Anthropropph dates - Paul Allen of The Heads

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Anthropropph dates - Paul Allen of The Heads

Post by runcible »

Some rare appearances by Heads guitarist Paul Allen's Anthropropph project. He is playing with power duo The Big Naturals. I have no idea what this will be like but anything involving these guys is normally worth a look. Gnod play at the London date too.

http://rocketrecordings.blogspot.co.uk/ ... party.html

They also play in Leeds on March 22nd and elsewhere too but I can't find a definitive list of dates...
sunray
Known user

Re: Anthropropph dates - Paul Allen of The Heads

Post by sunray »

Wow, great line up for Leeds. As well as Anthroprophh and Big Naturals you're getting Mugstar and Dead Sea Apes! 8) :mrgreen:
I believe Gnod are at the Bristol gig as well as London.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Nice - I'm going to make a concerted effort to get to this (and then not get so out of it so that I don't remember most of it). :lol:

Will need to sort out membership for Wharf Chambers.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Date just added at The Compass in Chester, April 12th. Rather annoyingly the same night at White Hills in Manchester.
Best do White Hills in Liverpool the night before then !!
My gig diary is becoming very busy !!

Check out Green man festival as well, some great announcements thus far
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Date just added at The Compass in Chester, April 12th. Rather annoyingly the same night at White Hills in Manchester.
Best do White Hills in Liverpool the night before then !!
My gig diary is becoming very busy !!

Check out Green man festival as well, some great announcements thus far
I'll definitely take in the Anthropropph date in Chester. White Hills were great last year at the Kazimer, a venue I really like. I've not been to the Blade Factory @ Camp and Furnace, so that is something to look forward to!
Brother James
New user

Post by Brother James »

The Chester night is going to be a great! I caught Bo Ningen in the same venue last year, nice and intimate.

Bit more info here: http://thereisspaceshipsoverdeeside.blo ... er_11.html

I'll be spinning a few tunes as Spaceships over Deeside, may drop some wall melters. Be cool to say hello to anyone off the board who's going!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Brother James wrote:The Chester night is going to be a great! I caught Bo Ningen in the same venue last year, nice and intimate.

Bit more info here: http://thereisspaceshipsoverdeeside.blo ... er_11.html

I'll be spinning a few tunes as Spaceships over Deeside, may drop some wall melters. Be cool to say hello to anyone off the board who's going!
Just looking at your blog. You have a nice collection of vinyl.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

It looks like the snowy weather has put paid to my thoughts of going. :x
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Barring crazy snow I am intending to attempt it. I don't want to get stuck in Leeds though - living out in the sticks means the journey home might be tricky...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That was a great night despite the nightmare journey home! Missed the last bus and took almost 90 minutes to find a taxi as it seems the cabbies all stayed at home. Then a genuinely scary trip back out of Leeds that was so blizzard-orientated I thought the driver would say he had to stop! Made it back at 1.15 a.m...

Anyway, all 3 bands were really good. I'd not seen Dead Sea Apes before but their slow-build trippy rumble was very effective - pretty atmospheric. Mugstar did their trademark pounding set which was probably the best I've seen them. 2 tracks from Lime and a couple of others that fitted into that hypnotic motorik formula they favour. There aren't many bands that pummel in the way Mugstar do and they improve with every appearance I see.

Anthropropph were just awesome. With a lengthy period of Heads inactivity this is easily the closest you can get to that level of intensity. With the powerhouse rhythm section of The Big Naturals behind him Paul Allen just tore the place apart. Big Naturals Jess and Gareth provided a huge area of pounding rhythms for Paul to run amok all over and he took full advantage. The man is an absolutely incredible guitarist. From the moment he plugged in the sounds he got his guitar to produce were fucking unbelievable and he remains one of the greatest guitarists I have ever seen. So many different sounds mixed in but when he unleashes that treacle-coated, mile-wide fuzz I could see people around me beaming with pleasure. No idea what any of the tracks were but they all hurtled in the same insane sonic direction - furious drum patterns from Jess with Gareth's super fuzzy bass laden over and then Paul's icing on the cake. The sound really enveloped you throughout the set - most impressive for the tiny Wharf Chambers setting - and they just kept on playing even when the house lights came on, with every last decibel mercilessly moulded into trippy shrieks and howls.

This was a pretty rare appearance for this outfit but anyone appreciating intense psychedelic guitars would be a fool to miss the chance to see them. I have no idea when or if The Heads will play again but this is the next best thing. Hats off to Cardinal Fuzz for putting the event on, as well as the 60 or so people who braved the snow (a big 'up' to one guy who came all the way from Germany!), but mainly to the 3 bands who came from Manchester, Liverpool and Bristol to be there. Anthropropph drove back last night - I hope their journey was OK as my short trip home wasn't any fun! But well worth it - gig of the year so far for sure.

This piccie kind of sums it up. My kids all laughed at it as they went to see One Direction last week at Manchester Arena... Bit of a contrast!
Attachments
P1050910.JPG
P1050910.JPG (50.12 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
Brother James
New user

Post by Brother James »

Really looking forward to the Chester date, especially after reading that review! One of my favourite guitar players for sure, cannot wait to hear him shred up close.

Is anybody on here heading over? Be nice to say hello. If you get there early doors i'll be spinning a few tracks, i've put some nice edits together.

@ KingHarry: Thanks!

Jim
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I shall be in attendance Brother James, although I may be driving as my last train back is 10.45, which no doubt wont fall in line with the stage times
ROPE_CLUB
New user

Post by ROPE_CLUB »

Can't wait for this gig tonight!!!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »