Austin Psych Fest 2013

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Austin Psych Fest 2013

Post by angelsighs »

apologies if this has already been discussed on here. but damn, this is one hell of a lineup isn't it?

http://www.austinpsychfest.com/2013-festival/
Laz69
Known user

Re: Austin Psych Fest 2013

Post by Laz69 »

I dread seeing this every year... another unbelievable lineup...

Lottery tickets starting this week again!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

incredible for the first round :!: I've 2 tickets secured 8) If Bardo Pond gets on board, my mind is officially blown
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Jesus wept. Man i'd love to hit this, not a chance though. Well, maybe if Ryanair make good on their €99 flights to America idea! :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Maybe this will be an early graduation present from the padres... Just need to figure out getting there I guess... Want to go very badly.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah it's just insane, and this isn't even the full lineup.
unless I want to be totally and utterly skint it's just not possible :(

they should come over here and do a UK one! (or maybe the Black Angels should just curate an ATP or something?)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

purespace wrote:incredible for the first round :!: I've 2 tickets secured 8) If Bardo Pond gets on board, my mind is officially blown
Blimey - where've you been Steve?!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

runcible wrote:
purespace wrote:incredible for the first round :!: I've 2 tickets secured 8) If Bardo Pond gets on board, my mind is officially blown
Blimey - where've you been Steve?!
PM sent runci- back in the saddle again
debased
Known user

Post by debased »

Dead Skeletons + Goat = mental ward
purephase
New user

Post by purephase »

wow..deerhunter, spectrum and tinariwen in the same festival...that is blow minds
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Another fantastic line up. I was very close to booking up this years one as it fell close to my 40th birthday but I couldn't quite justify spending £1500+ on it. If I win the lottery then I'll be def be there, and taking plenty of you lot with me too!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

2nd line up just announced:

THE MOVING SIDEWALKS featuring Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP • OS MUTANTES • ROKY ERICKSON • THE RAVEONETTES • OM • SILVER APPLES • KALEIDOSCOPE (UK) • TAMARYN • SUUNS • BESNARD LAKES • INDIAN JEWELRY • BASS DRUM OF DEATH • NIGHT BEATS • NO JOY • YOUNG MAGIC • WALL OF DEATH • HOLY WAVE • RIDE INTO THE SUN • HEARTS IN SPACE

plus 1st line up magick

BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB • THE BLACK ANGELS • DEERHUNTER • TINARIWEN • CLINIC • WARPAINT • BLACK MOUNTAIN • BORIS • SPECTRUM • MAN OR ASTROMAN? • THE KING KHAN & BBQ SHOW • THE GROWLERS • ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE • QUINTRON & MISS PUSSYCAT • THE SOFT MOON • WHITE FENCE • DIIV • DEAD SKELETONS • THE WARLOCKS • VIETNAM • GOAT • BLACK BANANAS • THE BLACK RYDER • LUMERIANS • ELEPHANT STONE • THE LAURELS • GARY WAR • WOODSMAN • THE CULT OF DOM KELLER • GOLDEN ANIMALS • HOLYDRUG COUPLE • VINYL WILLIAMS • TTOTALS • DREAMTIME
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

purespace wrote:
THE MOVING SIDEWALKS featuring Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP
:shock:

Wow! Very cool!!

A couple years ago at the Austin Psych Fest they had The Golden Dawn reunite for a 'Power Plant' set (actually, I think George had reunited the band before the Psych Fest, but still pretty cool to have legends at the Festival). I would love to see Billy do a set of his old Sidewalks material! :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

That second night is killer!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh my god the jealousy gets worse and worse :(
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That really is a line up to behold isn't it? :mrgreen:

It's totally out of the realms of possibility for me to go, what with the little one and all, but I would urge anyone without that kind of commitment to try and go to this. Could be the trip of a life time. What are you waiting for Sighs?! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ah Shines I do certainly have no commitments stopping me.. and technically I COULD afford it, but not without a healthy dent in the overdraft.!.
I'm so tempted! what an adventure it would be.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm sure your bank manager wouldn't agree with me, but my advice to you would be to just...

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

It's only money man, and just think what a cool experience it'd be 8)

(Or, if not the Austin Psych Festival, then definitely do this year's Primevera)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Just got my tickets. Am officially stoked for this
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Very cool Chris, see you there. A pint on me.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Two free (for weekend ticket holders) pre-shows announced for the 25th at the Mowhawk and Red 7:

OFFICIAL AUSTIN PSYCH FEST KICK OFF PARTY!

presented by The Committee to Keep Music Evil

FREE ENTRY WITH APF2013 WEEKEND PASS (which you can pick up at either kick off party).

Not getting a weekend pass? There are a limited number of $15 TICKETS online or at the door day of show - http://transmission.frontgatetickets.co ... &eid=90655

THE REVERBERATION APPRECIATION SOCIETY PRESENTS:
RAIN PARADE, ALLAH LAS, THE UFO CLUB, FAIRFIELD PARLOUR, FLAVOR CRYSTALS, HIDDEN RITUAL, THE VOLTA SOUND, CHATHAM RISE + DJ JOEL GION

DOORS at 08:00 pm

OUTSIDE
12:15 - 01:45 - RAIN PARADE
11:00 - 11:55 - ALLAH LAS
10:00 - 10:40 - THE UFO CLUB
09:00 - 09:40 - HIDDEN RITUAL

INSIDE
12:30 - 01:30 - FLAVOR CRYSTALS
11:30 - 12:10 - THE VOLTA SOUND
10:30 - 11:10 - FAIRFIELD PARLOUR
09:30 - 10:10 - CHATHAM RISE
08:30 - 09:10 - FILM SCREENING

At Red 7 - 611 7th St

and

OFFICIAL AUSTIN PSYCH FEST KICK OFF PARTY!

FREE ENTRY WITH APF2013 WEEKEND PASS (which you can pick up at either kick off party).

$15 online or at the door for those without weekend passes - http://mohawk.frontgatetickets.com/choo ... &eid=88005

THE REVERBERATION APPRECIATION SOCIETY PRESENTS:
A PLACE TO BURY STRANGERS, METZ, COSMONAUTS, ODONIS ODONIS, ORANGE REVIVAL, ALL IN THE GOLDEN AFTERNOON, FOREVER CHANGES, LOW TIMES
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Purespace, are you going to this? I'll be very curious to hear about what the Volta Sound are like live. They're easily one of my favorite bands from the new millennium and who hail from my hometown! The sounds of Cleveland and the mighty Cuyahoga. 8)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

redcloud wrote:Purespace, are you going to this? I'll be very curious to hear about what the Volta Sound are like live. They're easily one of my favorite bands from the new millennium and who hail from my hometown! The sounds of Cleveland and the mighty Cuyahoga. 8)
definitely going to try as we're flying in that afternoon.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Don't know if the Allah Las have been mentioned here elsewhere, but their album was one of my faves of last year. Flavor Crystals is also on my "don't miss" list along with the Rain Parade reunion. Also, don't miss All In The Golden Afternoon earlier at the other venue - their album was another one of my faves. Remind me a lot of the long lost avant-folk Fit & Limo - if you own any issue of Ptolematic Terrascope, don't miss them. Cosmonauts are from Orange County out here. Love it when the suburbs discover Hawkwind.

Fucking hell, how am I going to get through this. Wow
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Yee yee Allah Las/Cosmonauts reppin' LA! There's a thread somewhere for the Allah Las/I've definitely mentioned 'em in gig write-ups on here.

Who are Flavor Crystal/All in the Golden Afternoon?
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Hofstadter wrote:Who are Flavor Crystal/All in the Golden Afternoon?
Flavor Crystals are from Minneapolis. I first heard about them when they opened a couple of shows for BJM - http://flavorcrystals.bandcamp.com

AITGA are from Austin. Like I was saying earlier, they remind me a lot of Fit & Limo, but Mazzy Star/Speck Mountain are other good comparisons: http://allinthegoldenafternoon.tumblr.com
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

see you there!
Heavy Tourism
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Despite a delayed start due to technical issues, Spectrum was stellar last night opening with Che and ending with Suicide. Will on bass - - looking forward to Dead Skeletons and Goat tonight. Double vinyl of Dead Mantra (repress) available for $30 if anyone fancies a copy.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Was suicide brilliant again? Set order was different, but did they play revolution/if so did you know what was before it? Very jealous of all of you there right now.

Looking forward to hearing everybody's reports.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm very curious to hear about The Moving Sidewalks reunion! Did it happen and if so, how was it?

I stumbled on their LP (original) back in the 80's at a cool record store in Kansas City, Missouri. The kid working there had absolutely no clue what it was so when I asked him how much he MASSIVELY undercharged me for it. :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

redcloud wrote:I'm very curious to hear about The Moving Sidewalks reunion! Did it happen and if so, how was it?

I stumbled on their LP (original) back in the 80's at a cool record store in Kansas City, Missouri. The kid working there had absolutely no clue what it was so when I asked him how much he MASSIVELY undercharged me for it. :D
what was the record store called? i grew up there and they're kind of without a decent vinyl-centric store now. there used to be a few really great ones where i found so much amazing stuff!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote:
redcloud wrote:I'm very curious to hear about The Moving Sidewalks reunion! Did it happen and if so, how was it?

what was the record store called? i grew up there and they're kind of without a decent vinyl-centric store now. there used to be a few really great ones where i found so much amazing stuff!
Love Records on Broadway and....39th(?) just by Westport.

I also used to frequent Music Exchange in Westport. I think that is what it was called. I went to college there (KCAI graduated in '91) so lived nearby on Oak Street. I was in KC during the height of the legendary Sin City Disciples. Did you ever see or hear about them? Man, they were so good!! I seem to remember Music Exchange had clued up record collectors working there. You could find really good stuff but they knew how to price it. Love Records (and a couple others) seemed to employ teenagers or kids from the Art School who didn't know how to price stuff or what things were worth. I found a handful of goodies in KC back then but the original issue/mint condition Moving Sidewalks is the cream of the crop.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

redcloud wrote:
shalloboi wrote:

Love Records on Broadway and....39th(?) just by Westport.

I also used to frequent Music Exchange in Westport. I think that is what it was called. I went to college there (KCAI graduated in '91) so lived nearby on Oak Street. I was in KC during the height of the legendary Sin City Disciples. Did you ever see or hear about them? Man, they were so good!! I seem to remember Music Exchange had clued up record collectors working there. You could find really good stuff but they knew how to price it. Love Records (and a couple others) seemed to employ teenagers or kids from the Art School who didn't know how to price stuff or what things were worth. I found a handful of goodies in KC back then but the original issue/mint condition Moving Sidewalks is the cream of the crop.
i think love records was gone by the time i was in high school, but i spent a lot of time digging through the shelves at music exchange clear up until they closed in about 2004 or 2005. i wish it was still there as kc is currently without a decent record store. i think the sin city disciples were before my time- i was still in grade school in the late 80s. when i was going to all ages shows it was all about punk, ska and emo- the get-up kids and whatnot.

i lived off of oak street right by the art institute while i was going to college at umkc. i met my wife while i was living there.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Purespace.....did you see The Moving Sidewalks? If so, how were they?
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I caught part of the Moving Sidewalks set at Psych Fest (Clinic was starting a little bit after them and I ran to run over to catch them). Not quite the revelation as you might suspect, but you know... watching Billy Gibbons play Hendrix covers with his old friends is pretty goddamn great.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Chris Barrus wrote:I caught part of the Moving Sidewalks set at Psych Fest (Clinic was starting a little bit after them and I ran to run over to catch them). Not quite the revelation as you might suspect, but you know... watching Billy Gibbons play Hendrix covers with his old friends is pretty goddamn great.
I read a couple reviews that were less than flattering. Most said Billy was fun but his old band mates weren't up to the chops and it sounded like they hadn't played music together since the 60's. Shame.

Hendrix covers 'eh? I thought they were performing their LP ('Flash') in its entirety?
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I didn't pay much attention to the Moving Sidewalks. I really didn't see what the fuss was about. People seemed to be walking away in droves. I found the Billy Gibbons superstore on site slightly troubling too. I mean, its not as if they're the 13th Floor Elevators is it?

Oh Roky...
that "Never thought i'd see this" feeling flooded over me.
Others were talking about the inclusion of some never-before-played Elevators stuff but i'd have been happier if the opening clutch of Aliens songs had extended to a few more from the essential True Love Cast Out All Evil lp. Of that set only Goodbye Seat Dreams was included (second track) between Cold Night For Alligators and The Wind And More. I would have loved to hear him trashing through John Lawman and maybe some of the more fragile tracks. I think this audience would have remained attentive like few others even for the sparse delicate stuff.

Kalidescope were also very good - a relaxing pastoral set overlooking the lake before the full on double whammy of The Warlocks then Spectrum - inspired programming. I got incredibly excited on the realisation that Will Carruthers was on stage. I didn't recognise a single Warlocks song but that didn't matter. I loved every second and they got me in the mood perfectly.

Goat and Dead Skeletons on the Sunday was also a great pairing.

Boris were another highlight among many. I love that kind of stuff
The Night Beats... Clinic, Acid Mothers...
And several other adequate shoegazer type bands who held my attention but never rally took off.
The only band i didn't get were Man Or Astroman and i passed on The Black Angels as i was seeing them a few days latter anyway.

Great venue. Well organised, superb atmosphere - its not every festival where you might hear Telescopes or Hawkwind tracks between the bands.
I can't imagine i'll ever go again so i made the most of it.
Had a chat with one of the Black Angels crew who tells me they welcome suggestions. They've got to get Hawkwind! And Loop are probably a certainty I'd have thought.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

From one of many great reviews on the Austin Chronicle website:
"...Spacemen 3, the pioneering Eighties psych-rock troop whose feedback and drone-ridden spirit hangs over this festival like an awning over the back porch." - I like that.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/mu ... -spectrum/
Heavy Tourism
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

plastic37 wrote:I didn't pay much attention to the Moving Sidewalks. I really didn't see what the fuss was about. People seemed to be walking away in droves. I found the Billy Gibbons superstore on site slightly troubling too. I mean, its not as if they're the 13th Floor Elevators is it?
There was life for Billy before ZZ. And, there were several legendary 60's Texan bands...the Elevators were not the only ones on the scene. Even Jimi once hinted that Billy Gibbons might be one of the best guitarists. The Sidewalks opened for Jimi once and he and Gibbons bonded. I think I read somewhere that Jimi even gave Billy his strat.

But yea,....they were not the Elevators.