ATP: Deerhunter (June 21-23)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Hofstadter
Known user

ATP: Deerhunter (June 21-23)

Post by Hofstadter »

I just won this national merit scholarship thing and was awarded a pretty handy sum of money - I thought there was no way I was going to be able to go, but it looks like I might be able to fund a trip now. Pretty ecstatic. It is in Camber Sands down on the english channel. Sounds pretty incredible, one small hitch - instead of tickets, you get a "berth" - at the minimum, four festival passes + accommodation for four for the whole weekend - 1200 bucks/780 pounds total. That's expensive, but in the end its 300/person including hotel stuff, which when it comes down to is much cheaper than say Coachella, which is roughly 350 for a ticket alone, excluding shuttle passes, living arrangements, etc. And fuck coachella (half my school goes and misses class for it, it really is just an excuse for a big party, sure there are always good bands but having been once, I don't have much desire to go back, even with spz playing... the aesthetic of ATP seems like the complete opposite of Coachella, to me at least).

Fortunately, I now have the money to pay for it even if I go alone (I don't really feel like going with friends, I've sort of realized over the past year or so that we just have a different approach to music/especially live music), but I figured I'd give it a shot and see if there was any interest from people on the board.

I think going alone would actually be pretty cool/enjoyable/a "formative" experience (a little bit extravagant in terms of spending, not sure I feel like trying to find a TOTAL stranger though which is possible if you find somebody via the ATP community page), but meetin' people from the board could be sweet too. Still no concrete plans or anything yet, but this has really been one of the most exciting things that I feel has happened in a while (the possibility of going that is), even more so than getting into college.

To give you an idea of why I am so excited (outside of the whole solo trip aspect of it), here's some of the lineup, more TBA:

Deerhunter playing all three days, Cryptograms, Microcastle, and Halcyon Digest will be played in full.
Atlas Sound
Laetitia Sadier/Tim Gane
(they aren't billed together, but I'm hoping it's a stereolab show, that would be fucking unreal and a dream)
Panda Bear/Avey Tare (once again not billed together but I would assume they will just play an Animal Collective Show)
Steve fucking Reich w/ the London Sinfonietta
The Breeders (playing Last Splash)
Blues Control w/ Laraaji!!!!!! The FRKWYS they did together is radddd.
William Basinski (wow can't even imagine what he is like live, hopefully breathtaking)
No Age (reppin' LA yar)
the Black Lips (wonder if they are friends w/ Deerhunter via Athens)
Samara Lubelski (I've been meaning to post about her record from last year, there's an almost B&S rainy-day feel to it, and the last few tracks seem to have almost this neu jamming just barely seeping in through the cracks, or at least michael rother, - the first few tracks though are what did it for me, very melancholy, it is all about her beautiful, breathy voice/half whisper)
Robyn Hitchock
Kim Gordon, Ikue Mori, and Bill Nace

Eric Isaacson, Mississippi Records Founder!
Pere Ubu
Dan Deacon
Black Dice
Tom Tom Club
Oneida w/ Rhys Chatham
Ex Models w/ Kid Millions

More TBA

I still can't believe I might go - just sounds like it would be a pretty amazing experience/way to end my senior year of high school. If you have interest in going, let me know eh?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: ATP: Deerhunter (June 21-23)

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Mate, I would love to meet up but to leave the wife and kids for 3-4 days I need a better line up to justify to myself. Deerhunter aside, there isnt much that grabs me unfortunately. The line ups at Green man and latitude seem a bit more up my street to be honest. Liverpool Psych Fest would be the one I would urge you to do mate. Amazing bands, really cheap (25 quid a ticket), great venue and in September so even more time to get your finances in place
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ah man I am really jealous and also very tempted. first of all I will say that every you imagine about ATP being a great and different experience is true. I find that staying in the chalets, and the fact that the lineup is curated, gives it a real sense of community. no sponsorship, great sound quality- it really does seem to overcome a lot of the problems that can come with festivals.
I see that it has moved to Camber Sands from Minehead- I understand that the Camber Sands site is a lot more run down (it has seen better days!) but smaller so fosters even more of that sense of community.
having said that I will agree with Aquarian Time that the lineup is not quite good enough for me to go (even though ATP is one of the few festivals where I would go just as much for the 'experience' as the bands themselves)

I'm sure even if you get a total stranger in your chalet you will get on well enough, seeing as they will be into the same music as you. and even if they are a dick, just don't go back to your chalet much and literally use it just for sleeping! :)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I'm doing it! Booked most of my stuff today... maybe it seems a little rash/decadent etc to fly to europe just for a show, but fuck it. Sometimes you should just go for stuff...

Also: wow am I excited.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:I'm doing it! Booked most of my stuff today... maybe it seems a little rash/decadent etc to fly to europe just for a show, but fuck it. Sometimes you should just go for stuff...

Good on you, man! As I say to my students.....graduate, travel, see the world and GROW. A new chapter of your life is about to start...take advantage of it. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote:I'm doing it! Booked most of my stuff today... maybe it seems a little rash/decadent etc to fly to europe just for a show, but fuck it. Sometimes you should just go for stuff...
Agreed. Nothing like travel to expand your horizons. Especially at a young age.
By the way, I used to fly over to London on a Thursday night, buy/sell/trade records all day Friday at the London shops, go to the Victoria Record Fair on the Saturday & Sunday and fly home Monday. Man, those were the days!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

DOWNLOAD THE MIXTAPE HERE!
<https://soundcloud.com/alltomorrowspart ... -the-radio>

Feel free to share it with your friends who attended ATP with you. The
mixtape is chock-full of music from the event such as TV On The Radio,
De La Soul, DOOM, Why?, !!!, Antibalas, Spank Rock, El-P, Tinariwen,
Shabazz Palaces, Thee Oh Sees, CSS, Celebration, Talibam!, Daniel
Higgs (Lungfish), North America and many more.
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one Hoftstadter, look forward to a full report from yourself.. and maybe some photos?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

that was one of the most fun weekends of my life. Sure Liverpool Psych Fest and APF always have incredibly amazing (and larger) line-ups, but I can't really imagine anything coming together quite the way ATP does...

Some quick highlights:
- Insanely wild dancing/moshing during my hometown heroes No Age's set
- Cryptograms being performed live, just the whole thing was beautiful, waving from the ambient/noise interludes totally washing you away to longass kraut jams (octet has always been my favorite deerhunter song, that was some cathartic dancing for me)
- Chaos descending upon the crowd/stage/security guards during "Nothing Ever Happened," cole from the black lips running out from backstage to fight a guard/defend some fans, bradford cox sort of symbolically throwing his wig at this guard who sort of pushed him around/called him a faggot when he had tried to intervee (ironic given deerhunter's first album-ish things title - for those unaware, it's untitled but colloquially known as 'turn it up, faggot,' which was an insult tossed at bradford a lot when they were first performing in athens ga), the band just absolutely plowing through the jam the whole time, everybody's dancing and freaking out and moshing, moses absolutely chugging away at the motor(ik) drums, feedback roaring, bradford sort of mounting the monitors and playing his guitar almost phallically, hitting his guitar strings producing more epic feedback as he stood over the guards and wild crowd... one of the coolest, most exciting, fun jams EVER. so happy to have been a part of that.
- Smoking a joint with sonic fucking boom before panda bear's set (or rather, after hanging out with him for a while, him asking me if i wanted to and i said of course, but then he realized he left the materials in the room and panda bear's set was about to start so there was no time, but who cares, it's the thought that counts, we all embellish a little sometimes :lol: i was wearing my sp3 shirt and he came up to me - he had remembered me from meeting at dublab/after his show in a la a month or two ago, so it wasn't totally out of the blue that we were hanging out, i felt dorky that i was wearing the shirt while talking to him though but he didn't mind, it was obviously rad seeing him there as i had no idea he would be there/he has over the past year or two become my biggest hero musically + jason of course)
- tim gane's set (as cavern of anti matter) - he was on 2 (2!!) korg ms-20s, plus a modular synth, an insanely nice organ (couldn't quite tell the make but it was clearly rad) and some other gear - it was all new stuff with joe dillworth drumming (got to hang out with him for a while the next day because it turned out this girl i had been talking to about berlin, where she was from and where i just was this past week, during their whole soundcheck - i got there really early cause i am a huge stereolab fan, second only to sp3/all related stuff - was joe's girlfriend - always good to strike up conversations with whomever ya might feel like doing so with is one big lesson i have learned as i have been traveling - sorry for this insanely long parenthetical) and some other guy on guitar who sounded exactly like he was michael rother - this essentially could have been a neu set, it was so fucking dancey. and THEN at the end of it bradford cox And Laetitia Sadier came out for one 'lab song (the latter wasn't a huge surprise because she came out during soundcheck - she barely even waved at tim....)... her set on sunday was actually not that exciting, nice, but i wanted to like it a lot more than i actually did, just sort of simple pop (not even stereolab-y pop) - i was talking to her on sunday when she was standing next to me waiting for another band to start, and she made a joke about going to the beach next to the holiday camp and swimming naked at midnight and said 'what, you don't have that tradition in america?' and i just totally froze and got super nervous and geeky and you can imagine what that might have been like...
- these highlights are turning out to be not-so-quick, i am racing to get them out before i head over to tame impala tonight
- by the way molly nilsson was absolutely rad at berghain, more on that later though...
- the black lips were just good ole classic raucous fun
- sunday: call it the lay down day, because that's what i did at three separate shows (and seemed to start a minitrend at each) and they were all a blast - blues control & laraaji, steve reich + the london sinfonietta, and william basinski - each unique, each blissing us all out/transporting everyone...
- also, sunday night - at black dice, who i'm not a huge fan of, but were essentially doing just a monster noisy-beat with maybe four marshall stacks behind them in a place that mind you only could hold about 1500-2000 (2nd stage couldn't fit everybody - thankfully almost all the sets on the stages never overlapped so you never had to miss more than 5-10 minutes of something), i danced next to laraaji (sorry for confusing syntax in that sentence). that was absurd. laraaji at black dice... he left though i don't think he was digging it too much... :lol:
- bradford and lockett doing a sit with chris frantz and tina weymouth that was just a 45 minute jam, sounded it like it was straight out of tago mago era can, wish i knew what it was, maybe it was a tom tom club thing? unfortunately i missed their set :(
- bradford cox's speech after they finished halcyon digest on sunday night, but before the encore - the whole weekend he had been super friendly to everyone (on and off stage - i even saw him go up to the skinhead security guard he got in a fight with and apologize for spitting at him, which seemed super mature of him, especially given the fact that the whole sort of punk vibe that happened on the 'microcastle' night started over something silly - the guards yanking fans down and over the rail next to the stage the whole weekend whenever they tried to crowd surf - eventually at the end of the night when they were playing 'circulation' the whole band with loopers running and of course moses still drumming sort of one by one jumped into the crowd and the everybody in the crowd was up surfing, finally just overwhelming the guards so they gave up - but yeah, cool that bradford realized even though the whole punk thing was fun, it was also rooted in something sort of silly, i.e. the guards just doing their job/trying to protect people, and even though it clearly made him anxious/angry on stage since they were sort of hurting people/prevented people from having fun/felt 'inauthentic' to him i bet, he still later on was able to recognize that jesus christ another really long parenthetical my bad), anyways that last speech, just made it feel like the two thousand or so people at the festival, including the artists and all of deerhunter were one big family, sharing bradford's and lockett's and frankie's and moses's and i'm sure tons of other people's best weekend of all of our lives...
- and then blasting off into a cathartic rendition of monomania to close the weekend off, i swear it felt like the floor was about to break as it was bouncing up and down with everybody jumping
- also, meeting some rad people at around 3 am just wandering around the 'chalets' having some 3am molly with 'em and listening to music/getting toasted as the sun rose...
- everybody was just so friendly the whole weekend.
- there are other bands that were fun, but that was the stuff that really rose above to another level

camber sands:
this place was fucking WEIRD. it felt like a desolate ex-prisoner of war camp which has had this bizarre dinsoaur/zebra cartoon posters put up all over it, a massive arcade installed, a cheesy pub, an abandoned go-kart track put in (looks like it's never been used), the worst cafeteria thing you can imagine (fortunately there was a vegan food truck right outside the main building with the two stages), weird playgrounds, creepy ads asking you to 'please, stay one more night!' it felt like it would have been the most depressing place to go for vacation if you were anywhere over the age of 10, and if you went when you were younger you would now look back and think what the hell was i thinking enjoying this place. i can't imagine what it's like when there's just like 40-50 people there in the whole complex. on the other hand, with 2000 or so people there to see good music and just have fun, the weirdness of it became cool and silly and fun to make fun of, and just provided this very whacky ambiance to the whole event. you could just wander around at night and people would be having mini-room parties at like 2 am, there was a cinema that was screening a pretty amazing series of films all selected by deerhunter (including eric isaacson of miss. rekkerds stuff and a q/a with him and bradford), as well as two tv stations in every room fully programmed by deerhunter - also, there is a market right there where you can get all your food/room supplies, the rooms have stoves/ovens/microwaves/toasters/fridges and a full set of dishes/cutlery, so you can cook whatever you want...

okay i have to leave now sorry for verbal diarrhea, i just wanted to type this all out at once before i forgot - sorry for horrible punctuation/absurdly long sentences/bad syntax/etc pretty much was just writing whatever came to my head and didn't proof read or revise at all, hope you can read it okay!

i will be sure to post photos in a few weeks once i get back home/have everything developed/then scan the choice ones.

i just copied and pasted this from the what gigs have i got coming up thread, i sort of got carried away with my 'quick highlights' and did most of the write-up right there
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

don't apologise about the long post, you really painted a picture of the weekend :)
you and Sonic Boom seem best buddies now haha.. so he wasn't there performing with anybody? was he just there as a punter?
you really sum up the ambience of these holiday camps. not sure if you have similar things in the states? i grew up in a working class family so we had many jaunts to those sorts of places when i was younger.. yeah they are pretty tacky and outdated now :) but its kind of cool when ATP brings these hip/cool indie bands to them.. kind of a weird contrast, and also throws up so many random encounters.. and yeah the chalet parties are cool!
roll on November :)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

he was just there as a punter! by the way that is a new term for me that i was hearing a lot and sort of confused by, just realized what it means...

just got a ton of film back from my vacation, a lot of film got messed up i think because of some problem with the sutter - i really can't tell what it was - randomly the bottom two thirds of about half the shots is completely black, but the top third is perfectly developed/exposed, as if something was in front of the camera...- at least two of the three bars of the little mechanical hatch for the shutter maybe didn't open and so created this black area at the bottom two thirds on almost all shots of every roll...) majorly bummed, especially cause the camera (35 years old) has never had problems since i had it and also cause of all the money developing the film (even just for a high res cd to decide what to make prints of later)... it was so expensive as it was over a month's worth of film that i had building; never realized the shutter mechanism was messed up cause i was waiting to develop the stuff until after I got back... ahhh frustrated. there were very few shots that were okay, but at least this one came out, which is sorta rad (especially cause of the diamond in the muck type quality of the shot making it through):

I'll probably cut it up so there's not such a huge black frame (the bottom third got covered by the shutter not closing all the way i think, but it's okay because that was a really dark area anyways - i'll upload a photo later where the line is much more distinct, maybe mr. redcloud could take a look it and take a guess what the problem is, but it still looks pretty cool right off the bat... tim gane of stereolab (his band 'cavern of anti-matter' - w/ joe dillworth, original stereolab drummer and one other dood - were playing, laetitia sadier also came out but this is tim with bradford)

oh yeah, that's the wig bradford threw later and also tim gane is at his two korg ms-20s...