Holmfirth Picturedrome

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Re: Holmfirth Picturedrome

Post by clewsr »

Indeed.

There were a couple of slower numbers but everything was played with such an intensity there was no let up. Perfect Miracle was lovely btw

I liked the other new songs much better hearing them live than on the Chicago boot and the songs seem to be changing and evolving quickly. I'm not going but the Dublin ladies and Gents show will be interesting to see with the new band.

By the way the singers were back, so their absence in Chicago looks like a one off.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Took a few shots. Had to include one of Kid Millions pulling one of his many faces.
P1040859.JPG
P1040859.JPG (45.52 KiB) Viewed 6964 times
P1040836.JPG
P1040836.JPG (42.46 KiB) Viewed 6964 times
P1040828.JPG
P1040828.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 6964 times
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Okay, so I went to this show with mixed feelings. Like JamesT I love the way Kevin bales plays. The old band had a way of locking into a song and, (well you all know) Just making it sound beautiful. This new sound was to my ears a bit lacking in dynamics, it was a bit flat and to be honest not as good as it was with the old band.

So, after hearing the bootlegs (thanks to all for taking the time to share and remaster) I was more than a little concerned. I just didn't get it? It was like the magic was gone, give it a while I thought, early days. Then again with the more recent recordings, I still wasn't feeling it like I used to. Like many on this board this band mean a lot to me. The thought of falling out of love (obsession) with them was actually a bit heart breaking.

Arrival at holmfirth and a few beers later the pure phase drone kicks in and it's show time. A few sound problems early on (jason in ear monitor wasnt on) and then we're down to business. Hey Jane kicks in (and i mean kicks in) and its fairly evident were in for a good night. In short they ripped the place to shreds.

The way the new band play is just savage. Insanely raw and untamed, but also in amongst all that electricity and energy it sounds so tight. It reminds me of the stooges live shows circa raw power that I've heard, or the Jerry Lee live album at the star club. Full on rock and roll, nothing is held back. It's completely unrestrained. All about energy. Kid millions was amazing. The guy literally propels the band along like a jet engine. The bass player was the real deal too. Flying around the fret board and in the noise sections just strumming the hell out his guitar like his life depended on it. He looked super cool too.

It's amazing hearing songs you've heard so many times and at so many shows revitalised and sounding so fresh, new and above all dangerous.

A couple of the tracks had a kind of layer of reverb over everything which sounded really cool. They also added some delay on j's vocals on a couple of tracks which sounded really nice. It was really loud and when they booted it up at the end of take your time it was off the scale. Think MBV loud - just white noise.

We were discussing after the show how he maybe feels he needs to do this band switch every once on a while to keep things fresh and exciting for him. The last version of spz was tight and lean and floaty. This new one is like a juggernaut plowing everything in its path.

As everyone else has said (nice to meet you all too! Hope you made it home safe and sound) it was a belter of a show. I mean really, really good.

And as a side note it looked like they were having a great time onstage too.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm really liking the sound of this new line up. I was under the impression that they were just a temporary thing...didn't one article claim that they were just brought together because Jason could only afford to bring Doggen with him over for the tour of the States? Can't wait to see this outfit live, if they stay together long enough :wink:

With regards to Kevin Bales' drumming...I always thought he was tight but didn't really give it any welly. He seemed like he was just holding the beat (very well mind you) with the occasional fill but he never looked like he was having much fun behind the kit. It's probably exactly what Jason wanted and asked of him but, for me, I always like a drummer to be allowed to let rip (think Andy Duvall from Carlton Melton). Kid Millions appears to fit this description perfectly. Hasn't he done some drumming with White Hills too?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm with simonkeeping on this. Now I reflected on my initial feedback, it was probably harsh, but I do think the new band still isn't quite tight enough. When it clicked though, the DID blow the roof off the place. The version of all of my tears was brilliant at the end, even if it was one of the only gentle moments of the show. Take your time was great also.

I think I was just feeling a bit "I don't feel well at all and this isn't what I expected at all"
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thanks Simon! It's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm really looking forward to a gig in the near future.

M
Design.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Amazing show from start to finish, fantastic venue and great company. What more could you ask for :D
'Remember, change is not good'
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ha! This site is especially good fun @ tour time.
Really wanna hear the new band in person now. Might have to travel tho.. Here's another one hoping for a full UK tour asap.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

Anyone get a decent recording of this? :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So how does the Chicago boot compare to Holmfirth? Bit of a ridiculous question I know as the live experience compared to an amateur recording are worlds apart but i'm just curious.

Regarding the drumming, i'll be honest and say I haven't enjoyed any Spiritualized sticksmen since Johnny Mattock departed. Damon Reece was too bombastic and Kev Bales used way too many unnecessary fills. From what I've heard so far of Kid Millions on this tour he seems to have reigned his playing in a bit but I won't be able to judge until I see this band incarnation in the flesh. The reviews of Holmfirth have certainly piqued my interest for the Dublin L&G gig.

As for mid set lulls? Well one song doesn't count as a lull and to be honest nor do slow, quiet ones per se. Jason's choice of, again just my opinion, his dullest, dreariest, most boring tunes in the middle of a set are what contribute to a lull. If, over the years, he had been playing Take Good Care Of It, a mellow Sway, So Hot, You Know It's True, Spread Your Wings and Feel Like Goin' Home mid set I'm not sure there'd be much talk of lulls.

Wasn't there always a noise section in Let It Flow? Going by the Chicago boot the band is now doing it justice. Previously they played it like the record, just a quiet, scratchy interlude which I always found a bit pointless ( i mean that for the studio version as well as live ) but now, well, there is a point rather than just a bit of inconsequential noodling.

Anyway, it's good to see some excitement around the live shows.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

sunray wrote: Wasn't there always a noise section in Let It Flow? Going by the Chicago boot the band is now doing it justice. Previously they played it like the record, just a quiet, scratchy interlude which I always found a bit pointless ( i mean that for the studio version as well as live ) but now, well, there is a point rather than just a bit of inconsequential noodling.

Anyway, it's good to see some excitement around the live shows.
I always liked the scratchy, rumbly part in Let It Flow, kind of like a steady build before the release when the big melody kicks back in . . .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:So how does the Chicago boot compare to Holmfirth? Bit of a ridiculous question I know as the live experience compared to an amateur recording are worlds apart but i'm just curious.
this is a thought that crossed my mind too. listened to the Chicago boot again earlier today and couldn't hear much of the power and noise that people are talking about in this show (however I will of course say a BIG thanks to all those involved in recording and tweaking the bootlegs). maybe this Holmfirth show just had the x factor and lifted into space (that does happen sometimes, sometimes everything just clicks).

the new songs are not impressing me much either. I do like Perfect Miracle, lovely little song with a great chord sequence that isn't D and G for once :) . and I like the pulverising groove of 'A Song' a lot (even more so with it's new ending). the others, however are leaving me cold. they seem really skeletal and unformed. early days however!

really hoping for a UK tour later in the year so I can see the new band in the flesh and make my own mind up

some interesting questions remain- wonder why Doggen was the only band member not replaced? what will the Dublin L&G show sound like with the new lineup?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:some interesting questions remain- wonder why Doggen was the only band member not replaced?
Probably being a bit hasty here, but fuck it - so I had a few today.

To answer your question, I wouldn't expect or want to pay the reletively dear price of entry to a Spzd gig as I do now, ie without flinching, unless I knew there was a seasoned, proven pro guitar player to do the business. Otherwise what am I letting myself open to? Guitar Loops mk2? Fuck that shitty lottery, the last UK Spiritualized tour was hardly an unqualified success, and now in the US things are so tight the Tour manager is doubling as guitar tech, and the independently recorded evidence suggests that their touring FOH wasn't exactly moonlighting from Clair Bros list of first calls.

It might sound daft, but with Doggen on the bill I know what I'm (hopefully) getting. After all he did play most of the guitar and bass parts (which for bass very often means 'wrote' as well as 'played' in my experience) on SHSL, plus there are many other reasons I choose not to go into right now, but which I find convincing.

In addition look at what Doggen brings to the Spz table - all the way from the last 3 albums to the Rhodes on 'Acoustic Mainlines'. Sean Cook squeezed hard but ended up with a single credit on "Sway" and ulitimately lost his job related to that ... Perhaps the phrasing should be "thank god Doggen wasn't replaced"?

Maybe the more pertinent question is who could Jason bring in as a session guitarist right now, if he ditched Doggen???
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sunray wrote:
As for mid set lulls? Well one song doesn't count as a lull and to be honest nor do slow, quiet ones per se. Jason's choice of, again just my opinion, his dullest, dreariest, most boring tunes in the middle of a set are what contribute to a lull.
ha ha, ok, yes that was indeed what I meant by mid set lulls.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

mojo filters wrote:
angelsighs wrote:some interesting questions remain- wonder why Doggen was the only band member not replaced?

To answer your question, I wouldn't expect or want to pay the reletively dear price of entry to a Spzd gig as I do now, ie without flinching, unless I knew there was a seasoned, proven pro guitar player to do the business. Otherwise what am I letting myself open to? Guitar Loops mk2? Fuck that shitty lottery, the last UK Spiritualized tour was hardly an unqualified success, and now in the US things are so tight the Tour manager is doubling as guitar tech, and the independently recorded evidence suggests that their touring FOH wasn't exactly moonlighting from Clair Bros list of first calls.

It might sound daft, but with Doggen on the bill I know what I'm (hopefully) getting. After all he did play most of the guitar and bass parts (which for bass very often means 'wrote' as well as 'played' in my experience) on SHSL, plus there are many other reasons I choose not to go into right now, but which I find convincing.

In addition look at what Doggen brings to the Spz table - all the way from the last 3 albums to the Rhodes on 'Acoustic Mainlines'. Sean Cook squeezed hard but ended up with a single credit on "Sway" and ulitimately lost his job related to that ... Perhaps the phrasing should be "thank god Doggen wasn't replaced"?

Maybe the more pertinent question is who could Jason bring in as a session guitarist right now, if he ditched Doggen???
I'm pleased he kept Doggen in the line up, but I'm sure that if Jason wasn't happy with what he was doing then he would have changed guitarists too. He's proved time again to be ruthless enough. I'm surprised to hear you say we wouldn't bother going to a gig if Doggen wasn't there, Personally I'd go without a second thought.

In terms of their last UK tour, I enjoyed it. I'd say that I've been enjoying the live show progressively more each time since the time of Songs in A +E. For me the low point was post Amazing Grace, just prior to the acoustic mainlines shows when I really felt like they had run out of ideas. However what's been missing from the recent tours is a sense that the songs could just go anywhere - you mostly knew how they were going to be played and there's been less of the spontaneity that the early line ups had. I felt the new line up fixed that on Thursday which is why I enjoyed it so much.

In terms of low tickets sales, its a shame, I just hope they get enough money to continue doing what they do. As much of a fan of Doggen's skills as I am, I can't imagine that his presence or otherwise would make a significant difference to ticket sales.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote:
angelsighs wrote: In addition look at what Doggen brings to the Spz table - all the way from the last 3 albums to the Rhodes on 'Acoustic Mainlines'. Sean Cook squeezed hard but ended up with a single credit on "Sway" and ulitimately lost his job related to that ... Perhaps the phrasing should be "thank god Doggen wasn't replaced"?

not quite sure what you are getting at (Jason is no idiot and wouldn't get people in who couldn't do the job- are you saying he would get relative amateurs in to cut costs? all the new players have a pedigree to a certain extent which I think we have noted on other threads), but I do agree that it would be a shame if Doggen went. he is extremely talented and contributes a lot, possibly Jason considers him his right hand man (or maybe he serves as a kind of musical director to the rest of the band). that said, if he wants to shake up the new band and keep things fresh changing the guitar player would be a key way to do that, in what is to all intents and purposes a ROCK band
fritz
New user

Post by fritz »

well worth the trip across the water for us , fucking brilliant in fact , really looking forward to the dublin show in 3 weeks time , all the best to clewsr it was a absolute pleasure to meet u man !!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

mojo filters wrote:

Maybe in these times of austerity (as in most industries), touring bands who aren't the Stones, U2 etc may be feeling the pinch like the rest of us and now need tour managers to get their hands dirty and help with the gear setup? Seems everyone in every job these days is doing double the work, or doing the job of staff companies can't afford to replace. A lot of managers in my work having to do duties they would have had other people do in years gone by.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but do you mean Mark Refoy rather than Sean Cook regarding Sway? Was Refoy really sacked for fighting for a writing credit on this track? It's his guitar lines in that song, isn't it?

Also, I really like Kevin Bales' drums. It's on his watch that the drums seem to have been pushed higher in the mix on the records. His work on the BBC session of Rated X stands out as a huge highlight to me.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Loved reading runcible's review and so glad the band proved to him that they are still capable of packing a punch.

I too agree on Kid Millions and in the review of the Wonder Ballroom (Portland) gig I singled out the rhythm section, which for me was/is key to the new band. It all emanates from their raw, primal energy and from there the rest of the band unleash a ferocious and lethal dose of high octane rock and roll. I too was blown away when I saw the new band and loved how the "electricity" exploded from the songs (both old and new). I hope they come back over to the west coast when they return to the States.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Slightly off topic but related to heisenberg's comments re recession hitting gigs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcu ... y-gone-out

One of the comments struck me - 'Pop music as it used to be in the twentieth century is now dead. Very, very few people are able to make a living at it. Morrissey had a good run and has nothing to prove at this point'

I think there might be a point to this, the whole route from starting a band / touring / realising a record / becoming moderately successfully seems to have got corrupted. I'm not sure why and I'm out of touch so I may just be a close to middle aged man not getting what the kids are up to, If so hopefully someone will set me straight. But if there were five plucky kids from Wigan or maybe Rugby with a bag full of good tunes is it even feasible for them to have the impact or even make a living in the way it happened in the nineties?

Also file under the lack of working class bands these days.

(it was a pleasure to meet you too fritz!)
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Just thought I'd chuck in my two pennies' worth.

Having bought my tickets earlier in the year, I then discovered it was my daughter's graduation in Cardiff the day after the gig. This meant a drive up, as a family, from Rugby straight after work, then off to Cardiff immediately after the gig (we got there at 3:30am, only to have to get up again at 7:30 to pick up gowns, have photos taken etc...). My daughter was born the same year as Spiritualized, and has grown up having no choice in having to hear them; same for my son who was born a couple of years after. They've both heard me banging on about Spiritualized their whole lives, but this was their first Spiritualized gig. When I heard the reviews of the week before I was gearing myself up for a massive disappointment for them, which added to the stress of a very stressful couple of days.

I shouldn't have worried. We all absolutely loved it - we ended up sitting in the balcony facing the band directly, and the sound was incredible! The new songs were stormers; the whole set was really solid (as has been said before).

I did enjoy swanning around in my original 'For all the fucked up children...' Spacemen 3 t-shirt and would have loved to catch up with some of you guys, but sadly time was not on my side.

I'll definitely be heading back to Holmfirth at some point over the summer just for a mooch around - beautiful place. During the gig I kept thinking what a surreal band/location combination.

Superb.

P
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spiby.
What a great story. And a great intro to Spiritualized Live for your kids. As we all know that is usually a completely different experience to hearing records. Nice graduation present!

On the austerity thing. I think there is a lot of truth to that. It is expensive to tour a band like Spiritualized. On speaking to Jason on the Acoustic Mainlines tour over here he told me he had two seperate sets of back up singers. One for the East Coast and one for West Coast and he financed that whole mini tour himself. Thats how much thought about finances went into that tour. And that was only like 6 or 8 dates in the US.
So yeah. It makes a difference. Its obviously important for Jason to get Spiritualized on the road as much as he can. That is what I initiallly thought about him rehearsing a new band for the West coast tour around Coachella. That this was meant to be a US version of Spiritualized. But from all accounts from that tour, Chicago and now Holmfirth they are his new band. He has to do whatever he needs to to keep it fresh for himself. And from those whom opinions I trust 100% it seems like its working like a charm.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

I see there's a few videos up on YouTube. The guy must have been stood in front of me - or, rather, in front of the crazy dancer who was just in front of me. Great gig, with the only downer for me being the people who felt the need to push close to the front, and then chat (or shout) in each others ears.

Would love a boot, although seems unlikely there is one. For me, like another poster, this is up there with the TicToc gig...although not quite...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Anybody have a boot of this? It was simply awesome.
'Remember, change is not good'
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Edit: Just realised I misread this thread - and the comparisons are between the Chicago gig and this gig (by people who actually attended it) - but only the Chicago gig is confirmed as being recorded.

My mistake... guess I have to find the Chicago gig now!