Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Starfish
Known user

Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry

Post by Starfish »

Did something happen to my ears or did Take Your Time suddently explode with a surge of volume half way through? That was fantastic.

The last half hour was really brilliant. Two new songs, the first one a bar blues jam but droney enough to make it special, and a softer one which seemed to have a bit of humour in the lyrics.

Electric Mainline (Clear Light/Clear Rush) was amazingly hypnotic, complete with old school Spacemen projector lights.

Highlight for me, though, was Come Down Easy - I don't think I've ever heard it live. Has it been played since the Spacemen split?

So glad I went - it was a late decision... bought the ticket at 7.30 and then bombed down the A45 to Cov.
Caught the support act Roy & The Devil's Motorcycle and thought they were so good I bought a CD. Great droney jams and a Spacemen-style inertia on stage. CD has a wonderfully unhinged version of May The Circle Be Unbroken on it.

Not many there though. Loads of spare seats and loads of room standing at the front for an unobstructed view.

Not sure how to embed pics, so here's a link http://www.twitpic.com/bafsf4
lemonjelly
New user

Re: Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry

Post by lemonjelly »

First time poster...

I was wondering about the experience, given the concerns some have expressed on these boards regarding the set list. Below is a C&P I've done of a post I put on another forum (not music related- but there is a music thread).

Went to see the amazing Spiritualized last night at Warwick Arts centre.
Touring to support their latest opus - Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. IMO it is the best album since LAGWIFAS.

LAGWIFAS was the first tour I saw them on, & they were amazing! Never seen a band so on the button, well rehearsed, & timing wise they were epic. Seen them 3-4 times since, & they never quite hit the same high - generally good, but there were sections of the gigs I didn't quite get into as intensely. The same could be said of the albums (eg Let it come down has moments of epic-ness, but also what imo could be called a bit of filler).

In the run up to the gig, I looked at a couple of forums etc & saw fans being concerned that the setlist was mainly the new album.

Having gone to the gig, I have to say the album sounds amazing live, in the same way that LAGWIFAS did. The gig was superb. Sound was spot on, & the band were on form.

The new album works really well live. Plus, I can hardly blame J Spaceman mixing up his live repertoire. After all, not long ago they were doing LAGWIFAS in full, & surely they/he must want some variety in what he plays.

Anyways. Fucking superb.

Crowd was a bit minimal - disappointed in the turn out to be honest.

I'm off to dig out the live at the albert hall album...
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

We travelled up for the gig and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was great to hear 'Sweet heart sweet light' in it's entirity. The new songs sounded great and some of the older songs sounded amazing, especially the finale!

Agree about the attendance tho, Not too many there in a big venue but, very subdued atmosphere and quiet between songs. Still, one of the best Spz gigs for me. :D
Hey Jayne
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Starfish wrote:Did something happen to my ears or did Take Your Time suddently explode with a surge of volume half way through? That was fantastic.
Told you so! Truly amazing!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Turn out was shocking! Really didn't get going for me until about mid way through, but that was cause of the truly weird atmosphere. Definitely one of the poorest attended gigs I've seen, where was everyone? Still, I had a great night! So long... Is such a top song live, even freedom (which bores the hell out of me on LP) was great. Brilliant show all in all, the crowd thing really did spoil it a bit though.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Same set list, a few hiccups, but sounded great. I don't think Jason's keyboards were on. Couldn't here then at all.

Fun night overall. Hungover like none other though. Ugh.
PontiacB
Known user

Post by PontiacB »

Agree very poor turnout. It said on the website it was 1500-2000 capacity depending on layout used - I would have guessed the lower of those values, but barely a fifth full on my reckoning, maybe 300-400? I had the whole of row L to myself pretty much as decided I couldn't hack standing for 2 and a half hours after a long run during the day.

Nice building and nice venue though and free parking.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the very sparse attendance was weird but the band played well, although it only really ignited in the second half. a good show but not a vintage one.
highlights for me were I Am What I Am, Heading for The Top and Take Your Time (was blown away by the volume surge at the end of this, kinda wish the rest of set could have had bits with that same impact).
I like both new songs, especially the first one which isn't strictly a 12 bar blues per se, more of a noisy juggernaut. second one is sweet and poppy, could fit in on A&E or SHSL.
sorry, still don't like Little Girl or Freedom much! and (SACRILEGE) didn't particularly enjoy Come Down Easy.

nice to meet you again toomilk , and James T! had a good laugh.

other random notes:

-really enjoyed the support act- the naff name put me off but they were great. juicy guitar tones!
-yup Jason's keyboard was totally inaudible
-I think we spotted a guy (roadie?) playing 3rd guitar offstage for some of the songs??
-Doggen is using an e-bow on a few songs now, including, most aptly, the Hey Jane riff
-SHSL songs have very subtle rearrangements- Get What You Deserve has a different feel yet again.
-shortest and most compact Electric Mainline I've ever heard, and all the better for it.
-strangely, I really enjoyed the little opening bit of tuning up/jamming
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Nice to meet you too! Still can't believed I got out-adidas'd by the guy with the tails.