Oxford Academy (Zodiac)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

gassjack
Known user

Oxford Academy (Zodiac)

Post by gassjack »

Them scummers at O2 may own it now but to me it will always be my beloved Zodiac. Rant over.

So who's going? Unless something hideous happens (which by my current standards is highly likely) I will be there. I'm hoping to get there early enough to be on the barrier but I'm not sure what time I can get outta London.

Anyhoo if you see a heavily tattoo'd 6ft lump and wanna say hi then feel free. I'm quite charming really.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
swinny
Known user

Re: Oxford Academy (Zodiac)

Post by swinny »

I shall be there with the Mrs (who got me the tickets for Christmas, awwww). Last Spiritualized show here was great - not exactly packed though, so I don't think you'll have much trouble getting down the front!

Really looking forward to it - the setlist from the other night looks immense so should be great if all goes well.

Has there been any merchandise at the other shows?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'll be there, going on my tod

If i see you gassjack, I'll say hi!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I shall be in attendance! :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

Onstage from 8.30, no support (as expected) according to the Academy Facebook page.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Okay coz my back is proper f**ked I've had to miss all the dates I had planned on doing but at least I bloody well made it to Oxford - in fact it made it a little bit more special. The Doctors gave me a pack of strong painkillers to use in case I needed any - how I'm gonna explain that there are none left is another thing - maybe I 'lost' them hahahahahahahaha. Either way I was feeling no pain during that gig, quite the opposite... oops... hahahaha.

It was amazing, naturally. The set list was the same as other nights without 12 Steps but with the whole (or nearly) of Cop Shoot Cop... here's a pic that someone who managed to get one let me snap:

I also managed to film three songs with my little camera - don't expect too much but they are interesting in an amateur way. I'm uploading AVI files for the PC Users and m4v for the other Mac Heads out there, here are the links:

She Kissed Me.avi
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... aFM5TE1UQw

I Am What I Am.avi
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... UUJqQThUQw

Oh Baby.avi
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... WGNYRHRVag

She Kissed Me.m4v
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... d2ZFdzhUQw

I Am What I Am.m4v
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... Y1FQWWNUQw

Oh Baby.m4v
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Br ... bUJqQTlVag

For those of you lucky people that are doing more of the tour, I hope it goes well and you all have a wicked time.

BTW I would put these on YouTube but I haven't got time, I'm back to the dreaded Doctors now - if anyone else wants to bung them on YT feel free.
Last edited by gassjack on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Yep, great show last night. Enjoyed it much more RAH. Decent lights, nice choice of songs. Only downer was a lack of volume and the dick heads incessant talking (especially through Rated X). Shame there were no Hey Jane singles on sale. Hope there's further UK dates later in the year.
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

I loved it! Stand-outs were (for me) - Hey Jane, Stay With Me, She Kissed Me, Lay Back in the Sun and So Long (which was probably my highlight and seems like such a perfect set closer). Sound could've maybe been a bit louder, but it also meant you got a good mix of everything going on which I prefer. Lights were great.

Cop Shoot Cop was great, but I'll be honest (and probably blasphemous) by saying that I was more excited by the prospect of seeing the 12-Step-Plan that others got - so a little disappointed there - lost my interest a bit there at the end, and the Mrs wasn't impressed!

Crowd were generally good, but as ever the "I love you Jason!" nutbags were in. Special mention must go to the red-haired lady who was all over the shop, dancing and shouting about. "Shutup, it's the sound, it is, it's the sound! Shut up!" she kept shouting at her companions as the pure-phase tones kicked in before born never asked. A little later (when we'd moved to the back) she was running about shouting "Show your appreciation!" at people...mid-song. Humurous, but irritating!
ThisManWhisky
New user

Post by ThisManWhisky »

Really enjoyed the gig too. Hey Jane was an awesome opener and I was blown away by the encore. Everything in between was pretty great too. :D I really thought they played 12 Steps though - must have imagined it.

But the chatting and behaviour of certain people throughout was disgraceful. Why come to a gig if all you are going to do is chat to your mates?

Oh - this is my first post on here so 'hello' to everyone.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

ThisManWhisky wrote:But the chatting and behaviour of certain people throughout was disgraceful. Why come to a gig if all you are going to do is chat to your mates?
It drives me nuts!!! Another good reason to cling to the barrier. Welcome to the forum.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

People chatting at gigs remains a mystery to me - it's a massive pet hate of mine. I mean we all say 'man that was great wasn't it? I hope they play such-and-such...' but when it turns into a whole conversation I can't think of a worse environment to do that in than a noisy gig. And that's ignoring the fact that it's both rude to those around you and disrespectful to the musicians.
ThisManWhisky
New user

Post by ThisManWhisky »

It's when the conversation doesn't have anything to do with the music that gets me. Just people chatting away like they are at home.

People who have paid about £20 or more to enter a room and talk to their friends when other people are trying to listen to music make no sense to me. So weird and incredibly rude.

Worst experience of it was when I saw Jeff Klein supporting the Twilight Singers in a small venue (can't remember the name) in Edinburgh 6 or so years ago. It was just him on stage with his guitar so pretty quiet. Two women were constantly talking all the way through his set. Even when he stopped and told them to shut the fuck up they still didn't even notice that. :x
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm sorry to say I found last nights gig rather disappointing. it was okay, but I expect more than okay from Spiritualized.

like many have been saying, it just wasn't loud enough. I think they might need Coxons extra guitar to really make the noisy bits kick in.

the setlist, although including a few welcome resurrections of old favourites (very glad to see Electric Mainline back, and Stay With Me is a wonderfully less obvious selection from L&G) seemed a bit of a random grab-bag. Jason has been the master at constructing setlists in the past, building to gloriously huge peaks, but this one didn't really hang together for me.

there was lots of AG material. Oh Baby and Rated X was a bit of a momentum killer, and I like both songs!, also Lord Let It Rain on Me is one of my least favourite Spz songs so obviously didn't hit the spot for me

I see they are doing Heading For The Top with a quieter, building intro now. I preferred the heavier, squalling version from previous dates.

on a more positive note I really enjoyed I Am What I Am, storming song that is, proper dirty and funky rock n roll. and would also like to give props to the new bass player who was spot on. maybe it's hard to measure up seeing as I seen the band a fair few times now but this show didn't really leave much of an impression on me.
Boxler
New user

Post by Boxler »

Hello all.

Really enjoyed the Oxford gig. Hey Jane was the highlight for me.

Captured Oh Baby on my camera http://youtu.be/k0ZBmqfptwc