Bardo Pond UK Tour

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Bardo Pond UK Tour

Post by angelsighs »

details are scant, I can find Birmingham Hare & Hounds on Aug 1st, and London Cargo on Aug 2nd..

the Hare and Hounds is rapidly going up in my estimations, they are putting some really good bands on there.

they were awesome when I saw them a few years back, can't wait!
redcloud
Known user

Re: Bardo Pond UK Tour

Post by redcloud »

Man, I really wish Pond would come to the west coast. When was the last time they played over here? The mileage is similar to traveling to England but I am assuming it would be cheaper than going over to the UK. Last time I saw them live was at the Cargo in London back in 2006. Also saw them at the ICA in London. Great band.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: Last time I saw them live was at the Cargo in London back in 2006. Also saw them at the ICA in London. Great band.
I was at both of those - the Bardos remain an astonishing live band. I even met you at the Cargo gig!

Hope they play in my part of the world before I go away with the family!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

also playing Bristol on 5th Aug

surely a northern date is on the cards too?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: I was at both of those - the Bardos remain an astonishing live band. I even met you at the Cargo gig!
Brilliant night (both of them). Shame our car got towed at the Cargo gig and we had to catch a cab home (100+ quid fare. Then, the next day we had to go out to fucking Dartford to get our car, which cost a couple hundred quid. Not to mention the babysitter, the tickets, the drinks, the train fair to Dartford and the loss of work the next day to get the car). The ten quid gig ended up being THE most expensive show I have ever gone to.

Still, it was fucking great! :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

last time i saw them was at the blackbird in portland in 2002. it would be really nice to see them again.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ticket booked for Birmingham Hare and Hounds on Wednesday. My first timer seeing them, seriously looking forward to this. Any others on here heading to this, if so gimme me a shout.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Ticket booked for Birmingham Hare and Hounds on Wednesday. My first timer seeing them, seriously looking forward to this. Any others on here heading to this, if so gimme me a shout.
I'm also going to this, maybe we could have a pint
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There appears to be almost no other dates for these guys. Massively disappointing I have to say...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

angelsighs wrote:
Aquarian-Time wrote:Ticket booked for Birmingham Hare and Hounds on Wednesday. My first timer seeing them, seriously looking forward to this. Any others on here heading to this, if so gimme me a shout.
yep I'm up for that, wont be there till about 8

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by Aquarian-Time on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
yep I'm up for that, wont be there till about 8 (number is 07714 488116)

Cheers

Dave
great, nice one, I'll drop you a text. not sure if you want to delete that post... not sure if its good to have your mobile no. out there on the net?

looking forward to tomorrow night, will be my second time seeing the band
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I'm a bit late on this (like with everything else) but I'm also going to this and I've never seen them before.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

You lucky fellas. I wish I could see Pond again. I don't know what would convince them to tour this far west though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible, I feel your pain but usually its us here in the midlands that get skipped out when bands do tours!

anyone going tonight i'll be wearing my Spz t shirt if anyone wants to say hi
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:There appears to be almost no other dates for these guys. Massively disappointing I have to say...
You're in luck...they are playing your favorite spot on Oct 21 - Brudenell Social Club. Isn't that the venue you say has best sound and atmosphere?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

As an encore, Bardo Pond played Maggot Brain. How fucking bizzare. And not only played it, they nailed it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:There appears to be almost no other dates for these guys. Massively disappointing I have to say...
You're in luck...they are playing your favorite spot on Oct 21 - Brudenell Social Club. Isn't that the venue you say has best sound and atmosphere?
:shock:
You sure? I can find no listings...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
redcloud wrote:
:shock:
You sure? I can find no listings...
Well, according to their website ('Hummingbird Mountain) they are playing Oct 21. But, on closer inspection I see it is 2011! :oops:

Time for their site to be refreshed.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

These dates have been kept to an absolute minimum due to drummer and his wife/partner recently having a baby, although the band are hopeful to add a few more UK shows in the fall. That's what I was told after the show.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

How was it?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shaun wrote:As an encore, Bardo Pond played Maggot Brain. How fucking bizzare. And not only played it, they nailed it.
WOW! :shock:
O P 8
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Awesome gig, mini forum meet up with Shaun, Angelsighs and his mate(whose name I forget :shock: )

Good crowd, not full, but nor far off (think it holds 300, so probably over 200 in easily.

I was initially taken with how young looking the lead singer appeared (in fact I was quite taken with her full stop !). The band ripped straight into a new one, which was absolutely spellbinding and very much set the scene. Just once, rumination and Cracker Wrists followed and I was in my element as indeed were the band. Loud when it needed to be, brooding and dark as deemed neccessary, for every lull, the band grabbed you by your very senses and gave you a good shake, and you were back with them again. They played Isle and Dont Know about you, iterspersed with some more new songs and stuff I wasnt altogether sure what they were called. The final song of the set was an absolute epic, and I was drained, they then came back and ripped into Maggott Brain and all was well with the world.
Fine, fine gig, my first but definately not last time seeing them.
Good to catch up for a pre gig natter with the aforemntioned forumites and hopefully catch up with them at a gig soon
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I thought it was a really great show, the sound was clear and chunky (and quite bassy, could really feel the bass)
the highlight for me may have been Maggot Brain too.. I didn't make the connection until Shaun said, but it was a great version that went on for ages with some great wah wah work.
there was also an epic song near the end of the main set that had some clean chiming guitar parts over noise that I really enjoyed.
I'm not gonna lie, there were moments where my attention wandered a little but they always seemed to pull it back somehow.

glad you have the setlist knowledge Aquarian-Time as I drew a blank on that one, being no expert. the only one I recognised was Rumination. I think they mentioned that a couple of songs were brand new too?

was nice to meet Shaun and Aquarian Time too, I'm sure our paths will cross again :)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Yeah it was nice meeting up with guys and having a chin wag beforehand. I asked about why they played Maggot Brain and the singer said that was all they had left from rehearsals and decided to do it. A song I never ever expected to hear live at a gig but now that I have, I'm very glad it was Bardo Pond that did it. Near the end it felt like the bass was lifting off my t shirt it was that heavy. The rest of the gig was pretty cool too. First time seeing them and very impressed.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I was initially taken with how young looking the lead singer appeared
Well the band have together for over 20 years so Isobel isn't that young - must be around 40!