Primal Scream - Dunoon Queen's Hall - June 16 2012

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Primal Scream - Dunoon Queen's Hall - June 16 2012

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gotta mention this, surprisingly little online about this show which I was lucky enough to have witnessed a few weekends ago -

AMAZING! Perhaps it was due to the small - nay, tiny venue itself (800 or so capacity?) but I enjoyed this gig as much, if not more so than the epochal Screamadelica show a few years ago. The band were on blinding form throughout, and Debbie MBV was doing an excellent job on subterranean bass vibrations. Bobby Gillespie appeared to be at least half his real age - shades of Dorian Gray or something - and was on excellent form: he introduced an epic take of 'Higher To The Sun' by mentioning Syd Barret (and The Pink Floyd) had played that very stage 44 years ago. Surely not, I thought a few days later, once the Jaegerbombs had worn off... but no, it's true, the Sun says so and everything! http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... unoon.html

Anyway. The played two new songs and a mixture of Screamadelica tunes and other classics - no 'Miss Lucifer' or 'Skull X' (or indeed any of Evil Heat sadly) but a storming version of 'Swastika Eyes' went down great earlier on.
I believe the set was the same as the previous nights show in Aberdeen - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/primal-sc ... f29cf.html

Starting off with a brand new track was a bold move (although if they played the whole new album it would have been immense :wink: ) and '2012' was deep, dark, twisted and psychedelic.

However, for me the absolute peak of the show was with the second new song, named 'Relativity' according to that link.

WOW. Fucking hell! It started off sounding a bit like PiL, only with these mad Nirvana-esque choruses in which the whole band came in on big and heavy, and then jumped back into the groove on a heartbeat. By this point I was getting lost and delirious down the front. Sounded more like guitar loops and stuff than actual riffs, with heavy evil electronic noise thrown over the top a la 'Deep Hit of Morning Sun'. This tune seemed to build to some crazy noise frenzy and then suddenly everything dropped away and it sorta glided out for a good while, and sounded a bit like 'Midnight Cowboy'(!). I remember Innes and Barrie were singing with Bobby in this part. I can't really remember it now but the next day I couldn't get these beautiful cyclical chords out of my head.

It might just be the greatest Primal Scream song yet - I certainly thought so that night. 'The epic, psychedelic spirit of Screamadelica fused with the dark electronic intensity of XTRMNTR/Evil Heat...' - there's the NME's soundbite already... :wink:

What a show. Very eagerly awaiting the next Scream album...
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Primal Scream - Dunoon Queen's Hall - June 16 2012

Post by MODLAB »

God! Sounds amazing. The new stuff sounds great! Scream gigs have always catapulted me.

Hope all is well B.

Mark
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I spotted some new tracks had been played over on the Scream forum. Thanks for more of a insight into what they sounded like. It sounds like a monumental night!

I think there next album is going to be something pretty special, what with David Holmes and Jagz Kooner involved, And from the description of the new songs. Thanks for the run down man!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Great, I can't wait to hear the new album now! Only one song from XTRMTNR and nothing from Vanishing Point!!! Bummer, but I suppose they're really killing the Screamadelica material since they've been touring it recently.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Really looking forward to their headline set at Festival Number 6 in September. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Shinesalight wrote:Really looking forward to their headline set at Festival Number 6 in September. 8)
Ditto. However, for me, Spz, New Order, then the Scream in that order of preference. Some great cultural additions to the bill in recent weeks as well
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sounds class. :D Anyone know when the album is due for?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five