Neil Young UK Tour 2013

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Laz69
Known user

Neil Young UK Tour 2013

Post by Laz69 »

James T
Known user

Re: Neil Young UK Tour 2013

Post by James T »

Probably gonna go to Birmingham, no rush yet though, Leonard Cohen to get first!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I got well excited when I saw that he was going to be playing the UK again....but the O2 for fucks sake?! :? I wonder if hell be playing any big outdoor shows like when I've seen him previously at Fleadh, Hop Farm and Hyde Park?
Last edited by Shinesalight on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've got my eye on Birmingham. the ticket prices aren't too bad for an arena show
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:I've got my eye on Birmingham. the ticket prices aren't too bad for an arena show

Hmm, £50 for the SECC ,its a bit steep to me, but granted not to bad for an artist of Neil Youngs standing, haven`t seen him since 1996, thinking about it...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Maybe we could have a meet up in Birmingham and get out groove down to cowgirl in the sand
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that sounds like a plan.. I'm gonna see what my cashflow situation is like after Christmas.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, I am not booking til after my Kraftwerk pilgrimage
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

€60-86 in Dublin. €76 to stand on the pitch (It's in the RDS, a horse show arena).

Yet again I think Neil has priced me out of seeing him. Been at least 10 years since I last saw him, probably more. I do finish exams three days before hand though so i might just say "Fuck it" and take the monetary hit closer to the time.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

check out the latest setlist.. what do you think?

Love and Only Love
Powderfinger
Born in Ontario
Walk Like a Giant
Hole in the Sky
Heart of Gold
Twisted Road
Singer Without a Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
Cortez the Killer
Dangerbird
Barstool Blues
Prisoners of Rock 'n' Roll
Opera Star
My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)
Sedan Delivery
Like a Hurricane

still wondering whether to go to the Birmingham date.. any board members going? James T?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I shall be at Birmingham, plus he has announced Liverpool later in the year, so mau have some of that as well. Set list is decent, nice and varied, and plenty of new tunes, which suits me as the new album is decent
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That's a really impressive set list. Really wasn't that up for venturing up to the O2 but I'm already starting to have second thoughts. Saw him and Crazy Horse when they were last over 12 years ago in Finsbury Park and, despite being very drunk, I'm sure it's up there with some of my favourite gigs.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I am probably only going to get to the Liverpool show now, but Birmingham is a possibility.

Glad the setlist is starting to fill out a bit now. Opera Star eh? Sounds great to me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I'm definitely leaning towards going now. not got many gigs over the summer so a few beers and some Crazy Horse jams is sounding good.

I saw Neil in 2008 and it was simply an incredible show (and that's from someone who's more of a Dylan man!)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I saw the show in Melbourne last Friday and It put bands half the age of Crazy Horse to shame.

The noise they made was ferocious. Walk like a Giant ended with 10 minutes of of sludgy, feedback drenched guitar noise (think - You made me realise, but Neil Young). The sight of him leaning through the wire netting of the giant speaker stack turning up his amp (check the new stage set to see what I mean) trying to coax more feedback from his already weezing guitar reminded why I love rock and roll. The rest of the set was equally as special, he threw in a few acoustic tunes to keep us old romantics happy too. The beaming smiles up on stage proof that they were enjoying it as much of the crowd

If you have a chance go and see this tour. Neil Young is one of the last of his kind, a true rock and roll pioneer.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh shit standing tickets for Birmingham are sold out! not sure I wanna get a seat in a cavernous venue like that :(

i've just been reading reports on the net and they echo your verdict Simon- people are raving about this tour which sounds like a proper noisy Crazy Horse blowout.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I got tickets for the Dublin show when they first came available and I ain't looking at any setlists, what's the point?

I don't think I've seen CrazyHorse since 1996 I think (though I've seen Shakey a good few times live now), so really looking forward to this, could be the last chance to see them live maybe.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

They were incredible last night in Glasgow.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep went to Birmingham and it was pretty good it has to be said. Highlight was the not so often played Cortez the Killer getting an airing. How they manage to play with such intensity for so long night after night at their age defies belief.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I saw Neil Young back in 2008 at the Rock Werchter festival in Belgium. it was simply one of the best gigs i've seen (certainly one of the best 'big gigs' i've ever seen).
it was the closest to a greatest hits set that he would play, and even though it wasn't with Crazy Horse it was plenty noisy..
one thing that I remember is that there was a little keyboard hanging above the stage on strings, just like in the Rust Never Sleeps movie. therefore I was convinced that we were gonna get Like a Hurricane at some point... but that little keyboard never came down.. what a tease!!

I wonder if there is going to be a live record from this tour?
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Monday night was 1 of the best I have seen for a long time! It was fascinating to hear all the conversation on the tube/train home. It was almost like somebody had thought they were getting a NY acoustic, play it by numbers set?! Surely any true fans will know he will never phone it in or even be predictable. NY was brilliant at the O2. Not normally a great venue but he just played, with CH, what he fucking wanted, and surely that is what we want?! Great set list, brilliant indulgencies and true rock n roll. Blowin in the Wind and Fuckin Up were particular highlights!!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

@AngelSighs

I was at the Rock Werchter show also and it was too one of the best things I have ever seen. He absolutely ripped it up!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:@AngelSighs

I was at the Rock Werchter show also and it was too one of the best things I have ever seen. He absolutely ripped it up!
wow small world! it was sensational. the big jam that night was No Hidden Path. I was also very happy to get one of my favourites, Words (Between the Lines of Age). but the big highlight was the cover of A Day in The Life- pretty mindblowing.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

to be honest i'd probably only see ny if he played the harvest moon album with maybe a few hits as the encore. i'm sure if i saw him on this tour i'd enjoy it but for me to pay out x amount i'd want something that i knew i love as i am not overly familiar with his catalogue
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Words was so great! Shame I had some weird guy in front of me who wouldn't stop trying to speak to me about how he never thought he'd see it live.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Saw them in November in the states w Patti Smith... Walk like a giant was indeed particularly memorable... i'm curious: are they still doing the "mad scientist" shtick beforehand?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep, its the same deal and to be honest if you watch live rust DVD the general set up is the same, including the thunder storm.
Still bloody marvellous though. May well get a ticket for Liverpool
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Had resigned myself to the fact that I probably wasn't going to go and see Neil Young this time around, then, on Thursday, a friend offered me a ticket to see him at the O2....yesterday they announced that the remaining European tour was to be cancelled due to Poncho breaking his hand :( :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I've been listening to a great bootleg of the recent Glasgow show - it's immense.

Apparently some of these UK gigs NY&CH have been getting walk-outs and booing - for not playing enough 'hits'. Hilarious.

It's fucking Neil Young and Crazy Horse - what were you expecting?

Anyway, none of that is on display here, the Glaswegians recognize quality when they hear it, lots of love in the place. 'Flower of Scotland' is played before start - wow. 'Walk Like A Giant' is a killer, 'Ramada Inn' is incredible and they do 'Mr Soul' as well. The crowd goes insane there. Contrary as ever, he even does 'Heart of Gold' presumably as the crowd aren't shouting for it at this gig!

Shame about Poncho's hand...
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
the dreamer
New user

Post by the dreamer »

mkb wrote:They were incredible last night in Glasgow.

mkb, you're not wrong there! It was a great show in Glasgow. Very happy I finally managed to see him live :)