Mark Lanegan - Portland May 26, 2012

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

redcloud
Known user

Mark Lanegan - Portland May 26, 2012

Post by redcloud »

Lanegan...ahhh, what a voice. I was lucky enough last year to see his acoustic four date only tour of the west coast, which was mesmerizing and a beautiful gig. The last time I saw him perform on his own with his electric band, however, was way back in 2004. Also, as he is often performing with other people it's always a pleasure to see him on his own playing his music.

What I really loved last night were 'Resurrection Song', 'Pendulum' and the "Bubblegum" tunes. But, for me the real stand out was a scorching 'Black Rose Way' that went straight into a head pummeling 'Riot in my House' . The latter sounds like it was recorded during the Bubblegum sessions and to come after the Trees tune made it even more rocking.

With exception to a few of his new tunes (in particular 'Tiny Grains of Truth', which was an awesome closer and 'Riot') I must admit that I didn't groove to the newer songs live as much as I had hoped. I really LOVE the album but I felt the 80's electro vibe stood out much more on the live versions and I was disconnected to them. At times, the new songs sounded like Depeche Mode (especially 'Ode', 'Quiver' and 'Harborview') - the keys and the drum tracks were much more prominent and higher in the live mix. The guitar though was really great, lots of exploratory noodling and as it was down tuned to 'E flat' (I think) it had a low, dirty and scuzzy sound.

A very good weekend of live music. 8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Mark Lanegan - Portland May 26, 2012

Post by spzretent »

I was less than blown away in Detroit. I guess on the heels of Spiritualized its no contest(if there has to be a contest?). Glad I went. Also really happy about my decision to drive to Cleveland a few years ago to see him front Soulsavers. That was outstanding. Maybe thats where the clean, synth-oriented influence comes from. Those two Soulsavers records with him on vocals are incredible. As was the live show.
All you can really say is....That Voice!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Re: Mark Lanegan - Portland May 26, 2012

Post by jack white »

i was also delighted to catch Pendulum.

i'd seen him on the Bubblegum tour & the only minor disappointment that night was he didn't play any Whiskey material

yea thought the band was especially superb, especially on the more country stuff which came as a surprise as i was expecting the synth-heavy leanings of BF to completely dominate - i remember Wedding Dress being a particular highlight.

have to saw i never really got into the soulsavers. i'll have to revisit their records but i remember being nonplussed by them. i did go see him live w/soulsavers & didn't think it was great. i was especially annoyed as the gig clashed w/a W.A.S.P. gig taking place next door that i'd have been going to except it was announced after i'd bought my soulsavers tix... missed out on a 20min version of The Idol that wasted night...

re: the competition w/Spz, fortunately for me Lanegan played the week or two before Spz came to town this yr. it worked out well, as a little warm up gig. needed that practice run-out.. didn't help me much come the morning after the Spz gig, but still it was fun while it lasted...

that acoustic tour lanegan did now seems even stranger given the context & content of the album that followed. that tour has very little in common w/what came immediately after. it's one of the reasons, probably, why BF was such a refreshing surprise.

& that voice, yea... i remember exactly the first few mins of the first time i was at one of his concerts & my mate tapped me on the shoulder & said, "is that his real voice?!"
& every time i'm in the same room as him it continues to astonish: it feels like even my memory & hype of how amazing his voice is doesn't actually come close the power of the reality: words cant do it justice, it's a fantastic instrument, like an orchestra of the damned waterfalling out of one mouth, it just hits you straight away & paralyses you in its grasp.
gonna burn brightly
for a while