What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

BROKENHEART
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by BROKENHEART »

Joan Armatrading at Shanklin Theatre.
I first saw Joan back in the mid seventies ( showing my age now ! ) , wonderful vocals and songs of love and sadness .
Joan played the new album for the first set and returned to play old favourites for the second set .
That second set took me back to an exact time and place in my life when life was a lot simpler , but personally sadder.
The songs sounded as good now as they did back then.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Brian Jonestown Massacre at The Concorde 2 Brighton.
You weren't always quite sure what to expect at a BJM gig as regards to Antons attitude on the night. I know there are a few on this forum who don't hold him or the band in great esteem.
I think times have changed, although it came close between numbers when still some idiots in the crowd decided to carry on baiting him . Anton and the band held it together tonight, even through a couple of false starts.
You know what you're going to get from a BJM gig , lots of driving, reverb guitars, sometimes mellow, sometimes turning into a cacophony of sound.
Really enjoyed the two hour show tonight.
Looking forward to seeing them in London later this month.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Mark lanegan @ Duke Garwood At RNCFM, Manchester

New album hadn't grabbed me so was little concerned when i learnt the set was split into 2 halves, 1st album and then second album straight through.
I need not have been so worried, as the finest voice in Rock and in tandem with of the most accomplished guitarists made for quite some evening. Two of Lanegan's touring band added various instrumentation as the sparseness of the set simply showed just how good the songs are, I would argue the second set was stringer than first, which has led me to alter my initial album review by quite some distance.
Not a sold out show but well attended in one of my favorite venues (getting old so do enjoy sitting down), front row seats no less as well ! As standard not a word other than odd "thank you" in between songs.
This guy is relentless with his releases and touring schedule, but quite frankly, who cares, keep it coming that's what I say
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Glasvegas - Brudenell in Leeds

Off the bloody scale, full house impeccably behaved and fantastic sound. At one point the crowd sang the whole of 'It's my own cheating heart that makes me cry' and James Allan just stopped singing and let it happen. He's had his demons and you could tell he was visibly moved. A truly emotional evening :D
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

King Kong Company - The Olympia, Dublin.

Biggest headline show to date for KKC and they sold out all 1300 tickets. Fifth time seeing them this year and this was the best of the lot. It was up there with last years gigs, which took them to another level entirely, whereas i thought they had just dipped slightly in 2018. Whole place was hopping to big, bouncy beats and they always put on a spectacle. Genuine love from audience to band and back again. It's just good time dance music that doesn't take itself too seriously.
One for the dancers or ex-dancers amongst us (I know there's a few of you out there :wink: ).

As they might say themselves "File under the Hedonist's choice" :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Brian Jonestown Massacre- Birmingham Academy 2

Surprisingly my first time seeing this band despite the fact they tour a fair amount. not a huge fan of them but keen to check them out.

A very healthy crowd, probably not far off sold out. It's quite impressive to see them have a good following in Birmingham (where ticket sales can be very hit and miss), especially for a band who never had a hit.

The set was good but didn't blow me away, the band are no frills really with clean guitars underpinned by some subtle keyboards. Most of the band seem to be new blood from what I can see, including one young fella who looked liked he wished he was in Spacemen 3 circa 1986! Joel is still there though- have to say, struggle to see the point of him. I think Bez contributes more on stage :/

The setlist was pretty much a 'best of', infact it was literally a lot of songs I recognised from the Peppermint Wonderland compilation which was released many years ago! do they change their setlists up that much?

One issue for me is that Anton's songs tend to lack dynamics. in fact a lot of his tunes tend to really just be a chord sequence that goes round and round. the two other guitarists were often just doubling up the same bar chords. There were only a couple of songs where they truly built up a head of steam and it got a bit noisy- those were some great moments.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Brian Jonestown Massacre @ Barrowlands last night, really good crowd for a Wednesday night, not far from sold out I would guess, quite a strange mix tbh from teens up to more than a fair few grizzly looking 70 yr olds I`m guessing - yeah I know, I`m no spring chicken but some of these guys looked like they`d just been dug up - and quite a boisterous element as well, a steady stream of ne`er do well`s being huckled out all night for whatever they had been up to, a good audience tbf.
Yeah they played the classics you would want, but they did do a few from the latest Something Else album and 3/4 new ones I think, band was on great form I thought, the 3 guitars making a a pretty thick reverb soup, the songs built on the simpler circling, ragged chord sequences had me thinking of Crazy Horse more than once, 2 hr set finished of with a heavy as new track, A- Song according to Setlist FM, surely a temp. title that had 9 people on stage that I counted, quick mention for Anotn`s Deerstalker disguise, took 2/3 mins of 1st track before I realized he was on stage :lol: All in a pretty good night out.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Tuning @ Gorilla, Manchester
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Three great gigs over the past week and a half:

CAVE : Hideout : Chicago - Good god. Blew the fucking roof off the place. First date of the tour and they sound like they've been on the road for a year. Unbelieveable. New album just came out, too.

Gruff Rhys : Chop Shop : Chicago - Amazing. I'm a superfan. Full band show. They played the entire new album and then a second set that included a number of favorites and only one SFA song (Colonise The Moon).

Beak> : Lincoln Hall : Chicago - Another mind bending gig. I had some reservations because there is material on the first two albums that I find somewhat plodding and dull. However, the new album is a big leap forward and they didn't disappoint. As a three piece, they sure can bring the noise. Highly recommended.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

BROKENHEART wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 pm Brian Jonestown Massacre at The Concorde 2 Brighton.
You weren't always quite sure what to expect at a BJM gig as regards to Antons attitude on the night. I know there are a few on this forum who don't hold him or the band in great esteem.
I think times have changed, although it came close between numbers when still some idiots in the crowd decided to carry on baiting him . Anton and the band held it together tonight, even through a couple of false starts.
You know what you're going to get from a BJM gig , lots of driving, reverb guitars, sometimes mellow, sometimes turning into a cacophony of sound.
Really enjoyed the two hour show tonight.
Looking forward to seeing them in London later this month.
BJM at Kentish Town Forum.
More of the same , but the sound was better for me. Whereas in Brighton I was stood a bit too close to a speaker stack , this gig in London I managed to get a spot behind the mixing desk mid venue.
The audience and evening felt a lot more chilled out. No baiting and a great interactive crowd . Love the band especially when they introduced a couple of extra guitarists for the last few numbers . Wig out and great wall of sound noise . Very enjoyable set from The Hanging Stars . Early country,folk stuff to set the evening off .
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever }
Portsmouth Wedgwood Rooms.
From Melbourne Australia
RBCF are what I would call a really lively indie band , with lots of jangling guitar sounds carrying a nice groove through their songs.
Nowadays some indie or so called indie bands can be a bit tamed, but these guys are a really hard working unit that give you your moneys worth.
Had to leave early because of travel commitments but would definitely recommend and go to see RBCF again.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 pm Three great gigs over the past week and a half:

CAVE : Hideout : Chicago - Good god. Blew the fucking roof off the place. First date of the tour and they sound like they've been on the road for a year. Unbelieveable. New album just came out, too.

Beak> : Lincoln Hall : Chicago - Another mind bending gig. I had some reservations because there is material on the first two albums that I find somewhat plodding and dull. However, the new album is a big leap forward and they didn't disappoint. As a three piece, they sure can bring the noise. Highly recommended.
Hoping Cave come over to the UK soon, love the new tracks so far.

Saw Beak> support Oh Sees in London last month or so and they were great, had a chat with them in the pub after and I like how they're really down to earth and funny guys.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The 5 in 6 odyssey finished on Monday. I can't be arsed doing a write up for all of them so will go in descending order 1-5, from best to worst.
1) Low: Handled the new material well, kudos to their sound man. Not sure how much was truly live though.
2) BJM: Solid if unspectacular. Have seen them better and worse.
3) Suuns: Much better than the previous time, maybe I was more open to them now or perhaps they're just a better band than years ago?
4) IDLES: Could easily place this above Suuns except for the fact that I had higher expectations for this gig than for the Canadians and those expectations weren't quite met. Not as loud or punishing as I thought they would be.
5) Magic Shoppe: Derivative and fairly lightweight really.

Interestingly, Low was the only gig to pass the 10.30pm mark. Also the only show to have an encore. Very happy to have a run of early finishes :D Encores do appear to be going out of fashion. Which is something I welcome as they very rarely match up to what went before. They're usually a big anti-climax.

Thursday and Friday offered up The Cosmic Dead and Nadja respectively. Both of which were nearer to midnight finishes funnily enough.
First time to see The Cosmic Dead and they didn't disappoint. Pretty full on for most of it with the noodling kept to a minimum. Unsure about the "Glaswegian Jakey randomly shouts at bemused passers-by" vocal utterances of the guitarist. Funny or annoying? Jury's out.
Following night was Nadja, an instrumental two-piece playing guitar and bass who mix drone, doom and shoegaze. I feel they would benefit greatly from a live drummer rather than a drum machine. Glad i made the effort to go though.
One of the supports was Luxury Mollusc, check out this brief description for a slew of genres you never knew existed :lol: :shock:
"Luxury Mollusc is the solo Atmospheric Harsh Noise/Ditch Electronics project of Dublin based multi-disciplinary artist Stuart Geelon. Focused on themes of castration and disease live performances see an improvised dissection of field recordings accompanied by the manipulation of detritus; scrap metal, bones, etc (often site specific) and processed vocals. Equal parts Japanoise junk freak-out, trauma-tronics and brooding industrial ambience."
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

5 gigs in 6 days?
and there's me umming and ahhing about a possible 3 gig nights in a row in November :o
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Teenage Fanclub - Barras, Glasgow (Night #1 - Bandwagonesque & Thirteeen)

Going to see one of your most favourite bands ever, playing two of their very best albums back to back was always going to be as exciting as it would be risky... a chance to hear so many great songs (and some rarely played ones) but there's also that nagging doubt that they'll not do it justice.

Shouldn't have worried really.

The band are not their youthful selves any more and some of the higher notes leave them straining a bit, but fuck me, with songs this good, an odd error is irrelevant (of which there were very few actually!)

No suprises with the setlist obviously with a wee interval between the albums (cue a mad rush as the middle-age fanclub rush to the loo to empty their middle-age bladders!). Nothing felt rushed and the band set them selves up for each song before putting their all into the songs.

The albums were recreated as accurately as possible. Joe MacAlinden playing violin and sax in the background, Paul Quinn and Francis McDonald appearing to help out on percussion, but hats off to Dave McGowan, their other guitarist, who did most of the stunt work to give us all the solos and fills throughout the albums. He was phenomenal. Often playing alongside Raymond McGinley, his contribution was utterly brilliant. Brendan O'Hare was back behind the kit for the show to play the two albums he featured on back in the day. Speaking before hand, he was shitting himself - real bag of nerves. He started the show quietly but, two songs in, he really loosened up and his drumming became much more energetic. Highlights were definitely Star Sign and Radio for Brendo. His antics also had the band and audience laughing away too. Same old Brendo!

Its shows like this that you realise just how great these albums are. I love Bandwagonesque a lot and it was one of my go-to records back in the 90s, but Thirteen has always had a place in my heart and has always impressed me even though its often thought of as a poor TFC album. Listening to Tears Are Cool and Radio and the utterly, utterly beautiful Gene Clark was great and totally justified my love for the album, but then you realise you've already heard December, What You Do To Me and Alcoholiday and its all up in the air again!

Yeah, there was some songs that really stood out, but the whole show was fabulous. Can't recall the last time i heard Guiding Star being played live (possible at previous Bandwagonesque show?) but it brought a tear to my eye. I was gutted to hear Gerry was leaving the band a few months ago, but man, he has written some of the most beautiful and most endearing songs i've ever heard. His vocal delivery and stunning bass playing will be very sorely missed, but he looked like he was loving every moment last night.

For those going to any of the other shows, you're really in for a treat! I just wish they'd played all the albums and all the rarities last night... i was certainly in no hurry to go home! :D :D :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah have tickets for all 3 in Manchester, not convinced i will make the 3rd one, but deffo not missing the first two. Looking forward to it
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Went to Bristol Anson Rooms last week to see, Kurt Vile & The Violators. It was a great gig and the first time we'd seen him live. Plenty of variety from more recent albums and a couple of older songs, too. Excellent stuff.
Hey Jayne
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Catching up with some of the last month's gigs .
Beach House at Troxy London.
Really into the new album 7. Wether it competes as highly as Teen Dream only time will tell. Songs from most of their albums at Troxy with visuals and lighting to match their dreamy sound .
Just to note if anyone on here decides to go to a gig at Troxy, steer clear of the circle booth seating at the front 3 rows of the upstairs circle. Seating is at 90° to the stage ??
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Kurt Vile and the Violators } Concorde 2 Brighton.
Support tonight was from Mary Lattimore and Meg Baird . Was looking forward to seeing Mary Lattimore, but was left feeling a bit disappointed as the duos songs didn't bring the best out of Mary Lattimores undoubted talent when solo with her experimental harp playing e.g. the new album Hundreds of Days , which in places is mesmeric.
Kurt Vile never ceases to impress. I lost count of the number of guitars he played on stage + the banjo of course ( I'm an Outlaw)
Songs from most of his recent albums.
No disappointment from their set of about 1 1/4 hrs including encore. Class act.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The Blinders } The Haunt Brighton
Trio from Doncaster with a new debut album " Columbia " . Had a good listen to this album before the gig . They certainly don't hold back on songs of society , and the state of it. Punk, but in a rock and roll style.
Lively stage act from a band that seem really passionate about what they are playing.
Impressive and compelling 45 minutes.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••
TVAM } Green Door Store Brighton
Think there's enough on tonights showing of TVAM to impress most people on this forum I should imagine. There's Kraut rock, electronica, noise, drone , reverb and guitar layers all in the set . Really impressed, lighting and visuals alongside to a great gig .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Saw House Of Love at Leeds Beckett's 11/9. 30th anniversary of their debut LP on Creation.
I expected an older crowd and that is what it was.
House Of Love took the stage and immediately played the entire debut LP. Love In A Car just exploded midway through. Then they launched into one of the all time surorising and great set lists I have ever seen.
Obscure b-sides, and single tracks. It was incredible. One regret was the omission of Real Animal but the rest was amazing.
What I love about these shows is the crowd. Most knew the lyrics to all the songs. The joy on their faces was really cool.
Terry Bickers can still bring it too. A great night out and well worth the trip over.
Accompanied by my host Mark Runcible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Saw Ennio Morricone in Oslo on Monday on his 90th celebration tour, accompanied by a huge orchestra and choir. I think there were about 200 people on stage. Epic and absolutely incredible show spanning his career.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Went to see The Delines last night at the Unitarian Church in Liverpool. Utterly phenomenal gig. I can understand why Willy Vlautin rates Amy Boone's voice so highly. They even used the pipe organ in the church for the live debut of 'I'm just a ghost' as part of their encore.

Very highly recommended to say the very least.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 pm Went to see The Delines last night at the Unitarian Church in Liverpool. Utterly phenomenal gig. I can understand why Willy Vlautin rates Amy Boone's voice so highly. They even used the pipe organ in the church for the live debut of 'I'm just a ghost' as part of their encore.

Very highly recommended to say the very least.
sounds great Olan. I'm a big fan of Richmond Fontaine and the stories that Willy tells in his songs. that said his voice was always quite limited, so it makes sense to have a great voice like Amy's deliver them.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Steve Mason at Leeds Belgrave Music Hall...

Musically this was excellent. A great band performing great songs, mostly from the last 2 albums. Fantastic renditions of Rocket, Spanish Brigade, Planet Sizes, Hardly Go Through, Come To Me and more.

The issues were poor organisation in the venue, which was uncomfortably full, and the crowd itself. Steve seems to attract a decent percentage of real tossers. At Hebden Bridge Trades Club on the last tour the gig was stopped as a fight broke out. Friday night featured endless inconsiderate dickheads - rude, jostling, jiggling, barging and just generally in your face. It really made a difference and the gig was far less enjoyable than it could have been. A real shame as the set itself was fantastic. We actually left during a superb Words In My Head at the end as the twats nearby jumping into us became too much. Music = 9/10. Gig as a whole = 4/10.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Lucid Dream @ Glasgow Broadcast

Sold out show at the Broadcast cellar venue, superb show, last time I saw them they were supporting Wooden Shjips back end of last yr, just before the newest album came out and they played a mostly electronic set showcasing the new album, time constraints an what not, tonight was a different beast altogether, mixing up tracks from Actualization and Compulsion Songs, seamlessly really which is quite a feat considering how the two albums sound , great set, great night but I cant help thinking these guys will never get the credit they`re due which is a shame when you see shite like Idles and Shame getting the "Upcoming British Rock band" plaudits, as they put a hell of a work in and deserve so much more

Managed to film a fair bit of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XucP_mx ... ture=share
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 pm Steve Mason at Leeds Belgrave Music Hall...

Musically this was excellent. A great band performing great songs, mostly from the last 2 albums. Fantastic renditions of Rocket, Spanish Brigade, Planet Sizes, Hardly Go Through, Come To Me and more.

The issues were poor organisation in the venue, which was uncomfortably full, and the crowd itself. Steve seems to attract a decent percentage of real tossers. At Hebden Bridge Trades Club on the last tour the gig was stopped as a fight broke out. Friday night featured endless inconsiderate dickheads - rude, jostling, jiggling, barging and just generally in your face. It really made a difference and the gig was far less enjoyable than it could have been. A real shame as the set itself was fantastic. We actually left during a superb Words In My Head at the end as the twats nearby jumping into us became too much. Music = 9/10. Gig as a whole = 4/10.
Couldn't agree more with Runcibles comments, that venue is definitely off my list :!: What I cant get my head round is the fact that he appears such a nice guy and not antagonistic to the crowd in the way say an Anton or Liam Gallagher might be and yet he still attracts a certain element that just behave badly. very puzzling :?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'll hold on to my memories of the Wakefield Unity Works gig then.
Great comfy venue, great gig, great posse and right up front.
No assholes.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

spzretent wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm I'll hold on to my memories of the Wakefield Unity Works gig then.
No assholes.
That was a brilliant night :D
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

The Revolution in Oslo last night. Very impressive show that showcased how incredibly tight and funky this band is and was. The setlist contained 20 greats from Prince's golden age. Go see them if you can!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BVCP206 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:50 am
spzretent wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm I'll hold on to my memories of the Wakefield Unity Works gig then.
No assholes.
That was a brilliant night :D
'cept for that anti American bartender in the pub after the show who accused me of being rude. That still bothers me. i am never rude. Especially when ordering a round. :roll:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm 'cept for that anti American bartender in the pub after the show who accused me of being rude. That still bothers me. i am never rude. Especially when ordering a round. :roll:
I was impressed with your manners. You were completely unphased by my swearing :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Perhaps you are not anti Yank Olan :wink:
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Trail of Dead @Art School, Glasgow.

The "Madonna 20 years anniversary tour" certainly did nothing to make me feel any younger, but I was super stoked for this, as that's my favourite ToD album. I'd missed them in 2014 so way too long since I last saw them. And indeed as the crowd gets older, gigs get a bit less wild too. With the full album thing, it felt a bit odd to have Totally Natural so early in the show. No moshing during A Perfect Teenhood! I even considered starting a mosh and I DON'T mosh! (I didn't join in when there was a small one later, just stuck to my dancing). Good banter, good energy, but I don't know.. I'm not the hugest fan of these album gigs - though I wish they'd do Tao as each part only truly works as a whole! - and yes there are some songs I am happy to hear every time, but a little more variety wouldn't hurt. But always a good night seeing them nonetheless!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 pm Perhaps you are not anti Yank Olan :wink:
I'm pretty much anti-everyone at the moment. We try to avoid discrimination though. Everyone and everything can do one atm.

:wink:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

flokie wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 pm Trail of Dead @Art School, Glasgow.

The "Madonna 20 years anniversary tour" certainly did nothing to make me feel any younger, but I was super stoked for this, as that's my favourite ToD album
I was lined up to see this show too in Birmingham but didn't make it in the end. It's my favourite album of theirs too I reckon.

I read that in the encore they have been playing big chunks of Sources Tags & Codes too?

I guess no moshing isn't that surprising. They don't seem to be gaining any new fanbase so it's only going to be the original fans who are only getting older. Me included!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
spzretent wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 pm Perhaps you are not anti Yank Olan :wink:
I'm pretty much anti-everyone at the moment. We try to avoid discrimination though. Everyone and everything can do one atm.

I guess you could call that equal opportunities grumpiness? 😊
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 pm
olan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm

I guess you could call that equal opportunities grumpiness? 😊
You're on the list too Jon.

:)
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:49 pm I read that in the encore they have been playing big chunks of Sources Tags & Codes too?
Just a couple of songs. I think some shows on the tour may have both Madonna and Source Tags & Codes in full, but only an extra four+1 songs here.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 pm I guess you could call that equal opportunities grumpiness? 😊
I'm not usually like that, and there may be a weather/winter effect, but talking about grumpy, see my review of a gig I thoroughly enjoyed :)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kikagaku Moyo at The Blind Pig Ann Arbor Saturday February 23, 2019

I hadn't been to the Blind Pig in 25 years. It's still a shithole. All they have done in 25 years is slapped black paint on the walls and a bit of sheet metal around the bar area.
The stage is still approximately 12 inches tall. Not great when you are in a sea of tall people and you are vertically challenged.

While the crowd seemed great and Kikagaku Moyo had big smiles on their faces there were the usual assholes talking over the music. There were frat boys and girls, obnoxious millennials and people who may as well have been at a Kenny Chesney concert. The worst was this Gallagher (the comedian who smashes things) lookalike bitching all night how he didn't like this kind of music and his date who sounded like she was sucking helium agreeing. How they wound up at this show is anyone's guess.

Then there was "this guy" who as he was walking out drunkenly he bumped into my knee. I was seated on a bar stool. He looks at me and says "Oh, you've got knees". I said yes, two of them. To which he wanted to then fight me. Mind you he bumped into me. I reminded him of that and then he mumbled some inane bullshit and his friend dragged him out.

I need to be reminded never to go to Ann Arbor for shows. It's just not worth it.

Kikagaku Moyo were fantastic by the way. Too bad other people ruin a great night out.

Grumpy rant over.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Massive Attack, 3 Arena, Dublin

Similar experience to spzretent's above. Just back from this gig and i'm so pissed off I can't even be arsed to review the show itself.
A gig populated by self-absorbed wankers who believed their conversation is more important than what's on stage or other people's enjoyment of that gig. I forcefully told one group to "Shut the Fuck Up!" at one point. And they did. For two minutes. Then it was back to the chats.
Even yapped through Angel and Teardrop. Didn't stop them whipping out the phones though for the obligatory "Look, this was Teardrop. It was brilliant" photo. I've waited decades to hear Liz Fraser live. Shouldn't have bothered.
Why drop €60 on a ticket and then talk all the way through? Just wipe the human race from the face of the Earth please. We'd all be better off :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 am Massive Attack, 3 Arena, Dublin

Similar experience to spzretent's above. Just back from this gig and i'm so pissed off I can't even be arsed to review the show itself.
A gig populated by self-absorbed wankers who believed their conversation is more important than what's on stage or other people's enjoyment of that gig. I forcefully told one group to "Shut the Fuck Up!" at one point. And they did. For two minutes. Then it was back to the chats.
Even yapped through Angel and Teardrop. Didn't stop them whipping out the phones though for the obligatory "Look, this was Teardrop. It was brilliant" photo. I've waited decades to hear Liz Fraser live. Shouldn't have bothered.
Why drop €60 on a ticket and then talk all the way through? Just wipe the human race from the face of the Earth please. We'd all be better off :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I quite enjoyed the show. The smattering of covers (VU, Cure, Ultravox Bauhaus, Pete Seger etc) was interesting, the sound was crystal clear, lighting and projections were entertaining and the venue was decent albeit an enormous shed.

Have to agree with Joycey on the crowd. We were surrounded by a bunch or European 30-somethings who wanted to dance. Nothing wrong with that usually, except, instead of handbags all the ladies had miniature backpacks on and kept backing into us. I've got a hefty surgical scar down my abdomen and so can do without being battered about the torso with a heavy bag.

Do like a gig where the band says nothing at all. They just played the set and then went home home. No encore. Good gig. Shame about the large proportion of twats in the crowd. Shut the fuck up and dance around your handbags please! :evil:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Chills play here tomorrow night and I am wondering if I should make the effort. Will I walk out just as pissed off as I did Saturday? Smaller club. Hopefully better crowd. It's not like The Chills tour every year.
Bitching aside I have to give major props to the crowd at the House Of Love Leeds show in November. No talking. Thank you.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

two recent gigs, my first this year

Damo Suzuki- doing his freeform jamming thing with a local band (Weird in Purpose Band). apparently they only had one quick rehearsal in the daytime, but it wasn't quite as freaky as you'd expect, actually pretty tight at times and even the occasional flashes of what could sound like Can. Damo seemed totally in the moment too, he could so easily just stand up there and phone it in on his 'legend' status.

the support band weren't bad either (Health & Efficiency) I was hearing echoes of early more minimalist Mogwai or Slint

Dylan Carlson- this was really great, just Dylan and a superb sounding amp and guitar setup. he played the solo album pretty much in full, also some Earth songs (Old Black and something from The Bees Made Honey..) which came across surprisingly well without the drums pushing them along. His guitar tones are so thick and he'd loop things sometimes, also just droning on the bottom E string really fills out the sound.

There's a new Earth album out soon and apparently he'll be back over here touring that in October.

both of these gigs were finished by around 10pm which suited me just fine in my advancing years :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw Steve Gunn at the Brudenell last night…

First time seeing Steve with a full band - he played an acoustic show almost exactly 2 years previously in Trinity Church Leeds. This was totally different. It was very enjoyable last time but with a full band his music was on a whole new level. He played a couple of acoustic songs solo - really beautiful I have to say - but generally the songs were played as a 4 piece, and what a cracking band these guys are. Superb musicians throughout, tight as you like and with some brilliant guitar by whoever the guy was Steve had on stage with him (sorry – no idea who he is!).

The set was mostly from his last album ‘The Unseen Inbetween’, but that record is so damn good it didn’t matter. It’s always cool when you know every song in a band’s set and so it was last night. From the moment he started you knew it was special. The Brudenell’s sound was fantastic – you could everything that was going on and when they took it up a notch the interplay between the 2 guitars was really something. It sounded like classic Steve Gunn for the most part, with the songs taking on added dimensions by being played live. ‘New Familiar’ was pushed into areas of real noise complete with lovely squelchy wah-wah. An initially mellow-sounding ‘Way Out Weather’ as an encore was built up into a glorious shimmering climax. Outstanding from start to finish.

The place was only about half full but that actually made it really comfortable. There was a great vibe too as everyone seemed to be having a very nice time. The crowd were very enthusiastic but also respectful so no talking during songs, wild applause after and then a patient silence as the next tune was lined up.

Best show of the year for me. Loved every minute…
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also saw Steve Gunn (Saturday night at the Hare & Hounds, Birmingham) and agree with everything you said Runcible. definitely gig of the year so far. He's a really talented guitar player, his playing is always immaculate with not a single note out of place.
In the live arena he really likes to cut loose in a way he never really does on record (that's the only criticism of the albums, that they can seem a little 'safe' at times, although I do think the new one is possibly his best and they are getting better and better each time).
The jam on Way Out Weather was superb, (I managed to catch some video for youtube of that one) I love how the jams never seem shoehorned in, but always so fluid and they develop organically. Paranoid was also treated to a surprisingly noisy section with guitars held aloft and lots of feedback. Lightning Field was also a big highlight for me.

Thought the support act Papercuts were great too, not heard of them before but some really great melodic indie rock.

side note.. I've been to 4 gigs this year and they all finished at 10pm :D could get used to being tucked up in bed at 11pm after a gig!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pom Poko, Upstairs at Whelans, Dublin

Took a last minute punt on this Saturday night and very glad I did. Four-piece from Norway with questionable clobber and a very enthusiastic frontwoman. Played their only album, no encore, and they were done. I'd describe them as a slightly less awkward Deerhoof. Lots of FUN. Band and audience smiling throughout. Would definitely go see them again.
Think that was my 13th gig this year, which is pretty good going.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:21 pmThought the support act Papercuts were great too, not heard of them before but some really great melodic indie rock.
Is this Papercuts from San Francisco? If it is I remember they had an album called 'You Can Have What You Want'. I saw them live about 10 years ago. Can't remember whether it was here or while I was on holiday in San Fran.
angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:21 pmside note.. I've been to 4 gigs this year and they all finished at 10pm :D could get used to being tucked up in bed at 11pm after a gig!
Yeah, I much prefer an early start/finish these days....we're getting old Sighs :roll: Apart from seeing Spiritualized and a few DRR acts in Stockholm its been pretty sparse on the gig front so far in 2019 for me.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 am Is this Papercuts from San Francisco? If it is I remember they had an album called 'You Can Have What You Want'. I saw them live about 10 years ago. Can't remember whether it was here or while I was on holiday in San Fran.
yep pretty sure that's the one, I really liked their set. I always try to catch support bands if possible, it can pay dividends!

my gigging calendar is looking relatively good this year myself, no psych fest again means potentially no festivals again too, something which I hope to remedy. perhaps a Brighton or London meetup may be in order at some stage.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Minimalist Dream House } Barbican
With the very impressive Katia and Marielle Labèque with David Chalmin, Bryce Dessner and Thom Yorke.
Great gig, would be very keen to see the Labèque Sisters live again, their 2013 album Minimalist Dream House a fine listening.

Moon Duo + Emmanuel Biard
Niamos Manchester (experiments in stoner disco)
Wonderful display of sound and lighting. Moon Duo have really raised their bar on the lighting side of their shows recently.
This show was a one off light show , where the band were caged behind a glass structure with a fantastic trippy light show.
Just one downside to the evening, could've done with another hour of that hypnotic, psychedelic drone.
Crows } The Dome Tuffnel Park
Recently supporting IDLES on tour , headlining tonight. These lads have a punk,droney, dark sound with some dark lyrics. Lots of activity on and off stage with crowd and band mixing with moshing ,diving and surfing. Another great evening of sound and vision.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Endless Boogie } Hope and Ruin Brighton
The night kicked off with local Stoner rock band Yetti. Would definitely want to see this lot again , lots of noise, drone and feedback . Dark, deep vocals. Sometimes vocals can ruin stoner stuff, when you're getting into the distortion groove it was not the case with Yetti.
I just couldn't stop smiling through the Endless Boogie set of Brilliant guitar powered riffs and rhythms that went on and on with mid song Captain Beefheart style stories and vocals from lead singer and guitarist Paul Major. Building again just like a train of guitar solo, drone and noise. Another wonderful evening with Acid Box promotions.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw Endless Boogie too, but in the Community Room at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.

I really enjoyed it. To the untrained ear it seemed like they played just 3 tracks in all, and that includes the encore. Mind you the first was 20 minutes, the second was over 40 and the encore another 25. Each contained jams, songs and other bits and they came across more like suites than medleys. Within about 5 seconds of the start you knew how it was going to go as those thick, sticky riffs boogied along so that everyone in the room took part in mass heavy nodding.

It might be Paul Major who the focus is on, and indeed as a guitarist he was excellent, adding snarly growly vocals, but the engine room was run by the other guitarist Jesper Eklow who pretty much provided all the beefy power. Rhythm section Marc and Harry created the platform it all took place on.

I knew a load of bits that were immersed in the rumbling set and they went down a treat. Again it's worth saying how mighty the sound is in that place. The PA is really just 2 not terribly large speakers on either side plus a smaller one in the middle. How they got a sound that size out of it is beyond me, but the Brudenell generally always has great sound. Shows up most other venues I've been to. It was still seriously impressive. Also nice to see a band containing musicians older than me!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:09 pm Endless Boogie } Hope and Ruin Brighton
The night kicked off with local Stoner rock band Yetti. Would definitely want to see this lot again , lots of noise, drone and feedback . Dark, deep vocals. Sometimes vocals can ruin stoner stuff, when you're getting into the distortion groove it was not the case with Yetti.
I just couldn't stop smiling through the Endless Boogie set of Brilliant guitar powered riffs and rhythms that went on and on with mid song Captain Beefheart style stories and vocals from lead singer and guitarist Paul Major. Building again just like a train of guitar solo, drone and noise. Another wonderful evening with Acid Box promotions.
Hey Broken Heart, I was at that gig too....wasn't it great :D 8) Yetti are superb. In fact, I am currently working with them on putting their debut album out on vinyl. They're also down to play the second Drone Rock Records showcase gig in November with Gnob, Psychic Lemon, Stereocilia and special guest headliners 10,000 Russos. Good times.

As for Endless Boogie, they are so much fun live. I remember seeing them at Liverpool Psych Fest a few years back and grinning from ear to ear. Pretty similar experience this time round. Acid Box did well to get them down here.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw 999 at Leeds Wharf Chambers.

Despite having been a fan of these guys for over 40 years I’d never seen them live before. ¾ of the original line up make up the band these days so it’s still largely the same guys making the music. It’s really their first 2 albums I love – 999 and Separates – and, to my delight, most of the set comprised of tunes from those records. I have so say I really enjoyed it & the set far exceeded my expectations. They might be a lot older these days – what can we expect after a career than spans something like 44 years? – so the energy might not be what it was, but they still played an excellent set, nice and tight and with an impressive sound for such a tiny venue. Lots of individual highlights but the showstopper for me was Real Rean from Separates, a song I’ve loved for decades. They absolutely nailed it and it was worth the entrance fee for those 3 minutes alone. A nice spine-tingling moment as the years melted away and I remembered jumping around my bedroom as a punk-obsessed teen to that song.

My tastes have shifted a little since those days but that was one to tick off the bucket list. I can’t believe this band eluded me for so long but it was worth the wait. Punk changed my life back in the summer of ’77, so leaping forward a few decades I find myself with 999 on my iPod these past few days and still loving their music.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I saw the Primal Scream at Metronome Festival in Prague on Saturday.

They were bloody awful.

Ha!

It was a warm & beautiful night, they played a greatest hits set which included 'Miss Lucifer' and 'Velocity Girl' and had a really chilled out crowd. Never seen them as a basic 5 piece band before and they killed with fire. 'Swastika Eyes' was just unreal.

Kraftwerk - with 3D mayhem going on after (with specs being handed out) - made for an exceptional post Scream gig thing.

As I write this it's 27°c
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The rehabilitation of Velocity Girl is certainly an unexpected/surprising development, how was it hearing that live Bza?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just recovering from a fairly epic Stereolab gig last night. The venue was fairly much at capacity with the crowd pretty charged for the gig, a good sign for a Tuesday night in Dublin. The clarity of the sound mix helped things along no end, particularly during the spacier moments in Lo Boob Oscillator and Blue Milk. There were occasions last night where the driving beats, loping bass lines, choppy guitars, and droning keyboards locked together almost perfectly.

I got the impression the band were a bit surprised at the extremely positive response from the audience as there were several moments where they stood staring at the audience with obvious WTF? style looks on their faces as the crowd roared it’s approval.

Highly recommended if you get a chance to catch them. When Stereolab are on their game there are few better live propositions.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

We saw Stereolab at Leeds Stylus last Friday.

This should have been amazing, and a lot of the music sounded really good. Sadly the venue largely ruined it. Way too full so that even me at 6 ft 2 could see almost nothing. I can't even tell you who was in the band or how many people were on stage as there was absolutely nowhere to go with any view. So we stood near the bar & just listened. That's not much of a live music experience for me. The highlights were a very delicate Anamorphose and a stomping Lo Boob Oscillator, both sounding great.

Music wise I'd give it 8/10. As a gig experience no way was it more than 2/10. And The Stylus is consigned to the shitlist of awful Leeds venues alongside O2 Academy and Belgrave Music Hall. Massively disappointing, solely because of the venue.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: What gigs have you just been to?qd

Post by BzaInSpace »

niamhm wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 pm The rehabilitation of Velocity Girl is certainly an unexpected/surprising development, how was it hearing that live Bza?
Aw man, it was immense!
O P 8
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

runcible wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 am We saw Stereolab at Leeds Stylus last Friday.

This should have been amazing, and a lot of the music sounded really good. Sadly the venue largely ruined it.
This seems to happen to you a lot in Leeds. Hasn't anyone realised there's a gap in the market for a good small venue? (Or am I just remembering the bad times you talk about and most are fine?)
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There arent that many poor venues here Ian & the Stylus is hardly small. I've listed them in my review. Plus we have what many consider the best venue in the UK in the form of the Brudenell.

If you want really poor venues a trip to Manchester is all you need. Or even London. Loads there.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

As a member of the vertically challenged brigade I am used to having no view of the gig irrespective of how nice the venue is. Typically I pick out a decent spot and then some tall twat (usually with big hair to add insult to injury) squashes in right in front of me after the first tune. Often they will talk their way through the gig to be completely annoying.

My view of Stereolab the other night:

Note: I had to hold the camera up over my head to take this shit photo. As I typically stand stock still at a gig, with my eyes closed, nodding along to the music it is the chatty fuckers who annoy me most.

Stereolab were wonderful. I was struck that there still is a hole in the middle of stage where Mary Hansen used to stand, even after all this time.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stereolab - Vicar St. Dublin

I think i'd go with Angelsighs view that they were good not great. Highlights were Metronomic Underground, Anamorphose :D , Crest, Blue Milk and Lo Boob Oscillator. For me they seemed to be missing the big, fat organ drone that tended to dominate everything. The keyboard drone was still there but was a lot thinner and lacking punch.
Olan is correct that the band seemed genuinely surprised by the crowd response, especially Laetitia, who actually appeared to be quite emotional at the end of the gig.

Nice pricing on the merch too: €15 for a T-shirt (they were doing a flying trade on the yellow one, which i bought), €25 for triple vinyl.
Sorry I couldn't meet up Olan but I met a friend who I hadn't seen in about two years and he had plenty to discuss!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:43 pm Stereolab - Vicar St. Dublin

I think i'd go with Angelsighs view that they were good not great. Highlights were Metronomic Underground, Anamorphose :D , Crest, Blue Milk and Lo Boob Oscillator. For me they seemed to be missing the big, fat organ drone that tended to dominate everything. The keyboard drone was still there but was a lot thinner and lacking punch.
Where were you standing Joycey? I find that the sound at Vicar Street can be very thin unless you stand well back, hence my usual position beside the mixing desk. There was a layer of keyboards missing though. I seem to recall the really classic Stereolab gigs featuring at least two full-time keyboard players and two guitarists with additional guitar/kbds from Laetitia. I still really enjoyed it though. Far too long since I last went to a decent Stereolab gig as the last few I went to before the band was shelved were poor.

I wonder when/if Cavern of Anti-Matter will reappear?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I eschewed my usual central position halfway back to be sociable with my mates who were third row from the front towards Laetitia's side of the stage. So, yeah, that probably had a bearing on things alright.
I did enjoy it though. Mind you it would've been nice to hear something off Peng!

I doubt that COAM are finished. Would definitely like to see them again.
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

Saw Flatworms in Nottingham last weekend. they were pretty great. hadn't heard any of their stuff prior.

did anyone get to see the Love Revisted thing with Johnny Echols? had some rave reviews. pissed I missed it.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Bluedot 2019, Hot Chip, Kraftwerk, New Order, the whole weekend was made by Henge!