Dublin vicar street ... Saturday night 24th march ...

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

evan:)
Known user

Dublin vicar street ... Saturday night 24th march ...

Post by evan:) »

Dublin vicar street ... Saturday night ... really looking forward to this ... anybody else from here heading to this ? ?
Broc
Known user

Re: Dublin vicar street ... Saturday night 24th march ...

Post by Broc »

Yep, glad they're playing Vicar St again, great venue.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I shall be there with my other half and a few mates. If you see a skinny guy with dreadlocks and glasses feel free to come over and say hello. :)

Man it's great to be excited about a Spiritualized gig again, been over a decade since i've had this feeling. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BobSacamano
Known user

Post by BobSacamano »

Anyone any idea of what time they'll be on stage at? I assume no support like the other gigs?

edit: 8.45 according to @officialspzd
BobSacamano
Known user

Post by BobSacamano »

Well that was pretty good :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Just when I thought I had seen the best of Spiritualized live, they pulled that one out of the bag.

rapturous applause
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

Best Spiritualized gig I've been at for many years. Great sound and really really mixed crowd young and older fans ... great to see lots of people dancing to the more upbeat moments at the right hand side of the stage (lots of mdma in dublin these days). The half hour extended microphone and levels check from 8.30 to 9 really heightened the anticipation given that stage time was supposed to be 8.30 ...

Hightlights for me... the second half of Hey Jane, Lay Back In The Sun, I Am What I Am, Born never asked, Ladies and gentlemen, Stay with me and Cop shoot cop.

Some decent videos some one put up on Youtube ...

Come Together @ Vicar Street Dublin 24 March 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtaYPRvf ... r_embedded

Spiritualized® - Stay with me @ Vicar Street Dublin 24 March 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_g0aRsk ... r_embedded

also briefly said hello to sunray from here but had to head off to meet up with some friends ... all in all 9/10
bmak53
New user

Post by bmak53 »

Incredible gig...brought me back to the Ambassador gig from several years back, I left floating on air that night, it was spiritual... Cop Shoot Cop at the end of the gig last saturday night was as good a concerty moment as I have ever experienced. It was just hypnotic... The subliminal base line pulsating like a heart beat....I can still hear that going through my head. I desperately want a recording of this gig. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I will communicate by mail if you wish? Used to be you could stroll down to liffey street and pick up a CD the night after a great gig, alas things have changed. Cant wait for the new album to drop..
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Agree with all the pevious posts, thought this was a really good gig. Best Spiritualized show I've seen for a long time, since the Ambassador gig as bmak53 says. Good setlist and quite a long show.

Great sound once again in Vicar St and a nice friendly, appreciative crowd as well. Nice to bump into Sunray briefly before I left.

Thanks for those vids evan, excellent quality...more please!
nailik
Known user

Post by nailik »

I too would give my left cojone for a recording of this... It was feckin' awesome
bmak53
New user

Post by bmak53 »

Come on folks, somebody must know where a brother can get his hands on a bootleg of the gig? :roll:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A week late due to sunshine and other business... :wink:

Unanimous consensus amongst my lot (about 8 of us) was that this was the best Spiritualized gig in years, and for me personally it pissed all over anything on the AG and A&E tours. One girl with us had never heard, let alone seen, them before and would be very mainstream in her tastes but she loved it, to the point where she wants copies of all their albums!

Same set as Belfast and Manchester, although according to the setlist we were supposed to have Come Together as the opener and not as the set closer, so a last minute decision was obviously made to switch it. I like how Hey Jane is being worked on already, the noise shortened and the second half extended, which is fine by me. Highlights were Heading For The Top, I Am What I Am, Lay Back In The Sun, Electric Mainline and Stay With Me. I was surprised at how short So Long was though, a very truncated version.

I think this set up could really benefit from a brass section. Not a squawking, skronking free jazz type thing but more of a soul/funk horn stabs trip. Some of the tunes i think could be brought to another level with some well placed simple brass injections. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Some grumbles though: The sound was really muddy for the first 5 or 6 tunes and nowhere near loud enough. I was stood about seven rows back and in a central position so thought i was in a prime spot. It did get better eventually, both in clarity and volume, but tbh it was never loud enough. This could be down to my ears though ( i've actually booked myself in for a hearing test as most gigs aren't loud enough for me these days.)

Also, the lightshow. Every gig of this tour people have mentioned the strobes and the great lights but they weren't to be seen in Dublin. Now I very much doubt we were the only city not to get the same lightshow as everywhere else but none of my friends, or people i spoke to after, thought the lights were anything to get excited about. They were base level, a start off point but not worthy of trying to pass off as an intense experience.

Anyways, a positive experience overall. A good setlist, no half hour lulls in the middle like previously. New material seemed to be well received. I look forward to seeing them again when they've been on the road a few months and are totally locked in.

Broc, enjoyed our chat afterwards. Evan, nice to meet ya. And to any lurkers who said hello, come join us nerds. :)

To those looking for a recording: Don't hold your breath. I don't think there's any tapers in Ireland. Most recent recording I picked up was LCD Soundsystem in Tripod 2007. Very rare that Irish gigs by any bands make an appearance.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five