Nov 2012- sage reactions

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Nov 2012- sage reactions

Post by toomilk »

Ok, I'm starting a new topic. I'm on my phone, so typing is hard.

Here are the highlights:

-Jason on other side than he is. Gasp.
-2 new songs!!!!!
-played come down easy, smiles, take your time.
-very different arrangements of some new (SHSL) songs.
-Jason had a Sun Ra-esque keyboard solo at the end of get what you deserve. First time he's ever played keyboards on stage!?

New songs: one was really bluesy- 12 bar blues, Jason played lead over it. Sounded fucking great.
- 2nd was straight 60s pop. Very gushy love song. One stand out line: "I'll take the birds and teach them to sing every love song for you." Good stuff.

The most different arrangements were "I am what I am" and "too late." Both gave me goosebumps. The former had a completely different guitar line played by Jason that changed up the entire song.

J seemed to be playing most of the leads, not doggen.
simonkeeping
Known user

Re: Nov 2012- sage reactions

Post by simonkeeping »

Wow, New songs! I was expecting a similar set to the last leg of the tour.

And this:
Jason had a Sun Ra-esque keyboard solo at the end of get what you deserve. First time he's ever played keyboards on stage!?
:shock:

Sounds like it was a good night!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

toomilk wrote:
-Jason had a Sun Ra-esque keyboard solo at the end of get what you deserve. First time he's ever played keyboards on stage!?
Wild!!! That sounds sick. Can't wait to start hearin' some boots of these shows.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I'm typing this while on a train back up to Edinburgh - it was quite an impulsive decision to book tickets for a weeknight show far away from home & I'm suffering a bit now, but overall it was worth it. I couldn't turn down the chance to see Spiritualized at the magnificent Sage again, after making the snowy drive down for the Ladies And Gentlemen show here in 2009 which remains my favourite Spiritualized show ever & one of my all-time favourite shows. Here are my thoughts:

- I felt sad that the show was quite sparsely attended compared to last time. I did wonder if there would be enough interest to fill Hall One - I don't think any of the balconies were used, were they? I was in the pit, which was quite uncrowded. It was also a shame that there were no strobes - the noisier songs always get taken to another level when you're being blinded at the same time (I still feel like I saw demons in the lights during Electricity here in 2009).

- Jason on the left was quite a shock! We're not exactly talking dance routines or telling jokes between songs (can you even imagine??), but it was good to see his other side. I wondered if he had some Mariah Carey thing going on previously.

- I feel a little disappointed in the setlist, in that it was too SHSL-heavy for my liking (they played every song from it, but dotted around the set). I feel a bit hypocritical in saying this, as I was ecstatic when Jason had the balls to play the new, amazing, unheard album in full in Edinburgh & at the Royal Albert Hall last year. But given the strength of their back catalogue, I can't help but wish we could have heard a bit more from PP, LICD and A&E. I was REALLY hoping we'd hear Let It Flow with the backing singers.

- Right, that's my negative points done. What they did play was fantastic. Headin' For The Top was astonishing, with Doggen's shrieking guitar work getting more and more intense. Hey Jane's breakdown & start-up always gets me. I love Life Is A Problem so it was good to hear that again (although I do think the album version with the strings is the best version). I liked the new songs, especially the second which sounded unashamedly romantic and a bit upbeat & spritely. The line "I'll teach the birds all the words to every love song and tell them to sing them to you" (this may not be entirely accurate) was lovely. And the encore of Come Down Easy and Smiles was superb, although Smiles did end almost too quickly (maybe I was expecting Things Will Never Be The Same to be played too).

- Jason was quite cheerful, wasn't he? I've never seen him smile so much onstage (again, we're hardly talking Marti Pellow, but still).

- My absolute highlight was definitely Take Your Time. Just magnificent. "You know I've been thinking 'bout not coming down"...

- Overall, I can't help but miss some of the songs they could have played instead of, say, Too Late or Freedom. And the show lacked a little something from the absence of being assaulted by the lights. But it all sounded great in a cracking venue and it was worth coming down again as I suspect we might not see them tour in the UK for a while.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

woooo, quite excited now. Good reports...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I was toying with the idea of a long away day to watch this leg of the tour, but that set list has put me right off. Too late and Freedom !!. Way too SHSL heavy, 5-6 off that album would be fine. Gonna give this a swerve me thinks, save my pennies for TY Segall's merch stand !

Great reports though, new songs sound interesting as do the new arrangements
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for all the info guys, this has got me rather excited for Sunday night! sounds like its really going to be a different kind of show to last time.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I was toying with the idea of a long away day to watch this leg of the tour, but that set list has put me right off. Too late and Freedom !!. Way too SHSL heavy, 5-6 off that album would be fine. Gonna give this a swerve me thinks, save my pennies for TY Segall's merch stand !

Great reports though, new songs sound interesting as do the new arrangements
fair point, but Smiles, Take Your Time and Come Down easy all a very welcome return, together with new songs this soon after a new album is very exciting. I was more worried about hearing the same set as last time.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Set list:

Hey Jane
Electricity
Get what you deserve
Little Girl
Too late
Take Your Time
Heading for the top
Freedom
I am what I am
Mary
Life is a problem
So long
'A' Song
Perfect Miracle
-----
Come Down Easy
Smiles

Edit: Note that only one SHSL song is missing.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I wouldn't have chosen so much SHSL material, but the way it was interspersed with other great stuff, plus the new arrangements on some songs, meant the gig didn't seem so SHSL-heavy compared to reading the setlist. And the dreary Freedom signalled the perfect mid-gig opportunity for a trip to the bar and a quick smoke.

I'm really glad I didn't know the setlist beforehand, as I think I'd have pre-judged what was actually a fantastic musical experience (though the lighting was shite, and the stage looked a bit spartan and cheap). The interesting surprises punctuated the SHSL songs to really good effect.

I would hope for a better visual experience in the other venues on this leg of the tour, where decent lighting etc come as part of the production package.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Hofstadter wrote:
toomilk wrote:
Wild!!! That sounds sick. Can't wait to start hearin' some boots of these shows.
I wouldn't consider the piano playing any kind of highlight, I didn't think what I remember hearing was much cop to be honest.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Crumbs...that's a lot more SHSL material than I was expecting to be honest. Comparing this set list to the shows in Hackney, Manchester and Glasgow from earlier in the year, we've gone from 5 or 6 SHSL songs to all ten lf them! As a direct comparison it looks like they've traded Lord Let it Rain, She Kissed Me, Lay Back in The Sun, Oh Baby, Rated X, Born Never Asked, Electric Mainline, Stay With Me and Cop Shoot Cop from those earlier shows for a couple more SHSL songs, Take Your Time, Come Down Easy, Smiles and 2 new songs this time round. It certainly looks like there was more variety earlier in the year but I will wait till I see them next week in London and Brighton to pass judgement on what proves to be the better set list/shows.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Two new songs plus Come Down Easy and Smiles! That's peaked my interest i have to say.
Was Smiles done in the FUI/Glasto '93 style or more like the version on the AG Tour? Or perhaps a new arrangement entirely? Am I correct in thinking they've never played Come Down Easy before?

Hopefully we'll get an Irish date early next year, was very surprised Ireland wasn't included in this leg of the tour.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they've never played Come Down Easy before, but didn't Jason play a version with one of the support acts recently? maybe that's what gave him the idea to bring it back.

say what you like about SHSL (it's not my fave Spz album) but I like the fact he is proudly presenting it like this, and also shaking things up (well, a little- baby steps and all that)

really looking forward to Sunday's show in Coventry now, I was deliberating whether to go as the last show I saw was just okay, and didn't want just the same setlist again. this new set is going to be interesting at the very least.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Drop Freedom and Mary, bring in These Blues and Anyway...
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I don't like typing on my phone but still plenty of time to kill before I get on the train.

I agree with a lot of the comments above in fact. The sound was fantastic, but disappointed with the venue otherwise.
Overall slightly disappointed compared to the March ABC gig but that was always going to be a hard one to beat!
I felt Hey Jane lacked energy, Little Girl, Freedom, Mary I could've done without - as has been said previously mostly because he's got so much else to choose from. I like Life is a Problem but there was nothing special about that version.

Now the good bits were totally brilliant! Good to hear Take your Time again, Heading for the Top was epic (Doggen!), So Long more like last year's gigs than the shorter album version. Come Down Easy definitely a highlight! Smiles actually felt a bit short, but maybe I got too used to having TMTTOS or Cop Shoot Cop to close gigs with.
Of the 2 new songs I liked the first one a lot more: heavy stompy and yes slightly bluesy.
The 2nd one I thought sounded like a rework of LAGWAFIS at least through the 1st verse. Pretty but much too sweet for me (esp after all of SHSL!)

No regrets travelling for this gig - I wasn't blown away as I was in March, but overall the high points made up for the more underwhelming ones.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

James T wrote:Drop Freedom and Mary, bring in These Blues and Anyway...
sounds good to me
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Both take your time and smiles were done in the AG tour style.

Sounded PHENOMINAL nonetheless.
Hebburnlee
New user

Post by Hebburnlee »

I saw Spiritualized at The Sage in 2007 and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Last night was 7/10. The set list was far too heavy on SHSL and towards the end got a bit 'samey'. Personally I'd rather have seen four of the SHSL tracks dropped in favour of much better older songs. Also, the venue was probably a quarter full and I much prefer the intimacy of Hall 2.

All that said, I'm glad I went and I look forward to seeing one of my favourite bands again in a few years time!
thagan
New user

Post by thagan »

Great show 2 hours of amazing songs. Yes heavy on the new album but afer seeing them at RAH last year had thought it would be nice to see them do it again once I was familar with them. Lets face it you could pick a completely different 2 hour set and it would be just as good.

Yep odd Jason on the left and no strobes and a shame so many people don't return after classic album tours, well they missed a treat. Looked at the tickets left on the day online and laughed that most of right side of the hall was sold and seats remained mostly on the left of the hall. Perhaps Jason took a peek to.

Check out the support Roy and the Devil's Motorcycle, strict 1/2 hr set could of done with another 15mins. The lass from Voodoo Rhythm records selling their mech. danced her socks off all night. Their current album is worth a look, cranked it up on the way to work this morning
Vinc2
New user

Post by Vinc2 »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritual ... d45df.html

Is it true they played "Wont Get To Heaven (The State I'm In) ? It would be very strange ... but great.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Having listened to a March bootleg again.. I'm no longer sure about So Long being more like last year's.

One thing I forgot to mention... the two chorists, (I forgot her name!) who's been in the live line up since at least the Acoustic Mainlines gigs wasn't there was she?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I was at the Gateshead show too and had travelled up from Bolton to go with a mate who lives in Newcastle. We had both seen Spiritualized several times before and based on the talk on the messageboard about the career spanning setlist we were really hoping for just that. In light of the fact they had done the SHSL shows beforehand last year, we were somewhat disappointed. Having said that, the second half of Hey Jane was fantastic and Life Is A Problem constantly gets me misty eyed and brings a lump to the throat. So Long and Smiles were damn fine too.

Any likelihood now of Lazer Guided Melodies or Pure Phase being given the full album treatment.....?
Last edited by Dreamweapon on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Nov 2012

Post by BzaInSpace »

Dreamweapon wrote:We had both seen Spiritualized several times before and based on the talk on the messageboard about the career spanning setlist we were really hoping for just that...
I don't think these gigs were ever described as being "career spanning" - there is this thread http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... =2&t=10171 of course... but it dates back to early 2011 in anticipation of the RAH show, so I suspect this is where the 'confusion' lies. I am somewhat bemused by this talk of being disappointed with the setlists and stuff - from some yet to attend the shows! - I mean c'mon, Spiritualized have the audacity to draw mainly from their last album as well as playing out completely new stuff, with a few oldies in there for good measure, and people are still complaining?

Had they ignored the last record there would have been complaints too so they can't win here!

In saying that, as the RAH was described as a "career spanning" setlist, which we got after the interval, with the ever so slight bonus of hearing a brand new album live and direct and in full beforehand... people still complained about that too. Mental.

Anyway, particularly after reading Runcible's report I really, really wish I could have made one of these shows but it just ain't possible. I mean, for me, hearing most of Sweet Heart, Sweet Light but evolved and played in after a year of shows... :shock:
Dreamweapon wrote:Any likelihood now of Lazer Guided Melodies or Pure Phase being given the full album treatment.....?
You should read this great interview here http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4145 ... ritualized-
(thanks Angelsighs) which answers that and emphasies this which is important:

"I don’t care that the audience wasn’t as satisfied, that’s not why I’m into this. I’m not part of the catering industry. I’m part of this thing that hopefully pushes the boundaries..."
O P 8
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

BzaInSpace - you're completely justified in what you say and the last thing I wanted to do was potentially annoy or frustrate anyone - if that's what happened then I apologise.

I know it wasn't billed as a career spanning show, just as the RAH, Leamington and Edinburgh shows in October 2011 weren't billed as SHSL shows, I think maybe I misinterpreted the thread and the contributions from other posters as being that this is what we receive. The fact that Spz played Come Down Easy and Smiles along with new tracks and the current album does show that they played a good breath of material, and I know that there's also the old adage of not pleasing all the people all the time! Yes, had they ignored the new album, there would have been complaints - you're bang on there - after all it is what they're on tour to promote!!
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Here are a few photos I took at the Sage show. I'm quite enamoured with the b&w film grain setting on my wife's camera!
P1190183.jpg
P1190183.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190214.jpg
P1190214.jpg (86.84 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190229.jpg
P1190229.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

A few more...
P1190235.jpg
P1190235.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190237.jpg
P1190237.jpg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190255.jpg
P1190255.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Last ones:
P1190267.jpg
P1190267.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190299.jpg
P1190299.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
P1190302.jpg
P1190302.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:Here are a few photos I took at the Sage show. I'm quite enamoured with the b&w film grain setting on my wife's camera!
Great shots, thanks for sharing! What make and model of camera was thisplease?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

P1190255.jpg is a really impressive shot ... how come I never saw such stunning visuals at the show?
Dave Chappelle
titan
New user

Post by titan »

mojo filters wrote:P1190255.jpg is a really impressive shot ... how come I never saw such stunning visuals at the show?
Think that was from 'I Am What I Am' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlfbdFEYvwk
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Stunning shots there, thanks for posting
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

My pleasure! Really glad you like them. I've taken photos from a few Spiritualized shows over the years, I'll maybe find the related threads & post some there.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix digital camera - by far the best digital camera I've seen. I'm just lucky the boss lets me take it to gigs! The colour photos I took weren't as good, but I'll put that down to the sparseness of the show & visuals - the b&w setting made it look quite arty (clearly there's no professional knowledge here, it's just a cracking camera!).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Beautiful - cheers!
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:I'
- I felt sad that the show was quite sparsely attended compared to last time. I did wonder if there would be enough interest to fill Hall One - I don't think any of the balconies were used, were they? I was in the pit, which was quite uncrowded. It was also a shame that there were no strobes - the noisier songs always get taken to another level when you're being blinded at the same time (I still feel like I saw demons in the lights during Electricity here in 2009).

i saw ian mcculloch the other day and the room was just over one third full. it was very depressing to see such a great performing to such and empty room. he was on good form and sober for once too!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”