Roundhouse.

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

MODLAB
Site Admin

Roundhouse.

Post by MODLAB »

It was better than 95.

B,

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Roundhouse.

Post by angelsighs »

nice one!
apparently they played Ladies and gents last night?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Sounds like it was a good night! Any more info?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Played most - if not all - of the tracks from the latest long player (fantastic version of Heading for the Top), 6 older tracks (Electricity, Take Your Time, Electric Mainline, Ladies and Gents, Come Down Easy and Smiles), plus the two new tracks. On stage for nearly two and a half hours.

Take Your Time and Electric Mainline were absolutely brilliant. Ladies and Gents was the first encore. Best Spiritualized gig since the Union Chapel one for me. The end of Smiles was a real sonic assault - nice and loud and noisey!

Ste
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

We got Ladies & Gents and a real treat, Come Down Easy which I never heard the Spacemen or Spiritualized play live.

I thought the energy dipped after Electricity and was difficult to concentrate during the quieter SH, SL numbers due to people wanting to have a conversation (this was pretty much at the front too). I gave up for a while and went for a cigarette outside.

Things seemed to pick up again for Heading for the Top and Get What You Deserve, really good to hear Take Your Time and Smiles again. The 1st new number they played was an absolute stormer, loved this straight away, the other new song was kinda pretty too.

Very good but not great but not the band’s fault, I thought they played well but was a distinctly Monday night feel about this and the inevitable people who seem to go to be seen rather than listen did spoil a tiny bit IMO.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Couple of mates of mine came away unconvinced by this show, so people seem to be split - Nick's review says a lot. When I think of how great that venue is that's disappointing.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I have to agree with nickh about the audience. It's the first time in ages that I've stood up in a Spiritualized gig, and it's probably the last. It's impossible to get lost in the music when people are constantly pushing pass you, spilling their drinks on you and sticking their elbows in your back! God, can people not just watch the band for a couple of hours? Ha ha - I sound like a right old duffer! At least when you are sat down you can concentrate on the music which is the reason for me being there!

Ste

PS and if another person says "excuse me", as if they want to get past me, and then stands in the spot where I've just moved from to let them past, I'm going to lamp 'em! :evil:
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Come Down Easy!!!!!!!!!!
That was a definite moment for me!
The acoustic guitar... yep, hit the spot for sure. That song alone would have made the night worth it.

Thought it was great actually... and I thought it got progressively better and better. The new songs are both pretty and also not so pretty- quite dark under the surface. (or is that just my own state of mind projected on the lyrics?)

Jason played some keys too, haven't seen that before so I find it quite exciting. I think his voices sounded amazing. The best I've heard in ages. Actually though he really rocked last night.

There were new girls on BVs. They sounded younger, sweeter and more childlike. Interesting juxtaposition. It made for a different flavour.

The audience? Dunno. I was right down the front on the barrier blissfully unaware of the vibe behind me. Doesn't surprise me that London would be blasé and nattering. It is what it is...

I'm sure that the gigs will get more and more intense as the tour goes on as per usual.

Wish I could make some more gigs. My only free dates are Holland and Belgium- festival dates... hmmm. Still, something's better than nothing since I just can't make the UK ones.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Major differences: LAGWAFIS was the first encore song. Jason used his YLYC mic, which was the LAGWAFIS give-away. He also play his acoustic guitar on come down easy.

They started strong, but everything was kinda lacking energy until So Long...in my opinion.

However, the new songs were incredible and it was easily the best version of take your time that I saw on this tour. Near the end of the song, the sound was getting louder and louder. Every time you thought it couldn't get any better/more powerful, it did. The sound man was making the guitars swirl and pan from side to side. I got the chills and then was brought to the verge of tears (if felt them coming on, but the song ended before the waterworks). It was possibly the most powerful live music experience of my life.

Great electric mainline as well. Extremely loud bass synth at end. Smiles was incredible as well. Great end to a great trip. It was awesome seeing all the nerds again. We danced our ass off at a place across the street from the venue. Ran into the bass player there, as well as the sound man and the banjo-playing Magic Numbers member. Bobby G was spotted hailing a cab in front of the venue. Good stuff.
doctorszklo
New user

Post by doctorszklo »

hi,
my post number1 here and spiritualized gig number5 yesterday.

for me it was just (at least) a 90 (out of 150) minutes of pure heaven. still find some of the songs from the last album dreary (especially freedom &marry) but there were so many highlights yesterday that i definitely should not moan now. as regards songs from "SLSH" "headin for the top" was an absolute revelation for me, not very keen on that while the album is on but yesterday - oh god - sounded like "electricity" but 2 times longer. the first of the 2 new songs: blew my head off. description? a veryprimitive-wall-of-sound-thunderstorm-blues-monster and i was just gravitating towards it. ridiculously loud and ultra-transparent at the same time. second one was a sweet motown-like ballad and to me it sounded much fresher that some of the tracks from the last album. of course i was totally engrossed in "take your time"/"electric mainline" combo, hard to describe the feeling on those two, it's like submerging in the archetypal collective unconsciousness or something. i reckon there's no other band that can generate something that transcendent while playing live, for me only stereolab were able to come close to that. the encore was just fantastic, "smiles" in particular.

the crowd was ok, excepting gossipers and those clots who had to check facebook statuses on their phones (where do they come from i really really have no idea)
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Overall, I really enjoyed the gig which got progressively better. The set list at first seemed a bit weird with Electricity in amongst the whole of SHSL. Take Your Time & EM were incredible, a loud full on assault which almost took me hat off. Right up there as the best versions I've heard the band do. Then just as it was taking off, they went off. The encore was great and probably enjoyed the second half more as a live experience.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

It was a really mixed bag of highs and lows both sonically and aesthetically.

I thought the first new track they played after So Long was really great. Velvets do Kraut do Spz. The second new song was just a re-working of Ladies and Gents, felt like once again he's going over well trodden old ground. Nothing new, same old lyrics/chord progression/tempo

Electric Mainline was stellar but a lot shorter than how they used to play it, but nice to have it there. As was Take Your Time and Smiles was a great ending.

I thought the set and the performance were both really low energy. Doggen and Jason making some really dreadful fuck ups on one of the earlier songs in the set, they had to re-start it. Also Doggen missed his mark a few times on a few tunes and was generally all over the place compared to his usual level...i.e. forgot to turn his wah off from the preceding tune before Ladies and Gents, sounded like he was strangling a cat for the first section till it got turned off.

I think the complaints of general restlessness in the audience is more to do with the performance than the attitude. The whole thing felt under rehearsed. I heard similar reports about the Newcastle gig, low energy performance poorly delivered.

Think some of the newer material is so middle of the road it could have been delivered by anyone. To my ears the sonic stamp that used to be the makers mark of a great Spiritualized tune has been rubbed off down the line somewhere.

There were glimpses of brilliance but in the end it was plodding when it should have been flying.

A shadow of their former glory, but hey, that's just my personal opinion.

I miss the Pure Phase drones at the start as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Ouch.. some of this was harsh!
They Transmit wrote: Think some of the newer material is so middle of the road it could have been delivered by anyone. To my ears the sonic stamp that used to be the makers mark of a great Spiritualized tune has been rubbed off down the line somewhere.
I think I remember Jason saying in an interview he started writing Little Girl as a song for another artist (M.Faithfull?), which sort of makes sense. It's always reminded of Suede ca. Dog Man Star actually, I can totally imagine B.Butler playing the guitar on this, and dare I say it would sound better with Brett Anderson on vocal duties!
Now at the Newcastle gig was I got pretty much the same feeling from Mary, which I hadn't expected.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

OK!

Well, I stood next to the mixing board. The sound was lush and swirling back there.

Of course at gigs you get a couple of lulls — but this did not bother me at all.

I like the new album and think they played it well, the last hour of the show was
incredible.

Like I said — I found it to be better than the few gigs in 95 I had seen and clearly
remember. MUst of been because I had a lovely buzz and it fell all together.

Best,

Mark
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The gigs I saw in 1995 - Jongleurs and Shepherd's Bush Empire - are among the most incredible shows I have ever seen by anyone. Just mind-blowing from start to finish. The Leeds show on Saturday was absolutely brilliant but... I couldn't even begin to compare it to the '95 Pure Phase shows. Those were of a quality very hard to equal.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'll chime in here. As mentioned several times before on this message board, the 1995 Detroit St Andrews shows(actually the Shelter in the basement) Labor Day weekend was perhaps the greatest Spiritulaized live evening ever for me. An absolutelty mind blowing first show followed by an even more mind blowing second show.
I'm getting goosebumps just posting this.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

It was a great show, really. Take Your Time, that immense wall of sound knocked me down.
sunny wrote: I'm sure that the gigs will get more and more intense as the tour goes on as per usual.
If so, they will tear the walls down in Tokyo next month.

Great to see the members of this board. My apology, I couldn’ t talk much because I am not good at speaking in English. But I really enjoy the meeting. Thank you guys.