Leeds: as it happens

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

rameses
Known user

Leeds: as it happens

Post by rameses »

Live blogging from a gig (is that even allowed?!)

Support band: talented but not much of a local following so there's probably less than 100 people watching. Good sound and they're obviously giving it their all.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
toomilk
Known user

Re: Leeds: as it happens

Post by toomilk »

Good turnout after all.

Great show. Same set list as last show. They were on fire. Crowd reaction was excellent.

Met a fantastic couple (joe and Nicola), ran into mark (moderator) and his wife, and ran into Ben and his wife.

Had a blast. Highlights:

-doggen broke a string during heading for the top. Gasp.
-incredible intro noise. Sounded like a song was forming.
-no hiccups, which Newcastle had.
-loud at all the right moments.

So so so so great.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Oops, also - long noise outro to smiles. Some of the best noise I've heard them make.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

PPS:

Roy and The Devil's Motorcycle were fantastic. Everyone: get there early to see them. You won't regret it.

I also think I'm in love with their label girl.
robinj
New user

Post by robinj »

I have only seen them 6 times but last night in Leeds was really really good especially the second hour. Great crowd too so thanks to all :D
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

toomilk wrote:-doggen broke a string during heading for the top. Gasp.
At Cambridge too, during Smiles. Be coming out of his wages if he carries on like this!

Post by runcible »

That was the best Spz show I've seen in over a decade.

I must admit to starting to think Jason had lost way with guitar noise but last night he well and truly found it - there were so many amazing moments of incredible guitar sound to enjoy. The torrent of raging sound was just incredible at times. In Take Your Time the endless layers of power that kept being added were worthy of Bardo Pond - never has that song sounded so great! And there was a new track that blew guitar chunks all over the place, great gnarling riffs and clashing noise that sent tingles down my spine. Hey Jane was magnificent too - during the second part I just didn't want it to stop it was so glorious. I'm less into the quiet songs - the crowd got restless too - but another distorted nugget would come along before you knewe it so I was more than happy.

Quite a few dickheads in the crowd. That bunch of drunken twats towards the front who chucked glasses about didn't make many friends, and the wanker who threw a full pint over the crowd near the start must be proud of themselves. Also loads of talking - even during the noisy stuff people near me were catching up with their mates which never ceases to amaze me.

So a great night. Very good to catch up with Toomilk too - nice one dude...

Oh - my thumbs up to the Devil's Motorcycle mob supporting. Fucking brilliant! Like a Spacemen 3/Bo Diddley fuzzfest.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

MattBenn wrote:Played too long, and the sound was abysmal for the first half.
I thought the sound was awful for the first half of Hey Jane but after the white noise bit it improved enormously. Can't complain about the length as I know Jason will always include the quiet stuff, and the heavy shit more than made up for it.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

runcible wrote:In Take Your Time the endless layers of power that kept being added were worthy of Bardo Pond - never has that song sounded so great!
Same at Cambridge, just when I thought the song had reached the climax, Doggen just stepped it up and pulled even more from his guitar, I really couldn't work out where it was all coming from. I took friend who had never seen Spz live before and his mouth just hung open during that part.
runcible wrote:And there was a new track that blew guitar chunks all over the place, great gnarling riffs and clashing noise that sent tingles down my spine.
I hope Jason doesn't change this one too much, perfect as it is. Jason's guitar tone for that really simple but hugely effective lead line was immense!

Post by tommy_b »

Brilliant gig, and can only agree with all the positive comments made by others. It was great to hear some (recently) less played tunes getting an airing, and the way Jason and Doggen attacked their guitars was a thing of beauty! They sounded like a well drilled unit, and were really tight. Loving the new tunes as well, and I've always been a sucker for Jason's ballads, so no complaints from me in this regard.

Runcie, I was at the front, and was somewhat "refreshed" (resulting in my noisily declaring my love for Jason!) so I fear I may have contributed to your irritation. For this, I apologise. In my defence however, I was only telling my mates, and those nearby me, how fucking brilliant the band were! And kissing anyone who'd let me!!!

Out of interest, anyone know where the regular backing singers were?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

tommy_b wrote:Runcie, I was at the front, and was somewhat "refreshed" (resulting in my noisily declaring my love for Jason!) so I fear I may have contributed to your irritation. For this, I apologise. In my defence however, I was only telling my mates, and those nearby me, how fucking brilliant the band were! And kissing anyone who'd let me!!!
But did you throw empty glasses high into the air so they landed on people behind? High spirits are one thing but as long as they don't barge into others enjoyment that's cool. I just don't like being hit with stuff. It's not a Brian Jonestown Massacre show after all - anything goes at those it seems.
tommy_b
Known user

Post by tommy_b »

No glass throwing from me. Smiling and hugging people i didn't know and shouting "yeah!!!" a lot were the sum total of my sins. I did get told off for talking too loudly though by a very friendly woman who I subsequently had a nice natter with, sharing old spacemen gig experiences. I was high, not drunk, and don't go for any aggro behaviour. I'm a lover, not a fighter!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nice one. I kept looking around me and seeing lots of beaming faces - people having a great time. It was generally a really good vibe but with a couple of idiots thrown in. Pretty normal I guess!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:Oh - my thumbs up to the Devil's Motorcycle mob supporting. Fucking brilliant! Like a Spacemen 3/Bo Diddley fuzzfest.
Have you seen this before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29DTvwj5t6k

A friend turned me onto Roy and The Devil's Motorcycle a few years ago, would love to see them live.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

runcible wrote:That was the best Spz show I've seen in over a decade.

I must admit to starting to think Jason had lost way with guitar noise but last night he well and truly found it - there were so many amazing moments of incredible guitar sound to enjoy. The torrent of raging sound was just incredible at times. In Take Your Time the endless layers of power that kept being added were worthy of Bardo Pond - never has that song sounded so great! And there was a new track that blew guitar chunks all over the place, great gnarling riffs and clashing noise that sent tingles down my spine.
Great write up Runcible! Im really looking forward to seeing them play now. It seems the festival shows over the summer have given Jason some kind of epiphany. I don't know what it is and it's just speculation trying to guess whats going on in his head but he seems rejuvenated and as I said in the other thread, hungry to really rip into these songs. For you to say it's the best show you've seen them play in over a decade is a massive compliment, and very exciting news.

I have a feeling his brief foray in trying to make pop records is over for the foreseeable. With the recent talk of working with Brotzmann and Thurston Moore things are going to get nasty. Very, very nasty. Which for me is good news too.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
ElspethYorksMoore
New user

Post by ElspethYorksMoore »

Well I've to write a review for Louder Than War ... wish I could copy and paste hehehe... I'm SO tired! will include my photo link here though in case you couldn't see close up :)
www.p-b-e.smugmug.com/Music with love x

It was my 29th Spz gig so expect a heavily biased write-up!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Really great shots! Looking forward to the review!

Post by stevelee101 »

runcible wrote:That was the best Spz show I've seen in over a decade.

Quite a few dickheads in the crowd. That bunch of drunken twats towards the front who chucked glasses about didn't make many friends, and the wanker who threw a full pint over the crowd near the start must be proud of themselves. Also loads of talking - even during the noisy stuff people near me were catching up with their mates which never ceases to amaze me.

So a great night. Very good to catch up with Toomilk too - nice one dude...

Oh - my thumbs up to the Devil's Motorcycle mob supporting. Fucking brilliant! Like a Spacemen 3/Bo Diddley fuzzfest.
Re. talking / ill-mannered dickheads. It's just a sign of the times, I think. Selfish morons who don't care about anyone else and act all hurt if you tell them to shut up. And the "I / we love you, Jason," shouters... what do they think's going to happen? He'll say, "thanks mate, I love you too, give me your number and we'll go for a drink and, who knows, we might soon be bestest fwends ever, ever."? Dickheads indeed.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

runcible wrote:Quite a few dickheads in the crowd. That bunch of drunken twats towards the front who chucked glasses about didn't make many friends, and the wanker who threw a full pint over the crowd near the start must be proud of themselves. Also loads of talking - even during the noisy stuff people near me were catching up with their mates which never ceases to amaze me.
This is something I've noticed quite a bit at Spz concerts of late. People yelling out 'Dance you bastard', 'Come on Jason, smile', some moshing and generally acting like an idiot.

I'm all for people wanting to express themselves and have a good time butt not to the detriment of others' enjoyment. There must be a part of them that knows that if it was done to them, they'd be hacked off....
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Had a great time in Leeds, wish I'd been free to go to Warwick on the Sunday night - it's only 20 minutes from home.

People keep talking about the 'sweet' Perfect Miracle, but if I was hearing it correctly it's got a wonderfully bitter ending along the lines of 'Sorry I won't see you again' (following on from 'Sorry I haven't seen you today' and 'Sorry I haven't seen you this week' in the previous verses), followed by 'don't bother trying to find me I've changed my address.' (Seriously paraphrased, and if/when it's released we'll see how stupidly wrong I got it!).

Reminded me, in sentiment (rather than musically), of "You know it's true" from Lazer Guided Melodies - that whole "can't live with you/can't live without you" thing that many of us can empathise with.

The last couple of times I saw Spiritualized at The Assembly in Leamington, "Take Your Time" had that same hyper-sonic section that we witnessed in Leeds (listen to the Assembly bootlegs) so I knew it was coming - the bass moves up the scale for a few bars, and then after falling back through the scale the volume goes up to 11. And then the strobes kick in.

Bliss.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Spiby wrote: People keep talking about the 'sweet' Perfect Miracle, but if I was hearing it correctly it's got a wonderfully bitter ending along the lines of 'Sorry I won't see you again' (following on from 'Sorry I haven't seen you today' and 'Sorry I haven't seen you this week' in the previous verses), followed by 'don't bother trying to find me I've changed my address.' (Seriously paraphrased, and if/when it's released we'll see how stupidly wrong I got it!).
yeah something like that. it was nice
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spiby wrote: The last couple of times I saw Spiritualized at The Assembly in Leamington, "Take Your Time" had that same hyper-sonic section that we witnessed in Leeds (listen to the Assembly bootlegs) so I knew it was coming - the bass moves up the scale for a few bars, and then after falling back through the scale the volume goes up to 11. And then the strobes kick in.

Bliss.
I remember that very well too! it was probably one of the best Take Your Time outro's I've seen them do. the wah wah really hit the spot and the strobes were perfect. it seems to be one of their songs they just can't go wrong with, to be fair.