Moon Duo Leeds

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

KingHarry
Known user

Moon Duo Leeds

Post by KingHarry »

Had a tremendous night. Great bit of nostalgic tour of pubs around the University. Great venue - not at all packed, not sure if it's normally like that, or whether they failed to sell out, or whether they just don't cram them in there.
Missed most of the support, but caught the last couple from Temples, who I thought looked amusingly ace and sounded decent - not dissimilar to Tame Impala and visually looked a cross between Noel Fielding and The Byrds. Had a natter afterwards - great fun all round.
Bit of a prolonged false start by the mighty Duo - and a retune / sound-check / fiddle-with-the-sound that went on for a good 20 minutes, before Ripley rather worryingly said "we will try and improvise" ... Not entirely sure whether they were fighting with the sound from there on in, but seemed ok to me. A great version of Motorcycle I Love You to finish off. V pleasant afterwards, the rather wonderful Sanae happy to humour tipsy enthusiastic KH.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Moon Duo Leeds

Post by runcible »

KingHarry wrote:Great venue - not at all packed, not sure if it's normally like that, or whether they failed to sell out, or whether they just don't cram them in there..
Got it in one. Even if it's full it's comfortable which is why it's the best venue in the UK. The fact that the sound system is shit hot helps too.

Sorry to miss you - damn winter bugs!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The Moog was back in action at Wrexham. Really good show, decent crowd in, 120 plus I would say.

Set was
Sleepwalking
I can see
Circles
In The Sun
I been Gone
Dance pt 3 (or Sparks both sound the same !)
Mazes
Stumbling 22nd Street
Free Action

They also played quite a slow dirgey encore which I didnt instantly recognose, it may have been Zoned, but I'm not sure

Venue is decent but cold, beer is appaling and not very nice to be honest
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

MattBenn wrote:Wasn't at the show, but Nath who runs Brudenell was telling us last night that one of the support bands unplugged Moon Duo's really old and tempermental Moog when it needed to be left turned on, and so when Moon Duo started it played for about 5 seconds and spluttered to a halt, and wouldn't turn back on. So they ended up playing the whole set without one of their (few) instruments. I assume the Moog provides all the bottom end/bass synth stuff.
That explains it then - Ripley was definitely 'off' afterwards, in contrast to the lovely and fragrant Ms Yamada. He must have been pretty fucked off with the whole thing. As I said before through, sounded ok the me.
You played there last night I think yes?
Great place - loads of locals non-plussed by the bands, just down for a few pints in the club.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Great venue - not at all packed, not sure if it's normally like that, or whether they failed to sell out, or whether they just don't cram them in there..
Got it in one. Even if it's full it's comfortable which is why it's the best venue in the UK. The fact that the sound system is shit hot helps too.

Sorry to miss you - damn winter bugs!
Yes shame that - take it you never made it then?
I'm definitely up for a return trip. The Fall play there is next few weeks - not sure that will be on your short list if memory serves though :?
Was good to be back in Leeds for a night out. Partway in, I realised I was stood next to a lad I've not seen since 1992.
Brother James
New user

Post by Brother James »

Aye they were great in Wrexham! Always a decent respectful crowd at the ROPE nights. New stuff sounded great, especially I been gone.

Encore was slightly different version of Motorcycle I love you, he held off on the main riff for ages.

Aquarian-Time: I would have said hello if I'd known you were there, I was spinning tunes early doors then again about 8:15.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Saw them last monday at Broadcast in Glasgow, great show , nice and loud and some cool lighting , managed to catch a word with Ripley afterwords , cool fellow, and had my picture taken ,still a fanboy at heart , good turnout for a monday night I would say got a nice Circles Tour poster upon the wall above my head as I type,
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Yeah I think they only had a few tickets left to sell at the door so it may have sold out in the end. It was certainly very busy down the front!
I thoroughly enjoyed it, the sound wasn't great at the start (I was a bit too close to the speaker mind you) but it got much better. Enjoyed hearing the new songs, I especially liked what they did with Free Action, that was fantastic :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Brother James, some nice sounds being dropped if that was you behind the decks. Dead Skeletons, Gnod (i think you played them), Spiritiualized, Think im in love (remix), and more I have forgotton no doubt