Lost Recordings - the Sage show

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Lost Recordings - the Sage show

Post by clewsr »

Sorry, no, don't get excited, I haven't got a copy. And as far as I know one has never surfaced. But I think it would be one of the most interesting shows to hear as it included material that hasn't been played before or since. Wasn't some of it filmed? I'm sure I remember Ben Crook being around at that time, and saying it was going to be recorded.

Anyway its interesting to look back at the set list and see the songs which were new then http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... ist#p15733

Not sure what the first song 'Jesus' was - could it have been Life is a problem? My memory of the show is quite limited but i don't remember hearing it then.
Death take your fiddle and Baby I'm just a fool obviously appeared on A+E - is this the only time its been played with the electric band?
Too late is on the new album but 'gonna take more than I can borrow' and 'you know about life' - have they still not appeared in any form?
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Lost Recordings - the Sage show

Post by angelsighs »

I reckon 'gonna take more than i can borrow' may well be Get What You Deserve. dont those words appear in the lyrics?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

you are probably right angel sighs. I thought it sounded familiar. So that leaves 1 or maybe 2 unaccounted for.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

clewsr wrote:Not sure what the first song 'Jesus' was - could it have been Life is a problem?
it's "walking with jesus". they started with that song.

well, we all were VERY close getting that recording, cuz i wanted to record it, but right before the show i got busted by security. old story, i have been telling that many times on this board.
moral of this is, that if you are a serious bootlegger, then always carry with you spare pair of batteries. security has learned their lesson and took away my batteries.

i don't remember what song ended with "sad days lonely nights", kimbrough cover. eh?

ben crook was present. don't believe either that he did not film, so something must have been recorded somehow.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Bad luck vieko. You must have been gutted! Do you think sad days lonely night was played? I can't remember, but it does sort of ring a bell. Would make a copy of this show even more interesting.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

"sad days lonely nights" was probably part of Things, i'm 1000% sure that it was mixed into one of the songs, but can't remember for sure what was the correct medley. i was devastated, it was my first time to get busted by security at a concert and has not been repeated. but getting rid of the responsibility allowed me to enjoy more the gig itself.
next question - what was the short film shown just before the gig?
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Baby I'm Just A Fool has only been played once iirc, at a show in Japan for the A&E tour. I know a recording circulates, but I don't have it....

You Know About Life.... hmm. Can't place that.
Wish a recording of this show surfaced. It seems he's content with not releasing any live albums for a bit, though.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

They've played baby, im just a fool 3 times live. Once at the sage show (which if you scroll through the news theres talk of releasing some footage of) once in japan, and at the Rough Trade A+E set.

Sad days.. Was put in the middle of take me to the other side,. Not listed on the set list.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I remember that tale Veiko. Such a shame indeed. Did what happened afterwards not sorta make up for it though...
:wink: (was it that gig?) I had vague plans to make it down for that show, wish I had, just didn't have my shit together at all at that point.
clewsr wrote:'Too late' is on the new album but 'gonna take more than I can borrow' and 'you know about life' - have they still not appeared in any form?
Nice one Clews - this kinda thing appeals to me! I remember seeing that thread years ago with the new song titles, had forgotten about them. So 'Too Late' has been floating around for a long time. I remember a supremely chilled version from one of the Acoustic Mainline shows...

Somewhere in the Photos section within 'Admissions' you can see various scenes from the making of A&E: one of them shows a board with various songs with tracks, instruments or vocals needed, another shows cards with (maybe) instruments to be added and 'Take More N' I Can Borrow' is listed - just make out a song ending with 'Life' so assuming that's the other one - I'm thinking they were recorded for A&E but never made the final cut?

Here they are:

http://www.spiritualized.com/admissions ... studio/13/
http://www.spiritualized.com/admissions ... studio/14/
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

here is a similar thread that I started a while back on the subject of these 'lost songs'

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... f=1&t=9901

not sure if the link for the acoustic mainline version of Too Late still works.. its great, a bit faster than the new version.

if that has been knocking around for a few years, as has Get What You Deserve, and I Am What I Am is obviously at least 15 yrs old.. haha Jasons not the most prolific of songwriters is he? :)

maybe 'you know about life' is another new song under a different name? not familiar enough with SHSL lyrics to know if that phrase appears anywhere
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

He did say in a recent interview that he's finally getting a bunch of pop songs out of his system, so I guess that makes sense. Confused as to how he can think You Get What You Deserve is a pop song, but I don't write Spiritualized records....