What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

davedecay
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by davedecay »

Brother JT in Allentown PA on 30 Aug 2014.

Just a few images w/ setlist here

http://imgur.com/a/ZM2Mh

Great set, love seeing our local treasure whenver I can.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

did have a ticket for Acid Mothers Temple, but after a long day at work which already involved a couple of hours driving, I couldn't be arsed... must be getting old.

did decide to get a day ticket for Moseley Folk Festival though. Most of the weekend was the proper folky stuff which I'm not so into, but Friday was more of an 'indie' day. First up was Thurston Moore, he said he was gonna bring his new band with him, but was told it wouldn't really fit in, so it was just him and an acoustic. he was really good, I still think his solo stuff just sounds a bit like Sonic Youth unplugged, but I still enjoyed it.
next up Jimi Goodwin- due to traffic delays his set was unfortunately cut short, it was alright but not great. always liked his bass playing and voice but it lacked the atmosphere of Doves (only one Doves song was played- Last Broadcast). the last song was great and it seemed like the band were only just getting into their stride.
finally Johnny Marr. I'm not so familiar with his solo stuff, there was some immaculate and tasteful guitar playing but I don't buy him as a frontman. he looks cool enough but his voice lacks character and the songs were just okay. it was all a bit workmanlike. The Smiths songs went down a storm, though. for the encore he came on and did an extended, gorgeous intro for Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, before the whole band joined back in. finally there was a big surprise as Billy Duffy from the Cult joined him for a cover of I Fought The Law, then How Soon Is Now, which was brilliant. Billy didn't just chug along but was doing some proper electrifying soloing over the top. it really added to the song, interestingly a song which the Smiths never really nailed live.
all in all a good day out, if no great musical revelations.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bardo Pond, Black Bombaim at Corsica Studios, London...

Black Bombaim were monstrous - I wasn't expecting that level of intensity I must admit but they just pummelled for the tracks I saw although I did miss their opening. Everything sounded good - really ferocious without any let up, and for a trio they really packed a punch. All tracks unknown to me, all instrumental, very impressive.

Bardo Pond opened their set with the classic Limerick. The moment John Gibbons delivered that chord was incredible. I don't know any other guitarist who makes a sound quite as dense and deep as that, but it's the man's signature and he's been at it for over 2 decades so it makes sense he gets it right. The 2nd track was equally gigantic - forgotten what it was - and during the climax they played their trump card which is to keep adding layers of rumbling guitar distortion on top of an already teetering mountain of noise. I've said it before but they just keep finding more noise when it doesn't seem possible that there is any left. Those first 2 songs were worth the entry price alone, and if I am honest they didn't quite manage to equal the level of sonic power displayed in those openers. But this was Bardo Pond, and any Bardo Pond has to be good, and indeed it was. I have seen them play better than that and they still managed to surge past almost any other guitar noise band there is. Part of this is the venue's fault. If the place is full is one of those rooms which suffers badly from having a bottleneck in the middle so if you are not in the main space with the higher ceiling the sound is massively inferior. It was very hot in there so we went for a drink and couldn't get back to the front section and therefore lots of the sound was lost. And it was very full last night.

They did 2 encores, the first of which was the extraordinary Tommy Gun Angel, a vast shimmering thing of astonishing power. The 2nd encore was a full throttle Amen which deteriorated into massive noise which they only just kept under control. A very good set - not quite exceptional but I still loved it. They have a new drummer - no idea who he was but he did the job very nicely. The rest of the line up is the same as it's been for 23 years and what a unit they are....Met up after and they were as sweet and full of smiles as ever. A great band full of great people...

I'm not convinced about Corsica Studios before. A very hefty search policy on entry never feels great but the issues are with any show that sells well or sells out. It's too crowded in the space by the stage for everyone to see and that limits the sound quality as the ceiling gets lower further back. Only a band I am really desperate to see would attract me back there, but then I feel like that about London in general anyway...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Fat White Family at the Electric Ballroom,London.Last thursday night.Lots of sleeze and energy from the band
with a crowd that were really up for a great night.

Friday night Moon Duo at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank. Moon Duo were hypnotic at the all seater venue in London they never dissapoint . Support for this gig were Manchester new band Horrid, instrumental non stop set. Enjoyed this band
and look forward to seeing the progress of same. Not sure about the masks though !

Monday night, Bardo Pond at Corsica Studios,London. What a gig ! From the start of the Black Bombaim set right through
to the second encore from Bardo Pond , EPIC noise. Two very hard working bands. Bardo Ponds Wall of sound,distortion,feedback and drone so loud it was like a ferocious thing coming at you. Black Mombaim a powerful instrumental trio throwing out more great noise to a good appreciative crowd at this gig .
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Moon Duo were exceptional I thought, amazing playing in total darkness with just the visuals. Love the all seating aspect to be honest, really amde the whole presentation and performance stand out as different and always great to go to the southbank area.
Gutted to miss bardo pond but was still recovering from the weekend! :wink:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Woods last night. I'll admit i'm not too bothered about this band but figured i'd check 'em out as I had no intention of seeing them at LPF.
If you like the albums then you'll enjoy the live experience too. For me I was hoping in the live arena they'd play more of their jammed out songs but they only did one, the rest was the 60s Folk-Rock thing that they do, which isn't my cup of tea really. After 50 minutes they stopped, uttering the sentence "We're going to go check out some of Amen Dunes set". Kind of annoying as Amen Dunes were playing another venue in town and i had to choose which gig to go to. I certainly wasn't going to spend another €10 to catch the last bit of Amen Dunes whereas i'm sure Woods would just breeze into the gig. Maybe they normally only play 50 minute sets anyway?
Anyways i've satisfied my curiosity for Woods and won't be bothering going to see them again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Quite a week for me. 2 gigs down and 2 more to go potentially!

I saw Holy Wave and Woodsman at the Brudenell last night. It was the inclusion of Woodsman that made me go and I'm so glad I did.

I counted, including Mrs Runcible and myself, 11 people watching Woodsman when they started up, and maybe just over 20 by the time they finished.. Whatever, they fucking blew my head off. Just fantastic from start to finish, with a really neat and compelling series of fast-paced motorik grooves that had me hypnotized for the duration of their set. A trio of 2 guitars and drums yet the lack of bass wasn't even noticeable as the 2 guitarists just kept up the chaka-chaka-chaka for the 35 ore so glorious minutes they were on stage. I recognised nothing at all but one of the band told me after most of the set was from the new album. A couple of times they cranked it up and the music boiled over into searing noise which sounded absolutely fantastic. And despite the lack of punters the band looked completely relaxed and really into their music. I loved every minute and was sorry when the set was over. But a chat at the merch stall saw me buying all 4 of the slices of vinyl on offer at a great price guitarist Trevor did me. They really were that brilliant.

Holy Wave were also really good but there is no question the night belonged to Woodsman. Holy Wave's brand of psych veers from solid drones to poppier moments. I recognised a few songs but the crowning moment was the closing Albuquerque Freakout which was sensational. Everyone in the band apart from the drummer kept swapping instruments during the set and I couldn't keep up with who was playing what as they constantly changed the set up. Their set was - like Woodsman's - too short at 35 minutes, but then there were 4 bands on the bill. I'm very much a '2 bands only' man and would rather have seen both the bands I saw play double as long.

That must have been the most empty I have ever seen the Brudenell. But the bands were great and the sound absolutely brilliant. Great fun...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Your gigs sounded brilliant Mark, glad they all came good. Except for Corsica itself of course. As I've said before I've been to a few gigs there over the years, horrible location and totally agree about the space there. I saw Sun Araw there last time and luckily got up front early on. You're kind of screwed if you go to the bar or out back for a ciggie as the sight line and sound go down hill quickly.

I'll be checking out Woodsman based on your write up, sound great!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was actually our own Hofstadter who got my interest in Woodsman going again (thanks man!). The new album is really good. They have a Euro tour edition of just 25 in orange vinyl. Got one right here!

Woodsman sound like this:

Fans of CAVE, Wooden Shjips, motorik/kraut etc. would just love these guys live... They play in Brighton TONIGHT! Come on Ads - get yourself along!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Having a play of Woodsman now Mark, cheers for the link. I rather like it, not amazing, but it is good. Certainly takes you away for the duration. Will investigate more so yeah, do as you've offered in your email. Thanks!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice mini psych fest in Rugby last night. never been to the Vault before- very small room with good sightlines wherever you stand. looks like it's usually a nightclub- they used the lazers and everything! :) plus there was the usual psych projections. the turnout was crap though which afffected the atmosphere somewhat. most of the bands set up out onto the floor of the room as there was plenty of space!
first up were Purple Heart Parade- I'd put them in the spacerock category. unlike a lot of psych bands the singer was doing the proper frontman thing- prowling out front of the stage etc. some nice spacey guitars and soundscapes, reminded me of early Verve (although nowhere near as good, but who is?) and, they might not thank me for this, but a band called The Music from a few years back..
next up One Unique Signal, really enjoyed this set. some nice sludgy guitars and noise (particularly on the last song which was pretty epic and built to a satisfying crescendo), with a thick bassy bottom end. the rhythms weren't the usual motorik either.
then the Anteloids.. have to say, wasn't really feeling this. they are not that psych to me, it had more of a country/folk feel, albeit where they vamped a bit on the groove. felt like music for a hoedown. although it wasn't really my cuppa, lent a bit of variety to the night.
finally The Vacant Lots. have to echo most peoples concerns re: this bands originality. they are basically Suicide meets Spectrum. nice and droney, also has a old school rock n roll feel but felt it needs an injection of new ideas.

all in all a bargain night for less than a fiver, and nice way to whet the appetite for Liverpool. One Unique Signal were the highlight for me.
turnout was disappointing though (didn't spot any ex-Spacemen either!)- I moan that bands never come to the Midlands, but this is why, no bugger ever turns upI
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My stint of 3 gigs in 5 nights came to a climax last night...

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band at Hebden Bridge Trades Club.

I have been immersed in fuzzed up psychedelic guitar noise all week. If anyone told me the best show of the 3 would be a 3 piece acoustic - guitar, trumpet, cello, with no percussion or keyboards - I wouldn't have believed them. But so it proved. I can honestly say I have never in my life witnessed a set like this one. The adulation and banter between Michael and the crowd was absolutely incredible. He knew the names of some of the audience and it went back and forth. It reached a point where people were shouting requests and Michael pretty much abandoned the set list and just played anything the crowd shouted out. Sometimes he'd play a few riffs and then say 'sorry - can't get that right' or he'd do just half a song, or turn to the band and say 'let's do this' and give it the proper treatment. Plus he was really sweet and funny with everyone and was a great entertainer.

Of course the amazing music. From the moment he started I knew something special was happening and it just got better and better as it went on. He played Shack tunes, Strands tunes, plus the new songs. Every song was magical in its own way. By the end the crowd were in such an emotional mood the feeling in that room was beyond any atmosphere I have ever known for live music. Endless beaming faces, everyone just loving every moment, and it enveloped me too. He let people from the audience get on the stage and sing - generally they sounded terrible but it didn't matter as it just added to the fantastic vibe in that place. During Lucinda Byre - a song of utter brilliance anyway - I felt a huge surge of emotion in me and just before the end I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. It was that amazing. I thought the feeling I had at The Chills was great but this went way beyond it.

I came away feeling totally elated and almost unable to speak such was the effect the evening had on me. I also realised that Michael Head is a genius. The audience just love him to bits and I felt the same way by the end. What a performer, what a musician. I didn't think that after all the gigs I've been to that an acoustic 3 piece would rate as one of the finest I've seen, but that's how it went. Got to say it again - genius.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Thanks for the write up Mark, sounds like you had an amazing night. You`ve got me jealous now, very jealous, anyway Mick Head has been pretty active recently, so maybe he`ll swing by this neck of the woods sometime soon,

Couldn`t agree more about the genius bit, felt that about him for sometime, shame its a largely unrecognized genius for the most part though.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Last night caught Goat, Lay Llamas and The Trembling Bells in Glasgow.

First time in SWG3 as a venue. Nice space and sound. The art installation and poetry club downstairs reeked of pretentiousness and arseholes, so I don't think I'll be back to them :D

Trembling Bells had a cool Jefferson Airplane thing going on with some good guitar work and some nice freakouts. Enjoyed their set and kicked off the night well.

Lay Llamas I had been unsure of up to now. I had heard a song and wasnt blown away, but had been advised to see them as they worth checking out. I wasn't disappointed as they were superb. Really great sounds and textures with some blistering guitar work and some of the heaviest drums I've heard in a long time. It looked like the drummer was playing with dinosaur bones it was so primal! Really impressed so will seek out the album.

Goat were everything I had hoped and more. Hugely entertaining, bursting with energy and killer fuzzy songs that you just couldn't help but groove with. Nice long set (15 tracks, a about an hour and a half) and it was incredible from start to finish. Nice extended version of Run To Your Mamma and all the new songs were superb but the closer, the last song from World Music, was just a massive thick slab of groove and fuzz. It just went on and on and on... I didn't want it to stop! So, absolutely brilliant. Can't recommend them enough for anyone who's unconvinced by them.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Laz69 wrote:Lay Llamas I had been unsure of up to now. I had heard a song and wasnt blown away, but had been advised to see them as they worth checking out. I wasn't disappointed as they were superb. Really great sounds and textures with some blistering guitar work and some of the heaviest drums I've heard in a long time. It looked like the drummer was playing with dinosaur bones it was so primal! Really impressed so will seek out the album.

Goat were everything I had hoped and more. Hugely entertaining, bursting with energy and killer fuzzy songs that you just couldn't help but groove with. Nice long set (15 tracks, a about an hour and a half) and it was incredible from start to finish. Nice extended version of Run To Your Mamma and all the new songs were superb but the closer, the last song from World Music, was just a massive thick slab of groove and fuzz. It just went on and on and on... I didn't want it to stop! So, absolutely brilliant. Can't recommend them enough for anyone who's unconvinced by them.

Excellent stuff! I'm seeing them both at the Roundhouse on Friday night and your write up has got me even more excited by it. I really like the Lay Llamas album, sounds like they make it heavier live which will be cool. Also supporting is Les Big Byrd, another bunch of stoned Swedes with an appetite for repetition and groove. This working week can't go quick enough.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Lay Llamas I had been unsure of up to now. I had heard a song and wasnt blown away, but had been advised to see them as they worth checking out. I wasn't disappointed as they were superb. Really great sounds and textures with some blistering guitar work and some of the heaviest drums I've heard in a long time. It looked like the drummer was playing with dinosaur bones it was so primal! Really impressed so will seek out the album.

Excellent stuff! I'm seeing them both at the Roundhouse on Friday night and your write up has got me even more excited by it. I really like the Lay Llamas album, sounds like they make it heavier live which will be cool. Also supporting is Les Big Byrd, another bunch of stoned Swedes with an appetite for repetition and groove. This working week can't go quick enough.
I suggest going to the official after party as I suspect the 'special live guest band' will be Hills.

Only caught 10 minutes of Lay Llamas at LPF as my need for food and a piss could not be resisted any longer, but I thought they sounded great...
...Goat on the other hand... I lasted four songs before i had to leave, muttering "what a load of bollocks" to myself :roll:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:

I suggest going to the official after party as I suspect the 'special live guest band' will be Hills.

Only caught 10 minutes of Lay Llamas at LPF as my need for food and a piss could not be resisted any longer, but I thought they sounded great...
...Goat on the other hand... I lasted four songs before i had to leave, muttering "what a load of bollocks" to myself :roll:
I have seen the poster for the after party on the Rocket Recordings site. Looks very good and it will be hugely tempting but I do have a train to catch back to Essex so may well have to leave it......unless the secret Swedish band is ABBA.

Hopefully I'll be leaving Goat hollering "what a load of rollicking jollies" instead.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My stint of 4 gigs in 8 days came to an end with German rockers Camera in a tiny basement in Todmorden last night.

In front of a sold out crowd of just THIRTY FIVE(!) the 3 piece pummelled away in triumphant fashion. I have to say Michael Drummer is up there with the best drummers I've ever seen, yet all he uses is a floor tom, snare and cymbal. Memories of Wire's Robert Gotobed came to mind, but with the intensity of Kid Millions throw in. Plus he was standing up, hunched over, never letting up. Some of the fills he did were absolutely fantastic - so neat, tight and rattling.

The sound in that place was amazing but as it was all the band's equipment they had it set up perfectly so the waves of fuzzy guitar were so clear over the whirlwind effects the keyboards made. I know many of you guys saw these chaps in Liverpool but we got a full 80 minute set last night and it was superb. That's a pretty tasty selection of shows I've seen in the last week and a bit. October looks barren but then November cranks it up with a fine array of live stuff coming my way.

This is how close we were - hard top fit everyone in as the band were just a few feet away!
Attachments
P1110440.JPG
P1110440.JPG (180.99 KiB) Viewed 14690 times
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Goat at the Concorde 2 Brighton .
A lot has been said about Goat on this forum, some good, some not so good . My take is that they are a musical and visual
wonder. A whole spectrum of genres in their sound . Whatever you think , i challenge you to stand and not move a part of your body to the grooves and moves coming at you watching them live.
A great evening commenced with the Lay Llamas great long sounds of guitars,synth and drums driving and driving on .
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BROKENHEART wrote:Goat at the Concorde 2 Brighton .
A lot has been said about Goat on this forum, some good, some not so good . My take is that they are a musical and visual
wonder. A whole spectrum of genres in their sound . Whatever you think , i challenge you to stand and not move a part of your body to the grooves and moves coming at you watching them live.
A great evening commenced with the Lay Llamas great long sounds of guitars,synth and drums driving and driving on .
Totally agree. Saw them at the Roundhouse on Friday night and they were stunning, visually and musically. Had myself a wild time close to the front, dancing for the duration, grinning madly. The projections and lightshow on the back screen were really psychedelic and ever evolving. My good lady said it was her best gig yet. Played an hour and a half of material from both albums, extending songs like Run To Your Mama to a very groovy length. Completely engaging from start to finish. I'm deperate to see them again now. Really loved Lay Llamas too and Les Big Byrd weren't too bad either. Fabulous gig all round.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hawkwind- Leamington Assembly 2.10.14
I'm not the biggest Hawkwind fan in the world but was very curious to see what they sounded like nowadays and spacerock is always good live.
supporting on this date only were Pink Fairies. they didn't really impress me that much to be honest. I know they always had more of a standard rock base than other spacerock bands but they really do seem to have degenerated into a bluesy boogie band now. the two drummers seemed superfluous and there was only one guitarist so when he started soloing it all sounded a bit thin. there were still odd moments where it gelled and they also ended with a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows which was really good.
Hawkwind were more enjoyable but didn't blow me away. the format was as I expected- they certainly put on an impressive show- big projections, lights, dancers etc. there was also lots of synth drones and spacey swooshing noises linking tracks (some synthy bits were almost ravey!). I think the only original member now is Dave Brock - the singer was some big biker dude. It was fairly impressive although musically I kind of wished the guitars were a bit more meaty (got a bit lost in all the synths and theremin stuff) and after 2 hours I was very much ready for home. I would recommend people catch them if they are curious like me, but to be honest certain moments were a bit Spinal Tap.
They got a healthy crowd (about 2/3rds full I would say) and boy, I would bet I was possibly the youngest person in the room!! (great contrast to the recent Tame Impala gig where I felt like a grandad).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Caught Subpop's Avi Buffalo last night on a free ticket from my brother who had a spare. Californian sunshine pop would be the best way to describe them (reminded me of The Lemonheads and Ben Kweller in places) - not something i would normally seek out but was really entertained by them. Good songs with some good guitar playing, complimented by piano/keys and a solid rhythm section. Something refreshingly different to cleanse the palette.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Gulp (Guto from SFA's new venture with his Mrs) in Brighton on Thursday. Lovely laid back show and the vocals were dreamlike. Really enjoyable mid-week gig and bought a lovely band t-shirt (makes a change - not :roll: :wink: ). Definitely recommend going to see them if they're playing near you.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Frday I was at teh quite sublime (and easily my fave manchester venue) The Deaf Institiute for a couple of my heroes playing in a co support/joint headline type thing. Great match up as Grant Lee Phillips and Howe Gelb tore up the rule book and had a whale of a time as did the crowd. Very few real entertainers left, but Howe Gelb is a must see, pretty sure he makes it up as he goes along, storytelling as he goes, very amusing tales from the tuscon desert as always. Grant Lee plays it a little straighter, selections of his solo stuff and some lovely versions of Grant Lee Buffalo, with his voice sounding awesome. The pair played together on all mannner of standards, most suprisingly was a Velvets cover in the shape of Pale Blue Eyes.
2 hours of high calibre entertainment for 16 quid in a fine venue. Just what Fridays are for
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just got back from Six Organs of Admittance in Coventry. it was possibly my gig of the year so far- the word I would use is mesmerising. (and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy- I saw him back in 2009 or so and it didn't leave much of an impression on me)

just Ben and an electric guitar into an amp. The setlist drew from his whole catalogue and he seemed to uncannily play a lot of my personal favourites. from memory, he played- Elk River, One Thousand Birds, Shelter From The Ash, Jade Like Wine, Strangled Road, Words for Two, Dust & Chimes, Acteaons Fall and others.. his guitar skills and the particular universe of Six Organs kept me totally hynotized.

I also managed to pluck up the courage (dutch courage) to say hi after the show, he was really laid back and accepting of my fanboy witterings. Apparently there is a third Rangda record on the way, and the new Comets on Fire is also almost finished ("a few more days overdubs").. i'll try and remember what else he said tomorrow...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was meant to see Mogwai in Brighton last Sunday but my little boy was very poorly and ended up spending the whole evening at the children's hospital. Gutted I missed the gig but my boy is 100% fine now and thats the main thing.

Did manage to catch Kikagaku Moyo play an afternoon show at the Shacklewell in London last Saturday though. They were absolutely great and I can only imagine how even better they must have been at the evening shows they played around the country that week. Such modest chaps too to boot. Stood in a room with no more than 20-30 watching them which was a shame but at least I could see them real close up.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Glad your boy is better Ads. You'll see Mogwai again I'm sure...
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

glad your boy is okay Ads... yeah Mogwai tour all the time so sure you will get to see them again.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My best to junior Ads...

Saw Anthroprophh last week in what appeared to be a village hall in Shipley. That band is insanely heavy - a barrage of crunching riffs backed up by the pounding rhythm section of The Big Naturals. The sound struggled to cope with the onslaught to some extent so the more complex areas of Paul Allen's deranged attack were slightly lost, but it was still a good show and well worth the trip. I can't imagine there are many more intense live music experiences than those guys...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Saw the pop group in Leeds and they were absolutely incredible. I was handed the mic to sing some of Where there's a Will which probably ruined it for some people, but it was pretty fun at least.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:Saw the pop group in Leeds and they were absolutely incredible. I was handed the mic to sing some of Where there's a Will which probably ruined it for some people, but it was pretty fun at least.
consider me jealous! didn't make it to a show and regretting it now.

saw Steve Gunn last night in Coventry. great show- he had a full rhythm section providing some supple backing, so as well as the John Fahey-type acoustic numbers, there was some surprisingly rocking songs as well. some proper tasty, rippling guitar work all round. the highlight for me was Tommy's Congo from the new album where it got almost Electric Mainline-eqsue in the repetitive patterns building up. got a signed copy of the new album too.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Black Bananas at the 100 Club.
I was 50/50 about going beforehand due to tiredness and the working life woe. I wish I'd decided against going. It was shit. Really shit. Left after 4 songs but could've left after 2. Really disappointing, frustrating and annoying 'show'. I do really love Royal Trux but never got to see them and I know that chaos is part of her musical world but boy oh boy that was a lame mess. Her singing, stalking the stage, baseball cap pulled low, fiddling with electronic devices, shifting the speaker/amp set up on a chair, couldn't understand one word she said or sung apart from something about "what's up, haven't you drunk enough" after a lacklustre response. Why the need to be pissed to enjoy? Sure a few helps but the music has to be great, and it wasn't. Two other guys, one on guitar, one on electronics, no drummer or bass player. Sounded like an overloaded backing track with mumbling on top and a squalling guitar. I like the new album and expected some sort of groove but it was just a mess. Quite a few young looking fashion girls in the crowd more interested in looking good and pouting. Looks of bewilderment on other faces. Venue holds about 350 I think but it was only half full. Bobby Gillespie, Douglas Hart and thelittle bloke from Hot Chip in attendance. I wasn't the only one to grab my bag and leave stupidly early, as the cloakroom guy said "are you going as well", "yep, it's shit" said I. Then it was the long slog back home to Essex with the more soothing sounds of Bill Callahan Dream River on the headphones to calm me down. Never felt so pissed off at a gig in my life. The album is overloaded fun, the gig was overloaded mess with no groove at all.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Good grief - that sounds appalling! Having said that I read it twice as the feeling of disappointment and general dirge was superbly put!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Rich Robinson at Mine, Leeds University Union.

My 2nd time for Rich's solo project and, if anything, better than the first. although the venue's sound system was put to the test and struggled at times to cope. Roughly the same band as previously but with a new keyboard player who I didn't know. The rhythm section was familiar and tight as anything and I recognised them from before, with Crowes buddy Joe Magistro on drums with a terrific bass player pumping away, no idea of his name. The bassist produced keen facial expressions that Greg Wallace would have been proud of, and between him and the other 2 guys in the band smiling exchanges and a lot of camaraderie which I think always adds something as it shows the musicians aren't just going through the motions. New keyboard player was absolutely superb and was given centre stage by Rich to show off some amazing flourishes and incredible key skills. The Robinson brothers have a way of finding these outstanding piano players - I thought Eddie Harsch was good but in his footsteps the amazing Adam MacDougall seemed even better, and now this guy Rich has found appears to be from a similar mould. Fantastic stuff.

It's interesting to see stuff like this as, being a massive Black Crowes fan, you can hear how Rich is the whole engine room of that band. While his brother Chris might be blessed with better vocal talents there is no doubt in my mind that Rich is producing more interesting music. Maybe it's that his stuff is heavier, but I just find more substance in what he is doing that the Chris Robinson Brotherhood although I like a lot of that too.

Cool set list taken from the series of solo albums. Highlights were a sublime version of Down The Road and a big wig-out of Bye Bye Baby. Worth noting that the encore was a version of Humble Pie's The Sad Bag of Shaky Jake, a song I absolutely love, and that was also quite magnificent. Place was about half full - shame - but incredibly enthusiastic and friendly and a really good vibe was noticeable. At the end the DJ's soundtrack started up, then got louder, but the crowd resolutely stood and kept shouting for more. The house lights went on and people still wouldn't budge, so the band returned looking slightly surprised at the crowd's reaction, Rich saying 'you talked us into it'... A fine version of the Velvets 'Oh Sweet Nuthin' followed and that was that.

Great fun and a night that embedded the Black Crowes as an all-time favourite band of mine, but it also made me realise just how good a solo artist Rich is on his own, and someone I would keep going to see for some considerable time - Crowes or no Crowes. This is at least his 3rd trip to Europe. I count none so far for Chris Robinson's solo project which is a shame. Last night was no frills, no light show, just a band playing straight down heavy rock in great fashion. And I've also realised that Rich's 'The Ceaseless Sight' is the album of 2014 for me. Right on!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

So... the Mary Chain. I thought it was a cracker I have to say. Very loud, very focused, a real sonic assault at times. Given the nature of the album it was a little one dimensional I suppose, but we just sat back (we managed to snag a portion of the sofa seats at the back of the mosh pit and sat on their tops, giving a perfect view!) and let it wash over us.

The Troxy has clearly changed its policy on that front area - there were no bouncers this time so it was a free-for-all. Much more crowded and bustling as a result but means you don't really have to get in there at doors time any more unless you want a prime spot.

They got better the longer they went on last night. As a result, I reckon the Manchester folk are in for a treat tonight!

Oh, and a nice touch in having the encore first so the gig ended with the end of Psychocandy.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just saw the JAMC and fuck me it was great. Expected it to be average at best, but it was so so good. Waited a long time to see them and it was well worth it. Gonna go to Liverpool or Leeds in Feb to catch the show again.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Missed the Mary Chain gig in London on Wednesday night due to ruddy man flu :( Good news is that they are playing down here in Brighton (where they have some previous :wink: ) next Feb :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I echo James comments, the gig got better and better as it wore on. It was if they purposefully went for a slow start, which built up with Reverance and then the noise levels went through the roof with Upside Down. When they came back on to the album I was stunned how authentic it souunded, it was so like the album just louder and Jim's vocals were on the money all night.
Yep doing that again in Feb (new arrival permitting !!)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hookworms album celebration bash, Brudenell, Leeds, Wednesday...

I have never seen this place so packed out. By the time they came on it was fairly uncomfortable - not something I've experienced here before. Still, locals boys sell out their favourite venue in their home town. Tickets? A princely £5 - amazing value in this day and age.

I was at the front for the opening songs which were blistering. A gigantic wave of guitar sound, really intense at times, but nicely held in check by the Brudenell's excellent sound system. Everyone into it, good atmosphere, all good. I popped to the bar for a drink and found I genuinely couldn't get back to where I had been so I stood towards the back as it was absolutely rammed. It was still good back there but then came a shift, when the band went into my favourite song of theirs - Teen Dreams - which they managed to fuck up. It was like there were 2 beats going on so the 2 halves of the band were out of sync and it was all over the place. I've not seen them do that before. By that point it was 45 minutes into the set and my aged shoulders and back were screaming out as I'd been standing for 4 hours the previous night at The Pretty Reckless (not my choice, my eldest daughter's), so I went home. Not unhappy, just tired and feeling like I'd seen what I needed to. It isn't often I leave before the end I should add.

I'd go and see these guys again for sure. They did screw up on Wednesday which was a first for me, and this was far from the best I've seen them, but when they fly they are still very impressive.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Mary Chain @ Barrowlands, Glasgow on Friday night.

I cannot emphasise this enough if any of you have any doubts about what to expect or unsure about getting a ticket.

BUY A TICKET. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

They were incredible from the first note to the last. The sound in the venue was incredible and you could really hear the great guitar sounds William was smashing his way through. The vocals, just like the album, were buried a little what with the volume but we all know the songs well enough to sing along in our heads. Band were really tight and i think i only heard one off note from William on a solo all night. They have obviously really worked hard to get this right and i think they can only be congratulated on doing it justice.

I genuinely think i have witnessed one of the best shows of the (last few) years!

Was rough as hell on Saturday but still walked about with a big daft grin on my face :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Telescopes on Saturday night..
bit of a missed opportunity for me, this. obviously they've had a few different sounds in their career, from noisy rock to baggy indie-pop. I got the impression that they were harking back to the noise of Taste these days, which sounded just the ticket for me.
They were certainly rather loud, infact the sound quality was also excellent overall.. they sounded great, the guitars really did sound like that wonderful upfront mix of wah and fuzz on Taste.. but there were just no songs. The whole set seemed like a formless jam... at certain points I thought a song might rise out of the mess but it never transpired. There was a bit of moaning into the mic from Stephen but no tunes.
It was such a tease, as like I said, in a very literal sense they sounded great.. and I know they are great at producing noise.. but I loved it when it was attached to songs.
fair play to them for playing what they want, but it didn't do it for me at all. I got bored.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Sharon Van Etten at St Georges church Brighton. Nice venue, sound not so good. Sharon V E can do no wrong at the moment in my eyes.Beautiful voice sad songs,can excuse the sound and some kind of undercurrent going on within the
band. Some great slide guitar from support Marisa Anderson.
Gallon Drunk at the 100 club Oxford st. James Johnston is a bit of a showman and the band didn't dissapoint with the punk,blues and jazz mixture of songs on the night. But,but,but ! The Cult of Dom Keller stole the show as support band.
What a great band, my second viewing of this band and i need some more !
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lee Scratch Perry at the Brudenell.

Pretty decent show by the ancient visionary who is still looking and behaving like a nutter, albeit a somewhat charming one. A few of the same band as last time who were pretty tight although I've seen Scratch with a better band before. The highlight was the pumping encore of Exodus, delivered as it should be. Some odd moments where Scratch decided that shouting and roaring was the right vocal line to take, and he invited a few ladies from the crowd he'd obviously had his eye on to dance on stage with him. The world is definitely a better place with the likes of Scratch in it and I'd go and see him every time he comes to town. The guy is 78 now but clearly still enjoying himself and with a lot more energy than many other people half his age.

The highlight of the evening was bumping into some old friends I lost touch with and hadn't seen in almost 20 years. I still can't believe that happened. So a pretty enjoyable evening all round.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The Lightshines-Jug Of Ale-Necastle Under Lyme

Great to catch up with head Lightshines chief, Sam and his assembled band for a rare Northern(ish) gig.
Nice newly re-opened venue, which is effectively a pub but sizeable and a good space for bands with excellent sightlines from wherever you sat or stood.
Support band were ok, Electroshock therapy, they played a type of garage style psych(ish) but it leant more towards aiming for the charts(and not being catchy enough), that said though they were tight and sounded fine.
The lightshines played a 10 song set, 8 from the debut album, old song Garaga and a new one which was great.
This was my first chance to see them as a 5 piece and I was impressed, 3 guitars, bass and Richard on drums(front man for The See See). The sound was good and the guitars worked and mixed together really well laying sounds but neither guitarist over doing it, the band offer jangly sunshine indie/pop with drones, loops and some great harmonies.
They are a cross between The See See (no surprise as Sam play Guitar with them as well)/ a hard edged,The Feelies with a psych flavour to it. Great to catch up with Sam after a good 12 months since we last hooked up, and some great anecdotes from Richard who has toured with Joel Gion's band both here and in the States, some of which about Anton (which i wont mention publicly) were outrageous !
Sam tells me they are taking bookings for the New Year and a Leeds date is pencilled in plus one in Bristol, when i have the dates I will let people on here know as its definately a band many of you will dig
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Was supposed to see Sun Kil Moon on Monday, but he was too tired for a 4 hour drive from London to Leeds. Loada shit! 3rd time in 12 moths he's cancelled on me.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:The Telescopes on Saturday night..
bit of a missed opportunity for me, this. obviously they've had a few different sounds in their career, from noisy rock to baggy indie-pop. I got the impression that they were harking back to the noise of Taste these days, which sounded just the ticket for me.
They were certainly rather loud, infact the sound quality was also excellent overall.. they sounded great, the guitars really did sound like that wonderful upfront mix of wah and fuzz on Taste.. but there were just no songs. The whole set seemed like a formless jam... at certain points I thought a song might rise out of the mess but it never transpired. There was a bit of moaning into the mic from Stephen but no tunes.
It was such a tease, as like I said, in a very literal sense they sounded great.. and I know they are great at producing noise.. but I loved it when it was attached to songs.
fair play to them for playing what they want, but it didn't do it for me at all. I got bored.
Interesting. I saw them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and some of the old songs they played just sounded a bit dated to me. They were good but kinda confirmed to me why i'd always had them down as a second division act. On the flip side they played at least two songs that Gnod would have been proud of, just a pounding, relentless barrage. I'd have been perfectly happy for the whole gig to have been like that!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote:The Telescopes on Saturday night..
Interesting. I saw them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and some of the old songs they played just sounded a bit dated to me. They were good but kinda confirmed to me why i'd always had them down as a second division act. On the flip side they played at least two songs that Gnod would have been proud of, just a pounding, relentless barrage. I'd have been perfectly happy for the whole gig to have been like that!
I think there was only one moment where a song I vaguely recognised reared it's head. I am a huge fan of Taste so that was what I was hoping for.. or just songs like it.
it's not like I'm against the concept of a noise set per se.. this just didn't do anything for me at all.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Swans - Rescue Rooms Nottingham last monday.
was a complete Swans virgin. i enjoyed although it was painfully loud at some points. was like some insane Gothic
theatre.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Slowdive on Friday night. Absolutely fucking superb. I really didn't know what to expect having never seen them before, but my God they were just beautiful. The sound was crystal clear (a first for me in that venue), the vocals - especially the harmonies - were wonderful and when they got the noise going they out-Mogwai'd Mogwai at times!

The best compliment I can pay it is that I said to the mate I was with, who is a musician, that if I had bothered to learn music at school and we had formed a band together, that was the music we would have loved to make.

I really, really hope they do more shows next year...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I was a that gig Greeny!

It was really amazing. They work so well together and I really hope it is true that they will come out with another album.

Like you said the harmonies and just the way the guitars played with each other are something most bands would thrive for.

2 thumbs up here.

M
Design.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was at the Slowdive gig last night with Mrs Shines, Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time and James T. Fantastic night out and an absolutely immense gig. Hookworms were really good but Slowdive were in a different league altogether. I really hope they stick around for a while and get another record out. Really superb night to end this year's gigging. Now to go one better and try and secure tickets for Ride :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'll see you there! RIDE!
Design.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep echo Mr Shines comments, great to meet his better half as well, casually mentioning all the cool gigs she went to in her youth, certainly Stone Roses at Glasgow Green as a first gig is impressive (far more impressive than mine...........Dire Straits !! :lol: )
Good pre gig banter in the Assembly boozer near the venue, then onto the gig. Venue I really liked, a smaller version of the Apollo in Manchester, but much nicer and less rundown. Sound was good.
Hookworms decent, played all new stuff apart from Away/Towards which they opened with but we missed that.
Definately in my top 10 gigs ever. More post gig action in the pub before I dived on the 12.20 to Cricklewood and into my travelodge for the night.

Oh and for those interested, Racheal said "see you next year" at the end of the gig :D
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I know I enjoyed it but there's chunks of the night missing. Great show, but didn't match up to the shows earlier in the year purely because they totally overwhelmed me having waited to see them forever. Glad Rutti made it back into the set. Lovely to catch up with people too. I owe some drinks I think.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Wonderful gig sat night at the Forum. Hookworms were great, but Slowdive were Epic. Guitar sounds that
rip at your heartstrings.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I went to both Slowdive shows in the end.. both were superb (same set except for Albatross swapping for Rutti, I think) but the Saturday night takes it- the sound just seemed that little bit better and everything seemed to slot into place. you can tell they had been touring hard- they were tight as hell and so confident. the trippy guitars just sounded so perfect, when it hit the soaring bits like the end of Golden Hair it was sublime. this is how you do a reformation- a band who never really got their due first time around, sounding possibly better than ever.

great to catch up with a few people from the board too- here's to the next meetup!
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Went to Friday's gig, absolutely superb stuff, such amazing subtlety yet power at the same time.
Some of those extended jams with the strobes were amazing. Incredible comeback gigs especially as I never thought i'd get to see them play.
only nitpick would be they could've done with a better smoke machine on stage ;)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mark Lanegan Band last night.

Pretty good, would've liked it to be louder in parts. Played an 85 minute set from a variety of albums. Like the last time I saw him in the same venue I did find my mind wandering quite often though. I think I prefer his records to the live experience.

Unfortunately i had a bunch of cunts standing beside me for most of the gig. Third song in they barged their way down to the fourth row where i was and proceeded to chat away from the off. Someone told them to shut up, which produced a shocked reaction from them but did quieten them down for a bit. Then a few more arrived and that was that; yap yap yap for the remainder of the gig. Funnily enough there was a brief respite when the obligatory 'pissed blonde' fucked off to the bar/toilet/fagbreak. Upon her return...well there was no chance of salvation. They only payed any attention when he played 'Hit The City' and then the encore of 'Methamphetamine Blues'. Other than that, no interest in proceedings. It's stranger when you consider that the gig had been sold out for ages so it wasn't like they just waltzed up to the venue thinking 'this'll do for a Saturday night out'. They obviously had to buy their tickets well in advance which would make you think they were genuine fans. As the gig was sold out there weren't many options for me to move away from them otherwise I would have.

Plenty of merch on sale, including the new remix album on vinyl but that was €30, far too expensive. Interestingly, he did have cd/dvds of previous gigs at €15. He also hung around afterwards for signings. I didn't buy anything or hang around though.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

P much exact same experience in Belfast last Friday. Sound was quiet & muddy first half of gig.

Enjoyed some of reworkings & performances but prob least entertaining lanegan gig I've attended.

Re the crowd
Am starting to appreciate midweek gigs more. Sunday nights are ideal..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Viet Cong : Glasgow Broadcast,

1st gig this year so was well up for it, Viet Cong were a new band to me at the turn of the year, but the album/dodgy download has been on a pretty constant play since I got a hold of it. Broadcast is one of my fav, venues in Glasgow, a low ceilinged cellar, 200 capacity, probably lucky to get the tickets as its sell out, place is buzzing but the full capacity means restricted views, still,

managed to miss the 1st couple of songs :( when I do get in the sound is superb though mad complex guitar interplay, and heavy post punk rhythm section, the bass lines definitely had me thinking `Bunnymen` at one point but that was a good thing the bass playing lead singer is particularly superb, the multi sectioned March Of Progress was fantastic, and a three song end section - Continental Shelf, Silhouettes and the epic in every sense Death - makes for a breathtaking last 20min or so, good night all in, will definitely see these guys again given the chance,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

^^^ Sounds good. I'm going to see them in May, still not listened to the album yet though.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

On the way home from the Mary Chain doing Psycho Candy in Liverpool. Show was OK, it was weird hearing these songs again after all this time. I also found having a lightshow and proper PA affected things as I had seen them play three or four times around the release in various shitholes with non-existant sound and light facilities and dubious hygiene. I liked the show, it could have been much louder. It also totally lacked that sense of danger from the early JAMC shows, but what do you expect when the average punter was approaching 50. I think I've weathered better than at least one of the Reid brothers, which is a dubious bonus.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pond in Whelans Dublin 19/2.

Taken me a few days to get around to writing on this. Still not sure how I feel about it.

First off, they got a rapturous reception from the audience. As soon as they came on there was a prolonged bout of clapping and cheering, you could see the band were blown away by it. Then for the first 4 or 5 songs I was witnessing one of the shittest gigs i've been to in a long time; Tame Impala meets latter period Flaming Lips with some noughties indie thrown in, pure dog muck to my ears.
They then launched into a song with a Santana type groove that was the highlight of the night, this unleashed a bout of crowdsurfing and moshing and the sight of a dude on someone's shoulders literally ripping off his t-shirt from the front and flinging it at the band! The next song was alright too and I kinda settled into the vibe of it all. Lots of Floyd, The Band, Byrds references hitting me. It was ok but for some reason I thought Pond would be heavier and more out there than they were. It was all a bit lightweight and poppy for my tastes.

Would I go see them again? Not sure, I often give a band two goes before i dismiss them completely but i suspect that their next visit to these shores will be in a bigger venue at a higher ticket price that I would probably be unwilling to pay.

Overall view: :? :? :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the heads up on Pond. I was deliberating whether to go and see them next week. the fact that Younghusband had been added as support was swaying me.. but I do have reservations about Pond's music.. it's a bit ... wacky?
like you I would have expected them to be a bit heavier too. some of their riffs are Zeppelin-esque, and one wish I have about Tame Impala is that they could be heavier at times.

last night I saw Earth at the Oobleck in Birmingham. first time I've been to this great little venue (must have been 200 capacity tops).

Obviously I kinda knew what to expect from the band seeing as they have a very defined style, but wasn't sure how it would pan out and hold my attention for an entire show. but it was excellent.
Dylan Carlson was looking more svelte and healthy than I expected. just him, bass player and drummer. the crowd was a mixture of metalheads and hipster types.
His guitar sound wasn't particularly fuzzy, in fact it was fairly clean and bright. but it was loud and damn the guitar tone was heavenly- juicy and thick with loads of sustain and some excellent controlled feedback at points. Dylan had this strange stance of playing his guitar neck almost vertically. he is a master at what he does, and the rhythm section knew exactly how to fit in and not overplay.

The setlist was basically the new album, with a couple of oldies- Ouroboros is Broken (which he introduced as the first song he ever wrote), Old Black and the title track from The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull (which is the one track that actually stood out from the general style.. is it me or is it a little bit psych and a little bit blues too?).
The new album is excellent so I wasn't complaining about the setlist (he said that the new album has outsold all their previous records apparently). The vocal tracks weren't missing the singing either (which reinforces my opinion that the vocals, especially Mark Lanegan's, were perhaps a tad phoned in).
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

'Sighs, if you're a fan of Tame Impala you will probably enjoy Pond. But yeah, 'wacky' kinda fits. For me it was 'wacky' in a kinda annoying Flaming Lips / Animal Collective way.
They really did get an amazing reception in Dublin though, i've not witnessed that response at a gig for a long time. Just as surprising was that it wasn't just the new album that people knew.

I've skipped Earth the past two times they've played. They're the one band I genuinely wish that I could sit down for the whole gig. Have seen them 4 times I think and each time I was struggling to keep my eyelids open. Which is quite draining when standing for 90 minutes!
Still haven't listened to the latest album in its entirety. It's got that horrible dual guitar sound going on, a la Thin Lizzy, and I just keep thinking "nope, not today".
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Was the crowd for Pond noticeably young? when I saw Tame Impala the crowd was not only ridiculously enthusiastic but also largely young whippersnappers!

I can understand Earth possibly getting boring at extended length (I certainly wouldn't have wanted the gig to be any longer), but the show really hit the mark for me.
The fact it was just Dylan's guitar meant no 'Thin Lizzy' moments either :)
I think the new album is excellent myself and a perfect mixture of old and new Earth!