Portland - May 25

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

redcloud
Known user

Portland - May 25

Post by redcloud »

Couple weeks away but, I know there are some west coast folks who frequent this board. Anybody here planning to be at the Wonder Ballroom on Friday May 25 (the start of a three day weekend)? If so, it would be cool to hook up for a drink beforehand.

I may also have an extra ticket.
navels
New user

Re: Portland - May 25

Post by navels »

I'm thinking about driving down from Seattle for this. Does anyone know who is opening?

Thanks,
Lee
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

navels wrote:Does anyone know who is opening?
It's not listed on the bill or the ticket.

Doors at 8, show at 9. Depending on openers that means Spiritualized will likely be on by 10ish. But, it's worth checking with the Wonder just in case.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

im bummed
i believe if i stayed East
i wouldnt miss this tour
this and Lanegan
maybe my brokenness
ill listen to the album stream
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not sure if Nikki Lane headed West with the band or not. That is who opened here and Chicago and probably other places.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
navels
New user

Post by navels »

Thanks a lot, looks like it is Nikki Lane in Portland.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Not sure if Nikki Lane headed West with the band or not. That is who opened here and Chicago and probably other places.
Yep. Looks like it is Nikki Lane in Portland too.
ezraship
New user

Post by ezraship »

Hey everyone, we should all meet up for drinks at the The Secret Society‎ (next door to the Wonder Ballroom,116 Northeast Russell Street) before the show on Friday.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

ezraship wrote:Hey everyone, we should all meet up for drinks at the The Secret Society‎ (next door to the Wonder Ballroom,116 Northeast Russell Street) before the show on Friday.
Sounds like a good plan. Although, there is a bar directly underneath the Wonder, which is decent too. We were down there before BJM and heard their sound check.

Either place is cool though. It would be nice to hook up with others before the show.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Right...so now it's Portland's turn. It's been four long years since Jason played this city. It's going to be huge and I can't wait.

I'm happy to meet up with any forum peeps who are planning to be at Friday's show. Let me know your plans. I say either the Wonder Cafe directly underneath the venue or at Secret Society. Both have food and full bars. I'm bringing my buddy who is a hard core Deadhead but a Spiritualized virgin.

I've been looking forward to this weekend for a while now (Lanegan on Sat. too). Glad it's finally here. Oh, and the show is now officially sold out.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Brief write up in our local rag previewing Friday's gig:

http://wweek.com/portland/event-105046- ... lized.html
navels
New user

Post by navels »

Hey redcloud, do you have an extra ticket?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

navels wrote:Hey redcloud, do you have an extra ticket?
Not any more. Sorry, man.
navels
New user

Post by navels »

No worries, I posted to craigslist and am getting some hits.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Alright, so we're going to head down around 6ish to Secret Society. Plan is to get a bite to eat and a drink before the show. If anyone wants to meet up that is where we will be. If plans change I'll post here. But, the alternative/fall back plan would be the Wonder Cafe underneath the venue.

Navels, any luck on your ticket search? Are you in PDX or coming from outside the city? I recommend just coming down to the Wonder. I am pretty confident somebody will have the golden ticket for you.

The sun is shining and it is warm again. After three or four days of seriously heavy rain and cooler temps it seems the sky has parted and the sun is beaming down for Jason.

Welcome back to Portland, Spiritualized!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

sounds like Portland's weather is similar to England's - rarely a sunny day.

Portlandia is a funny TV show, and someone i know who lives near there (Medford) says it's pretty accurate. :)
navels
New user

Post by navels »

Thanks, I did manage to score a ticket. Got my spot on the rail. Small crowd so far. Weather . . . hah!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just got back from the Portland show....not including the Sasquatch Festival, tonight was the last night of the US portion of the Headline tour and by now the set is smoking hot. 'Heading For The Top' and 'I Am What I Am' had such a deliciously thick groove and a real swagger to them. The fuzz on 'Cop Shoot Cop' had a seriously tasty sting to it and the ladies on 'L&G' were just superb. LOVELY to listen to and to watch. I also really love 'Mary'...it is such an emotionally charged song and absolutely stunning live. Man, oh man, there were moments where the jams and the beat brought to mind 'Meddle' era Floyd. Very narcotic and at times they managed to get to space (the beat to 'Cop Shoot Cop' after the white noise wig out just went on and on and 'Electric Mainline' was a heavy trance). Fucking brilliant. Jason really seemed to be enjoying himself and absorbing the crowd. Several times he acknowledged us by his own applauding and by saying "thank you".

The crowd may have started thin during Nikki Lane but it gradually built up and by the time Spiritualized came on it was the largest crowd at The Wonder I have seen in a long time (if ever). I was down near the front and it was pretty tight and steamy in there. It definitely could have used some fans to get some air flow. Thankfully, people around me were great and on the whole I felt everybody was really getting into the music and respectful during the quiet moments. Sound wise the Wonder gets it every time. Tonight was loud but well mixed and sounded very sweet to my ears.

Somebody in a live thread asked about the shirt Jason was wearing. No idea what he was wearing then but tonight he had a white shirt that had what looked like Freddy Smith on it (maybe Wayne Kramer?) and on the back it said "Rocket Reducer. No. 62." Very cool. I wonder if he got it in Detroit?

The day was glorious...the clouds parted, the sun came thorough but about an hour before the gig the sky turned heavy and dark and some serious thunder crashed down before it unleashed a torrent. Didn't last long but it was pretty heavy rain for a moment.

A really nice night. Cheers Jason and Spiritualized!

The Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR May 25, 2012

Hey Jane
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Heading For The Top
Walking W/Jesus
Oh Baby
Rated X
Born Never Asked
Electric Mainline
Soul On Fire
I Am What I Am
Ladies & Gents
Mary
Stay W/Me
She Kissed Me
Come together
--
E: So Long You Pretty Thing
Cop Shoot Cop
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Still buzzing last night when I posted the above review. It was a very, very good show and Jason was on really good form. A great vibe with the band and the audience. I also really enjoyed how much fuller, groovier and fatter the new songs sounded live and it confirms just how brilliant 'SHSL' is. For me, it is definitely J's best album since 'L&G'. Of the newer material played last night 'Heading For The Top' and 'Mary' were simply stunning but they all sounded great.

A fab gig and although pretty packed it was still intimate in comparison to the times I have seen them in London.

Back to the Wonder tonight to see Mark Lanegan Band! 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A review, photos and video from last nights show at the Wonder ballroom in Portland (scroll down for vids):

http://newmusictoday.blogspot.com/2012/ ... onder.html

What I really love is during the ending of 'L&G' you could hear a pin drop. Respect from the audience during those quieter moments. Very cool.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Was that just a blog? So many photos of the same thing and they really didn't say much about the show. Were the pix supposed to do the review?
Nice video of Hey Jane.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Was that just a blog? So many photos of the same thing and they really didn't say much about the show. Were the pix supposed to do the review?
Nice video of Hey Jane.
Yep, his review doesn't say much does it? I don't know the blog but the vids were good. My friend who went with me (and has never seen Spiritualized before) sent me an email today with the blogs link and the message: "Yo man, Loved that show! Looking forward to another good one tonight. Here's a brief review and video of 3 songs from last night that I found".

Always nice to introduce a true music lover to something new. 8)
navels
New user

Post by navels »

The show, my first, was totally fucking awesome. I'd heard mixed opinions about the sound at the Wonder but from where I stood (elbows on the stage) it sounded great. redcloud, your review pretty much nails it. The only thing I would disagree with was the crowd chatter. During the quiet bits I could hear people talking from the back of the room, which really irks me, but it wasn't terrible.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

navels wrote:The show, my first, was totally fucking awesome. I'd heard mixed opinions about the sound at the Wonder but from where I stood (elbows on the stage) it sounded great. redcloud, your review pretty much nails it. The only thing I would disagree with was the crowd chatter. During the quiet bits I could hear people talking from the back of the room, which really irks me, but it wasn't terrible.
I've been to the Wonder a lot and the sound is almost always good. In fact, I can't remember a night when it wasn't. We're about to head over there this evening to see Mark Lanegan so fingers crossed it maintains its sterling record for me.

You and I must have been pretty close to one another. I was near the front (couple people back) near Jason. I too could hear some people in the back but on the whole with 800+ people (I think they may have had 1000 in there last night) I felt people were pretty good. The one thing I will complain about are people who bring back packs to a gig and then go near the front where it is packed with people. First of all, why bring a large pack with you to a gig? Secondly, if you do then I think you should be mindful of people around you. Stand towards the side where fewer people are at and there's more space.

I'm glad you enjoyed your first gig. They last played here four years ago at Berbati's Pan (next to Voodoo Doughnuts), which no longer has shows. That was even smaller and I was sitting on the stage (as were others). Having seen them at various places in London it really is an honor to see them in an intimate setting.