Sydney Opera House 2/12/12

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Darksideofthemoon
New user

Sydney Opera House 2/12/12

Post by Darksideofthemoon »

I'm a new user on the Spiritualized chatroom (hello to everyone!) and signed up specifically to post about this gig.

I've been a Spiritualized fan since the very beginning, around 1990/1991 and must have seen them around 50 times by now. Their shows are always mind blowing, but last night at the Opera House took it to a whole different level.

I saw them last year also at the Opera House (stunning venue in its own right) where the played "Ladies and Gentlemen..." in its entirety, and although they played a great show, it lacked the volume that is essential to their shows. I've seen other bands there too who have also lacked volume and I thought maybe they just limited the volume at the venue for "rock" bands rather than opera or classical.

Last night though, the volume was utterly crushing! You could almost physically feel it pushing down on you. It was without doubt the loudest concert I have ever been too. Despite the volume, the clarity of sound was just crystal clear. At the noisiest sections, it sounded like there were double the amount of instruments on stage that there actually were. The bass was also utterly penetrating. Their whole sound is built around volume (on the louder songs anyway) and it was great to see them with so much power as I think gigs in general have got quieter over the years - it's good to still have ringing in my ears the day after! :shock:

As for the setlist, I couldn't have chosen a better selection. In no particular order, my best oldies were in there: Take Your Time, Electric Mainline (thought the Opera House was gonna lift off!), Smiles and Walking With Jesus. From "Huh?" the tracks they chose; Hey Jane, Freedom, Heading for the Top, So Long You Pretty Thing (best live song off the new album), just sounded so much better then the mix on the new album (my copy has pretty much zero bass) and I loved them as much as the older tracks.

They played a lot of stuff I didn't know (ressurected Spacemen 3 tracks? Brand new songs?) but they played one absolute rocker that had this massive, chunky, almost glam rock dirty guitar riff (is this called "Song A"? If seen references to this on other posts) and it was the best song of the set. I must own it soon!

Apart from Glastonbury 2003 (or was it '04? When Jason wore the silver space pants :D ), this was the best gig of theirs I've ever, ever seen. I've cried many times at Spiritualized gigs, but last night I just had a huge grin from ear to ear through the whole show and was just laughing at the end of each track at the overwhelming power they were using. A friend also went with me and she has never seen or heard them before and she was equally blown away :D

Now I live in Australia, I don't get to see them as many times as when I was in the UK which is a shame, but that makes catching them when I can even more special. On a separate note, how great is it to see them playing one of the worlds' most prestigious venues, when I think back to the first time I ever saw them at the Borderline in London! They thoroughly deserve to be playing venues of this stature and they sound fresher than ever when most of their '90s counterparts have faded since their glory years, with the exception of...

Primal Scream who I will be seeing on Wednesday! My 2 favourite bands in the same week! Couldn't get any better! :lol:
Darksideofthemoon
New user

Re: Sydney Opera House 2/12/12

P.S - I forgot to mention, this was the first time I've ever seen them use a video screen as a backdrop with projections on it. Basic videos but really good and they fit perfectly with the music. At some points they had a video similar to the time-gate sequence in 2001:A Space Odyssey (very Spiritualized!) and other times just videos of clouds going by, like viewing from a plane. The also had this feature that as the sound got louder, the videos would get more and more pixelated until it finally turned to TV static as the songs reached the maximum white-out. Great stuff! :D
exiled-ed
New user

Post by exiled-ed »

Darksideofthemoon I would have to agree with your comments about it being a fantastic gig although I was disappointed they didn’t play more of their older songs. The sound quality was fantastic and I managed to get a good recording I will get up on Dime shortly.
http://www.facebook.com/connect/uiserve ... referral=1
Dolly Mixture
New user

Post by Dolly Mixture »

HI...I was also at the SOH gig last night and I was also blown away - almost literally. When I got to bed I felt like I'd been blown there from the epicentre of a massive bomb explosion. I couldn't agree more with what Darksideofthemoon had to say. I also had a grin from ear to ear throughout the set...yes and was laughing too, for the exact same reasons. :lol: Kept looking around me wondering why no one else was grinning like me!!! then looking up at JP who's just sitting there with no emotion on his face like it's the most normal thing in the world. the BVs were like angels. i want to be them. Saw them for the first time in Royal Albert Hall when Ladies and Gentlemen... was recorded. this one, for me was better. Great to now be living in Oz and still get to see these great bands over here. Also going to Primal Scream on Wednesday. What a week! see you there....
Darksideofthemoon
New user

After scouring through youtube, it appears that the new monster-guitar-riff-track I'm referring to is in fact called "'A' Song".

After wracking my brains over where I had previously heard the main rhythm riff, I finally remembered that it's from the end section of the live version of "Midnight Rambler" on the Stones "Hot Rocks" compilation. It's the bit on the slow build up near the end of the song after the breakdown which just leaves Mick Jagger singing on his own. I've always loved that big ending on that track and it is EXACTLY the same as 'A' Song! It was driving me insane trying to remember where I had heard it before! :D

So, after knowing "A' Song for not even 24 hours yet, this has been instantly catapulted to my Favourite Ever Song By Spiritualized! :D How great is it when your favourite bands still come up with absolute gems after all these years, even if it is "borrowed" from the Jagger / Richards song book... :wink: But lets hope that Mr Spaceman doesn't end up paying royalties to Mick'n'Keef, like a certain Mr R Ashcroft (who nicked Jason's lady, as well as the Stones string arrangement..) :wink:
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

I was there too...here's the setlist for you:

Here It Comes
Hey Jane
Electricity
Headin' For The Top Now
Freedom
Ladies and gentlemen...
So Long You Pretty Thing
'A' Song
Perfect Miracle
Take Your Time
Electric Mainline
------
Come Down Easy
Walking With Jesus
Smiles

Funny you had such a postive reaction...I was a TEENY bit underwhelmed (maybe just because it seemed so short? Udner 2 hours and over by 10:05....surely there was some time for more!) . I thought the show I caught in May in Vancouver was much more...aggressive? Loud? Not sure how to describe it. I thought last night seemed a tad restrained at times (Walking With Jesus for instance was a shadow of the version J. played in Vancouver). Obviously it did get loud (Smiles, Take Your Time etc) and I thoroughly enjoyed the gig (I always do as they are one of my favourite bands and live acts). The ending bit of Take Your Time when it got REALLY loud and heavy was incredible.

And I think this was my 9th or 10th SPZ gig....weird to see Jason playing an acoustic! Never seen that before (other than an in store gig).
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

I should add that Walking With Jesus might have been a bit "weaker" due to J. breaking a string halfway through.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Darksideofthemoon wrote: it was great to see them with so much power as I think gigs in general have got quieter over the years - it's good to still have ringing in my ears the day after! :shock:
Hmm...I'd hazard a guess it's your hearing that has gotten worse over the years. :wink:

Welcome aboard anyways, enjoy your stay!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I can't stop listening to 'Hear it Comes'. I think its not only an amazing song its also such a perfect way to start a show. "let's go as far as we can go" - Thats a statement of intent. It reminds me of Walking with Jesus but from a more adult perspective. Really beautiful anyway.

Roll on tomorrow night, I have a feeling I'm in for a monumental show judging by recent comments on here.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hey Simon,

Where is there a copy of here it comes? I haven't heard this yet.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Some lovely photographs by Daniel Boud of the gig.

http://boudist.tumblr.com

Best,

M
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Great photos Mark! nice one!

I got it from Dime Clewsr. I should have a chance tomorrow to upload it (if thats okay with the mods?). I do warn you it's insanely catchy, I can't get it out of my head.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Multi, You beat me to it! What do you think of it?
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I really like it! The harmonies are nice. Have a great evening Si!

B,

M
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

+ 1, Thanks Multi, really nice track.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Got the full show from dime now - the sound quality is great!
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

Would someone be able to upload this set on to sendspace or send it to me through dropbox or something? I can't get the dime torrent to work for the life of me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

PeshoG wrote:Would someone be able to upload this set on to sendspace or send it to me through dropbox or something? I can't get the dime torrent to work for the life of me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Hope this is ok with exiled-ed (original uploader) - 320 kbps mp3 re-encode of the Dime torrent here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dvtdnd
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

Downloading now. Thanks so much!!!
exiled-ed
New user

Post by exiled-ed »

scarecrowz wrote:
PeshoG wrote:Would someone be able to upload this set on to sendspace or send it to me through dropbox or something? I can't get the dime torrent to work for the life of me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Hope this is ok with exiled-ed (original uploader) - 320 kbps mp3 re-encode of the Dime torrent here:

It's completely ok with me, I only put it up for people to enjoy so the more the merrier! I'm really happy with the recording, sound was impeccable on the night and it came through perfectly on the recording. In fact I would rate it among my best 4 or 5 best recordings ever, so very pleased as it was such an awesome show.
I've been listening to Perfect Miracle and So Long You Pretty Thing alot, loving them live!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

exiled-ed wrote:
scarecrowz wrote:

It's completely ok with me, I only put it up for people to enjoy so the more the merrier! I'm really happy with the recording, sound was impeccable on the night and it came through perfectly on the recording. In fact I would rate it among my best 4 or 5 best recordings ever, so very pleased as it was such an awesome show.
I've been listening to Perfect Miracle and So Long You Pretty Thing alot, loving them live!
Its a fantastic recording, I haven't stopped listening to it. Great work and thanks very much! Here it comes is just so catchy. What a treat to have 3 great new songs. 8)
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

exiled-ed wrote: It's completely ok with me, I only put it up for people to enjoy so the more the merrier! I'm really happy with the recording, sound was impeccable on the night and it came through perfectly on the recording. In fact I would rate it among my best 4 or 5 best recordings ever, so very pleased as it was such an awesome show.
It's a great recording and much appreciated!
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Thanks so much, exiled-ed!
The gospel singers have sounded fantastic on this tour.