brighton corn exchange

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

The Dr
Known user

brighton corn exchange

Post by The Dr »

great show- unlike the other set lists we didn't get smiles or won't get... but we did get, complete with ms radley's intro LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE! with a gorgeous light show that made one feel like one was floating though space!

9pm start time so i guess that was why no smiles but i'd take ladies anytime :wink: i loved the new song- it was a sugar sweet sappy ballad- right up my ally!

and i'm gusing that was poppy spaceman on so long- complete with her self-consious giggle :D
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
toomilk
Known user

Re: brighton corn exchange

Post by toomilk »

Was poppy on stage for that song?
Krisskrossfrog
Known user

Post by Krisskrossfrog »

Felt like the loudest Spiritualized show I've ever been to, or maybe I forgotten what they used to be like... ?

I thought it was an incredible show, a real step up from the past few I've seen.... I really love the new album so a SHSL heavy set is fine by me, and a nice mix up of the oldies (with some newies!!!!) with a nice surprise at the end (I'm glad I avoided any spoilers...)

Jason's guitar really cut through during the whole set and it was nice to be reminded what a great guitar player he is.

Great sound, great visuals, hard to find fault from where I was stood.

Now if only the ringing in my ears would stop......
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

toomilk wrote:Was poppy on stage for that song?
i'm pretty sure. there were three backing mics and only two backing singers. for that song a young girl who looked like the girl from that picture that was circulated on here a while ago joined them. sang the intro with j and then giggled- all sounding exactly like the record and the n when the song was over went off not to return. unless he had a surplus budget and blew it on one singer for one song it seems too much of a coincidence

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Krisskrossfrog wrote:Felt like the loudest Spiritualized show I've ever been to, or maybe I forgotten what they used to be like... ?

I thought it was an incredible show, a real step up from the past few I've seen.... I really love the new album so a SHSL heavy set is fine by me, and a nice mix up of the oldies (with some newies!!!!) with a nice surprise at the end (I'm glad I avoided any spoilers...)

Jason's guitar really cut through during the whole set and it was nice to be reminded what a great guitar player he is.

my ears too-i half wish i'd taken a complementry earplug...! how great was his voice? it is probably the best ballanced spz show (ladies aside) that i have been too. the ballads were beautiful and the rockers immsense.

moop
Known user

Post by moop »

The Dr wrote:
Krisskrossfrog wrote:Felt like the loudest Spiritualized show I've ever been to, or maybe I forgotten what they used to be like... ?

my ears too-i half wish i'd taken a complementry earplug...! how great was his voice? it is probably the best ballanced spz show (ladies aside) that i have been too. the ballads were beautiful and the rockers immsense.
yeah, my ears are still ringing too.. that version of Take Your Time/Electric Mainline were really fucking loud! Someone mentioned in another thread the loud synth bass...no joke! I was in the middle a little way back from the stage and everyone around me just looked at each other like 'what the fuuuck!?' when that happened. it felt like the ground was going to give way.. classic moment :D

So Long was great, and it was really cool to see Poppy on stage. Some people were chatting in the audience and when she came on someone near them made a loud 'shhhhhhh!' so they were quiet. what a respectful crowd, haha. She has a great voice too. I definitely (still) much prefer the live version of that track to the album version.

Great to hear new material debuted live. The 'A Song' lyrics/delivery sounded like Dylan to me. "One man's x is another man's y" etc. It was nice and loud but a little repetitive (i know, that's the point). Will be interesting to hear how it evolves. Perfect Miracle was very sugary, so i'm sure it'll divide opinion. I'll reserve judgement on them both for the time being. Just glad to hear new stuff.

I much prefer it when the setlist is more mixed, so in general i wasn't so enthusiastic for the SHSL part of the gig. Having said that, I really liked how the 'heavier' tracks from that album have evolved. I am what I am, in particular sounded darkly hypnotic while Mary was great as ever.
Smiles would have been nice, but I wasn't expecting it since i didn't read any spoilers.
Come down easy was a great way to end on a high :roll:

I have to wonder if the girl 'conducting' the band/audience was the same one as from the RAH gig :lol:
gotta love what a mix of people the band attract.
Perfect venue too. if only they hadn't run out of Dark Star so quickly... :cry:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a week since the Brighton gig and I still haven't written my thoughts down about it yet. Been so tied up with decorating the soon to be Shines Jr's nursery, attending NCT classes and just generally getting ready for the arrival of the baby that I just haven't had the chance to sit down and reflect on the gig. I was meant to see them at the Roundhouse the night before too but it just never happened in the end for one reason and another. Anyway, here's a quick appraisal of the Brighton gig:-

[*] Firstly I couldn't believe how sparse the crowd was when we got there (near the end of the support's set) and I was really worried that they'd booked too big a venue. It did fill out quite a bit though by the time they came on, but I still think a smaller venue would have suited better

[*] Really liked the warming up instrumental number

[*] Jason's vocals and guitar playing was the best I've ever seen

[*] Fuck me they were loud. That's gotta be one of the loudest Spiritualized performances I've seen yet

[*] I really like the new album songs on record and even more performed live, but I still think that a few more older songs would have been nice

[*] Best live takes of Electric Mainline and Take Your Time I've seen in a while (which makes my comment of the addition of a few more older numbers more valid)

[*] Great visuals but still missed the strobes and full on optical assault

[*] First new song (Song A?) sounded pretty good, but found the other one to be a bit twee (was a bit concerned that this is the song that Mrs Shines said the baby kicked the most to?!)

[*] I too wondered if that was Poppy on backing vocals during So Long (nice touch if it was)

[*] Amazing to witness Come Down Easy (will this feature on the next album a la All of My Tears and Lord Can You Hear Me?), but gutted not to be treated to Smiles (though the terrific rendition of Ladies and Gentlemen kind of made up for that)

[*] Good to see Mr Nick Cave and Warren Ellis enjoying themselves at the bar!

Overall it was a wonderful gig. I was prepared to be a tad disappointed after reading so much about the SHSL heavy set but, even though I would have preferred a few more oldies, I came away very satisfied.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Shinesalight wrote:[*] Good to see Mr Nick Cave and Warren Ellis enjoying themselves at the bar!
can't believe i missed didn't notice!