer although i heard it has changed since the owner, Rob, died a few years ago.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Thanks for the recommendations. Really looking forward to the gig now. I'm sure I've been to the Leopold and the Wine Vaults before as I used to visit a mate down there who was at art college there in the 80's. It's all coming back to me now :) .

People recording the whole gig on their phones leave me a little perplexed. Q - "Was the gig any good?". A - "Dunno, I was too busy trying to record it all on my phone".

For those that are going see you at the front :)
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

also to get yourself set up with a pre gig curry you are spoilt for choice on the Albert Road
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

Yes the Fawcett Inn is still a good boozer, and i can recommend the Aubergine if your up for a good curry, i may nip down in the afternoon to see if the band are sound checking or anything.

Anyway Killing Joke are in town tonight so off to see them as well. :D

Look out for the geezer with Unknown Pleasures tattooed on his forearm. 8)
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

The day is upon you, you lucky fuckers.

The best band in the best venue. Jealousy is an understatement.

I hope you all have an INCREDIBLE night. And if anyone gets a set-list then please, please post it up.

For those about to Mainline, we salute you!
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

Excitement building...Spiritualized on random on the ipod all day....theres a set list from last night on twitter...see @thatewanboy 's timeline from late last night. Sadly no shine a light but maybe we'll get that tonight? Set looks good w/ lots of new stuff plus some classics
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

OMG that is an excellent set list......
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I might be going- have a ticket just in case, but feeling ridiculously sick just now. On some new meds (for hemi-plegic migraine)- and feeling extremely nauseous. Question is, can I even stand up?!? Dunno... I guess I still have a few hours to decide before I have to get in the car and make the trek from London. :lol:
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
spacebob
New user

Post by spacebob »

Migraine? - it'll be either kill or cure....
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

spacebob wrote:Migraine? - it'll be either kill or cure....
Yup. I've had them since I was three- but they have become very bad the last few years and because of the type I have the usual meds are not recommended- too high stroke risk, so I'm being experimented on with anti seizure meds and stuff. Anyway... blah, blah- there are much worse things in life!

I'm just going to get in that car and see where it takes me! :D
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

*Spoiler Alert*

Well.. 'Hey Jane' + those strobes made for one hell of an opener... I was thinking "this is gonna be the best show in ages". Then I got distracted by the drunken loons who took out most of the second row with their over the top dancing during "She Kissed Me...." (and general twatish behaviour throughout). Felt sorry for the folk who'd been standing down the front all evening that felt they had to move away..

Anyhow, after retreating towards the bar myself and finding a new, albeit chatty, vantage point I enjoyed the show. New songs sounded great and I loved the cheeky inclusion of siblings She Kissed Me - 12 Steps - Electricity :lol: Only minor gripe is if you're gonna play "Cop Shoot Cop" play the whole song not just the outro :wink:
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Krisskrossfrog wrote:*Spoiler Alert*

Well.. 'Hey Jane' + those strobes made for one hell of an opener...

YAY! I'm a big fan of strobes, to me they are an integral part of the Spiritualized live performance.

Have to agree about Cop Shoot Cop... surely it's all or nothing... I could maybe imagine it working if Electricity doesn't stop just blends straight into the second half of CSC... I dunno. I guess I shouldn't judge until I hear it...
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

What a blinding gig, plenty of strobes and an excellent set list, Lay back In The Sun, Stay With Me,Electric Mainline and Hey Jane being the highlights :D
MiltonPFC
New user

Post by MiltonPFC »

Hey Spooks / Chris - Hows its going mate ....did look out for you last night, as knew you would be there.

Cracking gig indeed .... best gig ive been to for some while, and first time ive seen them live since Royal Albert Hall 97 show.

Great vocals last night too.

Shame there was no 'Walkin' with Jesus' or 'Take Me To The Other Side' .... but I was pleasantly surprised to hear 'Dont Go', 'Lay Back In The Sun' etc

How was Killing Joke - I hear that was a cracker as well

Does anyone have the setlist from the Wedgewood Rooms ? Id be keen to confirm it

Cheers
Pat
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

My brain is still on hold- will return with a fuller review later. But for now- I LOVED IT!!!! :D :D :D
littletriggers
New user

Post by littletriggers »

For those that were there, http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletrig ... 607568067/

Great gig by the way.
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

Hi Pat, i think the setlist is the same as the one posted from the Nottingham show, Killing Joke where awesome,very very powerfull and full on, some of the new stuff is very good live.

But Spiritualized shade it for me, out of the now 40 odd gigs ive seen them do this would be up there with the best.

PUP.
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

sunny wrote:My brain is still on hold- will return with a fuller review later. But for now- I LOVED IT!!!! :D :D :D

Fair play for making the effort to come down dude, i also met a young American lad at the bar who travelled down from the smoke for his first SPZ gig. :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

littletriggers wrote:For those that were there, http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletrig ... 607568067/

Great gig by the way.

Wow some great shots! Do you mind if I link to these online? I love the ones with the number projections behind... and the circles... and the over saturated ones of Jason.

spooks wrote:
sunny wrote:My brain is still on hold- will return with a fuller review later. But for now- I LOVED IT!!!! :D :D :D

Fair play for making the effort to come down dude, i also met a young American lad at the bar who travelled down from the smoke for his first SPZ gig. :D
:lol: He would have appreciated my American flag sequined top then, haha! I was feeling so crap I thought I'd jazz myself up a bit to disguise. But... I applied the make up in the car. It was quite dark. I only noticed after the gig when I went to the loo how over the top it was. More like war paint or an American football player. :lol: I'm a dudette by the way. :wink:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Krisskrossfrog wrote:*Then I got distracted by the drunken loons who took out most of the second row with their over the top dancing during "She Kissed Me...." (and general twatish behaviour throughout). Felt sorry for the folk who'd been standing down the front all evening that felt they had to move away..
I felt bad for the couple that left too- although I did jump in their spot. Those two comedians were getting under people's skin... I decided to block them out of my mind. Not worth giving attention to.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

only realised the night before this that i would in fact be able to go. woke up the next morning to get tickets and found it had sold out. top that off with strobes and and what sounds like an awesome setlist (i thought it was billed as one of those 'playing the new album through' gigs??) and you have one sad moop. ah well... maybe i'll catch them in the summer..
littletriggers
New user

Post by littletriggers »

Sunny, no problem, just send me the link or post the flickr link, littletriggers.
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

sunny wrote:
Krisskrossfrog wrote:*Then I got distracted by the drunken loons who took out most of the second row with their over the top dancing during "She Kissed Me...." (and general twatish behaviour throughout). Felt sorry for the folk who'd been standing down the front all evening that felt they had to move away..
I felt bad for the couple that left too- although I did jump in their spot. Those two comedians were getting under people's skin... I decided to block them out of my mind. Not worth giving attention to.
I'm not so good at blocking stuff out so just grabbed another pint. :) The great thing about the Wedgewood Rooms for me is that it's pretty easy to get a decent view anywhere..

Still can't get over how great 'Hey Jane' was.. Loved it at the RAH but last night took it to a new level. Really want to go again!! Hopefully they'll do some more I can get to before the year is out......

Cannot wait for this album!
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Great gig. Particular highlights for me were Hey Jane, She Kissed Me, Lay Back In The Sun, Born Never Asked, Electric Mainline, Stay With Me and Electricity. Not sure if it was me being a bit frazzled by the end, but Cop Shoot Cop didn't really work and it seemed a bit muddy sound wise. Sounded a lot better when they played the short version as a closer at Glastonbury 2008.

The Mrs was remarking to me on how laid back and friendly the crowd were compared to London gigs. We were right at the front to the far left of the stage.

Wish I was going to the London gig tomorrow. I'm sure it will be another great night as the band are in cracking form.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Alright then... I promised more of a review.

OK so I LOVED the gig and I think this line up really rocks (yes, I am repeating).

The 'new' bass player really rocks too. Someone help me out please- what is his name?! I feel really embarrassed calling him the new guy. He's very good on all the new songs and all the early stuff. He plays heavy and can play super fast too... :shock:

The new songs really stand out for me.

Hey Jane is great.

Like I've said before I'm falling in love with 'I am what I am'- what a dirty desert groove- so sixties/seventies. Makes me feel like I'm somewhere else, on a dirt road in Mexico at sunset or something. Someone please stick this in a film! It deserves some really cool footage to go with it...
Maybe 'Cop Shoot Cop' would sound good next to this? Just speculating (which is not really my job I know, but it's fun)

'So Long' is perfect Poppy Gospel :) . Is this Poppy's song? If so, he should hire her permanently.

Aside for the new stuff the faster numbers really stood out for me.

She kissed me- 12 step-electricity, amazing!!! Great gtr frenzy!!!

The interlocking gtrs on Electric Mainline!!!

And of course I always have that knee jerk reaction when 'Lay Back in the Sun' comes on. Haha- It's my arms in the air moment. Singing along to 'good dope, good fun' like it's a religious mantra although I haven't had any good dope in years (or any type of dope of for that matter).

'Stay with Me' has a similar (but more somber) effect...

The Amazing Grace songs were spectacularly beautiful and sensitive in terms of Jasons guitar playing and singing. Sometimes the rest of Spz match his sensitivity and sometimes not. I think as the tour goes on they will grow into it more and more. Perhaps it's on this type of material that players like Coxon, who are used to huge dynamic changes and the listening that comes with improv, can contribute greatly... These songs are not supposed to be any sort of 'mid set lull' (as someone called it)- but should take you breath away and I think they can do that. But it takes quite a lot of focus from both the band and the audience. I think Jason sets himself quite a task placing them mid set- and it's quite a fast paced set overall, and his audience is a predominantly space/drone/psychedelic audience, but it's why I love Jason- he pushes the boundaries and expects more. And he's proven time and again that he can pull it off. So as far as I'm concerned BRING IT ON! ALL OF IT!!! :D :D :D