What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

JakeCardigan
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by JakeCardigan »

ro wrote:oh, nice!
I'd love to know when it's from, Jake.
they rotate personnel quite a bit, so I imagine their sound changes depending on when & where they're gigging.
This is quite an old one.. I can't remember how I got hold of it but I have the promo disc that came with this Head Heritage release - http://www.headheritage.co.uk/julian_co ... aphy/rome/

But the 16min version of Jaybird is amazing
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Katy Perry at Sheffield Arena!

The alter ego to my normal psychonaut self finds me taking my kids to various pop-orientated shows. My 2 eldest got tickets as Christmas presents so I took them along. I have to say I really rather enjoyed it, but I have never seen a stage show like that. It was absolutely ridiculous yet something of a triumph as the entire audience went into an increasingly delirious frenzy as it went on. Fireworks, musicians dangling from wires, more costume and set changes than I could keep up with, a large mechanical horse, huge inflatable objects and at the end we were all immersed in a vast blizzard of confetti-like bits of paper that was curiously psychedelic with all the lights shining through it. When I got in the shower this morning there were bits of confetti all over the floor and I bet I'll find some in the car when I drive to work. Musically it wasn't for me really although I recognised a few songs of course, but it was hard not to get caught up in the atmosphere which was absolutely jumping - everyone around me was singing along to every word and going totally bananas, so I felt a little out of place in my Heads t-shirt. Katy herself has a pretty good voice and coaxed the crowd in fine fashion, and she came across as being rather sweet. Lots of banter and chit chat among the songs and there was a good camaraderie between her and her team of dancers.

I'm not really one for stage shows but that was very impressive. The back stage projections were absolutely incredible at times - I was amazed at the imagination of the graphics and imagery they were using. At one point Katy and her dancers were all acid house ravers with smiley faces all over them, the stage and the screen at the back which then melted into whirling tie-dye shit that wouldn't have out of place at a Grateful Dead show.

I may have to take them to One Direction next week God help me. I wonder of those boys achieve the level Katy P set herself at - not going to be easy.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:Katy Perry at Sheffield Arena!

I felt a little out of place in my Heads t-shirt.

too funny.

yea you don't mind so much paying for an arena show when the production is superb.

good luck w/1D tho. would be my idea of hell on earth that. only thing would've been worse would've been westlife when they were at their most popular.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I like being the black sheep at gigs like that! I went to see Cliff Richard in an Electric Wizard t-shirt and met the guy and had a pic taken of me with him when I wore it. I am amazed he didn't ask what it was as it looks pretty Satanic!

That show last night was kind of mind-blowing. I was astonished at what went on. When I read of the utter shite Miley Cyrus is peddling it made me admire Katy Perry for putting on an incredible show and not trying to be sensationalist. Very glad my kids prefer Katy to Miley!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I know which I'd rather watch out of Katy Perry and One Direction (and I don't just mean that in the red blooded male sense!).. Katy's not actually too bad on the pop spectrum, it's still cheesy pop but not quite as horrifically manufactured as One Direction

I went to two gigs in a row this week, both in the same venue- the Zephyr Lounge which is the sister venue to the main venue in town. very small pub sized space, and even then far from sold out!

firstly Chameleons Vox playing Script of The Bridge in full. I saw these a couple of years back where they blew away my expectations. this show wasn't quite as impressive but still good. the crowd must only have been around 100 or so but everyone seemed to be a proper Chameleons fan (singing along to every word etc), so more than made up for that in quality!
the sound could've been better- the intricacies of the guitars got a little lost in comparison to the thump of the rhythm section. perhaps partly from playing in such a small space.
I also realised that these 'albums in full' shows take away the excitement of what may be coming next (often part of the thrill of a gig). that's why I think the encore was my favourite part- they seemed to be taking requests from the audience and ripped through Swamp Thing, Perfume Garden and In Shreds. top stuff.

next night was Dean Wareham. even less people in attendance this time! but to his credit he still put on a top show (even with his voice struggling apparently, which I didn't notice). the sound was much better this night- nice and crisp. I'm not familiar with the new album (apart from Holding Pattern which I must have heard somewhere before), but the songs slotted in brilliantly with the old Galaxie 500 stuff- simple, minimal and impeccably constructed. this man knows how to write a song.
the set also got surprisingly muscular at times (slowcore he is not) and I was impressed by Dean's guitar playing. the Galaxie songs played from memory were Flowers, Strange, Tugboat... and the encore was a cover of Indian Summer.

really enjoyed both shows, glad I managed to catch them as don't think they will be coming back, considering the rather small turnouts! had a brief chat with Dean & Britta at the merch desk and thanked them for coming to "our strange little town" :)
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:Katy Perry at Sheffield Arena!

I may have to take them to One Direction next week God help me. I wonder of those boys achieve the level Katy P set herself at - not going to be easy.
Don't do it just so wrong :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sad to hear that Dean's crowds have dwindled even further from the last set of shows. I put it down to bad promotion more than anything, maybe I will get him a show next time!

I booked Klaus Johann Grobe to play Manchester on Thursday and it was a bloody great show! Turn out was pretty good considering they're not exactly known, had about 40-45 people in a room which would likely not fit more than 60. Lost a little money but that's not the idea is it? They were really great, nice guys too. They've got a bit of a kraut-rock stereolab vibe going on, but with a lot of pop and soul influence on the songwriting too. Nice use of the Farfisa throughout.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went to see Gruff Rhys do his American Interior gig/PowerPoint presentation show a couple of Fridays ago as part of the Brighton Festival. He is such a charming character, a real showman without being a show off. He is a great story teller and the audience were quiet and really respectful. Just him and a guitar and vocal effects. The American Interior material sounding great and we were also treated to some of his back catalogue including great versions of Candylion and Sensations In The Dark. It was just a very nice evening with the good lady wife. It doesn't always have to be about the heavy blast of psychedelic drone rock :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Follakzoid at the Brudenell last night.

First chance I've had to see part of the South American psychedelic revolution and these boys didn't disappoint. From the off they melted into heavy, guitar-orientated motorik grooves. It was completely hypnotic and every track they played was excellent - hefty psychedelic krautrock is right up my street. This was in the games room of the Brudenell so the sound system was a compact size - but, as with all things at that venue, it was spot on. The sound was so damn good it had me smiling at times, but then I saw the guy on the desk bopping about and occasionally moving out from behind his equipment to check how it all sounded elsewhere - what a refreshing thing to witness.

No idea how many tracks they did but every one was good. No idea what they are all called but they functioned superbly as a unit but the guitarist (wearing a Ladies and Gentlemen t-shirt) is worth singling out. He did everything you'd hope for - lovely little riffs and rhythms as well as hitting the effects pedals in glorious fashion. What a player! I haven't seen someone play that since the dizzy days of Ronald Jones, ex-Flaming Lips guitar god. At one point he played this really neat little motif, hit a couple of chunky notes and then plunged everyone into this massive bath of fuzzy distortion which totally enveloped you. I saw loads of people smiling at that point and I smiled too.

This show way way exceeded my expectations. I can't recommend these guys enough. And a huge thumbs up to them for coming on 5 minutes early and going off 15 minutes after they were meant to stop. I also found myself sitting next to Brudenell main man Nath Clark before the show - never met him before - and had a great chat with the guy. Lovely chap and it was a privilege to natter with one of the most important characters on the live music scene in the UK. Long may he continue to provide such enjoyable nights.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:the guitarist (wearing a Ladies and Gentlemen t-shirt) is worth singling out.
That's gotta be a good omen...

Sounds like an awesome show - and I understand the ticket price was pleasing also? :wink:
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:Follakzoid at the Brudenell last night.

First chance I've had to see part of the South American psychedelic revolution and these boys didn't disappoint. From the off they melted into heavy, guitar-orientated motorik grooves. It was completely hypnotic and every track they played was excellent - hefty psychedelic krautrock is right up my street. This was in the games room of the Brudenell so the sound system was a compact size - but, as with all things at that venue, it was spot on. The sound was so damn good it had me smiling at times, but then I saw the guy on the desk bopping about and occasionally moving out from behind his equipment to check how it all sounded elsewhere - what a refreshing thing to witness.

No idea how many tracks they did but every one was good. No idea what they are all called but they functioned superbly as a unit but the guitarist (wearing a Ladies and Gentlemen t-shirt) is worth singling out. He did everything you'd hope for - lovely little riffs and rhythms as well as hitting the effects pedals in glorious fashion. What a player! I haven't seen someone play that since the dizzy days of Ronald Jones, ex-Flaming Lips guitar god. At one point he played this really neat little motif, hit a couple of chunky notes and then plunged everyone into this massive bath of fuzzy distortion which totally enveloped you. I saw loads of people smiling at that point and I smiled too.

This show way way exceeded my expectations. I can't recommend these guys enough. And a huge thumbs up to them for coming on 5 minutes early and going off 15 minutes after they were meant to stop. I also found myself sitting next to Brudenell main man Nath Clark before the show - never met him before - and had a great chat with the guy. Lovely chap and it was a privilege to natter with one of the most important characters on the live music scene in the UK. Long may he continue to provide such enjoyable nights.
I saw them support Wooden Shjips in London on Tuesday night and they were fantastic. For the first time in a very long while I stood at the barrier down the front for the whole evening and it was a joy not to have my view obstructed by mobile phones, tall people, drunk people stumbling, all the usual things that can distract you at gigs. My first proper London gig with the new lady in my life too so it made it all pretty special. The crowd anticipation and reaction to Follakzoid was like they were the headliners. I've not seen them before, only heard the Follakzoid II album, which I love. Even better live! Seriously cosmic and tribal sounding and it had me bopping about for the duration. It may sound cheesy but it reminded me of a rave type atmosphere (not the happy hardcore kind!) which I think they fed on because the before and after music was 4/4 dance stuff. Visuals were excellent. All consuming with the sound and groove. After each song I kept turning to the lady and saying "WOW", she loved them too, and we both preferred them to Wooden Shjips come the end of the night. The only downside was that they had zero merchandise on sale, no music, no tee's, bit weird. Glad you loved them too Mark. I can't wait to see them do another show. I got chatting to a guy behind me when my lady went to get drinks and he had the same 'WOW' reaction as me to the band. He was there with his young fresh faced son, his first ever gig. What a night he'll remember!

Wooden Shjips were great, don't get me wrong. I've seen them a lot of times now so maybe it was the 'new' of Follakzoid that won the night for me. The Shjips got a fantastic crowd reaction too, loads of stomping at the end for the encore, whoops and yeahs during songs, really good crowd. Some of their songs did pass me by in a kind of "heard it better before" kind of way but others hit the sweet spot like they should. As always I never remember what songs they played, they're just Shjips songs aren't they, which is great. Pretty much the same set and light show as when I saw them at the Scala last autumn. The fuzzy static projected over them and all around, very effective. Ripley isn't the tallest of people so being right at the front meant that I could finally see him at work on stage, very impressive. The bass seemed a bit low for me, drumming was spot on as always.

Amen Dunes were the first band on. Never heard them before except for a play of the new album Love via youtube. I really enjoyed them and they got a lovely reception too. No piano like on the new album, just a 3 piece, but they really transported me during some of the songs, which is always a great sign that the music is doing it's thing. I bought their album afterwards and had a chat with the main man at the same time. Seems a nice dude and very appreciative of the good words about the gig and their music.

So, amazing line up and night. Follakzoid won the cup. My ears got the wooden spoon.

(I really should invest in some earplugs - any tips on that for another thread?)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

johnnyboy wrote: tall people
OI! i cant help my height!!! not without expensive surgery!! :P
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

spunder wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: tall people
OI! i cant help my height!!! not without expensive surgery!! :P
Sorry dude! It's a gripe of mine when you get a good spot at a gig only to feel that familiar push and shove behind as someone tries to squeeze past into the tiny space in front of you and then you groan when you realize you now have a view of some shoulders and a head. Happens too many times for me not to mention it.

(disclaimer - I'm not a short arse)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:
runcible wrote:the guitarist (wearing a Ladies and Gentlemen t-shirt) is worth singling out.
That's gotta be a good omen...

Sounds like an awesome show - and I understand the ticket price was pleasing also? :wink:
I was wearing my Highest Show shirt - which Nath complemented me on - so a 'great minds think alike' moment with me and the Follakzoid dude!

Yes. SIX POUNDS for my ticket - AND NO BOOKING FEE! Must be the first time that's happened. Best value ticket for some time!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Follakzoid were definitely one of my highlights of last November's ATP too. I am a total sucker for guitary, heavy krautrock and they nailed it perfectly. got me bopping.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I know a few people in Manchester tried to book Follakzoid, but for one reason it didn't happen. Hopefully some time soon though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Electric Moon at the Roadhouse in Manchester last night.

Man that was heavy. For a 3 piece Germany's Electric Moon make more noise than I would have believed possible, but guitarist Dave Schmidt is an expert with effects so his assault of massively thick fuzz and distortion was all enveloping. Bassis Komet Lulu laid down throbbing rhythms that sat comfortably with a thunking drum pattern. The drummer looked familiar - might have seen him drumming for Om many years ago? No idea what any of the set of half a dozen instrumentals were, but their back catalogue of 10 or so albums provides an extensive selection to draw from. The somewhat simple approach of taking a beefy rhythm and building it into a whirling ball of pulsating psychedelic sound was extremely effective - every track headed towards similar areas of sumptuous sonic overload. Like the heavier jams of Bardo Pond and The Heads. Seriously. Masses of phaser and wah-wah - 2 of my absolute favourite guitar effects. It was crushing at times yet it took no effort at all to get lost in the blazing overlapping trails Dave and his chums delivered. There were moments I could feel it pushing at my face such was the force involved and at one point - when all the planets of sound were in line - I could actually feel the sound prickling my face like a series of tiny spikes. That takes some serious delivery.

The last track ploughed into Electric Wizard areas of heaviness as the trio circled this semi-krautrock rhythm, all the while adding further layers of madness to it. Sunray, Laz, Olan, Purespace - I thought of you guys as I stood there in the rolling wave of power. I've rarely known musicians go for full on sonic oblivion like that - something I crave for these days - but I got more than my fair share last night. Again my grumble was the short set. At 50 minutes that's shorter than Electric Moon's epic 'Inferno' masterpiece, a snappy 52 minute track. But this wasn't the band's fault as the 3 of them were on stage looking ready to hit a tasty encore but they explained that - at ten o fucking clock - that was the end as they'd been told to stop. A negative for the venue which, for such a small place, somehow harnessed the astonishing power so it all sounded really good. I just wish we could have had another 30 minutes - or an hour if I'd had my way.

I've waited a couple of years to see Electric Moon and they easily lived up to my expectations. If you enjoy total fuzz annihilation I can't recommend them enough.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

^^^ Sounds amazing. Another in the long list of psych bands who seem destined never to play Ireland. :mrgreen:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:Electric Moon at the Roadhouse in Manchester last night.

Man that was heavy. For a 3 piece Germany's Electric Moon make more noise than I would have believed possible, but guitarist Dave Schmidt is an expert with effects so his assault of massively thick fuzz and distortion was all enveloping. Bassis Komet Lulu laid down throbbing rhythms that sat comfortably with a thunking drum pattern. The drummer looked familiar - might have seen him drumming for Om many years ago? No idea what any of the set of half a dozen instrumentals were, but their back catalogue of 10 or so albums provides an extensive selection to draw from. The somewhat simple approach of taking a beefy rhythm and building it into a whirling ball of pulsating psychedelic sound was extremely effective - every track headed towards similar areas of sumptuous sonic overload. Like the heavier jams of Bardo Pond and The Heads. Seriously. Masses of phaser and wah-wah - 2 of my absolute favourite guitar effects. It was crushing at times yet it took no effort at all to get lost in the blazing overlapping trails Dave and his chums delivered. There were moments I could feel it pushing at my face such was the force involved and at one point - when all the planets of sound were in line - I could actually feel the sound prickling my face like a series of tiny spikes. That takes some serious delivery.

The last track ploughed into Electric Wizard areas of heaviness as the trio circled this semi-krautrock rhythm, all the while adding further layers of madness to it. Sunray, Laz, Olan, Purespace - I thought of you guys as I stood there in the rolling wave of power. I've rarely known musicians go for full on sonic oblivion like that - something I crave for these days - but I got more than my fair share last night. Again my grumble was the short set. At 50 minutes that's shorter than Electric Moon's epic 'Inferno' masterpiece, a snappy 52 minute track. But this wasn't the band's fault as the 3 of them were on stage looking ready to hit a tasty encore but they explained that - at ten o fucking clock - that was the end as they'd been told to stop. A negative for the venue which, for such a small place, somehow harnessed the astonishing power so it all sounded really good. I just wish we could have had another 30 minutes - or an hour if I'd had my way.

I've waited a couple of years to see Electric Moon and they easily lived up to my expectations. If you enjoy total fuzz annihilation I can't recommend them enough.
*Cough* Didn't know this was on. *Cough* :evil:

To be fair I'm not familiar with Electric Moon. I have been giving Pohl and Pohlsmoker a real thrashing at insane volume levels (new amp to play with and speakers I don't care about) so this gig could have been just my street really.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Bob Mould solo in Harrisburg, PA.

wow. he plowed through Sugar, Hüsker Dü, and his own solo songs, with very little talking.

afterwards he signed stuff and met us.

me (in Hairway to Steven shirt), Bob Mould, friend Steve
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just saw Guided By Voices two nights in a row and I would highly recommend seeing them if you get a chance. They clearly have a lot of fun on stage and they get ripped throughout the concert. There's a fucking ice chest in the center of the stage. Robert Pollard is a total drunk, but I'll be damned if his voice isn't perfect.

They also played around 40 songs each night...AND although they were the same 40 songs both nights, they were in a different order. Being someone who has seen consecutive Spiritualized shows (longest streak was 6) with the setlist never changing between shows, it felt like a present.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:*Cough* Didn't know this was on. *Cough* :evil:

To be fair I'm not familiar with Electric Moon. I have been giving Pohl and Pohlsmoker a real thrashing at insane volume levels (new amp to play with and speakers I don't care about) so this gig could have been just my street really.
Sorry Olan - I should have primed you. :(

Electric Moon's material sounds kind of similar no matter which album you listen to. But I love that kind of music so much that it doesn't matter.

Most tracks are long wig outs. This is the legendary 52 minute Inferno. Builds into a climax then deconstructs. Then repeats etc.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I met Bob Mould once when he played with my buddies in RGC at the Bloomsbury Ballroom, he was a really nice guy. Decent live, never been a huge fan but I enjoyed it a lot.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:I met Bob Mould once when he played with my buddies in RGC at the Bloomsbury Ballroom, he was a really nice guy. Decent live, never been a huge fan but I enjoyed it a lot.
I did lights at a Bob Mould gig at Reading Uni in 1991/1992. He was touring the material on the last solo record before Sugar started. The Students Union had sold about 4 tickets before the gig and were sh*tting themselves about taking a huge hit, but the gig sold out on the door (unheard of at the time). I had expected some hard-to-deal with nutter, but he was a real sweetheart. He was horrified to hear that we were on £10 and a pizza for the gig and brought the entire crew back stage and had us drink most of the beer in the dressing room pre-gig in lieu of a proper wage.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Love stories like this.
It is human nature to say what assholes some of these artists are.
Makes for better stories i suppose.
Not always the case.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

toomilk wrote:I just saw Guided By Voices
thanks for posting this, toomilk.
I saw them once about ten years ago, and I'm only familiar with 1 1/2 of their albums..
but yah, today getting my GBV fix, it's been a while, and indeed do they know how to put on a show!
enough to make one think about quitting the drink oneself.. or not..
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:Love stories like this.
It is human nature to say what assholes some of these artists are.
Makes for better stories i suppose.
Not always the case.
I've had enough disappointment meeting artists who behave like twats, so usually I don't bother as I find the twattish behaviour affect my enjoyment of the music subsequently. This despite the fact that two of the other lads from the 1990-1994 Reading Crew run a very serious stage lighting firm and can get me backstage to all sorts of things.

Trust the art and not the artist....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:Electric Moon at the Roadhouse in Manchester last night.

Sounds like everything I imagine they would sound like. Videos ive watched recently show how effortlessly they just build and build until they just run over you like some sort of juggernaut. Amazing to watch. Very jealous Mark! Im hoping to have an interview with Dave in the next Optical Sounds issue so might be worth a read assuming ive not questioned him to death!l
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very strange gig last Friday night- New Bums at Stretton on Fosse Village Hall.
this is the new project of Ben 'Six Organs' Chasny. a much more traditional and song based duo. the venue was absolutely tiny, apparently the band wanted to play out of the way places and this fit that bill to a tee. the audience seemed mainly like locals who just wandered in to see some music- I would be willing to bet I was the only person in the room who owned a Six Organs album.
the first support act was a local, and very traditional, folk band. mandolin, bloke hitting a box for percussion etc. they were tight enough but every song sounded the same to me.
next support act was a solo folk singer- his name escapes me but he was okay. some of his songs sounded a bit Six Organs (which he admitted).. apparently he was big part of setting this tour up, the guys are driving round the country together.

finally New Bums took to the stage, to my delight Ben was actually on electric, not acoustic. he was hardly wailing away but was adding some crisp and clean lines and some slide.. the songs were pretty nicely constructed too- doesn't seem like some throwaway side project. as a bonus he played one Six Organs song (Words For Two).
all in all a nice relaxing way to spend a Friday night but a strange venue for sure!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

saw swans last night. it was every bit as great as i was hoping it would be. michael gira told the venue he'd stop the show if they didn't turn off the a/c. it wasn't as loud as i thought it was going to be- i brought earplugs just in case, but didn't end up using them for most of the night. they did come in handy during xiu xiu's opening set, though (which was just a 30-minute long improvised noise performance that seemed designed to cause distress and discomfort- i've seen people pull off the same thing with better results at a lot of experimental music shows over the years).

they're playing again tonight at lincoln hall, but i have to work late.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs wrote: New Bums... Ben Chasny ... folk singer... some crisp and clean lines and some slide... Words For Two
... nice relaxing ...
Sounds fabulous, angelsighs!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Dandy Warhols-Manchester Ritz

I have seen the dandies about 10 times now, never fail to impress, their first 3 albums are solid gold, but after that its been a bit hit and miss, but they have an aura of coolness personified on stage and they now how to work a crowd without trying.
The Ritz wasnt full but well attended and the venue is another one of those that seems to oversell itself, so I was pleased to see the lack of Sold Out signs and tickets changing hands outside for less than a tenner.
The band played a great mix of old and new and in some cases unheard, fave cuts for me was the always psychtastic 'Ride' from the first album and the opener 'Mohammad'. The band themselves seem to never age and look like a band more than any other, effortlessly cool, ego a plenty from Courtney and Zia, well I fell in love with her again for the umpteenth time.
The band dont break any new ground, but they do what they do with such zest and vigour and no liitle fuzz and noise that its always a recipe for afine night.
Set list for those interested is on setlist.fm which i uploaded yesterday.
Top night as my regular gig attending goes into its last 7-8 months before another new arrival to the Aquarian Clan !!!
:shock:
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

^ the irony...!

Brian Jonestown Massacre nottingham last night.

excellent...a good almost 2 hour set. in some ways a safe bet really, they are a kind of greatest hits package, but they played 'anemone' and 'got my eye on you'....also 3 tracks off Revelation... great, almost euphoric vibe.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Just been to Hyde park , strange lineup but i was only there for Spiritualized. Usual thing up front, lots of kids not really
interested in the band, yapping away. Anyway a great set , climaxing for me at Shine a Light. New faces in the band. Here's looking forward to a tour here.
Attachments
20140705_172731-1.jpg
20140705_172731-1.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 29267 times
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Black Market Karma } Tess Parks (Green Door Store) . Went to this gig on the back of Buying Tess Parks }Blood Hot. Tess put on a solo performance of the 2013 album. Great voice. Look forward to seeing her with the band soon.
Was really impressed with Black Market Karma, having not heard any of their stuff before . Will definately be looking out for these guys again. Great pre gig music from DJ Supersonic, to get you in the mood. Great night.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Neil Young was excellent in Hyde Park yesterday. Fantastic versions of Love and Only Love and Love to Burn off of Ragged Glory and great to hear Going Home, probably the only decent song on Are You Passionate. Also a joy to hear Down By The River as the second encore (the first encore was a new song, Who's Going to Stand Up and Save The World).

Full set list here:-

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-youn ... 1d188.html

The National were ideal support to Young and they put on a great show. But why, oh why weren't Spiritualized added to this day rather than the day with Libertines, etc. where they seemed to sink without a trace. A really woeful decision by the "management" team. I think the Young fanbase would have lapped up a set by the Spaceman.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just saw Nick Cave at the Ace Theater in LA (same venue Spz did their last two LAGWAFIS shows). Fucking incredible. It's hands down my new favorite venue in Southern California. So beautiful and sound has always been perfect. Nick Cave wasn't bad either! 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Tame Impala- Birmingham Institute

my first time seeing these guys, have been wanting to for a long time so was really psyched for it. really enjoy their records (especially the first album).
I have heard bad things about this band live form- a couple of years ago people said they were dull, muddy etc. well they really seem to have pulled their socks up, I thought it was a cracking show. he's not the most charismatic frontman but a lot of it was helped by some well equipped psych visuals and very decent sound.
they managed to recreate all the textures of those wonderful records- fantastic clattering drumming, squelching guitars and those melodic basslines. a lot of tunes had false endings, or little jams at the end.

the things that shocked me were a) how young the crowd were, lots of skinny jeanned teenagers present and b) how well they went down, there was a moshpit and crowdsurfing. not sure if that was unique to this date. it felt almost like a rave at times! definitely feel the band are on the cusp of a serious mainstream breakthrough, and good luck to them.

I still think their earlier stuff is best. Solitude Is Bliss was fantastic, Half Full Glass of Wine a full on krautrock jam, and Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind was covered in oodles of guitar delay.
still think Elephant is pants but as the 'big single' it really got the crowd going!
in an ideal world his voice also would have been higher in the mix but overall a fine set.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah, I also sampled the Tame Impala live experience at The Albert Hall in Manchester. Agree regarding the crowd, they were young and basically went absolutely nuts, not seen scenes like that for a while (getting old clearly). The sound was a bit muddy in places and I will be honest I had enough by the end of the main set so skipped the encore, venue was too hot and I found the gig a bit boring. The songs angelsighs mentions being stand outs, couldnt agree more plus set close Apolcolypse Dreams, That was a fine version.
I think a band I will happily open a bottle of red and kick back at home to in future though !

Prior to that I was at The Ritz in manchester on Thursday for BJM and quite frankly they were absultely superb, really nailed it and the crowd (also some youngsters here) were loving it. Set was really interesting, all albums covered and the new stuff sits well. They played for nigh on two hours. Played about 28 tunes, cant grumble for £15. Anton stone cold sober is the way forward, he was sharp, concise, in tune and his guitar playing required no help from his sidekicks ( I have seen him turned off out front before as he was once too pissed to play !) Top night

Tonight a far more Psych affair as Cosmic Dead are in town and Im having a slice of that...report to follow
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

/\

Saw BJM in Liverpool on Saturday. They attract a proper euphoric crowd - sometimes borders on pissheaded wankerdom - but perfect stuff on the weekend.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Went to see The Cosmic Dead in Manchester on Tuesday.

The show was really great but I gotta say it was unreasonably loud. There was no need for how loud it was, and my right ear might've finally packed in. At 26, I think it should have a few more years in it though. Very unusual at the moment though, will see how it goes over the next few days.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Cosmic Dead in Glasgow last night for the end of tour free show... and they played like nothing else! It was INSANELY LOUD but not in a inaudible way... evey throb the of Omar's bass, every crash of Julian's drums and every wail of James' guitar was audible and perfectly placed amongst the hurricane of noise.

Came on about 11:45pm and played for about 90mins or so. Maybe 5-6 songs tops, but every one of them was just incredible to witness. The small venue (Bar Bloc) was rammed full with the band set up almost on top of each other and the audience almost on top of them! They seemed to really feed off the energy of the crowd which seemed to push them further and further into the music. I spoke to James afterwards and jokingly suggested they had just been rehearsing for the last 7 weeks as the show tonight was a whole other level, to which he jokingly agreed. He said he had sensed there was something different about it, whether its was just the final night or the fact that the could finally have a (short) rest after this final show, but that they really went for it as much as they could.

I hold them in very high regard and think they are possible the best at what they do. I can't think of a better drummer or bass player that work so telepathically together or who produce such a relentless ferocity at times that i'm fully expecting them to just burst into flames! They both allow James and Lewis to just have free reign over their parts (guitar and synths respectively) allowing the music to just take off.

Amazing band, great guys and a superb night all round (even though i was off the booze!)
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Four hour set by Jerry Dammers Spatial AKA orchestra at the Barbican on Friday night.

Mix of reggae, ska and Sun Ra numbers and featuring at times, Neville Staple and Rico. Great set on a really hot night and band playing Space is the Place in the foyer as we were leaving (at quarter to fucking midnight). I have loved all shows by ex and current Specials over the last few years and this didn’t disappoint. Still wish Jerry Dammers would tour with the reformed Specials though.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

just got home from seeing slowdive at pitchfork-

it was, somehow, better than i was expecting. it sounded absolutely fantastic- it was surprisingly loud and clear for an outdoor festival. it was more emotional than i was expecting- i got teary during 'when the sun hits' in particular. normally sunday is the hottest day at pitchfork, but this year the weather was really nice- at one point there was a really nice breeze blowing through the park. the crowd was really into it, the vibe was really positive and it was really great! i'm really glad i went as the rest of the lineup was kind of weak and i'm one of those people who has a laundry list of complaints about festivals in general- it was a case where being proven wrong was a good thing.

buying tickets in a few days to see them at the vic in october (it's very reasonably priced) with low (such a bonus!) and i'm so excited about it!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Slowdive totally blew my mind. I wasn't expecting the rhythm section to be so muscular. Their drummer is a seriously heavy hitter. The dynamics were killer. When they got loud it was fucking LOUD. I liked the way they translated the ambient Pygmalion songs into a full band experience. I highly recommend that any one who has an opportunity to see them definitely do so. You won't be disappointed. I already have a ticket for the October Chicago show.

As for Pitchfork, there seemed to be a lot of grumbling about it online. It's too corporate now or whatever. Who gives a shit? I saw two great bands (the other being Dum Dum Girls, who I thought were great, but certainly not of Slowdive's caliber), enjoyed the sun, drank good, one-off Goose Island beers (very short lines for beer!) and had absolutely no problem getting to and from the park. Seems to me that the event ran very smoothly. No complaints.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Took part in the Latitude experience at the weekend.Great weekend with special performances from Teeth of the Sea, Mogwai,Agnes Obel,Phosphorescent,Archi Bronson Outfit,Eagulls,Tame Impala. Slowdive were wonderful, the sound in the Radio 6 big top that night was Epic.Band of the festival for me were Goat. My first viewing and they seem to be the sort of band that have the rhythm and beat that is a real challenge not to move to ( or was that the Hobgoblin ! ) . Can't wait to see them again in october .
The in your face,abusive,agressive,deranged and naked medal goes to The Fat White Family, although this performance was mild compared to some gig reports from this band. I really enjoyed this lot, and i know its all been done before , but who gives a shit.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

WITCH last night.
really all I can say is FUCK YEAH.
:twisted:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Chills at the Brudenell.

Having loved these Kiwi popniks the first time round I was vaguely apprehensive as to how they would cut it this time. Those doubts evaporated within seconds of opening track 'Night Of Chill Blue' beginning. It was this Chills song that first captivated me well over 25 years ago and as it steadily opened up I felt my eyes well up and a lump in my throat appear. By the end I was rooted to the spot, my emotional response was overwhelming. That's a very rare thing to experience. I'd challenge pretty much any fan of music to dislike that song - it's just so beautiful and I savoured it's sublime quality last night.

And on the set went with a few new songs mixed in with the gem-encrusted oldies I have loved for so long. So glories like 'Leather Jacket', 'Doldrums', 'House With A Hundred Rooms', 'Heavenly Pop Hit' and 'Wet Blanket' were all reeled out in brilliant fashion. Only Martin Phillipps remains of the original line up, but then he was always chief Chill, songwriter, singer and guitarist. He has one of the most distinctive voices I know and is a massively underrated singer - his voice sounded as great as it ever did last night. Best of all was a magnificent krautrock reworking of the classic 'Pink Frost', which motirk'd along beautifully. Martin paid tribute to Neu, Can and others and told us just how influential that movement was to the bands in Dunedin in the 80s, something I never knew.

Hats off to the merry throng at the hot and sticky Brudenell who sang along joyously to every song, beaming from ear to ear. It was a vibrant atmosphere in there and you couldn't help smiling too. Good atmosphere and banter on stage too with the band winking and laughing among themselves.

If you are old enough to have loved this band I can't recommend stirring those old memories up if you get a chance. I love these guys more than ever...
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

The Jesus and Mary Chain at Vicar Street Dublin last night.

Very edgy performance ... some false starts .. guitars occasionally out of tune and plenty of very obvious tension between the Reid brothers. But when the got it right absolute perfection for most of the night.

They played pretty much a greatest hit singes set for the main show then played most of side one of Psychocandy as an encore. Worth the price of admission alone to stand 15 ft directly in front of William Reid's amp for Never understand. Sublime noise bliss.

Also very briefly in the chaos met someone in a black Spiritualized highest show on earth t-shirt ... possibly some from this board ? ?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

evan:) wrote: Also very briefly in the chaos met someone in a black Spiritualized highest show on earth t-shirt ... possibly some from this board ? ?
Yep, that was me. Had a feeling it was you Evan as i knew it definitely wasn't Broc.

As for the gig? Well I definitely had a different experience to you as i didn't think they hit perfection at any point during the night. False starts, arguments, equipment breakdowns and a generally ordinary performance all contributed to a fairly flat experience for me. It wasn't bad but it didn't excite me either.
In A Hole was good as William finally made use of his pedals for the first time in seven years, but overall it just didn't hit the mark.

Now that William has rediscovered noise perhaps he'd make use of a volume knob too as it was far too quiet. That was also the opinion of my non-damaged hearing mates too!
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

sunray wrote:
evan:) wrote: Also very briefly in the chaos met someone in a black Spiritualized highest show on earth t-shirt ... possibly some from this board ? ?
Yep, that was me. Had a feeling it was you Evan as i knew it definitely wasn't Broc.

As for the gig? Well I definitely had a different experience to you as i didn't think they hit perfection at any point during the night. False starts, arguments, equipment breakdowns and a generally ordinary performance all contributed to a fairly flat experience for me. It wasn't bad but it didn't excite me either.
In A Hole was good as William finally made use of his pedals for the first time in seven years, but overall it just didn't hit the mark.

Now that William has rediscovered noise perhaps he'd make use of a volume knob too as it was far too quiet. That was also the opinion of my non-damaged hearing mates too!
Thought it might be yourself not many people with those t-shirts in Ireland ... was on a mission to the bar before the encore so no time to chat.

Had very low expectations so was easily impressed also was with a friend and she was ecstatic as she loves their 90's stuff. We were right up the front the whole time and the sound was alright but should have been a lot louder. a lot louder...

funny review here about heath + safety ... middle aged noise bands etc ... good photos too ...

http://mememe2u.wordpress.com/2014/08/0 ... t-31-july/

anyone attending the Psychocandy shows in November ... hope they practice + get it together a bit better and the band actually stays together.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

evan:) wrote:Had very low expectations so was easily impressed..

anyone attending the Psychocandy shows in November ... hope they practice + get it together a bit better and the band actually stays together.
I too had very low expectations and they were met, but that's about it. Bit of an improvement on 2007 but nowhere near the quality of their gigs first time around.

I echo those sentiments about Psychocandy. Not sure I can see them finishing a whole tour next year.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

have the mary chain ever been good live? i've never seen them. had the live album that they did but that was mostly latter stuff (blues from a gun etc) as for the early stuff i can't imagine it live working...please put me wrong!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Flaherty / Corsano the other night.
Music moved through the room like an electrical storm.
It's so raw, so pure, and so personal.
Still running on its magic sparkling power.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

The Dr wrote:have the mary chain ever been good live? i've never seen them. had the live album that they did but that was mostly latter stuff (blues from a gun etc) as for the early stuff i can't imagine it live working...please put me wrong!
Have to say that the Roller Coaster and Automatic tours in Detroit had me on the floor. Intense precise rock and roll and fucking proper loud. The strobes had me puking at the end of the night. Roller Coaster was my first intro to Spz 8)
I think I feel it coming on
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was very fortunate to catch the Cosmic Dead in Brighton on Saturday night...second time I've seen them down here in the last few months. They were in between gigs and a slot just happened to come up in Brighton. I was already going to a gig across the road from where they were playing so managed to run over and catch their amazing set for the ridiculous price of £3!!! :shock: These guys are just incredible live, please go and see them if you ever get the chance.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Saw The Clean last night in Detroit at Trinsophes. Love that Flying Nun stuff. Quite the power trio. Now if someone coulod talk The Chills into touring over here.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

What did you think Alan?

I was at the clean. I left after 2 1/2 songs. I never leave shows early due to sound. the vocals suffered from shoddy sound and music was uninspiring imo. I don't understand the sound issues since the warm-up band sounded good.

Apparently the chicago gig was a kind of a disaster, according to another forum. David being aloof among other things. Apparently he acted strange on their last US tour in 07

I was excited to see them too. Bummer.

Later, after the show, i ran into a local musician at another venue, who I saw at the show. He said he loved it. I asked him about the vocals sound and he said he didnt know as he was mesmerized by the drumming. Funny.
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I really enjoyed it. I got exactly what I expected. The Clean lend themselves to a kind of loose, dirty pop. I didn't stay for the whole show but saw at least an hour of it. I didn't notice the issue with the vocals either. Maybe the sound guy got it sorted out after a few songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pink Mountaintops at Leeds Brudenell Social Club.

Talk about miscalculating a gig. I thought I'd get a decent show but I'm less into the new 'Get Back' album than the previous stuff so wasn't sure how good it would be. But they were amazing from start to finish. Opening track 'Leslie' was heart-melting in both its beauty but also the intense yet controlled power the band produced. The set built from there and every single track was fantastic. I knew a few songs but the set was mostly from 'Get Back' and the songs sounded totally different from how I remembered them and all sounded terrific. I will be revisiting that album today for sure. The thing that took me by surprise was just how punk the band were - at times there was a real Sex Pistols vibe with the guitars and rhythms following the same track so you got a mile wide thick sound of throbbing fuzz and distortion which was beautifully controlled. Stephen McBean even managed some punky sneery vocals at times. So new songs like 'Sixteen' were incredible intense - blistering powerhouses full of massive guitar sound. So often guitars are too quiet but last night - with the combination of the bands monitors turned up loud and the Brudenell's awesome sound system - they absolutely blew me to bits. Stephen McBean's guitar sound - dare I say it - was about as good as any guitarist I have ever heard. At times the noises he produced were ridiculous - a gigantic, ferocious, buzzing thing that threatened to lose itself yet never did. But the whole band just gelled perfectly as a tight and massively powerful unit. The inclusion of the 2 mellow songs 'While We Were Dreaming' and 'Vampire' brought Mrs. Runcible to the verge of tears they were so good. Sadly not that many people in attendance but still a nice vibe in the place and the band looked like they were enjoying it too.

I love it when a band just charges past your expectations and blows your head off. That might be the best show I've seen this year. Can't wait for Black Mountain to come to town.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Just back from End of The road Festival set in the beautiful Larmer Tree Gardens.

Cracking weekend, quite an eclectic mix of acts, ranging from Folk, Blues, Indie, Psych all sorts really. Best acts of the weekend as follows;
John Grant- After going through a painful 5 songs of Flaming Lips and their all showy style no actual ability performance, it was over to the beautiful Garden Stage. John Grant has an lovely voice, plays with a band that deliver passion and quality in equal measure and some of the power the songs were delivered with was truly astonishing. I am certainly going to investigate further.
The Horrors- Fair play these guys have a fine pop/indie/shoegazey sound that borrows from many but sounds strangely unique to these ears. A sulky start turned into a jubilant ending as the band warmed to these indie upstarts and the band/fans trade off reached fever pitch. Nice mix of the last 3 albums, all songs sitting comfortably with each other
Stephen malkmus- Not much to say realy, similar to Pavement but slightly more refined and less edgy, still a fine frontman, lyrically hilarious and no slouch on guitar either.
Gene Clark-No other band. This was unreal. taking Gene Clark's often overlooked (until now) seventies album and replicating it note for note is no mean feat, Robin from fleet foxes, Daniel from Grizzly Bear, dude from Fairpirt Convention, complete with full band played a blinder. i dont own this album, this will soon be rectified.
White Denim- As usual, great fun and great playing from these virtuosos, tremendous energy, mixing jazz, indie, rock, bits of pysch. The crowd often applauded at the end of a jazzy instrumental such was the complexity of what was being played. One of my fave live bands if Im honest.
Woods- Decent set and first time seeing these, Bend beyond was the highlight, going off on an almost Crazy Horse style instrumental passage. New stuff sounded good, vocals a bit annoying similar to Jonathon from Mercury Rev, but the playing was excellent.
Other acts watched and enjoyed were Richard Thompson (safe to say he can handle a guitar), Felice Brothers, Tides Of Man (explosiuons in the sky/mogwai type band), Arc Iris (Josie formerly of Low anthem doing Kate Bush pretty much), Yo La tengo (another fave band of mine, two sets, one the freewheeling thing they do on a tiny stage and main set on main stage), Black Lips (doing what the thee oh sees do, but not as good) Unfortunately missed Pink Mountaintops as they were in the programme as Sunday, but turned out they played Friday....arse
Food was superb, real ales a plenty (over 40 on over the weekend), weather stayed fine, sunday was glorious. Just a superb weekend really. Reccomended
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: I love it when a band just charges past your expectations and blows your head off. That might be the best show I've seen this year. Can't wait for Black Mountain to come to town.
Have you seen Black Mountain before? They're not that exciting really. I would expect more from a PM gig than a BM one.

@Aquarian-Time: We also had The Horrors, White Denim and Steve Malkmus at the Electric Picnic festival this weekend.
White Denim made a whole new bunch of fans as I was with a group of people who had never heard of them and all were blown away by what they witnessed.
The Horrors - Have caught them live a few times and this was easily the best performance i've ever seen from them (I'm not a big fan but I tend to check 'em out if the opportunity arises).
Other highlights were Portishead, who proved that they can easily work a festival main stage. Superb sound and visuals.
Slowdive - Had to leave Mogwai after 30 mins to go and see Slowdive which was gut wrenching as Mogwai really appeared to be on form but was i ever going to get the chance to see Slowdive again? Not a gamble i was prepared to take. Three of the band were wearing Mogwai t-shirts :lol: Pretty impressive, for some reason I didn't expect them to be as noisy as they were. Both bands played to a smaller crowd than they normally could have expected though.

Probably the biggest buzz for me was Julian Cope in conversation with his publisher, discussing 131 and other stuff. My other half thought it was a joke when this hairy biker walked out, she had no idea that's what he looked like :lol: He did a booksigning afterwards so i bought a copy, got it signed and had a brief natter with the great man. Could have chatted for hours but i was aware of other people in the queue so had to move along.
Decent weekend as usual but i feel the hunger for more money on Festival Republic's part could see the capacity increase again and kill it off.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
runcible wrote: I love it when a band just charges past your expectations and blows your head off. That might be the best show I've seen this year. Can't wait for Black Mountain to come to town.
Have you seen Black Mountain before? They're not that exciting really. I would expect more from a PM gig than a BM one.
I haven't, no. But I'd go on the strength of last night.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

All this praise for Pink Mountaintops is great and all that but I'm a bit gutted as could have seen them in Brighton tonight but can't go as Mrs Shines has got a bloody pilates class :roll: :twisted:

Good to see there's still a lot of love for End of the Road festival. Mrs Shines and I went 3 years ago when Mogwai headlined and it was probably the best festival experience I've had.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I went to see The Cosmic Dead play in Liverpool last night, having not seen them play live before. The venue was packed for the first two bands, but emptied prior to the headline set (being short-arsed this meant I could see what was happening) which didn't do much for the atmosphere. I really enjoyed the gig, but that is unsurprising as The Cosmic Dead are currently big favourites of mine.

I have to say that they really surprised me with the physicality of their performance. I thought James T and Omar were set to clash heads as the stage at Mello Mello is very, very small and was absolutely covered in effects pedals so there was no room for error. Not to be outdone, their drummer cut a chunk out of himself so a sub was found who did a tremendous job as a stand-in. The improvised drone that the three others played while a new drummer was found was superb.

The gig finished with a massive droning jam that ended with guitars hanging out of the roof of the stage and the lighting rig (such as it was) being partially dismantled and waved around as the jam shuddered to a halt. I'll look forward to seeing them play again.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Last Saturday, the East End Social held an event where I managed to see The Wedding Present, James Holden, Fuck Buttons and Mogwai. It was in a large tent in a field in a lesser known corner off the empires second city, as a 1st attempt at a bigger event.. well they fucked up the food and drink situ. queues that lasted the length of Twilight Sads set for a drink? not good, but the weather and fellow gig goer`s made for a good day,

James Holden was superb , I won`t say he performed The Inheritors, he might have played most of it but no Blackpool Late Eighties, for me was a black mark, the live drummer was fantastic,

Fuck Buttons, missed the start in a food queue I had already put 25 mins. into, but the 1\2 hour I did see, thumping selections from the recent Slow Motion album, a lot of thought put into the visuals - for 2dudes that just stand pressing and turning buttons and dials this really should be a given - and the way they build tension, then release it really is something, not your normal, run off the mill, wait for the drop, go mental pish, they can spend 10 mins. slowly building, sucking you in, before unleashing a storm, cursing the organisers for making me miss the start,

Mogwai, must admit by the time they started, I was a bit pissed, not totally, but I had a good day, started with an amazing version of White Noise, followed by Re-Murdered, then ... ... they sounded great , but no loud quiet stuff, until New Paths To Helicon in the encore, which as my fav. Mogwai tune was amazing 8)

Thursday night, Moon Duo, Edinburgh, The Caves , not exactly a cave, apparently hundreds off underground tunnels/caverns under Edinburgh , but ti made for a hugely atmospheric setting for Moon Duo, who are basically a trio now, very confusing. The Live drummer, Jim something, is fucking astonishing, two maracas in one hand and leathering the shit out the kit with the other hand, plus a fantastic light show, 3rd and best time seeing Moon Duo.