What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by angelsighs »

Greeny wrote:Lift to Experience. Magnificent
yes... want all the details please!!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Laz69 wrote:Brian Jonestown Massacre - Barras, Glasgow, 9th June

Scorching hot day, last minute announcement of no support and a 3 hour set from BJM. Whats not to love?!?!?!

I was worried that they may struggle to fill the Barras after their last visit to Glasgow, but its was prety full in the end. Not rammed, but full enough.

They took a little while to get their momentum up, but another great, solid set from Anton and co. No outrageous behaviour, Anton on good form and some banter with the audience inbetween some of the later songs. Anton had a go at the keyboard player after he stopped one of the songs due to him playing out of key but that was quickly forgotten about as they ran through so many classics. Enrique's guitar playing was phenomenal to watch... he really is such a great musician and he brought a lot of the noise to the evening, but the whole band were in great form. Spent most of the show grinning from ear to ear.

Only downside was that i didn't have much cash on me as they had a pile of t-shirts in different colours (£15 i think) and what looked like every BJM album on vinyl at the fan-friendly price of £10 a piece... if i'd known, i'd have been carrying a load of them home!

Anyway, great show.
Saw them last night in Liverpool. Great show. Anton on good form. Only one stopped song, and one punter shouted at.

They are sounding great and Anton was talking about a couple of new albums coming soon.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep was also at BJM and agree they have never sounded better. Anton is off his cake without drink and drugs these days, so the outbursts are milder and he tends to reign it in far more than when he was wasted. 2nd 3hr show in less than a week after Neil Young destroyed Leeds on Friday with a sublime performance
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Joel seemed to be doing a good job at keeping Anton calm.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Brian Jonestown Massacre at Leeds Stylus on Monday.

Almost 3 hours but whatever - it was a very enjoyable set! A lot of people mistimed it so it was a sparse crowd when they took the stage and it was maybe an hour in before the place filled. Loads of really cool songs that spanned decades. Decent sound for the most part although it got muddy a couple of times. Although I had a really good time they never quite went into overdrive as they used to on songs like When Jokers Attack (which they played) and Hide and Seek (which they didn't). The outstanding moment was Anenome which was pretty damn glorious and done perfectly. The other real bonus was NO Dig dickheads - I have never known a more mellow BJM crowd. Usually endless beer throwing tossers but on Monday - barring one chap who climbed on stage at the end and was promptly booted off - they were absent which made for a far more comfortable vibe. One criticism of Stylus is there is absolutely nowhere to sit down in that place. At my age I prefer to take a break at some point but it wasn't possible there. We ended up right behind the mixing desk leaning on a barrier so the sound was great and so we stayed there for most of the set. Anton has used that same line up - although Frankie has been replaced by Dead Skeletons/Asteroid #4 bloke Ryan - for well over a decade now so they are pretty tight and as a unit they are pretty impressive. See them if you can - great music and terrific value for money...
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

BJM - Lpool.
Enjoyed it - they have so much fantastic output, can't really go wrong. Not sure what the situation with Matt H is (presume it was a Question about his absence that prompted Anton's little cocksucker rant)?
Think last time I saw them there wer 6 guitarists on stage at times, so Ireckon their sound last night sounded a little less muscular.
Good stuff though - had to leave before the end
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

angelsighs wrote:
yes... want all the details please!!
Sounds totally corny, but it was akin to a religious experience. I saw them back in the day and for me any my mate it is a gig that means so much. I've lost count of the times we've spoken about it in hushed tones.

So there was a real risk the new show couldn't possible compare... they're older, we're older, maybe it wasn't really as good as our memories told us?

But from the first big smash of guitar and light - and we were in the front row so we got the full onslaught - it just transported me to another place. I can't remember the last time I got so into a gig - being so close it felt truly intimate, but with the big sound and clarity of the venue to back it up. In fact so powerful were the sound waves from Josh's guitar it was like you could feel them, not just hear them.

No-one talked, you could have heard a pin drop in the quiet, intricate bits, and that kept the spell well and truly over me.

And no-one - repeat no-one - does quiet/loud quite like Lift to Experience. Mogwai are not even close (and I've seen them buckets of times). The intensity...

If that's to be it from LtE then so be it, an absolutely triumphal farewell. To be honest, if they announced a show in some grubby venue like Koko or whatever I wouldn't go, because it could only take away from the perfection of last Friday. I never want that memory to be tarnished.

P.S. the bass player was in tears during the final song - that tells you everything you need to know about what it meant to all of us to be there.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Greeny wrote: Sounds totally corny, but it was akin to a religious experience. I saw them back in the day and for me any my mate it is a gig that means so much. I've lost count of the times we've spoken about it in hushed tones.

So there was a real risk the new show couldn't possible compare... they're older, we're older, maybe it wasn't really as good as our memories told us?

But from the first big smash of guitar and light - and we were in the front row so we got the full onslaught - it just transported me to another place. I can't remember the last time I got so into a gig - being so close it felt truly intimate, but with the big sound and clarity of the venue to back it up. In fact so powerful were the sound waves from Josh's guitar it was like you could feel them, not just hear them.

No-one talked, you could have heard a pin drop in the quiet, intricate bits, and that kept the spell well and truly over me.

And no-one - repeat no-one - does quiet/loud quite like Lift to Experience. Mogwai are not even close (and I've seen them buckets of times). The intensity...

If that's to be it from LtE then so be it, an absolutely triumphal farewell. To be honest, if they announced a show in some grubby venue like Koko or whatever I wouldn't go, because it could only take away from the perfection of last Friday. I never want that memory to be tarnished.

P.S. the bass player was in tears during the final song - that tells you everything you need to know about what it meant to all of us to be there.
That sounds about as special as i could ever have imagined. Glad you got to witness it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Brian Jonestown Massacre - The Academy Dublin

Typical BJM gig really: moments of brilliance, periods of boredom, and the bulk of the set made up of solid tunes. Oh and Anton being a twat.
We got 2.5 hours in Dublin, didn't know whether to feel short-changed or relieved. I mean, I was done at 80 mins but then they managed to pull me back into it so I probably could've gone another half hour but never mind.
Three standout songs that really built up into a fantastic noisey groove, haven't a clue what they were but I do wish they'd play more stuff like that instead of the limp-wristed jingle jangle songs.
Anton bawled out his guitar tech early on for not having his guitar in tune but he was just warming up...
Night was slightly soured for me by Anton jumping off stage and attacking some young fella in the audience, who he then had thrown out by security. From what i saw, this kid, who was about 18, shouted 'You Suck', it wasn't malicious, he was probably just trying to impress his mates. Anton said something back then decided to take matters into his own hands.
Grow up for fuck sake, you're probably thirty years older than the kid, just ignore him. Knob end. :roll:

This reads like a negative review, but the gig was decent. Right, i'm now off to Body & Soul festival.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The guy is clearly mental (I'm reliably informed he has some sort of mental illness, the detail of which i dont know exactly)
The band just seem able to normally rise above it or distract him somehow. The Liverpool crowd were really lovely to be fair (I don't often say that) he was trying to goad someone in the audience, but nobody rose to it, the last 2 Ritz gigs in Manchester he barely spoke and just played. he is clean of Class A's and drink (he had no option on the latter) so these situations don't escalate like that used to as i had given up watching them as each show was becoming more of a car crash.
He plays and sings far better than he ever did, due to his clean living but still a complete fruit loop, pays your money takes your choice, least its never boring!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cult Of Dom Keller, The Mushroom Club and His Satanic Sitar Suggests @ Nice & Sleazys, Glasgow

Cult Of Dom Keller made another trip north of the border for a pishy Sunday night show in Glasgow. Dreadful turnout of about 10-15 which was probably influenced by the weather/fathers day/football, however, the CoDK guys didn't seem phased and played a blinder.
Helicon's sitar player, Graham, opened the night with some brilliant sitar jamming/ragas before Glasgow's Mushroom Club came on and gave us their BJM/Spacemen 3 influenced set. The last time i saw them, one of their songs was almost identical in chords/timing to SP3's Walking With Jesus, so when they started to play it even my wife picked up on that by saying thats the wrong lyrics, as she thougt it was a cover version! Good set from them but i'm convinced they had a few tuning issues near the end as somethings sounds "off".
Cult of Dom Keller played like there was 2000 in attendance. Their albums are wholey enjoyable but there is such an energy about their live show that it always impresses me. They generate such a heavy noise live that i was grinning from ear to ear. Had asked them to give a birthday shout out for my lovely wife and they dedicated the entire set to her and also played her favourite song, Worlds, as the set closer! She told me was glad the venue was pretty dark as she was beaming with embarrassment! haha

Great night again... just wish these bands that are making the trek north could get the audience numbers they deserve.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

BJM Concorde 2 Brighton.
Undoubtedly my best gig of the year so far. The groove and beat was almost endless. 5 guitars at sometimes, creating hypnotic waves of sound.
There were some lesser moments, but the crowd got their money's worth last night and repaid the band with great response and no incidents during the 2 hour set .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Kid Congo Powers & The Pink Monkey Birds - Grand Social, Dublin.

Great gig last night from Mr. Powers. With a rock'n'roll pedigree like his (guitarist with The Cramps, The Gun Club and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds) he can do whatever the fuck he wants really. The fact that he plays 60s garage with a big groove is a bonus. Played a lot of the new album plus a couple of Gun Club tunes (She's Like Heroin To Me and Sexbeat). Saw them a couple of years ago and they were decent but this was at a whole other level. More power, energy and groove :D 8)

If you get the chance go see 'em because Kid and the band are on top form at the moment.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Had tickets for the Friday show in Belfast but couldn't go at the last minute. Had been looking forward to it for months. Even more bummed now reading that review!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Sonic Boom - Hebden Bridge

Peter Kember is the one of the very few people I'd travel around the country to see - still gives me hairs-on-the-back of the neck seeing him on stage.

2-piece band meant a big leaning towards Soul Kiss and Forever Alien territory and a blissful set in a brilliant little venue in the middle of nowhere (actually Hedben Bridge is a lovely little place, but not a bus or train ride from my front door).

From the side of the stage, I gazed across the crowd as the keys played in the final section of Let Me Down Gently and saw broad smiles across the faces of everyone there. That then mutated into a long version the The End and then an encore of ... Big City!
I've never ever heard this performed live - it was even accompanied by bona fide dancing in the audience!

"Oh let the good times roll..."

Absolutely fucking golden

Mr Mark Runcible - was looking out for 7 ft teenagers, but didn't manage to spot them, so unfortunately another opportunity for hello has passed us by. After tonight, I'm tempted to try and get down to London for the forthcoming date, so possibly another opportunity then.

Go Sonic
lughole
New user

Post by lughole »

I was at that and am where just to find out what the song was called that featured the line 'Love will tear us apart again'? I think that was the line; it was about a third of the way in. I told some dickheads to shut up, which was fun.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

KingHarry wrote:
Mr Mark Runcible - was looking out for 7 ft teenagers, but didn't manage to spot them, so unfortunately another opportunity for hello has passed us by. After tonight, I'm tempted to try and get down to London for the forthcoming date, so possibly another opportunity then.

Go Sonic
Ha ha! Well one of them is very tall for sure! It was quite full in there so tricky to hook up. Whatever, we really enjoyed ourselves too. Let Me Down Gently was absolutely sublime, the highlight for me. Big City was also glorious. Che was excellent. Very tripped out light show was rather effective too. A full band would have offered perhaps noisier opportunities but Jason Holt on guitar was excellent in this set up - his wah-wah in Che was exceptional. I took 2 daughters who, rather to my surprise as they are into lots of scream core etc., really enjoyed it too. I took one of them to Spiritualized at the Brudenell so that's a neat part 2 for her. I am hoping for more live dates as the year goes on, with an expand line up.... Always a treat to see Pete on stage as Harry says....

That's a great little venue. The pace at the bar was ridiculously slow but that is my only gripe. Good sound quality & comfortable.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

https://youtu.be/nrC8RMIgU4Y

London, not Hebden Bridge, but a good watch
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

lughole wrote:I was at that and am where just to find out what the song was called that featured the line 'Love will tear us apart again'? I think that was the line; it was about a third of the way in. I told some dickheads to shut up, which was fun.
I Know They Say from Highs & Lows I think.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that Sonic gig sounds brilliant. wish I'd been able to make it. so it was kind of a stripped down synth and guitar setup? what other songs did he play?
lughole
New user

Post by lughole »

KingHarry wrote:
I Know They Say from Highs & Lows I think.
Ah, thanks very much.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote:that Sonic gig sounds brilliant. wish I'd been able to make it. so it was kind of a stripped down synth and guitar setup? what other songs did he play?
Lord I Don't Even Know My Name
All Night Long (I think)
I Know They Say
All Things Being Equal was in there
Let Me Down Gently
The End
Big City

Honey was on the set list, but they didn't play it. I've since become aware that they opened with Transparent Radiation whilst I was still out side (what a twat I am), and I've probably missed 1 or 2.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Just got back from the Bluedot festival and have to say Be One was one of the highlights after the educational talk from the curators
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I saw PJ Harvey for the first time last night. What an incredible performance and what a backing band. She played practically every song off the new album, but I'm not complaining. The new album is great. She did a couple from Let England Shake and then about 4 or 5 "classics." PJ has such a magnetic stage presence. In a lot of ways, it's the same feeling I get when I see Nick Cave or Jarvis Cocker - you just can't take your eyes off of them. And her voice was otherworldly! Definitely one of the best performances I've witnessed. Highly recommended if you get the chance.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

just got back from GreenMan festival.

Shark Dentist were great as were Hippies Vs Ghosts

Jagwar Ma and Michael Rother put on amazing performances on the Saturday night. Floating Points were ok and Dungen were a little disappointing. lots of other good stuff mind that I am unable to recall amid the haze right now.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I will never go to Green man again. 3 times I have been and 3 times its pissed it down. Cant be arsed with it, just ruins the vibe being constantly drenched. I have officially retired from Camping
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I will never go to Green man again. 3 times I have been and 3 times its pissed it down. Cant be arsed with it, just ruins the vibe being constantly drenched. I have officially retired from Camping
haha . horses for courses. yes it was my third. only really rained on Saturday and even then it was just showers.

I love camping so no worries.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Julianna Barwick at Komedia Brighton. Julianna never ceases to flick that emotional switch with layers and loops of her vocals and keyboard piano . Sometimes, as tonight the sound is devastatingly beautiful, especially when she performs " The Harbinger " from the album Nepenthe.
Great chilled gig with support from the fine Tiny Leaves and Apollo on violin.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Mogwai & Mark Cousins Atomic show last Sat.

Strange show this, documentary played above them, Mogwai were discreetly placed slightly to the side and lighting kept to a minimum I guess not to distract from what was happening on screen. I think it worked, powerful show - couldn`t really be anything else given the subject and artists involved - and Mogwai sounded great, very loud but Atomic just isn`t my fav Mogwai album, almost too understated, no other Mogwai stuff was played so it was a sorta short show. Interesting, glad I saw it but looking forward to seeing my next proper Mogwai band show.

Jesus And Mary Chain - Glasgow ABC

Saw both nights, my friend did some artwork for promoter so got us on the guest list for one night, great venue the ABC and a good mixed age crowd in both nights really enjoying the music. Sobriety really is suiting the Reid brothers as they`ve never sounded better or tighter than do just now at any point in the past 30 yr, Jim mentioned a new album for next yr - he`s been talking about a new album for about 5 yrs so don`t hold your breath, maybe cross your fingers instead - but no new stuff was played , All Thing Must Pass being the most recent and that`s about 7/8 yr old now but what beast of a tune live.
A massive back catalogue to choose from and I couldn`t have asked for a better set if I`d picked it myself, Blues From A Gun, Cracking Up, Between Planets and Never Understand being personal highlights, only difference in sets was Nine Million Rainy Days being played on 2nd night, a real treat as I don`t think I`ve heard them play that over the yrs, just a quick mention off the merch, bullshit!! Two t shirts a mug and a dish towel!! WTF. :)
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

The Parrots at The Joiners } Southampton . Very lively set from Madrid's Parrots. psychobilly,Cramps,distortion,fuzz,garage,
all this and more comes to mind . Support from Melt Dunes and The Orielles commencing a really great evening of sounds for a fiver no less !
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I will never go to Green man again. 3 times I have been and 3 times its pissed it down. Cant be arsed with it, just ruins the vibe being constantly drenched. I have officially retired from Camping
that's funny, i just got back from End of the Road festival and it pretty much rained the whole time there too. i got soaked at glastonbury this year as well so it's not been a good year for festival weather. having said that, i thought it pretty much always rains at Green Man. don't you kind of go there expecting that? i agree it puts a dampener on things though. :roll: (sorry!)

anyway, i managed to see some loads of bands including money, phosphorescent, cat power, BEAK>, laura gibson, meilyr jones, local natives, sam beam and jesca hoop, GOAT, Steve mason, BE, dr dog, bill ryder-jones, kevin morby, broken social scene, thurston moore group, devendra banhart, thee oh sees and teenage fanclub.

Money were incredible, and a personal festival highlight for me. they mostly played stuff from the new album with a couple of older tracks thrown in too. definitely go see them if you get a chance. meilyr jones played a really beautiful and manic set that reminded me of gorky's zygotic mynci at their best, but was very much his own thing. i think he ended up introducing his bass player 6 times in one song, which made me laugh. steve mason was great as always.. what else can you say? i really like the new local natives material, so they were another highlight. a couple of parrots flew over and shat on the audience during the sam beam thing, which was hilarious. also funny, thurston moore introduced his band as 'the galactic pot healers' in his usual deadpan style and then unleashed squalls of feedback on the audience. i don't know what pickups he uses, but his jazzmaster sounded amazing, really pure at times, and just brutal at others. thee oh sees were another highlight for sure. they had two drummers and basically embodied that 'high energy rock n roll' that bobby gillespie is always talking about. they were amazing, really loud and frenetic. people went crazy for them, even though it was pouring with rain and this was on the sunday night.

joanna newsom played a headline slot on the sunday night, but imposed her own sound restrictions so that no one else could play for an hour and a half. unfortunately i find her both dull and annoying and thanks to her there were no other bands playing. cheers joanna! it's a real shame, because last year's equivalent set was sufjan stevens, and that was nothing short of sublime.

i think quite a few other people felt the same, so everyone was desperate to get out of the rain into the big top stage where teenage fanclub were playing. somehow i'd never seen teenage fanclub before, so it was an amazing experience seeing them play out the festival. apparently they misjudged the length of their set, so added in 'the concept', which was the track i most wanted them to play, so that was great.

how were grandaddy at green man? i'm a big fan so i'd love to see them again sumday :roll: :lol: :roll: :evil:
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Bestival } last weekend. Highlights were Spring King,The Twilight Sad ,Wolf Alice, Black Honey , Louis Berry, Ghostpoet , The Wytches, The Human League . Best set for me was Jagwar Ma .
Bestival this year was very condensed to previous years . Hope this isn't bad news for future I.W. festivals.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Shit !! How did i forget Ride at Bestival. Only saw Ride a couple of times back in the day but thoroughly enjoyed their set at Bestival. Poor crowd numbers though.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Saw Kraftwerk in San Diego and at the Hollywood Bowl this week (with toomilk), amazing shows! The 3D visuals look really great for the most part, although some of them are a bit tacky, didn't work that well at the bowl but that's cause we were sat quite high up but that is a whole other experience anyway, what a venue. Crowds a little hit and miss, but what of it. Setlists identical and included the whole of the man machine, most of computer world, and then select cuts from other albums. The tour de france stuff and Radioactivity were the stand-outs, and I'm still holding on to hope they will one day do another LP.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Saw Psychic Ills at the El Club in Detroit last night.
I want to preface this post by saying I love Hazed Dream and the new Inner Journey Out LPs.
When they began at about midnight to the 40 or so folks there they played three tracks off the new LP. All verbatim LP versions. No spark, no comment, not really sure why I was sat there watching this when I could have been home playing the LPs and drinking better and cheaper beer. It never went anywhere after that either. I found myself just wanting to leave.
It was sad. I was really anticipating this show.
The lead singer showed no sign of life what so ever. I realize this is laid back sort of stoned groove but come on man. Maybe the rest of the band take their cue from him and he had an off night. They did have the most hair I have seen in a band in many years.

I think the promoter messed this one up. Two record shops in town sell tickets to this venues shows with no ticket surcharge.
For some reason there were no Psychic Ills tickets ever distributed. I went online and the ticket was $12 and the surcharge was $14. More than the ticket. That is most likely why those two record shops had free tickets yesterday. So at least they could get people there and sell drinks.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Head at Hull Central Library.

A somewhat odd venue for this acoustic set, but it was part of Hull's Lyricull Festival. Mick had endless technical issues and sound problems throughout the evening's set, yet somehow he managed to produce a selection of fantastic songs, all of which positively dripped with feeling. At one point, only a couple of songs in, his guitar packed up and it all ground to a halt. Mick looked pretty awkward as he waited for long-term guitar tech Skinny to sort it out before playing one song without any amplified guitar to a silent room. But that's the nature of the guy - as soon as he starts playing and singing the audience is captivated. I have rarely known people sit so quietly and respectfully at a gig. He played a spine-tingling array of solo and Shack material before announcing he'd run out of songs on his set list and then played a couple of requests the crowd shouted for.

The swell of atmosphere in that room during the heights of As Long As I've Got You was impressive - and set against Mick's battle with the equipment and sound in general (accompanied by furious looks at both Skinny and the guy on the sound desk) it was a mini-triumph although it was obvious he wasn't happy. Yet he gave it all he had and Mrs Runcible and I went away feeling pretty happy. Worth adding that was my first experience of Hull and it was a very good one. We found lots of friendly people, great food and a vibrant atmosphere in all the pubs and bars as well as the free street festival we came across in Zebedees Yard... Cracking weekend!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Had a wonderful night out @ Glasgow Poetry Club seeing WIll in Glasgow as part of his book tour.

Stuart from Mogwai was his inquisitor and you could tell her was a little nervous to start too but the bucket of beer that they had between then soon loosened lips and the stories and voices started to flow. Will read a couple of great stories from his book and generally just blethered away on a variety of subjects. Some questions from the audience had him give some rather diplomatic answers at times, yet there was no mudslinging or bitchin'... just Will's unique point of view.

Was sore laughing by the end of it and had the opportunity to get my book signed and some pics with Will before we left. Great night. Good to see and have a quick chat with Gary (Naimhm) there too.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Rother at the Brudenell.

I heard a recording of one of his shows last year so I knew roughly what to expect, but the deluge of power Micheal's trio produced was remarkable. I love my motorik beats if done properly so to hear the man who practically invented that rhythm play it live was a genuine treat. It was outstanding all night and nicely lapped up by a pretty packed and sold out venue. I knew most of the tunes he played but there were a few slightly unfamiliar ones in there too. The 2nd track - Maultrommel - was... ...incredible. The central focus of Michael's extraordinary guitar noise - and the Brudenell's immaculate system picked up every sharp prickle of fuzz - which rippled off the stage was truly glorious. A pumping, rolling surge that would put most noisy guitar bands in the shade. I just didn't want it to stop. The rest of the set was similar. Hallogallo was sensational, as were E-Musik, Negativland and Neuschnee. Not a dull moment and one of those sets you couldn't help bopping along too. Brilliant.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The 3rd part of my 3 gigs, 3 cities in 4 days trilogy ended with Gaye Bykers On Acid at York Fibbers last night.

These guys were an essential part of my musical history. My first Spacemen 3 show was as a Bykers support and they used to be really energetic and exciting live. Now, and getting on for 30 years later, they are back together for a final hurrah. They came across as a heavy punk band - at times the intensity was pretty impressive for a band who split up decades ago. Lots of old favourites - TV Cabbage, Everythang's Groovy, Rad Dude, Delirium - and all played to a crowd of old 'first time round' acid punks who went suitably bananas. There were loads of ladies there last night too which was pretty cool for a noisy band like that, and they were getting stuck in among the flailing elbows at the front. I hadn't realised how much people loved this band, but the crowd reaction was pretty crazy. Lots of fun and I'm so glad I caught them.

Generally dismissed because of their silly name, the Bykers were without doubt way ahead of their contemporaries at the time. Makes me wonder what might have happened if they had a more user-friendly name. Whatever, I'll always hold them dear. Their debut EP was released in 1986 and the connection to bands like Mudhoney (and it was early Mudhoney that struck me at this show) can't be dismissed. I mean, you can't argue with this as far as I'm concerned:

stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Great to hear that GBOA have still got It. I saw them twice back in the day. Once at Kings George's Hall in Blackburn - Drill Your Own Hole had just been released - and once at the Duchess of York (RIP) in Leeds around the Cancer Planet Mission time. Fantastic both times. Cancer Planet Mission is in my top albums list - the first time I heard it it was like WTF is this incoherent mess, but it's a fantastic record and I love it to bits now. I don't know if they ever played as Rektum? The album, Sakredanus, is a great load of noise:

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Acid Mothers Temple were superb last night in Birmingham. I don't know what's got into them, but they really seem to have stepped up a gear right now. they made an immense racket. they know how to build a riff into a gigantic firestorm of noise. the new rhythm section are superb, all over the map but still managing to hold the bottom end down tight.

the sound mix was just right- sometimes the mix can be a bit too heavy on the spacey synths, but the mix was guitar heavy and packed a massive wallop.

setlist included La Novia, Pink Lady Lemonade, the weird drag act/harmonica blues one they played at Liverpool, and Cometary Orbital Drive (aka The Electric Mainline song) which exploded at the end into a breathtaking crescendo. nothing that surprising in there.. but like I say, they just seem to be on incredible form at the moment, for whatever reason.

go and see them!!

spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Stars Of The Lid last night at the Contemporary in Nottingham.

I loved it, my friends I dragged along were utterly bored ha ha. the room they played in was a big grey cube and the projections filled 2 of the massive walls. at times the lights, projections and sound totally transported me.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spunder wrote:Stars Of The Lid last night at the Contemporary in Nottingham.

I loved it, my friends I dragged along were utterly bored ha ha. the room they played in was a big grey cube and the projections filled 2 of the massive walls. at times the lights, projections and sound totally transported me.
I'm seeing them in Brighton on Monday - can't wait!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Greeny wrote:
I'm seeing them in Brighton on Monday - can't wait!
whats the venue like? the Contemporary was an unusual space, helped make it all quite special. they build to a nice deafening drone at points!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Friday 30th @ Deaf Institute-Manchester

Ultimate Painting

Love this band, have seen them plenty of times in the last 2 1/2 years, new (third) album just out and is sublime. Nice mix of songs from all 3 albums, the new songs do sound very mellow it has to be said. Good crowd in, probably close to capacity. If you are unsure of this band, I would say if you combine The Velvet Underground with Teenage Fanclub then you are there.

Wednesday 5th Oct @ Manchester Academy 3

Luna

Dreadful clash as had to miss out on James T's fantastic show he had put on with Stars Of The Lid, I wouldn't of missed it for any other band but when its Luna and they probably wont be back again, I had to make the call.
The bonus was they were playing Penthouse straight through and by christ what an album. Lovely to hear Kalamazoo, Freakin and Peakin, hedgehog and double feature, 4 songs that i figured I would never here live. Sound was generally good but needed tweeking a few times, encore was a song from Britta's solo album, Malibu Love Nest, Speedbumps, Anesthesia and a resounding finale of Friendly Advice. Crowd were well up for it and were vociferous throughout, although sparse in numbers (160 tops) created a good atmosphere. Sean was his usual goofy self, lots of funny anecdotes, which he kept getting wrong, Dean gleefully correcting him. If you are watching them at London on Friday, you are in for a treat.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spunder wrote:
whats the venue like? the Contemporary was an unusual space, helped make it all quite special. they build to a nice deafening drone at points!
It's a church. Should be ideal!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:Michael Rother at the Brudenell.

I heard a recording of one of his shows last year so I knew roughly what to expect, but the deluge of power Micheal's trio produced was remarkable. I love my motorik beats if done properly so to hear the man who practically invented that rhythm play it live was a genuine treat. It was outstanding all night and nicely lapped up by a pretty packed and sold out venue. I knew most of the tunes he played but there were a few slightly unfamiliar ones in there too. The 2nd track - Maultrommel - was... ...incredible. The central focus of Michael's extraordinary guitar noise - and the Brudenell's immaculate system picked up every sharp prickle of fuzz - which rippled off the stage was truly glorious. A pumping, rolling surge that would put most noisy guitar bands in the shade. I just didn't want it to stop. The rest of the set was similar. Hallogallo was sensational, as were E-Musik, Negativland and Neuschnee. Not a dull moment and one of those sets you couldn't help bopping along too. Brilliant.
yeh saw him at Green Man festival ... the set kicked off big time half way through , very enjoyable and dance friendly :-)
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

All Them Witches at the Brudenell - great set, marred only by the usual Brudenell problem of 50% of the audience needing to talk at full volume throughout the show... I can't understand why people pay to go and shout over the performance of a band that they are not listening to when they could stand in the main bar for free, have easier conversation and more beer money.

The Brudenell's an excellent venue, but the audiences are generally pig ignorant :x
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

And indeed Stars of the Lid at St Mary's Church was spellbinding. Oodles of dry ice, projections that filled the entire vaulted ceiling and played off the Gothic columns, with some pretty special drones.

I don't really know their 'songs' that well, but there was one that evolved into something like a very slow, spacey version of Shine a Light which was just fantastic.

And best of all, just like Lift to Experience there was not a peep - and I mean not a single peep - from the audience throughout. Even the chatty gaggle of younger types that installed themselves in the pew behind me didn't make an audible comment once the band started. Fair play to 'em.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I went to see Explosions in the Sky on Sunday night at the Liverpool Philharmonic courtesy of a free ticket (for the front row!) from Dave Caldwell. I wasn't sure but I think we saw them years ago at a festival in Melbourne. Anyhow, this was the kind of gig I heartily approve of. The band came on and after a brief introduction played for about 80 minutes without any acknowledgement of the audience whatsoever. The sound mix was crystal clear, but we were so close to the stage we were getting a fair bit of the monitor mix for one of the guitarists.

I was very surprised at how physical the performance was, band simply played the hell out of their kit rather than just standing there. The majority of the set was from the new LP, with a few well chosen tunes from the back catalogue (although nothing from the last LP if I am correct). All the songs ran into each other via a series of drones or programmed beats. After a quick thank you, the band walked off, no encore, no fuss.

As an old grumpy bastard it was a novelty not to have people chattering away through the set, or barging in front of you with a round of beers. The comfortable seat did not hurt either!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

olan wrote:
As an old grumpy bastard it was a novelty not to have people chattering away through the set, or barging in front of you with a round of beers. The comfortable seat did not hurt either!
It's the only way to travel these days. Leave the standing/chatting/beer swilling stuff to the youngsters!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Greeny wrote:
It's the only way to travel these days. Leave the standing/chatting/beer swilling stuff to the youngsters!
Absolutely! Feckin' kids...Also, as I am a shortarse, being right up the front in a seated venue allowed me to see the band! :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Steve Mason at the Trades Club, Hebden Bride.

Second time seeing this man in 2016 and another immensely enjoyable set, but with a slightly stripped down 3 piece band this time. That meant he couldn't expand to some of the songs he played in Leeds earlier this year, but he still put on a great show. The combination of Steve's sublime voice and the really excellent acoustic sound he generated was pretty impressive. What's more 3 Beta Band songs appeared - he played none last time - with the highlight for me being a fast-paced and radically-different-to-the-original Dr Baker. So a great set from start to finish.

Bizarrely - and only the 3rd time I have witnessed such a thing in almost 40 years of attending live music - there was a fight in the middle. I am told someone was being obnoxious to someone else who then snapped and hit out. Whatever, the music was stopped and the offending one was immediately ejected in very efficient style by a huge punter standing just near us, and everything calmed down. Prior to that the atmosphere was pretty good but loads of people chattering and texting. The fight caused silence for the following song but gradually the chit chat returned. Whatever, it was still a great night. Seeing him next Friday in Wakefield... Nice to catch up with American and Scottish moderators too!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Glad to make it over the the UK and specifically the Hebden Bridge Trades Club. What a nice town and venue. I have seen the Betas several times and the Aliens as well. This gig was right up there. the sort of stripped down set was really enjoyable and while there were several high points the final song, The Beta Band's Dry the Rain nearly blew the roof off.
Great meet up with Mr & Mrs Runcible, BzaInSpace, and two long time friends from Salford.
Looking forward to Wakefield with Mr & Mrs Runcible and also Mr &Mrs BVCP206.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

PJ Harvey - Falconer Copenhagen.

What a great show.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Angel Olsen last night at Koko in Camden. Mesmerising, sublime, beautiful, powerful, fantastic band and stage presence. Really blew me a way and made me lose myself a good few times during the show. Spell binding woman I must say, quite hard taking your eyes off her, extremely talented and her band had some proper chops. Three guitars made for a big sound when it all kicked in. Snappily dressed in grey suits and white shirts with string ties, except for Angel herself. Her voice is just stunning and there's a definite Roy Orbison/ Twin peaks vibe about her. Sharp witted and funny too.

One great thing about the gig was the total respect from the crowd, you could hear a pin drop during the quiet songs, no chit at all from those around me which is so rare these days. Koko is a really lush venue which added to the extra special vibe of the night. Quite a few young girls with "Angel fringes" in attendance, which was pretty sweet.

May have to catch her again next May at the Roundhouse. Bigger venue so may lose some of the magic of last night but I've waited a long time to see her and the urge to see her again is a strong one.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw Steve Mason at Wakefield's Unity Works on Saturday...

Largely the same set as Hebden Bridge but in a larger less crowded venue. That meant we were right at the front with a truly amazing view. Another excellent night, highly appreciative audience and lots of fun. Set closers Hardly Go Through and Dry The Rain were stupendous, particularly the first of those which built up to a massive droney climax. Spot on.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:Saw Steve Mason at Wakefield's Unity Works on Saturday...

Largely the same set as Hebden Bridge but in a larger less crowded venue. That meant we were right at the front with a truly amazing view. Another excellent night, highly appreciative audience and lots of fun. Set closers Hardly Go Through and Dry The Rain were stupendous, particularly the first of those which built up to a massive droney climax. Spot on.
Yes top night great set list and the guy himself has a great manner about him plenty of banter between songs Thoroughly enjoyable evening :D
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

October has brought:
Yob - Essentially a doom band with elements of stoner, post-rock and prog. Pretty good actually.

Holy Fuck - Had seen this lot a number of times before and swore that I was done with them. However it had been four or five years since they last played so I ignored my gut instinct and went along anyway. Left me in the odd position of thinking "God, this is so noughties". I am definitely, unequivocally, without doubt, done with them now.

Le Butcherettes - Mexican three-piece whose starting point appears to be PJ Harvey's 'Dry' and then take it from there into punky directions or something to dance to. Great frontwoman in Teri GenderBender, hard to take your eyes off her. Kind of band that could pick up a lot of fans if given the right slot at a festival.

Cate Le Bon - First time in Ireland with a band. Hard to describe, she reminded me in places of Broadcast or Stereolab and others that I couldn't quite put a name to, yet she sounded like none of them. I suppose the tester is whether I'd go see her again and to that question the answer would have to be Yes.

Yak - Three young fellas on a garage, psych, grunge trip. Maybe a bit of prog in there too. Much better than I was expecting to be honest. Fantastic fuzz bass at times, really thick and dirty. Singer plays guitar and keyboards and knows how to use his pedals. Far from the finished article but there is potential there.

Was hoping to see Killing Joke this weekend but have to go see a mates new band the same night instead. Ho-hum.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:Saw Steve Mason at Wakefield's Unity Works on Saturday...

I cant seem to get these two Steve Mason shows I saw out of my head. Why does he not get more press? Meet The Humans is my album of the year.
It is so nice to walk out of two shows at completely different venues with that same satisfied smile on my face.
Hebden Bridge was sold out and packed. Small room.
Wakefield Unity Works was about 4 times the size of Hebden Bridge with the same size crowd which meant you could easily move around and stand a few feet from the stage. Great crowd and great venue as well. The encore at this show, as Runcible mentioned, was stunning. Especially Hardly Go Through. It took on this intense life of its own.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Saw Goat at Glasgow ABC last Friday

The ABC while being a great venue has this weird thing where it turns into a nightclub around 11-ish which means it has a sort 10.15-ish kinda curfew, not a bad thing really for us older dudes but it does mean its not the first time I`ve missed the start of a set kicking off at 8pm and catching supports becomes nigh on impossible so only managed to catch the last 2/3 songs of Josefin Orhn, seemed to go down pretty well from what I could tell.
Goat were superb though, place nicely filled up and after a few songs for the audience to adjust to what was going on onstage, spontaneous dancing breaking out all over the venue and the irresistable sound of Goat, couldn`t have asked for more, a full on spectacle and a big cheeser grin, must mention the bass player, he was just super to watch big Entwistle-ish runs up and down fretboard. A different proposition live to on record where the singing/chanting can grate at times but its all just part of the whole live vibe, best £15 spent in a good while.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Wooden Shjips: Brudenell

very cool and very deadly.

some time spent chattin with all of them afterwards around influence and its connotations,....top night

https://www.mixcloud.com/RedLightRadio/ ... y-johnson/
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hedspace wrote:Wooden Shjips: Brudenell

very cool and very deadly.
I was at that show too.

You know what you're going to get with the Shjips - catchy rhythms with a thick layer of fuzzy guitar over it all. Death Is Not Your Friend at the end was tremendous. The sound was truly superb too - so clear. Hats off to Nathan on the desk for that Took my 18 year old who enjoyed herself - bit of a contrast to her normal Panic At The Disco and Bring Me The Horizon soundtrack... Most enjoyable all round.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Liverpool music week closing party at Invisible Wind Factory
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haven't updated this thread in a while.. part 1..

Goat at Manchester Albert Hall
an excellent value lineup of current psych favourites, made a day of it in Manchester with Aquarian Time and Gaz and had a superb time.

can't remember too much about Josefin Ohn- a little trippy and a little poppy I think, good to warm up with.

Mugstar were a new discovery for me, apparently missing a member but I was impressed. the drummer is really good, they had a powerful and very rhythmic way of delivering their psych.

Jane Weaver was okay, it was quite good to have something a bit poppy to break it up and her sound is quite lush and well put together, but can get boring at times as the songs don't really go anywhere or have much dynamics.

Hookworms played mainly new material, their first show in a while and they did seem a little rusty. the sound was a bit iffy and a lot of the new material seemed to be build around synths (they wheeled on a proper bulky old school synth set up) but still in the same mould- quite droney.

Goat were excellent- better than the LPF show but not quite as good as the awesome ATP set. aside from all the trimmings like the masks etc the music itself is just excellent and they way they lock in together- I particularly love those basslines. I know the new album isn't everyone's cup of tea but the softer songs were slotted into the set perfectly. there were a couple of flutes but no panpipes to be seen.

Supersonic Festival Launch Party
The festival may have taken a year off, but they put on this little bash in anticipation of a lineup announcement for next year. I went to the Friday night. Mothwasp were on first- a drums and guitar duo with a kind of jagged and noisy sound. it was okay but only really got going a couple of times for me.
Sex Swing were good, a slab of guitar noise mixed with shouty vocals and a sax wailing over the top. they really built up a head of steam at times, it almost got a bit motorik but with a darker feel.

Xylouris White were excellent. this is a duo of Jim White (drummer from Dirty Three) and George Xylouris who is a Cretan lute player. there was obviously elements of the Dirty Three with Jim's drum style which seems to be all over the kit with free jazz feel but also sounding so natural in how it unfolds. I could watch him drum forever. The way the two locked in was great.. two masterful musicians creating music which really transported me at times.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Double header this week, although it seems like there is an endless list of shows i'm going to just now... (i'm actually getting to the stage of enjoying a sit down gig :lol: )

Last night was one of the 25th anniversary celebration shows for Glasgow's Nice & Sleazys featuring a rare solo "ukulele" set from Lou Barlow, on the eve of Dino Jr.'s Glasgow show. He hasn't played Sleazys since he did a three night residency many many years ago and he was "honoured" to be back playing there.

First up we had a real gem of a local artist, Chrissy Barnacle, who is one of the unknown gems of the Glasgow scene. Looking like a young Joni Mitchell, she tells acoustic tales of love and loss and of "eating a whole box of cornetto ice creams". Her guitar playing is stunning and her quirky little songs make you smile and think. Seen her a few times now and she's just bloody brilliant.

Next up we had one of the grandfathers of the Scottish indie rock scene, Eugene Kelly, playing an acoustic set. Half a dozen songs or so from across all of his career (The Vaselines, Captain America/Eugenius and his solo material) including a beautiful version of "Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" and a rousing "Molly's Lips" but highlight of the night would have to be the opening "River Clyde Song" which is one of my all-time favourites... just him, an acoustic guitar and his harmonica. Classic after classic after classic... must be good to have such a back catalogue that you can pull out of where every track is just sublime!

Finally we had Lou Barlow. Having never seen him before, and only having a rough familiarity of his solo material i wasn't quite sure what to expect. He whipped out a wee tiny notebook and just started playing a random selection of tracks from over the years, mostly his solo material but interjected with Sebadoh and Dino Jr songs before switching to his ukulele and playing a bunch of his new solo album. He kept us entertaining between songs with endless crazy tales of his life including "chasing the dragon" with Evan Dando, coming home from a tour to find his girlfriend in bed with their lawyer ("...i just climbed into the bed beside them before telling him you better get out of here..."), living in LA with the Hollywood high-flyers ("...with their beautifully crafted calf muscles...") and how a beautiful song he wrote for his sister's wedding was turning into a nasty, amphetamine-fuelled rocker much to the shock of his parents! Luckily, we got the beautiful version.
With his songs all being quite short, we got over 90mins of material and it just felt like he played forever. He took rwquests from the audience when he ran out of his own. We got great songs like Rebound, Skull, The Freed Pig, On Fire, Too Pure, Vampire plus many many more.
He was rusty and forgot the lyrics and chords of a few songs (he stopped playing one song to go back to play the miising verse of the previous track at one point :lol: ) but he kept everything flowing with his banter and stories. I never realised just how fucked up the guy had been over the years but i suposed that's all fuel for the music.

An incredible (school) night. Best i've had in a long time with three such amazing artists. Now, for Dinosaur Jr... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: