What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Mono - Leeds Psych Fest

Post by runcible »

Went to the hangover show from the Liverpool Psych Fest - Mono, at the ever wonderful Brudenell Social Club - last night.

I missed the bands up til about 6 p.m. as I was working but caught an unexpected 3 piece Mugstar first of all. The lack of the other guitarist - whose name escapes me - made a huge difference I thought. They lacked the ferocity I normally think of.

I've never seen Gnod before so wasn't sure what to expect. They wedged themselves into a corner in front of the stage and made very heavy dubby noise with a basic rhythm running through it and some crazy guy screaming into the mic. I really liked the first track but the rest wasn't that interesting. I know they have several different live set ups. This seemed to be somewhere between a full band and a lot of noise manipulation so possibly not what I was after.

Carlton Melton were pretty good. They didn't blow me away as I kind of hoped but I did enjoy them. Plus I was so close to the front that when the guitar played fell into the crowd he almost knocked me over which was sort of fun. I reckon a headline show would be different.

Hookworms were excellent. Everything I've said before applied - better and better. Curiously for the Brudenell the sound was a bit messy for the Worm boys and got really lumpy in the middle, and the vocals were largely inaudible, certainly for MattBenn's backing vocals... Opener Away Towards was fantastic - so much raw power in there. One grumble was the lack of new material - it's been ages since I saw these guys and I thought the set would be different but I only spotted one new track I think? Or was it 2? Whatever - the new stuff sounded brilliant. More songs please!

White Manna were incredibly heavy. I didn't expect them to be that ferocious. The first section of the set was awesome - they functioned really well as a unit and threw all manner of riffs and carnage about the place. I have that last album and only picked out one song from it from their set - the rest was unknown to me. One song which was played at a furious pace was quite incredible - a brutal riff embedded in this massive wall of fuzzed up noise. Glorious. Having said that after an hour my interest had waned and I was ready to go home. I think by that point I was wobbling to some extent and swaying a little. Plus Mrs, Runcible was ready for home time so we split.

Worth adding that the venue is as good as ever. So relaxed on the door, such nice people behind the bar. It was perfect for this kind of event and we had a very amusing time when sitting in the bar room which connects the 2 rooms the bands were in. As soon as one band finished a stream of psychonauts trailed out of one room and headed through the bar room to the other music room en masse which looked hilarious as people looked more and more spaced out as the night went on. We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. I'm amazed it wasn't sold out. £10 for 11 bands over 8 hours is easily the best value gig ticket I have ever bought. Bumped into Dave sonic124 but didn't see any other forum members. Did anyone else from here pop down? It was a really good night. Roll on Loop and Wooden Shjips in December...
clewsr
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by clewsr »

Mrs Clewsr and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the Psych fest on Friday. Physic Ills were great and we were right down the front for them. Moon Duo were pretty good but we were right down the back by then, so less intense but better visuals.

Also had fun with the Sonic / Heretic Art room.

Thanks very much to Olan for the spare ticket!

I was all set to go again Saturday evening, but the very late night on Friday and busy Saturday with kids left me too knackered to move by the evening. Disappointing. I must be getting too old. - But I'll definitely be going again next year. The Camp and Furness is a great venue, I've only been there before to see art from the Liverpool Biennial before now. - I'm sure it was Sonic, but it could have been Jason who previously did an installation in the same room for a previous Biennial.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

clewsr wrote: Also had fun with the Sonic / Heretic Art room.
I was also only there on the Friday - did try and hunt for the Sonic art room, but without success - girl on the merch stall (who admittedly was pretty clueless) suggested that it was only on on the Saturday?
Was PK there - I didn't see him.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

KingHarry wrote:
I was also only there on the Friday - did try and hunt for the Sonic art room, but without success - girl on the merch stall (who admittedly was pretty clueless) suggested that it was only on on the Saturday?

It was down a long corridor next to the coat store and the massive hot dog pot.

I hear PK was about on the Saturday.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Hofstadter wrote:
spunder wrote:Fuck buttons and haxan cloak on weds. Awesome as per.....fuck buttons volume levels were awesome, mate of mine who has seen swans reckons they surpassed that. My ears were totally screwed the following day
How were Haxan Cloak? some friends back home are sort of into them but I haven't checked 'em out.
Apologies for not responding sooner! It's a dude with a laptop doing noise/ improv nowhere near as structured as fuck buttons.... I suppose it is sorta like a contemporary free jazz, lot of atmosphere, with some structured beats every now and again, the set climaxed some gloriously loud waves of sound. Better live than on record.....
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

clewsr wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

I managed to find it. There was a bunch of seats, some fairly way-out-there wall papered panels, and a really cool drone that I returned to on several occassions. Didn't see Sonic on Saturday, but I had trouble with talking after Friday (Far, far too much beer followed up by (unexpected and fairly deadly pint of cider just before EL:BL at 2:30 on Saturday morning) so actually seeing stuff was beyond me on Sunday....Really enjoyed this festival. My previous post is very poorly phrased.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had a fantastic time at Liverpool Psych Fest myself too- was great to have a few (or more!) beers with Olan & Aquarian Time. I got a bit too drunk on the Friday so it's a bit blurry, took it easier on Saturday and took in the music better as a result.
Carlton Melton ruled. the set had the same format as always (spacey ambience into rock blowouts at the end) but they are soo damn good at what they do. they just nail it. stunning.
Moon Duo were certainly impressive but I'm not the biggest fan of their minimalist sound so wouldn't say it blew me away.
best band on Saturday were White Manna- thick guitar sound with a great groove. sounded like all new material to me, but still in similar vein to the first album.
we managed to catch the first three songs of Hookworms. they were oppressively loud to the point where all the texture of their music was lost, and the vocals were nowhere to be heard. enjoyed Fuzz much more when we moved over to them. the power trio format added a nice bit of variety too. there were so many bands doing choppy guitars over a motorik beat it got kinda repetitive (no pun intended)
caught bits and pieces of lots of other bands (The Lucid Dream really nailed the motorik beat thing, but with a poppy feel, The Wands sounded like a happier Black Angels- definite vocal similarities) it's true that a lot were average- but it was so easy to move to another stage if this was the case.

great times, will definitely consider going next year!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

PK was indeed there on the Saturday (Aquarian Time spotted him)
I do have a feeling the art thing may have only been open on the Fri nite. it wasn't that impressive to be honest. a nice drone and a nice place to chill out but nothing more.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

angelsighs wrote:(The Lucid Dream really nailed the motorik beat thing, but with a poppy feel,
Thanks angelsighs! (I am singer/guitarist in The Lucid Dream). Had a fantastic time and the crowd was superb.
I particularly enjoyed over the weekend:
Clinic (a band on an all-time high over 15 years into their career)
Night Beats (amazing set, mostly all the new Sonic Bloom album).
Dead Meadow ('Indian Bones' was bloody ace).
The Woken Trees (first band on the Camp stage Saturday)
The Wild Eyes (Blade Factory, Friday)
3D Tanx (Blade Factory, Saturday, who were on during the Hookworms/Fuzz clash)

Missed Helicon due to the Blade Factory stage running behind on Saturday, and insisting not to miss Clinic, but I cannot recommend Helicon highly enough. Enjoyed what I seen of Maston, but I was gearing up for our set so only caught 20 minutes.

Huge praise to the festival organisers, I cannot recollect a festival so good in my gig-going life. Gutted I missed Sonic Boom's thing as I was getting things together after our set, but managed to say hello to him later on.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah Noddy, forgot to mention you guys, very good set, certainly a step up from what was a decent set last year. You still didn't play Love in My veins though !!!
I'm tempted to charge up M62 on Thursday to watch you guys with Holydrug Couple (whose album is great) as I didn't catch much of them over the weekend, but with the Cult Of Dom Keller gig at The roadhouse on Friday I may be over doing it from a domestic point of view.
Anyhow top weekend and I missed Crewe get beat 3-0 at home so can't be bad !
Anymore Uk gigs in the pipeline fella ?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Noddy wrote:
angelsighs wrote:(The Lucid Dream really nailed the motorik beat thing, but with a poppy feel,
Thanks angelsighs! (I am singer/guitarist in The Lucid Dream). Had a fantastic time and the crowd was superb.
no problem! I really enjoyed your set. the sound quality was really great too (I found a lot of the bands were cranked up to 11 whether they needed it or not, particularly, as Olan said Eat Lights:Become Lights)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Did anyone happen to catch Paperhead? They would definitely have been one i wanted to see. Their albums are superb; would love to hear how those come across live.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah I saw them, kind of nuggetsy/harmony type band and then they would veer off into krautrock territory, which essentially made it all the more interesting. Musically decent, vocally average at best. Probably better on record. I will be ivestigated them further anyhow
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Their first album "Focus In On..." (i think they had a different name at the time) is an absolute classic IMO... early pink floyd/syd barrett territory. The second album follows on from that and still wears its influences on its sleeve, but what imporessed me more was the fact these guys were still kids/teens when they put this stuff out... really talented and managed to capture a really great vibe in their music. Didn't think it would capture the same essence they have on vinyl, but i had high hopes.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

CAVE : El Mamey : Secret Record Release Show - Apparently, this was supposed to be at someone's house, but issues arose and they moved it to the Puerto Rican bar close to the band's rehearsal space. Pretty weird spot for a gig, but it worked. CAVE is now a 5 piece, as they've added a multi-instrumentalist (the same dude who plays with Bitchin' Bajas) for sax, flute and percussion. I can say without a doubt that the band is better than ever and the new member makes a big difference. They're still tight as fuck, but with added dimensions. They played the whole new album. Mind-blowing stuff. Defiintely go see them, as they're going on tour starting today.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

TheWarmth wrote:CAVE : El Mamey : Secret Record Release Show - Apparently, this was supposed to be at someone's house, but issues arose and they moved it to the Puerto Rican bar close to the band's rehearsal space. Pretty weird spot for a gig, but it worked. CAVE is now a 5 piece, as they've added a multi-instrumentalist (the same dude who plays with Bitchin' Bajas) for sax, flute and percussion. I can say without a doubt that the band is better than ever and the new member makes a big difference. They're still tight as fuck, but with added dimensions. They played the whole new album. Mind-blowing stuff. Defiintely go see them, as they're going on tour starting today.
:mrgreen:

Chances of me seeing them ever again are remote as they cut the UK out of their last European tour. Boo hoo! The one show I saw was one of the most incredible performances I have ever seen.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You never know. They are going to Australia at the end of November. I'll find out if they are going to be doing any other touring and will keep you posted.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Gary Clark Jr.-Oct. 4, 2013, Roseland Ballroom - Portland, OR

I have heard the album a couple times via my son who really digs him. Took my son to go see him tonight and have to say that it was fucking incredible. I mean, like....jaw dropping stuff. The dude absolutely played his heart out and the jams poured out of his soul. At times he completely slayed the guitar.

Truly astonishing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw Lee Scratch Perry in Leeds this week. He's 77 now and I thought it looked like he was a little lost at times. Although I did enjoy it the band were different to last time and these guys were less tight and didn't deliver that same incredible punch. A fine version of George Faith's classic 'To Be A Lover' had my other half grinning inanely, but the best moment was a massively trippy 'Chase Those Crazy Bullets' which allowed Scratch to wander about mumbling incoherently, which was what was needed.

I wonder how much longer he can carry on. He looked like he was having fun. Sadly not a great many people there. I kept thinking 'this guy is one of THE most important figures in the history of music and only 150 people turn up?...'

Whatever - it's not easy to hear genuine roots reggae played live so for that it was well worthwhile.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wow, I would have thought Scratch Perry would be a pretty huge draw. Then again, Green Day fill stadiums.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

runcible wrote:I wonder how much longer he can carry on. He looked like he was having fun. Sadly not a great many people there. I kept thinking 'this guy is one of THE most important figures in the history of music and only 150 people turn up?...'

Whatever - it's not easy to hear genuine roots reggae played live so for that it was well worthwhile.
i think it depends on where you are in the world. trust you me, i would love to see him with only a hundred and fifty people. the last two times i saw him in San Diego the show were completely sold out. don't get me wrong it's a great thing for him but not for me.

just recently saw Kurt Vile with only about 100 people at the venue, they moved the gig to a lecture hall as the demand was really low. surprising as i thought he was on the rise (finally!).

off to see Johnny Marr in a few weeks and back to San Diego/LA for some shows the first week of November and possibly Mazzy Star in Canada.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Endless Boogie/Ten Benson/Mugstar
The Continental-Preston £12 advance ticket

Wow what a great night, took the good lady with me to this one and she went home grinning from ear to ear.

The venue is attached to lovely GBG Pub/Restaruant. We ate pre gig and the food is outstanding and highly reccomended. Four real ales on offer and loads of World Beers in the fridge, so all was well with the world.
The venue is excellent, decent sound, probably holds about 300 ish. Maybe 100 in attendance last night.
Mugstar do what mugstar do and it was great, they went down well. The crowd then thinned noticeably after one song from ten benson which cabn best be described as Contrived Boggie Cock Rock...ie Shit.
Endless Boogie as many of you are no doubt aware, do what their name says, the twin guitar assault was mesmeric, the bass/drums tight as a duck's ass. They played for about an hour and managed 5 songs !! Smoking Figs in the back yard was outstanding and the crowd lapped it up.
One of those nights that I will; no doubt jabber on about for some time ..Outstanding.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Acid Mothers Temple last night at the Flapper in Brum...

first up were Opium Lord- have seen these guys 3 times now, they seem to be the local support band of choice whenever anyone 'heavy' comes through! as before I liked some of the guitars and pummeling riffs, but a bit too doomy for me (don't like cookie monster vocals)

AMT were a noticeably bigger draw than Mainliner (same venue couple of weeks back), healthy crowd seemed to be a mix of psych heads and metallers!
the set was a mixed bag to me. these guys do everything to excess and it was certainly impressive how they played for 90 mins without much let up (only respite was the interlude of the sweet arpeggios of Pink Lady Lemonade, which built into the Cosmic Chant riff, then back to the arpeggio).

definitely moments that blew me away- mainly the more heads down spacerock bits where they locked into the same riff and took it home (one bit near the end had a krauty riff that reminded me of a freakier Electric Mainline); other bits were just messy and self indulgent. the sound was okay but not perfect (couldn't really hear the keyboards which is a shame as those spacey bleeps really add an extra dimension to the sound I think)

I would see them again, but I definitely preferred Mainliner, they just seemed purer and more focused.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote: The crowd then thinned noticeably after one song from ten benson which cabn best be described as Contrived Boggie Cock Rock...ie Shit.
Ten Benson are still on the go?! :shock: I'm sure I've got an album of their's lying around somewhere.

Would love to see Mugstar and Endless Boogie, you're a lucky man. :mrgreen:
angelsighs wrote: mainly the more heads down spacerock bits where they locked into the same riff and took it home (one bit near the end had a krauty riff that reminded me of a freakier Electric Mainline).
I wish I knew what album that tune is on. They played it the last time they were in Dublin and I thought the same as you regarding Electric Mainline.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw The Asteroid # 4 at The Shacklewell Arms in London last night.

I am told the previous night's gig in Brighten was attended by less than 10 people as the promoter split and didn't do any publicity! Whatever - this was the first full show I've seen the Asteroid boys do and they were absolutely fantastic. A brilliant guitar layering process accompanied most of the songs they did so by the end of each one they created a glorious pulsating wall of irresistible fuzz.

I'd not been to the Shacklewell before and it was a pretty cool venue. Rather small but easy to get about and with a very decent sound system which the band made the most of. To my surprise I don't think I heard any songs from their new album - nor our own Dock Ellis release either! But to hear 'What A Sorry Way To Go' in the middle - and a stonking version of too - was a real treat. Some carefully selected nuggets from These Flowers of Ours' and more made up a set that was well received and so enjoyable I just couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

Kaleidscope's Peter Daltrey appeared for a few songs in the middle which, despite easing up the intensity to some extent, worked really well and his voice was instantly recognisable. A couple of encores at the end culminated in, to my astonishment and delight, a version of 'Into The Meadow', one of my absolute favourite A#4 songs and one which had everyone bouncing in general euphoria. It was absolutely fucking brilliant and I just didn't want it to stop as they swooped for yet another round of riffish melody, all the time steadily increasing the throbbing power...

Met up with most of the band who were endlessly chatty and friendly, and more than happy to babble away to a couple of obviously trashed individuals in the form of me and my companion. What a lovely bunch they are! Also bumped into the Electric Kool Aid's Dean after... We ended up leaving at some Godforsaken hour and grabbing some night bus. I was pretty worse for wear by that point and had absolutely no idea where I was or what direction we were going in, but I know I was having a lot of fun so it didn't matter.

The final thing to say is that I knew these guys were going to be good but they massively exceeded my expectations and were quite outstanding. What a treat and well worth the 400 mile round trip and carnage at King's Cros station this morning due to all trains back to Leeds being cancelled.

Hope they come back soon - just superb.

One pic for you, with Peter Daltrey...
Attachments
Smaller.jpg
Smaller.jpg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 31281 times
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

went to see Home Comfort w Beneficial Nemetoad last night.
HC is Matt Valentine & friends, BN is J Mascis & friends.

Matt Valentine's sweet heavy liquid guitar, long jams and great sonic rapport with Orion Russel on bass (and the whole band) cured my ills for the week. they covered one more cup of coffee, pale blue eyes and maybe another, but covered isn't the right word. they offered up their own lovely lope-a-long* versions. also some really fabulous originals throughout both their sets, am very psyched to hear them again..
if I can still hear after Nemetoad. always a pleasure to have a good sludge-fest, but gosh it was a bit loud/caustic for even me. one long instrumental set, great to rock out but i had to take a break and stand outside for a while.

*whatever this means, I dunno, it just feels right

judging by the band name (heh), not sure Home Comfort is gonna travel, but if they do, I vote for you to go see them!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Public Image Ltd on Sunday night. in an ideal world Levene and Wobble would be there, but I went with an open mind (after all, how many lineup changes have Spz had?) and really enjoyed it. It wasn't really like the early days of Pil.. didn't get the impression much was improvised, nor that Lydon was bearing his soul or anything.. it was just a darn good show. the bass was meaty and thick as it should be, and Lu Edmonds is a great guitar player- less spiky and angular than Levene, with a more shimmery and trippy edge.
my only minor gripe would be with the setlist. we did get a healthy helping from Metal Box (Poptones sounded fantastic!.. and they played Albatross!) but only one from the first album (Public Image). the new material is okay, nothing special.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: my only minor gripe would be with the setlist. we did get a healthy helping from Metal Box (Poptones sounded fantastic!.. and they played Albatross!) but only one from the first album (Public Image). the new material is okay, nothing special.
I'd go along with that. I've seen them twice now since they reformed (their own gig and a festival appearance), don't think i'd bother going for a third time.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Primal Scream tonight in Belfast

A mixed bag.
Fine set list (will post it later)
Terrific performance, from bobby & the two newer members in particular.

However.. An early start (20:15) & the gig over @ 22.05 is not something I can get on board with. In fact I find it an affront to my rock n roll nature! A headline band shouldn't really be coming on stage until 22:30 @ the very earliest!
It seemed like they were in a rush to catch the last plane off the island, like bishop Brennan in father ted..
I understand an 11o'clock curfew, esp on a weeknight, although I don't actually agree w/it esp not regarding club gigs.. An arena or stadium show ok people have got to get public transport etc but for a handful of relatively hardcore fans.. is just a little extra consideration asking too much?? 8:15 (david Holmes started gig @ 7 or so) is far too early for people to get home from work & ready to go out.
I'd have loved to hear what dh was playing as a precourser to the show but never got the chance. I've seen him open for a few bands, thee oh sees & wooden shjips but had no hope of seeing him this time: in effect I was cheated out of the opening act & didn't get value for money which is p galling given how the politicisation of PS is what made/makes me a fan. £30 for Z90odd mins of a show isn't exactly praiseworthy...

In spite of that they delivered an arena/festival performance in a small venue. They really were superb, bobby had the crowd in the palm of his hand the two new players had a freshness & superb chemistry - tho the guitarist , indicative of PR as a whole was far too much an indie rock guitarist opposed to the unapologetic classic rockist they've always been crying out for..
The tshirts were shite also.

Tl;dr version - good gig, could've been great if they'd actually cared a bit (more)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I had similar issues re: price with Pil... haven't paid 30 notes for a gig in a good while. it wasn't so long ago stadium gigs cost close to that!
this was somewhat soothed by the fact that there were two support acts (Ericka Nicolls and The Selecter). even though not my cup of tea, I made darn sure I caught them, to get my money's worth!
sunray wrote:I'd go along with that. I've seen them twice now since they reformed (their own gig and a festival appearance), don't think i'd bother going for a third time.
yeah although I enjoyed it I wouldn't rush out to see them again. I checked out some of their setlists and they seem to play a largely similar set each time. maybe if they do another new album I'll go along, but for now I've had my fill of Pil!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote: However.. An early start (20:15) & the gig over @ 22.05 is not something I can get on board with. In fact I find it an affront to my rock n roll nature! A headline band shouldn't really be coming on stage until 22:30 @ the very earliest!
:lol: I'm the opposite. Not living in the city late gigs annoy the fuck out of me. Headliner should be on at 9 and finish at 11. And if they only play an hour set they should just finish early rather than come on late. Some promoters have no concept of the fact that plenty of people at their gigs have last buses or trains to catch. We can't all afford hotels you know.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've got to an age now whereby I'm almost relieved when I find out it's an early start/finish :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm with the 'elders' on the board. I'm too old and have too many children for really late gigs. I love it when it's done and dusted by 11. I can't stay up late these days - and in a similar way I'm not very good at lying in in the morning as I wake up and get bored so tend to get up. Used to sleep til the afternoon if given the chance, but that was 25 years ago.

This will happen to you too JW. Just give it time.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

As a confirmed sleep-lover who doesn't live in the city, I'll take an early start and finish to a gig any time (as long as it doesn't impact on the length of the actual set). I enjoy being able to get a drink post-gig and get home via public transport before it shuts down for the night.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

runcible wrote:I'm with the 'elders' on the board. I'm too old and have too many children for really late gigs. I love it when it's done and dusted by 11. I can't stay up late these days - and in a similar way I'm not very good at lying in in the morning as I wake up and get bored so tend to get up. Used to sleep til the afternoon if given the chance, but that was 25 years ago.

hahaha! you old fart! :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Went to see Steve Mason last night at ABC2 in Glasgow, excellent show and a good crowd, all up for it except for a couple of `talkers` to the rear of me. Set made up mostly from this years superb Monkey Minds In The Devils Time, with a couple from Boys Outside and a KBT tune I wasn`t familiar with but good all the same. The highlight for me was Goodbye Youth/ Never Be A Lone and Come To Me, Joyous stuff and just great song writing , Steve Mason was in fine form all night regaling the crowd with jokes, humorous story`s & political rants. Must mention the band backing him up were very good as well particularly the guitarist adding some fine touches .Steve Mason hasn`t done many shows to promote this album , think he done even less for Boys Outside, but if you get the chance to see him, highly recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Primal Scream last night. Glad to say that after been a bit underwhelmed on the previous three occasions ( 2 Screamadelica gigs and a festival appearance) they were back on form last night. This was the best I've seen them since that gig in Galway with Spiritualized a few years ago.

The band came on and Bobby announced Lou Reed's passing, which didn't really get much reaction from the crowd, this in turn seemed to annoy Gillespie. But really, how do you react to that? Cheer, boo, clap? :? I feared they weren't really going to cut it when they opened with a fairly ordinary 2013 and Jailbird but then they hit us with a triple-whammy of Burning Wheel, Shoot Speed Kill Light and Accelerator. Found it quite amazing that during Burning Wheel a guy asked his mate what album it was off and his response was "I think it's a new one" :shock:
They then went into a trio of slow songs off More Light ( Culturecide, Walking With The Beast and I forget the other ) that were absolutely beautiful. Really worked. Also got the return of Autobahn 66 to the set, a storming Swastika Eyes and a phenomenal Higher Than The Sun in which Bobby dropped in a verse from the VU's Rock and Roll.

All in all a really good gig and mightily relieved that the Scream can still do it for me. :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Culturecide" is pretty heavy and uptempo. I sure wouldn't call it a slow song. Glad you enjoyed the gig. I really hope they come back to the U.S. soon.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:"Culturecide" is pretty heavy and uptempo. I sure wouldn't call it a slow song. Glad you enjoyed the gig. I really hope they come back to the U.S. soon.
Just gave the album version a listen and they definitely played it a bit quieter and more spacey live. Good song either way!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:Also got the return of Autobahn 66 to the set...

All in all a really good gig and mightily relieved that the Scream can still do it for me. :D
'Autobahn 66'! Great stuff. This pleases me. Did they also play 'Relativity'? That was the absolute highlight when I last saw them - this was like a year before More Light and everything, just when they played that it went from being a good gig to an all-time great one.

I actually passed on seeing them in Glasgow in December this time - I just can't be bothered with seeing them in the vast air-craft hanger that is the SECC again. As purveyors of quality rock 'n' roll thrills they sell themselves short by playing that shithole. The endless Police State style security twats at the door and inside is enough to put you off, nevermind the insane queues for the insanely overpriced shit drinks selection. OK, they totally ruled when the played Screamadelica show - although that might have been because I was partying like it was 1991...

Glad they mentioned Lou though - funnily enough the first time I ever saw The Scream play, Bobby turned to the audience and asked "do you like The Velvet Underground? We LOVE The Velvet Underground..." and they then proceeded to play a shit-hot take of 'What Goes On'. Amazing...
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:I'm with the 'elders' on the board. I'm too old and have too many children for really late gigs. I love it when it's done and dusted by 11. I can't stay up late these days - and in a similar way I'm not very good at lying in in the morning as I wake up and get bored so tend to get up. Used to sleep til the afternoon if given the chance, but that was 25 years ago.

This will happen to you too JW. Just give it time.
I agree with this 100%. Even on weekends I am usually up by 7:30am at the latest. Often earlier. Gigs at Portland bars are notorious to finish around 1:30-2am. I have been to Spindrift gigs in the past where they didn't take the stage until midnight. PK/Spectrum once took the stage nearing 1am. I used to take pride in going to these shows...my rock and roll nature took over and even if I had to go solo, I would. Nowadays, however, I would ONLY do it if it is a weekend and I feel the urge to see the band. The money involved is always a factor but..more to the point my job is simply too hard and tiring to do it well if I am exhausted from a late night. It would have to be a really fucking special band/gig to get me to do anything after midnight these days.

I have Mazzy this Sunday and I am expecting they will finish 11:30-12. Even that is pushing it. But, Mazzy is special. The following day Tame Impala are here playing a low key show. I could honestly care less about them and I normally wouldn't choose to spend money - let alone see them on a Monday night. But, my son is desperate to go so I told him I would try and get a couple tickets. These are exceptions.

Trust us JW...it will happen to you too, sooner or later.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

In the midst of the show, at the stroke of 11pm, a group of mysteriously cloaked and hooded figures began to walk through through the crowd towards the exit. Some walked very slowly, a few others clearly were hobbling and limping. At least one used a stick.
One young gig-goer spotted this uncanny sight, and turned to his older brother and asked him, shouting over the noise of the gig:

"Who are those guys?"

His brother turned, stared at them, then looked back at him, his face white.

"They are.... The Elders.

And we shouldn't speak about them. Bad things'll happen..."

:wink:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:In the midst of the show, at the stroke of 11pm, a group of mysteriously cloaked and hooded figures began to walk through through the crowd towards the exit. Some walked very slowly, a few others clearly were hobbling and limping. At least one used a stick.
One young gig-goer spotted this uncanny sight, and turned to his older brother and asked him, shouting over the noise of the gig:

"Who are those guys?"

Too right. I'm glad us oldies finally get the respect we deserve. I'm going cloak shopping this morning in fact.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote:
sunray wrote:Also got the return of Autobahn 66 to the set...

'Autobahn 66'! Great stuff. This pleases me. Did they also play 'Relativity'? That was the absolute highlight when I last saw them - this was like a year before More Light and everything, just when they played that it went from being a good gig to an all-time great one.

Glad they mentioned Lou though - funnily enough the first time I ever saw The Scream play, Bobby turned to the audience and asked "do you like The Velvet Underground? We LOVE The Velvet Underground..." and they then proceeded to play a shit-hot take of 'What Goes On'. Amazing...
No Relativity unfortunately, as that's my favourite off More Light. They did play it in Belfast. The trio of Culturecide, River Of Pain and Walking With The Beast was beautiful though. Other new songs played were 2013, Goodbye Johnny and It's Alright, It's Ok.

I was hoping they'd play What Goes On as i'd seen them play a fantastic version of that myself a few years ago. 8)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

first of all let me say that i actually share a few traits in common w/those supporting earlier start times: i live outside the city & i'm also an early riser, especially on weekends. both those factors are out of choice however which is maybe the crux of the matter (i don't like the city & i like morning time and/or i just like being awake.)
& i agree there are a lot of concerts where i'd definitely take an early start/finish time.

i mean if you're going to a folksy gig or a provincial band or the latest garage/psych band to come thru town or just general wishy-washy whistle-stop tour performances then yea by all means get me out of there early & back in my bed asap.
but if you're going out dancing it's different. you should plan accordingly.

& it is different when you're going to a rock n roll show. or it was meant to be, was promised to me a long time ago.
it shouldn't be just a normal gig. & you gotta give people time to get warmed up for that sorta experience. it's not something you can just turn on, it's got to build to the right time: the PS gig seemed to just be getting going right as it was ending.
& then there was nothing to do. the moment was gone. it was barely there, a few glimpses of it. but enough to know it did & still does exist.
the worst part was there was no reason for it. unless there was but it was left unexplained to me.

& anyway back on topic. yea the rock n roll gigs shouldn't be boxed into some conventional timeframe. i get the matters of health & professionalism & i am willing to compromise. it's just PS seemed to take an extremist view on the subject, a position which is opposite that to which i've bought into & it kinda wounded me. i was disappointed cause.. well i think i'm right to be blatantly honest.
everyone can make compromises & it's not like you guys w/kids are going out to rock gigs 365 days a yr. treat it as a special occasion, make arrangements as best you can. it's not just meant to be 'oh lets go see a show & appreciate it for what it is' standoffish exhibition. it's more like church: you're meant to participate & share! ideally share your sins but whatever gets you off.
but yea lets go see this great protest band & instead of talking long into the night with your friends let's be tucked up in bed by 11. that's much more fun.... next week well maybe go see the magic numbers & travis..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea Relativity was really good. but it was a good show so i wouldn't necessarily say it was a standout. prob in terms of the new tracks for me it is.

they played two nights in belfast. i couldn't go to the wednesday show.
don't get me started on what i think of gigs on a weeknight.. :roll:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BzaInSpace wrote:In the midst of the show, at the stroke of 11pm, a group of mysteriously cloaked and hooded figures began to walk through through the crowd towards the exit. Some walked very slowly, a few others clearly were hobbling and limping. At least one used a stick.

"Who are those guys?"

You laugh. At least we beat the traffic!
Attachments
elders.png
elders.png (27.18 KiB) Viewed 30867 times
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote: everyone can make compromises & it's not like you guys w/kids are going out to rock gigs 365 days a yr. treat it as a special occasion, make arrangements as best you can. it's not just meant to be 'oh lets go see a show & appreciate it for what it is' standoffish exhibition. it's more like church: you're meant to participate & share! ideally share your sins but whatever gets you off.
but yea lets go see this great protest band & instead of talking long into the night with your friends let's be tucked up in bed by 11. that's much more fun.... next week well maybe go see the magic numbers & travis..
:roll:
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

neutral milk hotel on saturday night with half japanese opening. by the time i got into nmh in spring of '99, they weren't playing any shows, so this was my first time seeing them.
i went not knowing what to expect and left having experienced a very beautiful show. this is a band i never thought i'd ever get to see.
even got to hug jeff mangum :)
Last edited by slide_song on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jack, spend a day with me in my job. Just one day. I guarantee that even you would start to choose wisely what late night, mid-week 1-2am finish gig you would attend.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

redcloud, may I ask what your profession is? Or what sector you're in? My job isn't too good if I'm trying to go to gigs (or for nights out in general). But I guess I'm still young-ish. It's a pain when you can't fully let go and enjoy a gig because you know you have a ludicrously early start, or just worked the shift from hell before going to the gig.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

heisenberg wrote:redcloud, may I ask what your profession is? Or what sector you're in?
I teach in a school with high poverty. My classes have 40-50 kids many with a variety of diverse needs. To come in unprepared or exhausted from a ridiculously late night out (1-2am) means my students wont have me at my best, which isn't fair to them. Not to mention, eight hours with that many personalities/social issues in one room, on very little sleep, makes for a LONG, and possibly difficult day.

I used to be able to do it....but, these days it has to be a really important band to me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Saw Tav Falco in San Diego. Very nice set. Lots of covers (funnel of love, goldfinger, tobacco road, etc) and even some material from his first album. Even a little dance number with his wife (?). I've been listening to his recordings for a few years now, as well as youtube videos from various points in his career, and I was really surprised at how tight the band he played with was. There were still a lot of hiccups, but when they all connected, it sounded fantastic. His lead guitarist guy is fantastic and shreddddddds.

I was just disappointed more people weren't there to see it. Maybe 30 at most.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:well i think i'm right to be blatantly honest.
everyone can make compromises & it's not like you guys w/kids are going out to rock gigs 365 days a yr. treat it as a special occasion, make arrangements as best you can. it's not just meant to be 'oh lets go see a show & appreciate it for what it is' standoffish exhibition. it's more like church: you're meant to participate & share! ideally share your sins but whatever gets you off.
Hmmpfff.
When I was in my 20s and 30s I didn't really care. Now I most certainly do. I love it when a show starts earlier and ends earlier. That gives more time to sit around and bullshit with others about music, politics, art, baseball. You are not rushed out of a bar so they staff can get out. I also like getting home earlier. It matters to me. It allows me to function normally the next day. Which is important 'cuz I have a few jobs. Also, I have no wife or kids and dont need to make arrangements.
I love all ages gigs too. They start earlier and the crowd buzz is usually better.
Maybe they should bring back smoking? That would make it more authentic.
Attachments
ears.png
ears.png (21.56 KiB) Viewed 31264 times
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Well now that you mention it.. There were a few times during that PS gig where I wished I could've sparked up a spliff like the good old days..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

bear with me here, I got charmed:

Despite the initial sound snafu, a mindblowingly good show last night from the good witch who is Nik Turner, flautist saxophonist poet Thunder Rider and his current incarnation of Hawkwind, every one of them a vehicle for the Magic.
Saved my soul, and on Hallowe'en, too. Transcendent rhythmic swirling meteorites. headbanging, vibe catching, floating in space, naiads, dryads, and a whole lot of folks in costume as well.
Plus they did "Orgone Accumulator"
had a really wonderful talk afterwards with Nicky Garratt and a very sweet and funny meeting w Nik Turner.
Beautiful evening.

and here's a plug for Nicky Garratt's new cookbook:
http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php/NickyGarratt
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm on the fence about the time of gigs debate. I do think you are often in a better mindset for rock music after a certain time. a headline act at 7pm just wouldn't 'feel' right for me!
however I do wish that gigs finished a little earlier. because catching the last train can be hit or miss, I often drive.. which means I can't drink. not everyone lives in the city.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

gig start times are a bit of a concern for me. i don't go to weekend bar shows any more because they all start at 10 and that usually means that i won't get home until around 1:30 or 2. i don't mind the late time so much as the fact that on a weekend night at around 10 that's when most people who are out begin their mission to get completely obliterated, so if you're at a bar show by the time the headliner goes on at midnight everyone is completely shit-faced and you find yourself in a packed room full of drunk jerks. it's less about the time and more about the amateur hour histrionics for me. plus if i'm going to be in a packed room with drunk people i'm going to need a little time to wind down before i go to sleep. i'm a night person and i stay up late mainly so that i can wind down by myself and collect my thoughts before i go to sleep. if i'm deprived of this i get really cranky. for me it has way less to do with age since this kind of nonsense has annoyed me since i was old enough to go to 18 and over shows. if i want to see something bad enough to endure a bunch of sleep deprivation the next day at work then i've found i'll go if i want to bad enough- i'm just pickier about what i'm willing to deprive myself of sleep over.

all ages shows have started to become something i will make time to go to because i've found that people are usually there to listen to music. at 21+/18+ shows the crowd's more broken up into factions- people there to listen to music, people there to listen to music and enjoy a drink or two and enjoy their night and then people who are there to get completely amateur-hour blitzed and make a total spectacle of themselves. it's a bonus that all ages shows start earlier because then after the show there's a nice chunk of time to collect my thoughts and wind down. there's also the option of stopping somewhere afterward for something to eat or a drink.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Just seen Norman Watt-Roy at The Wedgewood rooms Portsmouth.What a great evening.Wilco johnson guested.stil there, still here. The 45s were support ,lads just outa school playing 50s-60s r&b. Cool !
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw Mark Lanegan do a sort of unplugged show at Leeds College of Music last night. Except it was largely electric, just without any real percussion or noisy stuff.

I did enjoy it - the style of evening leant itself well to the man's truly incredible voice. But I felt like I needed a little more. I must confess I knew very little of the set - 2 songs from Blues Funeral and a Trees song at the end (Halo of Ashes). I noticed him do Neil Diamond's 'Solitaire' and the Bond theme 'You Only Live Twice' too.

What was good was that the sound was absolutely spot on. You could hear every note from everyone on stage. But this was Leeds College of Music after all! Not one for those keen on a few pints as it a venue where you were only allowed in between songs so not very bladder-friendly. Also unnumbered seating so if you moved you lost your seat. And a crazy amount of stairs to get to the auditorium.

Still, a decent night albeit an expensive one at £20 a ticket. I'd prefer a full band though...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mazzy Star - Crystal Ballroom; Portland, OR 11-04-13

Firstly, the Crystal is probably my least favorite venue here in Portland. Sure, it is legendary, the Dead played here in the 60's. Yes, it is a lovely atmosphere. BUT, it is incredibly uncomfortable to enjoy a gig. The stage sits in a corner at an angle, they awkwardly section the venue off with barriers for minors on one side and 21+ on the other and even though the cap is apparently 1500 it quite honestly feels like 2000 when sold out. Much of this, I'm sure has to do with the barriers. Mazzy, last night, was sold out so we were packed very tightly in the room. Also, of the shows I have been to at the Crystal the sound is never great. Last night suffered from all of the above complaints.

The first opener, a folk singer wasn't brilliant for this space. The songs were long, folk'ish, with a wailing female singer that was more suited to a smaller venue (or Glastonbury Tor?). Reminded me somewhat of The Incredible String Band except it was just a woman with an acoustic and a guy playing something strange with his fingertips and sometimes beating on a drum.

As the second band were setting up the crowd was closing in around us. We were next to a barrier where those with special passes were allowed so on our left was a barrier where we couldn't move and around us on three sides were people. What "real estate" we had we had to stake it and hold on to it when going for a drink or potty break.

Second band opened with Love's "A House Is Not A Motel" and then proceeded to play a short but electrifying fuzzed out/wah drenched set of 60's style Nuggets garage psych punk that seemed to start and end with a lot of delay/wah feedback. The bass player was androgynous looking...like a character from the Addams Family. They were ok, kind of cool actually, but again...if we were in a venue half its size they would have totally owned the place. People seemed to dig it as the band were standing on their amps rocking out or flailing around on the stage with screeching feedback.

As the set was being changed for Mazzy what real estate we had was quickly snuffed out and we really were rubbing shoulders with people around us. A six-piece Mazzy came on to a projection that reminded me somewhat of the old 60's outer space shows ("Lost In Space") and played 'Look On Down From The Bridge'. Hope looking as feminine and as gorgeous as ever took the spotlight with her various hand-held instruments (harmonica, tambourine, bells etc.), Dave was stage left in the shadows switching from electric to acoustic guitar. In between each song was what sounded like piped music but could have been a loop being played by the organ/keys. The dim lighting and various projections made it atmospheric and moody (lovely smoke projection during 'Fade Into You'). While the tunes were faithful to the originals the band did seem like they were still finding their feet...at times I wasn't sure if they were totally in sync. Not unexpected as it was the first show of the tour. Sound wise though it wasn't crystal clear there seemed to be some distortion in the mix or the acoustics were not working in the room, which bothered me somewhat. I have seen both Mazzy and Hope before so I didn't expect much stage presence or interaction with the audience and last night wasn't any different. The crowd, as large as it was, seemed quite respectful and quiet as they did their quieter songs. There were a lot of signs saying no photography or video - people were, so the youtube vids will no doubt be up but, I saw a handful of people get accosted by security so they were pretty hot on it.

Still, it was a decent gig and those going to see these shows will probably enjoy it. I just wish it was at a different venue here in town.

Set list:

Look on Down From the Bridge
Cry, Cry
Lay Myself Down
Ride It On
Does Someone Have Your Baby Now?
She Hangs Brightly
Halah
Fade Into You
In the Kingdom
Blue Flower
Disappear
Flying Low

Encore:
California
Umbilical
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Thanks for the Mazzy review. I am looking forward to seeing them on Sunday in the same venue I saw them in almost exactly 19 years ago. I imagine this show will be a little more crowded.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thanks for the mazzy review, redcloud! thanks for posting the setlist too- that is a pretty nice looking set of songs. seeing them in a little under two weeks and very much looking forward to it. i like what you said about the crystal ballroom too- that's pretty much exactly as i remember it.

i saw my bloody valentine last night and it was even better than last time. in 2008 they had a few little flubs and sound troubles. the only sound problems last night were due to the venue- the aragon is the most cavernous room i've ever been in. terrible. but the band were spot on and energetic. i thought the new songs sounded amazing, the old ones that they played last time were even more hard-hitting and they opened with 'sometimes' (which i've always wanted to hear them perform).

there was a decent mix, too- the last time you could really just hear kevin's guitar and the drums and occasionally the bass. last night i could hear bilinda's guitar as well as the keyboards and guitar parts played by their fifth member. they played 'honey power' with a three guitar attack that was absolutely fantastic! i also loved that they had deb sing backups on 'new you'- it sounded really nice.

when they did the noise holocaust it was somehow even louder than last time- when they broke back into the song it sounded like a whisper in comparison. it's amazing to me how, even though i know what to expect in my mind, the impact of being swallowed up by all of that noise is never dulled. it was only a 12 minute version- which when i say it seems pretty ridiculous. my wife had to close her eyes the whole time because the visuals were so intense. plus i was home by 10:30 so i could drink some beers and watch 'seinfeld' episodes.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Deja vu....I was back down at the Crystal Ballroom tonight with my son to see if we could get inside a rather low key/end of tour Tame Impala gig. Got down there without tickets but easily got inside. It was so low key there wasn't even any merch left as it was literally the final show of their North American tour but Portland also wasn't officially scheduled on this tour.

The story behind the gig was they were originally supposed to play here in early December with another band (Vampire Weekend?) but decided to split from that radio sponsored tour. They still wanted to make due on their commitment to Portland and the people who originally bought tickets to the Tame Impala/Vampire Weekend gig received emails about the split concert. Nowhere on Tame Impala's site was it listed nor was it on the Crystal Ballroom website (until tonight). We caught wind of the gig a couple weeks ago and I told my son I would take him down to see if we could get in. As he loves TI he was super stoked when we easily got a couple tickets and made our way inside.

I don't know enough about Tame Impala's music to write a review but, they played a 90 minute set with no opening act (gig finished at 9:45!). Nice psychedelic strobe like projections and a few musical wig outs made for a decent show. But, their music seems overly complex to me....it veers left, right, backwards etc. at the drop of a hat. Time signatures that are all over the place. "Half Full Glass of Wine" tonight was a cool jam with strobes, fuzz etc. Definite highlight for me. My son loved the concert from start to finish and he got a copy of the official set list from a roadie, which made for a perfect ending to his evening.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

DOPE you sound like an awesome dad. Tell your son to listen to the Holydrug Couple if he hasn't already I guarantee he will love them.