CAVE : Aug. 5th : Cobra Lounge : Chicago

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

TheWarmth
Known user

CAVE : Aug. 5th : Cobra Lounge : Chicago

Post by TheWarmth »

This was probably one of the weirdest shows I've ever been to. The gig was supposed to happen at the Logan Square Park Pool, but the promotor failed to get the necessary police license, so it was moved to the parking lot of Cobra Lounge, which is a heavy metal bar, although they don't strictly book that style of music. When Cooper first told me it was in the parking lot, I just figured it was going to be a BBQ kind of thing. Makes sense. The weather was perfect. CAVE were scheduled for 8pm. The first thing I noticed when I got there was a huge inflatable slip 'n' slide. There were about 75 people there and probably 15 or 20 were soaking wet from the slip 'n' slide. Strange. PBR tall boys were free, so that was a cool bonus, but there were no trash cans that I could see, so there were empty cans strewn all over. I'd say there were about 30 people actually watching CAVE, maybe less. It was a small space, so they were right next to the slide. This was my first time seeing them with their new guitarist and I wasn't disappointed. All of the new material sounded fantastic. It was really cool to hear dual guitars on a few tracks, one of which featured Cooper absolutely shredding a solo that blew me away. I'm now convinced that replacing the synth with a second guitar was a good move for them. They just don't need synth on every song. I'm bad with instrumental song titles, so unfortunately, I can't name off the older material they played. The rhythm section is still an absolute killing machine. Anyone in Europe should watch out for them, as they head there in the middle of September for about a month.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: CAVE : Aug. 5th : Cobra Lounge : Chicago

Post by Shinesalight »

I wonder why they're not playing any UK dates while they're on tour in Europe? :? :(

Tour Dates
9/19/12Madrid
9/20/12Leon
9/21/12Oviedo
9/22/12Santiago de Compostela
9/23/12Victoria
9/25/12Nantes
9/27/12Paris
9/28/12Antwerp
9/29/12Charleroi
9/30/12Rotterdam
10/1/12Brussels
10/2/12Berlin
10/3/12Leipzig
10/4/12Bern
10/5/12Lausanne
10/6/12Colmar
10/7/12Geneva
10/8/12Lyon
10/10/12Valencia
10/11/12Granada
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I asked. Work Visas are too expensive and only worthwhile if they play a ton of UK shows. I guess the pay in the UK isn't that great, either, for a band of their level in terms of draw and venue size.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Replacing the synth for a 2nd guitar is a great idea all bands should adopt!
gonna burn brightly
for a while