What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote: when they did the noise holocaust it was somehow even louder than last time- when they broke back into the song it sounded like a whisper in comparison. it's amazing to me how, even though i know what to expect in my mind, the impact of being swallowed up by all of that noise is never dulled. .
that's exactly what happened when I saw them too. when they went back into the song proper of YMMR it sounded really distant. I'm jealous that they played Sometimes.. did it work live?

and redcloud, what a great experience for your son- a low key, almost secret show, and he got a setlist! Half Full Glass of Wine is a great song and really impressed me when I watched their Glasto set on TV.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

redcloud wrote: Tame Impala ... their music seems overly complex to me....it veers left, right, backwards etc. at the drop of a hat.
This pretty much summarizes how I feel about them. Glad you were able to get in with your son, though. I'm sure he was thrilled.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:I'm jealous that they played Sometimes.. did it work live?
it did! deb played an electric guitar, colm played an acoustic and bilinda played the keyboard part. i was hoping they'd play it- but it was still a surprise.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw The Icarus Line in Leeds last night.

By the end there were around 20 people watching... I've seen a few sparsely attended shows this year but this was pretty weird. That said it didn't seem to faze the band who put on a set of truly terrifying ferocity. The opening track - whatever the fuck it was, I recognised almost nothing from the set - was a display of totally devastating power and intensity. Razor sharp riffs pounded like there was no tomorrow and in the midst Joe Cardomone's throat-driven vocals added to the blistering onslaught. His voice was a massive part of the brutal noise the band produced - unintelligible howls and bellows accompanied the twin guitar attack in impressive fashion. Even the lower tempo songs were super heavy, but when they went for a punkier faster approach the result was astonishing.

I thought Mugstar knew how to pummel but they have nothing on The Icarus Line who are about as intense as that sort of music gets. Kind of hard to describe - I've seen them labelled as 'post-hardcore' which must mean something. Very punk at times but with huge sheets of guitar noise all over it, occasional buzzy riffing and Cardomone's monstrous vocals on top. Everything really heavy and aggressive. It worked really well and the few of us in attendance all loved it. I believe most of the set came from their new album which I need to investigate more. I'd heard how devastating they were meant to be live so I took a punt and I was very well rewarded.

Got chatting to the drummer after who, to my surprise, was English. Very friendly and chatty, but you could tell the low number of attendees was a little disappointing as he said they 'couldn't play an encore for that few people'. As we stood talking Joe Cardomone came over and introduced himself and he seemed happy with the set and was really enthusiastic about the venue and the sound. My ears are ringing like hell this morning and it felt very loud at the time, so he was right about that bit. I ended up apologising for the ridiculously low number of people. No idea if these boys have played in Leeds before but it was a shame that a well-established band could attract so few. Mark Lanegan can sell out a posh auditorium on a Sunday night but a scuzzy Leeds venue can only shift 25 or so tickets for a band that have been going for something like 15 years. Joe talked about the rest of their European tour - it sounds like they are working really hard with endless long road trips on what looked like a crazy schedule. Not a lot of time off it seems, but they when they can get rid of that aggression on stage it can only make their performances even more intense. Highly recommended for those into the likes of The Heads, Mugstar, Mudhoney, Carlton Melton, Hookworms.... They have more dates in mid November - Germany, Holland, and even London and Sheffield. I may be tempted by that final date!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice write up there Runcible. I have literally just got into the Icarus Line myself funnily enough- bought Penance Soiree and although the punky/hardcore aspects of their sound are not elements I usually go for, there's something about the scuzzy guitars that draws me in. I would definitely like to see them live. was disappointed they got added to the first ATP weekend, rather than the Loop one.

what you said about low attendance has made me realise I forgot to post about the Mark Stewart (Pop Group frontman) gig I saw a couple of weeks back..
I thought the 20 or so people at a Sleepy Sun show I attended was hard to beat, but this was even more sparse. similar amount of people but in a much bigger venue.
the band still put on a very energetic and aggressive show (Mark is particular is a force of nature and soo tall, a big presence in every sense), but the atmosphere in the room can't help but suffer. his solo stuff is kind of a melting pot of dub, electronic and rock. the sound was nice and big and chunky and Keith Levene guested on a couple of songs (one of which was a strange cover of Bowie's Letter to Hermione) but I couldn't hear him that clearly (as far as I could see he was playing very straight and clean guitar with no effects at all so it kind of got lost in the mix).
I know the solo project of a band that are pretty 'cult' anyway is hardly going to get a big crowd but I thought more would be there. is it the promoters fault.. not enough promo? booked the wrong venue? I can't remember the last time I went to a gig that was SOLD OUT to be honest. at least it's never a problem to get tickets :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

re the icarus line (& leeds)

i am a big fan of the band & followed them since stumbling across them on buddyhead at the turn of the century.

the first time i saw them was at leeds festival in 2002. but they'd played a club venue there prior to the festival.

i caught them a few yrs back i belfast after they'd signed to v2 & aaron north had left for nine inch nails & were supporting the lemonheads. i got talking to joe after the show & he was a bit downbeat & not really happy w/how things were working out. i got the impression he was hoping they'd have been bigger than they were or that they were getting the support from the label they'd wanted & they were too keen on evan dando as a touring partner.

but then i mentioned to him i'd seen them at leeds in 2002 & he perked up.
he mentioned the club they'd played & he said how it was one of his favourite performances.
i then kinda burst his bubble when i told him that no it was the festival i'd caught them at.
so it doesn't surprise me they have an affinity w/the place.

however i think they try to put on a great abrasive show wherever they play. it's just the attitude of the band.

have to say i enjoy all their releases but Penance Soiree is one of my favourite rock albums of this century. that moment when Getting Bright At Night crashes back in on itself w/the immortal question, "got no soul?"
the whole album is just a revisionist masterclass in re-writing hard rock's greatest cliches but they pull it off thru the sheer force of their nature.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Busy week for live music here.

I went to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel in Harrogate last night... I should explain that I know a couple of the band so always go and support them when they are in town. This line up has been together for something like 13 years so a pretty stable and solid bunch. If you were to add up the combined decades of seasoned experience these guys have it'd make quite a total. As a result they are incredibly tight yet leave space for each other to do their own thing when called upon. This band can play alright. So some great solo moments from keyboards, guitar and violin mixed in with the classics kept the crowd entranced for over 2 1/2 hours. Steve is a great frontman who loves to tell a story when he gets the chance - usually along the lines of him being old, forgetting lyrics or some sort of mid-life outrage at the state of things today. He's excellent value. Played all the hits of course - Sebastian, Here Comes The Sun, Judy Teen and, best of all and saved til the end, Make Me Smile which had everyone on their feet, jumping about.

Quality entertainment, an appreciative crowd and great acoustics in Harrogate's Royal Hall. The venue has this team of women photography police - their sole job it seems is to creep up on anyone with a camera and tell them off. It became quite funny watching a camera go on and then these stealthy ladies would pounce on the unsuspecting photographer. Somewhat heavy handed it seemed. Whatever, lots of fun...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Speaking of low attendance figures at gigs, last week I went to see Gary War supported by the Purple Pilgrims. Including myself there was an audience of 5!
Both acts only played 15 minutes each. Don't know if that was normal or they'd just had enough. I'd have asked for my money back only for the fact there was so few of us there.

I'm going to have to listen Icarus Line again. Saw them around 2000 I think, and in my head I remember them as being more garage rock, yet the album was more straight rock, if that makes sense, and not particularly good.

Is there another band with a similar name (not Ikara Colt) as I could be getting them confused with someone else.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:Saw The Icarus Line in Leeds last night.

By the end there were around 20 people watching... I've seen a few sparsely attended shows this year but this was pretty weird. That said it didn't seem to faze the band who put on a set of truly terrifying ferocity.
I saw the Aliens play a gig like that in Detroit. There were maybe 25 people. Did not faze the band at all. They were absolutely mind blowing. About 3/4 thru their set I turned around there were like 200 people in the venue. Why?
The Beastie Boys played a show in Detroit that night and a lot of fans followed their tour bus to the venue the Aliens were playing. They must have thought there was going to be an unannounced after show gig. Instead they were bowling downstairs. At least it expanded the Aliens exposure for half an hour.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Is there another band with a similar name (not Ikara Colt) as I could be getting them confused with someone else.
Dunno - not heard of anything like that. I also find The Icarus Line's albums patchy although there are many excellent songs in their catalogue. But live.... woah... just extraordinary. I'm planning on going to the Sheffield show in just under 2 weeks...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

mbv... holy shit... will post more tomorrow, just got done w/ a radio broadcast from 330-5am, so I'm about to crash (can't imagine the "elders" getting down with the time slot... it's sort of fun though)... anyways, my bloody valentine were amazing. write up soon.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Well Ms Staples held us in the palm of her hand last night / a theater packed full of enthusiasm and love.

She really is a cut-up, too. Told a story how the Devil was after her left knee, almost kept her from touring, but she had surgery and beat the Devil, but then he started hitting on her right knee. She probably tells this every gig, but boy she made the crowd laugh and laugh. What a smooth Lady.

"Too close" was a real treat, as was "I'll Take You There" and I wish there'd been more classic Staples material and fewer covers, even though every single number was stellar.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Hofstadter wrote:mbv... holy shit... will post more tomorrow, just got done w/ a radio broadcast from 330-5am, so I'm about to crash (can't imagine the "elders" getting down with the time slot... it's sort of fun though)... anyways, my bloody valentine were amazing. write up soon.
i think the best thing about seeing mbv is how 'holy shit' sums the whole thing up perfectly.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ro wrote:Well Ms Staples held us in the palm of her hand last night / a theater packed full of enthusiasm and love.

She really is a cut-up, too. Told a story how the Devil was after her left knee, almost kept her from touring, but she had surgery and beat the Devil, but then he started hitting on her right knee. She probably tells this every gig, but boy she made the crowd laugh and laugh. What a smooth Lady.

"Too close" was a real treat, as was "I'll Take You There" and I wish there'd been more classic Staples material and fewer covers, even though every single number was stellar.
yeah, she's very funny. no wonder dylan proposed to her. when i saw her i was lucky enough to see her sister there too, who unfortunatly passed away recently. you are sat there and she is going 'o yes pop wrote this song whilst we were chatting with dr king and making ofcolour jokes...' whaaaaaa?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow, that's great you got to see her together with her sister!
I think she has a niece with her now, which was great, the entire band was really fantastic.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Anyone going to a mbv US gig? Have a huge favore to ask, will def. Make it worth your while. It regards picking up sone merch. Pretty please?

Please pm me
Last edited by burningwheel on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

saw jane birkin last night playing african/eastern reinterpretations of serge g songs. what a wonderful evening and what a lovely lady. she seemed genuinly moved by the love of the fans. she mostly played the album Arabesque and the second encore was an accapella version of la javanaise. she spoke movingly of s.g and said that she was touring his music to say thank you to him, as she never had when she was alive. great night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pm4pYcrr5A

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sounds great! Would love to have seen that show, but it seems to be an almost exclusively french tour.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Might have messed the order a little bit, but that's everything.

absolutely rad. got there nice and early and there was still a big line. openers were dumb numbers - sort of sludgy stuff, was not all that into it but was not bad either. I think everybody was pretty much there for one reason and so was just thinking "hurry up already" - at least that's the feeling I got from the crowd during that set. whatever. opening for my bloody valentine, what else would you expect. Lou Barlow and Murph have played in dumb numbers, so was not too surprised to see J Mascis watching the whole show from the side of the stage.

I was talking to a guy who worked at the House of Blues and he said that they broke the decibel record for the venue, which was previously 112, during sound check.... :D :D The start of the set was not that loud though. It was really just noise holocaust (probably 5-7 minutes? who knows my eyes were closed) that got loud... and man did it get loud. Felt like I was in a jet engine. either my ears got totally fucked or they messed up the sound system, but the last minute of ymmr sounded horrible haha. no ear plugs no regrets...

I was ecstatic when they opened w/ sometimes. that was the first mbv song I ever heard (and probably also my favorite?), so starting with it was just special for me. Really that whole opening four song sequence was super joyful. "I Only Said" was really cool in the way the main part was super staccato and metallic sounding. Thorn was also super happy and ecstatic and I wanted to be dancing a ton - it was sort of a bummer that the crowd was super crowded and simultaneously still, felt like overall the set was super conducive to movement. Whatever.

All the MBV songs were pretty amazing live I thought. Not sure what to say about them, but they actually might have been my favorite - they were just all super complex and dense but still crystal clear.

Moving from To Here Knows When to Wonder 2 to Soon was a pretty great trio.

Thorn was a beauty. All the Isn't Anything songs sounded totally different I thought...

I don't really know what to say... yeah just holy shit, it was fun, it was entrancing, the music sounded amazing... what more could you ask for?

Setlist
Sometimes
I Only Said
When You Sleep
New You
You Never Should
Honey Power
Cigarette in Your Bed
Only Tomorrow
Come in Alone
Only Shallow
Thorn
Nothing Much to Lose
Who Sees You
To Here Knows When
Wonder 2
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Wooden Shjips/Cave- Lager House Detroit
Very crowded. Very hot.
I had seen Cave on the Neverendless tour. Wow!
Not so keen on the jazz oriented direction of the new lp. Some of the songs were great. Others just didn't do it for me. No idea of song names as I dont own the new lp.
Wooden Shjips I had never seen. Moon Duo I have seen. They were great but started sounding samey after about song 5. So I bolted.
Did pick up this tho
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Wooden-Shj ... _906wt_931
I am not selling it and this is not my ebay listing. There are several pix in this listing that still dont do the packaging justice. The die cut slipcase is outstanding.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was at the CAVE/Wooden Shjips Chicago gig. CAVE were great, but not quite as good as they were a month ago at El Mamey. I do like the jazzy stuff on the new LP, though. In fact, I think Threace is their best album, without a doubt. My sentiments about W.S. mirror Alan's. They're awesome, but it gets old fast. I'm spinning the new album (bought the deluxe version minus the 7") right now and am enjoying it. The track that's on at the moment is acoustic based, which, as far as I know if something new for them. It's definitely their most well-produced album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Shjips seem like such genuinely nice guys and I do like their last 3 records. Part of my reasoning is I was looking for a reason to leave. It was so packed and uncomfortable. And these people just pushing thru to the front even though there was no room. That just pisses me off.
As I stated in a round of private emails with other board members today I think my gig days are pretty much dwindling down to a few a year. I admire those who go to tons of gigs. I used to. During my record shop years I must have seen close to 100 gigs per year(an average) over a 10 year span. Maybe I am burning out.
I do love supporting touring bands. Bought two copies of that limited edition vinyl bundle because I knew someone that would want one.
Gonna pass on Mazzy Star this week. Saw them two or three times back in the 90's. I'll live with those memories.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:The Shjips seem like such genuinely nice guys and I do like their last 3 records. Part of my reasoning is I was looking for a reason to leave. It was so packed and uncomfortable. And these people just pushing thru to the front even though there was no room. That just pisses me off.
As I stated in a round of private emails with other board members today I think my gig days are pretty much dwindling down to a few a year. I admire those who go to tons of gigs. I used to. During my record shop years I must have seen close to 100 gigs per year(an average) over a 10 year span. Maybe I am burning out.
I do love supporting touring bands. Bought two copies of that limited edition vinyl bundle because I knew someone that would want one.
Gonna pass on Mazzy Star this week. Saw them two or three times back in the 90's. I'll live with those memories.
I hear you, it was like pulling teeth to get myself out of the house to go see My Bloody Valentine last night in Philly. The tickets were paid for and I didn't want to waste them but I was sort of dreading going. The venue was packed and we ended upstairs in the very very back of the venue but at least we could see the band. It worked out and we were comfortable but the sound wasn't the best because it was bouncing off the back wall behind us. It was still a good show with a great set list. I used to love going to shows, but not so much anymore...maybe it's an age thing. My other half feels the same way. :?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Do you guys feel bummed that you know longer feel excited to go to shows all the time, or does it seem like not that big a deal and you are cool with that change? Just curious.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Speaking as one of the, ahem, elders of the board I have similar feelings about gigs that are oversold. I hate shows that are packed out and squashed - the last Shjips show I saw at Manchester's Sound Control was horrible and I had to sit in the foyer watching it on a TV. I should have left really.

On the other hand I find myself as excited about live music as I ever was. Gigs that hit the spot give me so much pleasure. The Icarus Line were so fantastic recently that I am going to see them again in Sheffield next week. So I feel I'll be going to shows for the foreseeable future, but there are certain venues I'll avoid, and, in the same way, there are other venues that can make a band more attractive as you know it'll be handled well even if its full.

I have tickets for Loop, and the Shjips coming up and might try and get to Manchester for Dead Skeletons, possibly Jonathan Wilson too. And I feel some excitement about all of them.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote:Do you guys feel bummed that you know longer feel excited to go to shows all the time, or does it seem like not that big a deal and you are cool with that change? Just curious.
Nope Sam.
I'll glady pass this onto you. I have see lord knows how many shows over the years. I even admire how many gigs Runcible goes to. Compared to me anyway. Its a lot easier for me. I just hop in my car and go. A lot harder in the UK with missing the last bus etc.
The odd thing is this makes me even more passionate about music. I tend to seek out more. This is where my entertainment $$ go now. I know that is something that will never slow down in my life.
There are certain shows i would never miss. Hell, I still travel to go see Spiritualized.
This has also happened with sports. I used to have Detroit Red Wings season tickets and Detroit Tigers tickets. Now I would rather watch on a big screen high definition TV at my house or someone elses. Much less hassle. Plus you get all the replays. No line for bathroom either. :wink:
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

There was plenty of room to dance about at the Omar Souleyman gig at the Arches on Sat. and that's how it should be :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:Do you guys feel bummed that you know longer feel excited to go to shows all the time, or does it seem like not that big a deal and you are cool with that change? Just curious.
Problem with gigs these days is:

1. over sold and uncomfortable.
2. when needing to go to the loo or get another drink - people are assholes. Trying to get yourself back to your friends or your other half is a fucking nightmare.
3. the ridiculously tall person who inevitably ends up standing in front of you. I'm 5'10 so I'm not short but why is it that somebody 6'4 is always in front of me?
4. cellphones! It really pisses me off when people are constantly taking photos or video. The light is distracting and their arms are constantly raised blocking your vision.

Saying that - I too, like runcible, still get a super rush when going to a show and if it turns out to be as good, or better, than expected it always confirms to me that live music really is one of life's greatest pleasures. But, I will take a gig in a 300 capacity venue over a festival or an arena/stadium any day! My days of going to major concerts are long gone. The largest concert I will probably go to (unless taking my kids to something they want to see) is probably about 3500 capacity. The Black Crowes are playing at a venue that is approx. this big. It is a beautiful old theatre though and the atmosphere is quite special. No matter where you are you also have good sound and sight. This really is the largest concert I will choose to pay money to see.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

redcloud wrote:
Hofstadter wrote: get another drink - people are assholes. Trying to get yourself back to your friends or your other half is a fucking nightmare.
it anoys me when people get up to get a drink- i think you have paid £x to be here and you are going to walk away during it just for a drink?!

i can't stand phones at gigs, or people talking. i generally go to seated gigs where people sit for the show and then go to the toilet or bar in the interval, not during the show

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

redcloud wrote:Problem with gigs these days is:

1. over sold and uncomfortable.
2. when needing to go to the loo or get another drink - people are assholes. Trying to get yourself back to your friends or your other half is a fucking nightmare.
3. the ridiculously tall person who inevitably ends up standing in front of you. I'm 5'6 so I'm a short-arse but why is it that somebody 6'4 wearing a fucking hat is always in front of me?
4. cellphones! It really pisses me off when people are constantly taking photos or video. The light is distracting and their arms are constantly raised blocking your vision.
Adjusted that post to suit my own needs, but otherwise I agree with all other sentiments though!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

all those issues are valid niggles, but not usually enough to derail the enjoyment of a great gig!
the people that try and muscle down to the front as soon as the gig starts are indeed scum. if you got early and got a good spot, you deserve to keep it.. and the cellphone/ipad wielders. but c'mon, a great gig takes you away from all that!

I must be going to the wrong gigs though, as it's been a long time I've been to one that's been 'oversold'!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Can't add anything to this - I haven't actually been to a live gig since Primal Scream in Bonny Dunoon's Queen's Hall... last June!

That's like 18 months ago!!

I need to quickly add that this isn't a deliberate choice, nor have I secretly joined "The Elders"...

Simply: we moved 'upriver', nearest city Aberdeen is shit for bands and touring, and most importantly our little boy prefers vinyl...
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Beady Eye at the Glasgow Barrowlands last night, it was a strange one , Liam Gallagher impersonators of all shapes, ages & sizes was actually quite comical , a pretty heavy police presence which I haven`t seen for some time at a gig- pre warned before entering to be on the lookout for pickpockets!!! saw the same guy light up a fag on 3 separate occasions ,must have forgot about the ban, its only been in force for 6 yrs.
Beady Eye , they were loud, Andy Bell was playing lead guitar and teasing some great sounds out, Liam was inpretty good voice, better than I thought he would be .I know their 1st album pretty well & the songs of it sounded good especially the singles, not so familiar with the 2nd album , some `experimental ` type stuff for them that wasn`t really made up most of the rest of the set, putting one of these Oasis bside- by- numbers, numbers next to a thumping version of Live Forever was a pretty bad idea, finished up with a totally random and pedestrian version of Gimme Shelter was baffling really ,but the audience who a large number had been throwing pints around for a good hour anda half semed to get of on it, its was a free night out for me as I got a ticket and a ride there and back, but no, not really my cup of tea :?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

niamhm wrote:Beady Eye at the Glasgow Barrowlands last night, it was a strange one , Liam Gallagher impersonators of all shapes, ages & sizes was actually quite comical , a pretty heavy police presence which I haven`t seen for some time at a gig- pre warned before entering to be on the lookout for pickpockets!!! saw the same guy light up a fag on 3 separate occasions ,must have forgot about the ban, its only been in force for 6 yrs.
Beady Eye , they were loud, Andy Bell was playing lead guitar and teasing some great sounds out, Liam was inpretty good voice, better than I thought he would be .I know their 1st album pretty well & the songs of it sounded good especially the singles, not so familiar with the 2nd album , some `experimental ` type stuff for them that wasn`t really made up most of the rest of the set, putting one of these Oasis bside- by- numbers, numbers next to a thumping version of Live Forever was a pretty bad idea, finished up with a totally random and pedestrian version of Gimme Shelter was baffling really ,but the audience who a large number had been throwing pints around for a good hour anda half semed to get of on it, its was a free night out for me as I got a ticket and a ride there and back, but no, not really my cup of tea :?
reminds me of when i saw ian brown a few years ago. before the floor was soaked with water where people had vomited water after taking E. plus i saw oasis a few years ago too and i started near the front an then slid back there are only so many topless 'youths' trying to fight everyone that one can put up with. when the bamd came on everyone surged forward and broke the barrier- so whilst they repaired it they started showing shots of girls in the audience showing their bras...it was an interesting expierence...

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

every band gets the audience they deserve ;)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote: 3. the ridiculously tall person who inevitably ends up standing in front of you. I'm 5'10 so I'm not short but why is it that somebody 6'4 is always in front of me?
4. cellphones! It really pisses me off when people are constantly taking photos or video.
angelsighs wrote: the people that try and muscle down to the front as soon as the gig starts are indeed scum. if you got early and got a good spot, you deserve to keep it.. and the cellphone/ipad wielders.
I'm sure people are getting taller. Or more tall people are going to gigs than used to! My girlfriend must be about 5'2 and it's a nightmare for her. I remember seeing Antibalas in a small venue and there was an incredibly tall man, must've been 6'7, and he had the good grace to stand at the back. I was chatting to him and he told me this was a conscious decision he had made so as not to ruin anyone's enjoyment. Fair play to him.

Those pricks that muscle in at the last minute are total wankers. And usually tall.

Ipads. Fucking bizarre isn't it? As annoying as phones are who the fuck brings an ipad to a gig?!!! :shock: :evil: :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote:Ipads. Fucking bizarre isn't it? As annoying as phones are who the fuck brings an ipad to a gig?!!! :shock: :evil: :roll:
Probably the same people who wear backpacks to gigs!

Can't tell you how many shows I have been to in the past few years where people have their backpacks stuffed to the brim with what must be their life possessions. Then, they push in front with their space intrusive backpack hitting everybody around them and they act as if they could care less about how annoying it is. Soon enough they have their phones/Ipads out, facebooking/instagramming about the gig or videoing it. If you ride your bike to a gig - great, good for you. I'm glad you are healthy and green. But, nobody needs to take a backpack inside a tight venue and if so, at least check it at the door with the coats. Otherwise, you're just being selfish so, grow up and be a bit more considerate of others.

Anyway, in 2013 it would seem obvious to me that a backpack in a tightly packed place isn't wise and potentially a security issue.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I have the perfect alternative to the backpack- the manbag!! it's at your side so not in anyone's way, and also easy to access to get things out
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

angelsighs wrote:I have the perfect alternative to the backpack- the manbag!! it's at your side so not in anyone's way, and also easy to access to get things out
Haha. I have a murse, I don't take it to gigs or use it much though!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

CAVE
cause that's really what the night was all about for me, not the shjips.

another "holy shit" show - my ears weren't even finished ringing from the last one!!!

Openers Ghostbox Orchestra were okay but I feel no interest in writing about them write now.

I was hoping Cave would play plenty of stuff from Psychic Psummer in particular, but Cooper started out with just "We're Cave, we're from Chicago, and this is our new record" - and then they immediately launched into all of Threace. DOPE, totally fine by me, it's all sick... They played it slightly out of order - Silver Headband --> Arrow's Myth --> Sweaty Fingers --> Slow Bern --> Shikaakwa. They played for just barely over an hour :D

Blew my brainz out. The ending section of Sweaty Fingers was insane, seemed to stretch on and on, with the bassist keeping it SO tight - they seriously have to be the best rehearsed band I've seen I think - the way on a dime they would pass the lead perfectly from sax to one guitar to another guitar... - Arrow's Myth 3/4 (12/8?) was sounded crazy cool, the drummer was absolutely rad. Slow Bern is probably my favorite track on Threace so far, and the bassist once again was awesome here with this really cool, super fast, super high pitched arpeggio that I have no idea how he maintained for as long as he did. Cooper Crain was, as I'm sure yall might have guessed, totally killing it - also couldn't heap enough praise on the guy playing flute/sax - so dope. The pat in Arrow's Myth where it snaps into just the descending sax run and nothing else... EPIC! But yeah, his soloing all night long was so killer.

Don't really know what to say but all the songs reached all sorts of diverse destinations but were still super tight and fundamentally monotonous (in the good way), inhabiting some awesome grooves, taking some of the best parts from the material on the record, expanding/reinventing it and adding some new stuff too. Moral of the story: <3 Cave, can't wait to see them again, can't wait for Bitchin Bajas to be here in the spring (according to Cooper afterwards).

Wooden Shjips - so I was going to the show w/ several people from the WHRB - they were all super excited for the shjips and I said to them, just you wait, Cave will blow yr head up and then wooden shjips will just be the come down... they were all thoroughly amazed by Cave and slightly bored by Wooden Shjips. I enjoyed WS though, since I knew that's what would happen. If you already accept that pretty much every Wooden Shjips song is exactly the same, but you also enjoy their formula, then yeah it's fun to mellow out with them playing live. Live, it seems like they just add a longer solo section for Ripley. Who I hear is a dick? Who knows. Visuals were okay, one part had the pupil-sequence from the light trip from 2001 tiled with some other stuff overlaid. If people were moshing/dancing more (it was at a tiny club that seemed like it had good potential for this, but it was a mostly older, bar crowd that didn't seem to be wholly there for the show) it would have been cool since the WS were pretty fast paced and fun, but that's fine. I had a good time, but my following impression of the setlist captures it well:

"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"
"Wooden Shjips Song"

Actually trying to remember it seems impossible. They sounded exactly how I expected them to sound.

CAVECAVECAVECAVECAVE. Yay.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:The Shjips seem like such genuinely nice guys and I do like their last 3 records. Part of my reasoning is I was looking for a reason to leave. It was so packed and uncomfortable. And these people just pushing thru to the front even though there was no room. That just pisses me off.
Great to see you at the show on Saturday Alan and well done on the Spz shirt (my group of elders are looking forward to Mazzy Star on Friday :wink: ).

For anyone who missed out on the Wooden Shjips limited vinyl + 7", I have an unopened set still in the shipping box. Having forgot that I pre-ordered from Thrill Jockey, I picked a set up at the show. So, their up for grabs at cost + actual postage. Just PM me.

Cheers
Last edited by purespace on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote: Live, it seems like they just add a longer solo section for Ripley. Who I hear is a dick? Who knows. .
Nothing could be further from the truth. I spoke to Ripley at length when Moon Duo played here last time. Very cordial and very sweet as is his girlfriend Sanae I think it is. All the Shjips were very approachable at the Lager House gig.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:
Hofstadter wrote: Live, it seems like they just add a longer solo section for Ripley. Who I hear is a dick? Who knows. .
Nothing could be further from the truth. I spoke to Ripley at length when Moon Duo played here last time. Very cordial and very sweet as is his girlfriend Sanae I think it is. All the Shjips were very approachable at the Lager House gig.
I have enjoyed Wooden Shjips every time I've seen them (6 in all) especially the time they became Sonic's last minute backing band. All songs sounding the same? Fuckin fine by me, that shit takes me right there 8) And I can say that Ripley and Sanae are kind, talented and humble folks after hanging with them on a hand full occasions.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Nice! One of my friends was saying he was mean or something but wasn't really explaining why, felt compelled to put that in the post with "who knows?" - glad that some of you guys actually know and can vouch that he is a chill man :).

Yeah, and like you said: "All songs sounding the same? Fuckin fine by me"

Serious question though... does anybody on here disagree with the first half of the statement?

I'm bummed I pre-ordered the deluxe version w/ 7" but it still has not arrived :( Soon!

Also, I'm curious, how do Moon Duo shows compare to Shjips shows for those that have seen both?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I like Moon Duo better. Sanae is easier on the eyes as well..
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

At the show last night, every single band had one dood with an epic beard and really long hair playing guitar standing in the exact same spot on the stage. I wonder if it was a club rule or something.
spzretent wrote: Sanae is better to look at too.
She definitely doesn't have much competition from anyone in the shjips...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

*edit
Last edited by purespace on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Hofstadter wrote:Nice! One of my friends was saying he was mean or something but wasn't really explaining why, felt compelled to put that in the post with "who knows?" - glad that some of you guys actually know and can vouch that he is a chill man :).

Serious question though... does anybody on here disagree with the first half of the statement?

I'm bummed I pre-ordered the deluxe version w/ 7" but it still has not arrived :( Soon!

Also, I'm curious, how do Moon Duo shows compare to Shjips shows for those that have seen both?
Mine arrived from Thrill Jockey day before yesterday, so they're in the mail.
Their sound is now more pop oriented than the former swirly fuzzed out drone with massively reverbed vocals. I'm a big fan of the earlier stuff, *like* the new stuff which seems mined from a more compact vein. Moon Duo influenced the Shjips sound that came after imho.
Moon Duo live: two people making delicious swirly droned out keyboard guitar bliss. Add tripped lights, shake and serve.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

purespace wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:Nice! One of my friends was saying he was mean or something but wasn't really explaining why, felt compelled to put that in the post with "who knows?" - glad that some of you guys actually know and can vouch that he is a chill man :).

Mine arrived from Thrill Jockey day before yesterday, so they're in the mail.
Their sound is now more pop oriented than the former swirly fuzzed out drone with massively reverbed vocals. I'm a big fan of the earlier stuff, *like* the new stuff which seems mined from a more compact vein. Moon Duo influenced the Shjips sound that came after imho.
Moon Duo live: two people making delicious swirly droned out keyboard guitar bliss. Add tripped lights, shake and serve.
Moon Duo now have a drummer, so it is three people making delicious swirly droned out keyboard guitar bliss. The trio version of Moon Duo is much more powerful live and far more capable of "rocking-out" for want of a better description. However, there is something missing as I really liked the cheesy drum tracks that they used to use live....all good though, just different varieties of good!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

mazzy star was last night- the night couldn't have been more perfect if i'd wanted it to be.

their sound mix was absolutely flawless as was their performance. the crowd was so quiet too during the songs. they cheered very enthusiastically between songs, though. i admire them for instituting a no cellphones policy and it seemed to work pretty well. they played an amazing version of 'into dust' which i thought they'd retired live- everyone was so quiet i could hear the hand dryer running in the bathroom out in the hallway.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

shalloboi wrote: 'into dust'
fantastic. well chuffed for tomorrow night.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

purespace wrote:
spzretent wrote:
I have enjoyed Wooden Shjips every time I've seen them (6 in all) especially the time they became Sonic's last minute backing band. All songs sounding the same? Fuckin fine by me, that shit takes me right there 8) And I can say that Ripley and Sanae are kind, talented and humble folks after hanging with them on a hand full occasions.
I'm with Purespace here. I accept the 'samey' criticism levelled at the Shjips but I love them. Just got the new album and it's like another journey into the same territory, but I like that territory so I'm well happy.

I've met Ripley of a number of occasions and even hung out when they played in Tilburg with The Heads all those years ago. Sanae too - in fact I even played some table football with them in Tilburg. On every occasion they could not have been nicer and were always up for photos, drinks and laughter - got some great post-show pics of the Shjips and Sanae when they were at the Brudenell. I also recall spending a chunk of time with Ripley and Sanae when Dave of Optical Sounds interviewed them after their show in York one time. Dave was understandably nervous but the 2 of them were so patient, so kind and gave a really good interview. No idea where the 'dick' label could have come from...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runcible wrote: I'm with Purespace here. I accept the 'samey' criticism levelled at the Shjips but I love them. Just got the new album and it's like another journey into the same territory, but I like that territory so I'm well happy.

I've met Ripley of a number of occasions and even hung out when they played in Tilburg with The Heads all those years ago. Sanae too - in fact I even played some table football with them in Tilburg. On every occasion they could not have been nicer and were always up for photos, drinks and laughter - got some great post-show pics of the Shjips and Sanae when they were at the Brudenell. I also recall spending a chunk of time with Ripley and Sanae when Dave of Optical Sounds interviewed them after their show in York one time. Dave was understandably nervous but the 2 of them were so patient, so kind and gave a really good interview. No idea where the 'dick' label could have come from...
from a dumbass kid on the radio station who was at the show w me and who says stupid shit.... :oops:

back to land finally came!!!! so excited to hear it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I saw Built To Spill last night. I don't know their recorded material very well, but the live show was really stellar. Three guitar attack! They did tremendous covers of Don't Fear The Reaper and How Soon Is Now. Curious if anyone here is a fan.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:I saw Built To Spill last night. I don't know their recorded material very well, but the live show was really stellar. Three guitar attack! They did tremendous covers of Don't Fear The Reaper and How Soon Is Now. Curious if anyone here is a fan.
yeah i really like them. it's not what you're supposed to say, but i think their recent albums are just as good (if not better than) their earlier stuff. his voice may put be an acquired taste, but the guitars are always fantastic on their recordings. i think he basically writes and records all the different layers himself then has to teach it to the band when they tour. It feels like i've been waiting for an eternity for a new album, so hopefully that will materialise at some point. would love to catch them live too someday..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I saw Built To Spill a couple of years back (supporting Dinosaur Jr) and thought they were great. I am a big fan of the interlocking guitars thing and it was even more impressive to see three guitars doing that! nice and clean yet muscular sound.
I do find the voice a bit lacking though. its that whiney mid-range voice that a lot of US indie rock bands have. doesn't do a lot for me but doesn't really detract either.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Re: Built To Spill, I spoke to Doug and Jim after the show. They said they're going to start in on a new record soon, but it probably won't come out until 2015. I guess they have two new band members and they decided to scrap everything they had recorded with the members that left and start fresh.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:Re: Built To Spill, I spoke to Doug and Jim after the show. They said they're going to start in on a new record soon, but it probably won't come out until 2015. I guess they have two new band members and they decided to scrap everything they had recorded with the members that left and start fresh.
damn, that's a long time to wait. though having new guys in the band should make for an interesting album at least...

i like that both BTS and j mascis sometimes end their sets with an extended cortez the killer. if you've got half an hour to spare, here's a battle of the bands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abve2atHs68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9hPFvdDxhY
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Oops I posted in the wrong thread from my phone. Moving it to the other one.
Last edited by Hofstadter on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

haha!
that's awesome, Sam, what a treat!
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Anybody else went to Mazzy Star last night in Detroit? It's about halfway in this tour and, what happened at the very end of the gig aside, I think the band is consistently good throughout the set now. They sounded great together and I just want to see/hear it again. Fingers crossed they do more dates next year..

(+) I wanted to read some of the fans' reviews about the gig but I can't find the forum on Hope Sandoval's official website. Does anyone know what happened to it?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Queens Of The Stone Age last night, a top drawer big rock show and all that entails big light show and stage setting , which was just as well as seat were up in the gods ,been a fav. of mine for a while but haven`t seen them since 2003 for one reason or another , and this is a totally new version of the band to the one I last saw, Nick Oliveri the most obvious change but this band rocks fuc#ing hard , no slouches. Most of this years superb ...Like Clockwork was played leaving plenty of career spanning greatest hits to make up the set, highlights for me Burn The Witch, No One Knows ,Go With The Flow and the ballad Like Clockwork. The venue , the all new ,purpose built Hydro concert hall , looks surreal from outside ,inside its concrete and steel , functional I suppose, but queuing for toilets? not good , the sound was superb, clear and loud, a massive step up from the SECC next door, picked up a nice t-shirt and `Black On Black` RSD version ... Like Clockwork,
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

suskind wrote:(+) I wanted to read some of the fans' reviews about the gig but I can't find the forum on Hope Sandoval's official website. Does anyone know what happened to it?
i think that the band have shut down all unofficial sites- mazzy star boulevard is gone too.

what happened at the end of the detroit show?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

suskind wrote:Anybody else went to Mazzy Star last night in Detroit? It's about halfway in this tour and, what happened at the very end of the gig aside, I think the band is consistently good throughout the set now. They sounded great together and I just want to see/hear it again. Fingers crossed they do more dates next year..

(+) I wanted to read some of the fans' reviews about the gig but I can't find the forum on Hope Sandoval's official website. Does anyone know what happened to it?
Six of us made the trip down. The Detroit show suffered from the incredibly horrible sound system at the Majestic. They need to invest in replacing that blown out PA system; a show like Mazzy should not sound like it did. I'm sure it sounded amazing from the stage monitors - - that was the show we were hoping to hear. Friday night confirmed that we'll not be back to the Majestic until the PA is replaced. Utter crap. And did every asshole in the metro area have to show up for a talk/shout fest? STAY HOME. Between the fight that broke out in the middle of the audience half way through Mazzy's set (beyond belief) and the bald headed ape with jazz hands and swaying lighter, it's a wonder Hope didn't walk off earlier than she did. We were about to get Into Dust when they brought out the violins, but Hope said "we're not paying that right now" because of all the stupid ass yacking going on. That show deserved a much better sound system and an audience that cared. What a missed opportunity. Last night Toronto got 4 encores. Good for them as they clearly showed up to listen to a performance. Check out the band's F-book page for all the banter.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shame about the Mazzy Detroit gig.

I saw Hope solo in 2002 at the Bloomsbury Theatre in London and she came out really late. About an hour or more after the opener. The audience were getting antsy and some started asking ushers who to speak to about refund. When she finally came on some people did not hold back in their displeasure and shouted a few things while others booed. Definitely made for a tense gig and sort of spoiled it.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

The majestic is a shitty venue, the audience were assholes

I doubt the sound system will get replaced. That place is a shit pit. No doors on bathroom stalls etc

They also fucked up by not opening one of their parking lots. Parking was a bitch. Assholes

It pissed me off beyond belief. Toronto got 4 encores? Fuck. I'm sure they will never play detroit again