UK Tour

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

thebee11
New user

UK Tour

Post by thebee11 »

What kind of set list can we expect for the forthcoming UK tour? Predominantly Sweet Light Sweet Heart or a good mixture?

Never seen Spiritualized live before so can't wait! :D
stevelee101
Known user

Re: UK Tour

Post by stevelee101 »

After the last Albert Hall gig, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a full set of Showaddywaddy covers. :lol:
Tricky to guess set lists really... on past form likely a couple from Sweet Heart, not a lot - if anything - from A + E and a whole host of older stuff with, usually, something that's not had an airing for years and years and years....
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I'd be very happy seeing the exact same set as the last RAH gig (including orchestra & choir of course) - that was probably the most enjoyable and interesting Spz gig I've ever seen.

However with just the electric band, I'd love to hear You Lie You Cheat again, and another highlight of the A&E tours, Lay Back in the Sun. Also Sway was amazing at the RAH, but with the exception of Hey Jane I just don't think the rest of SHSL works so well without additional orchestration etc, though Heading For The Top and I Am What I Am could be interesting to hear, far more so than Mary or Life is a Problem which I think have already been played live in 2012.

What I really want to see is the spirited Take Your Time come back, preferably followed by Smile > Things Will Never Be The Same to finish, though a rousing Take Me To The Other Side would suffice - it's just I've heard that many more times than the former.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

mojo filters wrote:I'd be very happy seeing the exact same set as the last RAH gig (including orchestra & choir of course) - that was probably the most enjoyable and interesting Spz gig I've ever seen.

However with just the electric band, I'd love to hear You Lie You Cheat again, and another highlight of the A&E tours, Lay Back in the Sun. Also Sway was amazing at the RAH, but with the exception of Hey Jane I just don't think the rest of SHSL works so well without additional orchestration etc, though Heading For The Top and I Am What I Am could be interesting to hear, far more so than Mary or Life is a Problem which I think have already been played live in 2012.

What I really want to see is the spirited Take Your Time come back, preferably followed by Smile > Things Will Never Be The Same to finish, though a rousing Take Me To The Other Side would suffice - it's just I've heard that many more times than the former.
I'm a bit over the Spacemen 3 wig out to end the gig. If I had my choice of old set closers I would plump for a 15-minute version of These Blues, with extra wha-monica and feedback.......bliss.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

These Blues would be amazing, but I guess I was being realistic. Has it even been played live since Sean Cook and Kate Radley were in the band?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

*scratches head* :?:
This thread reads a bit like the March tour never happened.. I loved the gig at the ABC, thought the setlist was great. Hey Jane and Heading for the Top were definite highlights, and there was a fantastic version of Cop Shoot Cop to finish with, which I enjoyed more than TMTTOS during previous tours!

I agree about YLYC, my favourite off A+E and I'd love to hear it live again.

To the o.p: expect > 90min, maybe 4-5 songs off SHSL, and the rest a good mixture. Songs from AG, L&G and PP dominated the spring setlists, but I expect he will have mixed things up again since.

Still on the subject on the UK tour, I'll be travelling on my own to Gateshead for the night, so are any meetups/pre-gig drinks happening?
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

I Think I'm In Love is soooo overdue a return!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

mojo filters wrote:These Blues would be amazing, but I guess I was being realistic. Has it even been played live since Sean Cook and Kate Radley were in the band?
They played it at the Live Music Hall in Cologne on 26 Feb 2002, still my favorite Spz gig. I haven't heard it since, even though I've seen them around 30 times on just about every tour since. I'd like to see Feel so Sad, saw that acoustic version but still to see an electric version. I lucked out just before the Edinburgh/RAH gigs...

From http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... =2&t=10171
Re: Thoughts on the career spanning setlist.......
by Jasonsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:40 pm

After dropping good dope good fun into the last tour set list to the surprise of everybody, which one track would you like to hear? I vote for sway, the version from the gothenberg '93 boot is amazing.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Jasonsmith wrote:
mojo filters wrote:These Blues would be amazing, but I guess I was being realistic. Has it even been played live since Sean Cook and Kate Radley were in the band?
They played it at the Live Music Hall in Cologne on 26 Feb 2002, still my favorite Spz gig. I haven't heard it since, even though I've seen them around 30 times on just about every tour since. I'd like to see Feel so Sad, saw that acoustic version but still to see an electric version. I lucked out just before the Edinburgh/RAH gigs...

From http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... =2&t=10171
Re: Thoughts on the career spanning setlist.......
by Jasonsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:40 pm

After dropping good dope good fun into the last tour set list to the surprise of everybody, which one track would you like to hear? I vote for sway, the version from the gothenberg '93 boot is amazing.
I was at that gig in Cologne. It was amazing but slightly quiet for my taste.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

These Blues on the LICD tour? wow, very interesting!

Jason always plays a good mixture of songs from across the catalogue. the last set I saw in Oxford was a nice mix but it didn't really hang together for me. I'm sure he's mixed it up again for this leg, I'm very interested in seeing what songs he may have brought back.

in terms of old songs I'd also love to see You Lie You Cheat come back, and in an ideal world Do't Just Do Something.

in terms of SHSL I'd love to see Too Late or Get What You Deserve.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Heading for the top was by far the highlight of the Manchester show for me. I may cry if that doesn't get played in Leeds. I think Heading for the top, I am what I am, Get what you deserve and Hey Jane are superb songs, and all should be in the setlist.

These blues would be a good alternate final song, but my preference would be a wigged out I want You - with 200 bars as an encore (pure fantasy island)

In general I'd like less Amazing Grace tracks or different ones, Hold on is my favourite from that album.

Baby I'm just a fool would be a real treat. Let it flow, Good Times, Lay back in the sun. Medication!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote: Baby I'm just a fool would be a real treat.
I'll second that!
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

angelsighs wrote:
clewsr wrote: Baby I'm just a fool would be a real treat.
I'll second that!
Thirded - I always thought that this would be a great opener, with the sublime wig-out at the end collapsing into the classic free jazz before going into Shine A Light.

Given how fantastic it was to hear unexpected favourites such as Stay With Me, Stay and Lay Back In The Sun on previous tours, I'd love to hear either The Slide Song or Don't Just Do Something. Too optimistic?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Frankly, it's about time they did a cover of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit In The Sky"

It could be such a good gospel number. Lots of hand-claps and a pentecostal choir. Lovely.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

listened to 'pure phase' all the way throygh for the first time in years last night- he should just do that all the way through.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:Thirded - I always thought that this would be a great opener, with the sublime wig-out at the end collapsing into the classic free jazz before going into Shine A Light.

Given how fantastic it was to hear unexpected favourites such as Stay With Me, Stay and Lay Back In The Sun on previous tours, I'd love to hear either The Slide Song or Don't Just Do Something. Too optimistic?
I've just been listening to a boot from Glasgow ABC earlier this year, and the standout track was Stay With Me ... if we get to hear that in Gateshead Sage tonight, I guarantee I'll come away a happy man.

A track from LICD such as Don't Just Do Something would be a real bonus, as would just about anything from that album ... but a decent live rendition of Lay Back in The Sun would be the cherry on the icing on the cake on the plate at the wedding of songwriting brilliance to live performance 8)

Here's to the Sage tonight!
Dave Chappelle
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Set list pic on @officialspzd twitter feed. Reviews please!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Thanks for posting that. Looks like they are playing some new songs and a new SP3 cover!

The picture on the Twitter Feed of the Vivid Festival in Sydney brings back some happy memories. The projections onto the Customs House were mind blowing.......
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

As a non-twitterer can someone divulge the set list please? Anxious to see what the new Spacemen 3 number is.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

You should be able to view this if you don't have twitter as i don't :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/officialSpzd/status ... 77/photo/1

Setlist looks pretty good!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Sage was very good tonight ...very good indeed :D

Take Your Time was a really welcome return, with Doggen coaxing some magic psychedelic sounds out of his guitar.

Come Down Easy was glorious 8)

edited to reflect my improved memory in the cold light of day
Last edited by mojo filters on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Chappelle
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Was the 'Won't get to heaven' the LICD song or Life's a problem? :D
tony wah
Known user

Post by tony wah »

"1987 all I want to do is get stoned" - I nearly creamed when Mr. P played it.

The Sage was a bit of a goody. Excellent support from Roy and the Devil's Motorcycle a cracking version of Will the Circle be Unbroken.
tony wah
Known user

Post by tony wah »

Forgot to mention Take your Time was good as well and it had me siging along which is always a bonus, although it was the quick/shortened version not the epic that can be found on the Let it Flow cd.