Pappy & Harriets, Pioneer Town - 4/16/2013

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Multi
Known user

Pappy & Harriets, Pioneer Town - 4/16/2013

Post by Multi »

He sang all of Take Good Care of It:

Here It Comes
Hey Jane
Electricity/Shine A Light
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Let It Flow
Rated X
Oh Baby
Medication
Soul on Fire
D Song
Perfect Miracle
So Long You Pretty Thing
I Think I'm In Love
Take Your Time

Walking With Jesus/Take Good Care of It
Last edited by Multi on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dselevan2
Known user

Re: Pappy & Harriets, Pioneer Town - 4/16/2013

Post by dselevan2 »

WHAT A GREAT SHOW
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

'Soul on Fire' was there too after 'Medication'.
what an amazing show! 'Let it Flow' with the backup singers was truly a highlight for me. Loved hearing the new songs!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

slide_song wrote:'Soul on Fire' was there too after 'Medication'.
Jason start playing this at the Las Vegas show, but aborted it before singing. Very cool! I wonder how it sounded with the American rhythm section.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Great set list, band, lights, songs.
Thank you.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I'd kill for a recording of this to pop up.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

is he getting bored of shsl?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

certainly seems that way! can't understand why heading for that top and I am what I am have been dropped.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Chris Barrus wrote:"'D' Song:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGNc8bA_bo
Who said that phones at gig's was a bad thing! Definitely not when it means I get to hear a new spz song in the morning. :!:

Really like that, its got quite a JJ Cale ring to it.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Yeah, cheers Chris!

Wonder if the new record will be A Song, Bb Song, B Song, C Song, C# Song....
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

Well I'll go ahead and say this was 1) the best Spiritualized show I've ever seen (only seen them since 2008 A&E tour...) 2) the best show I've seen at Pappy and Harriets (in 6 years of going there) so it must be 3) the best show I've ever seen...

I think I found the best spot to experience this show...I was in front of the stage in the center 1/2way back to the soundboard...

In this spot 3 things were apparent:

1) Pappy and Harriets is my favourite spot in southern california, if not the western USA...you're on the boundary of the Mojave and Colorado deserts, and you can see this boundary here as you can in Joshua Tree. We live in Denver now, and were so excited to have a wedding the same weekend as this show...when we got there Jason was milling about behind the stage...in conversation he said that after last year's show in Solana Beach (belly up tavern) he got in a car and drove right to Pappy's...so this show must have meant something special to him too...

2) there was a geometric pattern in shape of a star formed by jason and doggen, the singers and the bass player, the drummer, and the moon - which at the start of the show was directly at the top of the star shape...as the show progressed, the moon set behind the stage so when 'take your time' was finished, that was time for me to leave...

3) I was also standing in the audio 'sweet spot' - this gave me one of the best mixed shows I've ever heard. The guitars rang from each side of the stage...when the ladies' vocals came in, they chimed like birds above the roar of the rest of the band...each had their own side of the mix as well, and it was beautiful.

So...the band was indeed in fine fine form. I now know what the term "lift-off" means (spzretent), and the band achieved this many times throughout the night! In fact, the spaceman Jams during the set were the most controlled but most intense audio experiences I've ever had...truly amazing...I was being held up by sound...those around me could only grab those near them and express themselves by mere touch...words had no purpose at this point.

The background vocalists were so energetic - bouncing around, their voices lighting up the night sky, making hand gestures to go along with the music...LOVE THEM!

Bass drums and keys were spot on...not enough good things I could say about those guys...they are having a blast and doing the justice to Jason's songs they deserve so well...

Doggen...you old so'n'so...

'I think I'm in love' was the highlight of the show...they way the do the 2nd half of the song is just perfect - doesn't get heavy like the royal albert hall / radio city music hall versions...just keeps that beat and intensity the whole song through...wonderful!

I was the tall guy...dancing most of the night...if I held on to you to brace myself during these intense moments I thank you for your support...

When 'take your time' finished, I snuck out the back and into the parking lot...to the desert to our campsite...i heard the encore echoing across the walls of the valley...although I missed 'take good care of it'...the message was received...

Melina I'm sorry we didn't get together!

Record joshua tree / yucca bloom was an absolute delight and icing on the cake for an amazing day in the desert...

Best of luck in Mexico...as with the last tour, I will miss you all!!!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'm beginning to think that the next album will be one of my favourite albums ever, I think that every new song, A song, D song, Here it comes and Perfect miracle are as good as if not better than my favourites on SHSL. Given that the last time they played with a full orchestra at the RAH they previewed SHSL, maybe they'll play the new album as an encore for the LAGWAFIS show in Dublin :D
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Posted this before, but removed it due to the photos not being cleaned properly. Here it is again for those interested:

Arrived early for the gig, met the band, then watched and photographed their soundcheck beforehand. Jason's guitar playing was far looser and more heavily psyched out than when they played live, and getting to hear Here it Comes (amongst others) multiple times was actually enjoyable considering it's a solid tune.

Anyways, everything was shot on film stock using a F100 with 50mm and 85mm prime lenses: http://www.twentyonefiftyfour.com/gospel-music/
Last edited by Multi on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojo filters
Known user

LIVE RECORDING REQUEST, US TOUR

Post by mojo filters »

I don't suppose anyone can help me with a decent recording of this or similar gig from some part of this US tour up to around the Coachella period?

Unfortunately my laptop's been out of action since before the US tour began up until a week or so ago. The iPad I used would't let me download any torrents or Sendspace/Dropbox type files, hence I've only been able to get recent stuff - Coachella (torrent, not heard yet as only just completed) and Chicago (both Dime FLACs and Bza's enhanced tracks). Having heard the Chicago gig a couple of times now I feel I really need a similar quality recording of an earlier gig, if at all possible, to get a better idea of the sound of the new band, due to the sound issues during the first half of that one plus the lack of backup singers, and also the shorter 'festival' nature of Coachella.

If there are active torrents or dropbox type links anyone could direct me to that would be great. If a kind soul could sort me out with a link or links to download any decent FLACs or good mp3's it would be greatly appreciated!

I found the sound of the new band interesting on the Chicago boot, but feel the lack of backup singers really affected certain songs, and can't say I was particularly enamored of the drumming in places as well. However this may be at least partly due to what seemed like sound issues for the first half of the gig - hence I'm very very keen to get another more representative recording of an average gig with this new mostly American band.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle