New York - Terminal 5

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

perfectrx
Known user

New York - Terminal 5

Post by perfectrx »

J and band were great tonight. Similar set to Chicago. One song encore of Cop Shoot Cop. It sounded really nice to my ears. I didn't bring the gear. Who recorded it?
slidesong
Known user

NYC show

Post by slidesong »

Spiritualized put on yet another stellar performance tonight at the notoriously woeful venue, Terminal 5, in NYC. The set featured a nice mix of old and new, almost to the point of being a "best-of" playlist.

Speaking of the set list, here it is:
  • Hey Jane
    Lord let it rain on me
    Heading' for the top
    She kissed me (It felt like a hit)
    Lay back in the sun
    Oh baby
    Rated x
    I am what I am
    Born never asked
    Electric mainline
    Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
    Mary
    Stay with me
    So long you pretty thing
    Come together

--- encore ---
    Cop shoot cop
I took lots of photos so when I put them online, I'll post a link here.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
PeshoG
Known user

Re: New York - Terminal 5

Post by PeshoG »

Fantastic show. Too bad it was at Terminal 5.

Jason's voice was shot.
The backup singer closest to the crowd was mesmerizing.

Born never asked into Electric mainline was SO rad.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

PeshoG wrote: Jason's voice was shot.
I felt that the entire band was more subdued than usual. While the show was great and the band spot-on, it did seem as if they were going through the motions just a little bit, and that is very hard for me to say because of all the time I've seen them throughout the years, I've never seen them just 'call it in,' but last night was the closest they came to doing just that.

And the fact that the show was a Terminal 5 didn't bother me at all. The crowd was chill, the sound was good and the lights were blinding.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

slidesong wrote: I felt that the entire band was more subdued than usual. While the show was great and the band spot-on, it did seem as if they were going through the motions just a little bit, and that is very hard for me to say because of all the time I've seen them throughout the years, I've never seen them just 'call it in,' but last night was the closest they came to doing just that. .
Couldn't that just be a symptom of seeing a band on multiple occasions? Especially once you get into double figures, it gets harder to be impressed i find.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

sunray wrote: Couldn't that just be a symptom of seeing a band on multiple occasions? Especially once you get into double figures, it gets harder to be impressed i find.
I don't think so. I'm not the kind of guy who go to shows with a sense of entitlement with the need to be impressed. In fact, I thought they sounded great and constructed a well-rounded set list. I dunno, something seemed a little off. I don't think I could ever tire of seeing Spiritualized play live because they're always giving us something new, even if it's just a reconstruction of an older song to freshen it up or even playing something they haven't done in years (like Electric Mainline or Stay With Me). They're not a play-by-the-numbers band, like so many others.

Maybe I'm just getting too old. ;)

- J Spaceman
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I was at the show last night.
Don't know why everyone always gripes about Terminal 5.
It's right off the West Side Highway and I've never parked farther than a block from the venue.
Get in before show time and go up a flight or 2 and post yourself up on the rail.
No problems here.

I've been seeing this band for 15 years and I gotta say that last night was the 1st time seeing them where I was not completely captivated by the band.
Don't know exactly why.
Not saying the show was bad.

I was recently reading an interview with Ray Dickaty, and he was saying that when he was with them, they rehearsed for quite some time before their tours. He said that Jason's intention was to create a drone in between the songs which tied the whole gig together. I guess not unlike the Electric Mainline. Last night just seemed slightly disjointed.

But I still had a good time and enjoyed the night.
Had some good chemicals and some good friends.
Plus, my wife who is 6+ months pregnant came along for the good time (minus the chemicals).
I thought it was cool for my unborn to be in the womb and experience the sounds.
He was kicking away right from the opening of Hey Jane.

I still would never pass up the opportunity to see the Spaceman.

Oh...and I'm pretty sure that black backup singer was the same one that was in the Radio City Music Hall choir.
Last edited by good dope/good fun on Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I enjoyed last night's show. The sound was really good (could've been a bit louder for my taste...but clear), the lights and backdrop looked great, and the backup singers were totally getting their groove on. Missed half of Hey Jane, I thought they'd be going on at 9. Later, I saw a large note at the back bar stating the band goes on at 8:50 sharp. Looking forward to the shows this Friday in Philly with the World Cafe / WXPN session (never been before) and later at the TLA.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good dope/good fun wrote: I've been seeing this band for 15 years and I gotta say that last night was the 1st time seeing them where I was not completely captivated by the band.
Don't know exactly why.

I was recently reading an interview with Ray Dickaty, and he was saying that when he was with them, they rehearsed for quite some time before their tours. He said that Jason's intention was to create a drone in between the songs which tied the whole gig together. I guess not unlike the Electric Mainline. Last night just seemed slightly disjointed.
your two points here have hit the nail on the head as to why I wasn't quite blown away by the Oxford show earlier in the year. it was a good show but there was something I couldnt quite put my finger on that made it not up in the higher echelons of the Spz shows I have seen. Sunray definitely has a point that when you have seen a band so many times it needs to be something pretty special to do that. maybe I'm spoilt.
the setlist also seemed a bit of a random selection. I loved it in previous years when the bands set would almost appear to be one long flow of music, with suites of songs linked together, even just by a small drone.
even when the sets became more traditionally song based, there would be great attention given to the flow and momentum of the set as a whole. this set (although having some very welcome returns of some old songs) didn't really have that for me.
still a fine show though, and I'm definitely looking forward to the Nov tour (I reckon they will be so tight by then) and loving reading all about the American shows on here!!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

angelsighs wrote:
good dope/good fun wrote: I've been seeing this band for 15 years and I gotta say that last night was the 1st time seeing them where I was not completely captivated by the band.
Don't know exactly why.

your two points here have hit the nail on the head as to why I wasn't quite blown away by the Oxford show earlier in the year. it was a good show but there was something I couldnt quite put my finger on that made it not up in the higher echelons of the Spz shows I have seen. Sunray definitely has a point that when you have seen a band so many times it needs to be something pretty special to do that. maybe I'm spoilt.
the setlist also seemed a bit of a random selection. I loved it in previous years when the bands set would almost appear to be one long flow of music, with suites of songs linked together, even just by a small drone.
even when the sets became more traditionally song based, there would be great attention given to the flow and momentum of the set as a whole. this set (although having some very welcome returns of some old songs) didn't really have that for me.
still a fine show though, and I'm definitely looking forward to the Nov tour (I reckon they will be so tight by then) and loving reading all about the American shows on here!!
These points hit it on the head for me as well in terms of the Detroit show. All my friends thought it was excellent, but something was missing for me.
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I guess thats what happens when a band sets the bar so high.
I really enjoyed Detroit. A lot. I miss Shine A Light but the set list isn't up to me.
Regarding the volume, I have heard that a few times. On the other hand I didn't walk out with my ears ringing for 2 days. At this point in my life I am thankful for that.
When I walked out of the Amazing Grace show at St Andrews Hall I felt a bit like you guys do now. But then the Acoustic Mainlines and A&E tours completely restored my faith in the live shows.
This tour, at least Detroit, was pretty incredible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i thought the detroit gig was amazing except for the idiots wooooooing like little girls throughout
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

There was definitely a young crowd at the show, the whoo hooing was annoying. The entire front row were under 21 and they seemed to only know Ladies and Gentlemen, at least they came out in support of the new album and tour. I was surprised by the number of young people there. Overall sound was fantastic, agreed my ears were not ringing and the sound was clear, crystal clear. It is hard to explain the sound is live, not like the album or playing the songs like the album yet a clear sound none the less. Most bands have a distinct album and live sound. Spiritualized sound even better live than in the studio in most examples I have witnessed or heard.

Jason
Jason Burkett
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont think I was ever woo hoo-ing but I was definitely guilty of the call and response portion of Lay Back In The Sun. :oops:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

spzretent wrote:I dont think I was ever woo hoo-ing but I was definitely guilty of the call and response portion of Lay Back In The Sun. :oops:
i don't recall hearing that, but people right in front of me were woo hooing and it was annoying as they did it a lot. i don't mind it once in a while at appropriate times i suppose but it seemed out of control to me. i should have moved i guess..next time
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

good dope/good fun wrote:I was at the show last night.
Don't know why everyone always gripes about Terminal 5.
It's right off the West Side Highway and I've never parked farther than a block from the venue.
Same here. I found a spot literally across the street from the entrance. I couldn't believe my luck.
good dope/good fun wrote:I've been seeing this band for 15 years and I gotta say that last night was the 1st time seeing them where I was not completely captivated by the band.
I think you nailed it in my case as well. The set seemed a little disjointed. And some of the songs seemed like they took forever to get going, and at times lacked the dynamics they're known for. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if that was the approach Jason was aiming for, but maybe seeing them so many times through the years really has me expecting too much sometimes.

As for the volume, I wouldn't know because I wore earplugs. I've already done too much damage to my ears when I was younger and didn't know any better.

- J Spaceman
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

jr_pharmacist wrote:NYT review.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/arts/ ... yt&emc=rss

Bloody good review that. Nice to see a Journalist who can write properly, but doesn't let that get in the way of getting the review done. There are a bunch of stiffs on the NME, Quietus, Guardian etc that could learn a lot from that piece.....
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

olan wrote:
jr_pharmacist wrote:NYT review.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/arts/ ... yt&emc=rss
Bloody good review that. Nice to see a Journalist who can write properly, but doesn't let that get in the way of getting the review done. There are a bunch of stiffs on the NME, Quietus, Guardian etc that could learn a lot from that piece.....
I agree. It's a beautifully written review.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Here are some photos I took at the T5 show:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f251f43a59

I shot a lot more than these, but they all started to look the same after a while, and instead of posting the 'normal' shots, I took some liberties and applied some of my Photoshop skills to truly capture the atmosphere of how the music sounded visually in my head. Enjoy.

- J Spaceman
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

All of them are pretty sweet, but man, that final one! I love it!