Chicago 12 -Jul -13

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

awhigsnet
New user

Chicago 12 -Jul -13

Post by awhigsnet »

Anyone know what to expect at the Chicago show this week? I'm hoping for such great classics as Sway, Take Good Care of It, and a rousing version of Lay Back in the Sun with full strobe lights.

Here is a nice video I took in 2012 @ Metro Chicago.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZTUw6z-kcw
mojo filters
Known user

Re: Chicago 12 -Jul -13

Post by mojo filters »

Have they actually been playing Take Good Care Of It at the American gigs recently? I'm sure others will, like me, have live boots where Take Your Time is mistitled as such. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that it only featured regularly in live sets from the FUI period. I can't even think of a live gig in my collection with it in, though that may well be because though I have many live boots, over 95% of the time I tend to only listen to a regular few many times over.

Anyways I'd be interested to know for the sake of curiosity.

Also something I thought of recently but can't recall hearing information about - have any details of the band lineup for the Dublin Ladies and Gentlemen... show been made public? I know the current band is playing the three summer dates, so do we assume Dublin will be the same, perhaps with the addition of John Coxon and Tim Lewis?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I get the impression the Dublin show will have the same line-up as the rest of this year's shows. Although additions outside of the regular members will obviously happen like with the past LAGWAFIS shows.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My friend is telling me about the Chicago show as it's happening. She's not enjoying it. Says that they are playing a lot of new material and the energy is really low. Says that the crowd also isn't into it.

I'd love to hear these "new songs"!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

someone posted this earlier-

http://instagram.com/p/bsYg-DPaLE/
toomilk wrote:Says that they are playing a lot of new material and the energy is really low. Says that the crowd also isn't into it.

I'd love to hear these "new songs"!
this doesn't surprise me- sounds like what brmc was like a few months ago.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah, my friend sent the same pic to me.
jglynn
New user

Post by jglynn »

No backup singers tonight. That right there set the change in place that made this show somewhat awkward. Not sure where they would have stood anyway as the stage was cramped as it was. I dug the show although as pointed out the energy was a bit off. A lot of new songs made the show really interesting for me but sort seemed to have taken the toehold away from a lot of folks in the crowd. Seemed like a lot of people were having a hard time settling in. Screw them though, I just shut my eyes anyway.
As far as the new songs go, some of the songs were a bit more fleshed out than others, I wish I could piece together what was what based on the setlist but I have to hear the new ones again to really solidify my opinion on them individually. Any night I can see Jason and Doggen play Electricity, Let It Flow, She Kissed Me and Come Together I'm a happy man. And hearing So Long You Pretty Things wraps it all up nicely and slaps a bow on it. I dug the new rhythm section although I felt the bass was cranked up a bit too high for a lot of the set. Seemed to tone it down at the end of the night. Was hoping for Shine A Light and Walking With Jesus but it wasn't meant to be. All in all not the best Spiritualized show I've seen but it was Spiritualized and I'm glad to have been there.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they didn't play 'Perfect Miracle' ?

very cool to play so much new material. combination of that and new lineup means it must have a very different feel to even just a couple of years ago.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I disagree about the energy being low. All of my friends were buzzing and applause is very enthusiastic throughout the night. The new material was beautiful. Both "The Morning After" and "Let's Dance" were superb soul numbers, but less pop than "Perfect Miracle". Stunning. Unfortunately, the mix for the louder material was poor up until "She Kissed Me" (pretty much the same deal as when they played Metro last year). The quiet songs sounded great ("Here Comes The Road"), but the rockers suffered. The bass was really boomy and overpowered Doggen's guitar, but the mix was pretty well straightened by the time they got to "She Kissed Me". I was really blown away by the new material. Can't wait to hear the next album. I had a chat with Kid Millions and he said that he wasn't sure if/when they'd be recording, but that it wouldn't be with Tony Visconti.

Oh ... there was a dude totally bombed out of his mind behind me that decided to howl like a dog with his own "melodies" during "Let's Dance". Fucking awful.
Attachments
IMG_7983.JPG
IMG_7983.JPG (216.97 KiB) Viewed 13201 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (116.3 KiB) Viewed 13206 times
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

let's dance? a very spz title. maybe the album will be called 'ladies night'

was i'm your ,man a cover?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Dr wrote:let's dance? a very spz title. maybe the album will be called 'ladies night'

was i'm your ,man a cover?
Nope. So many new songs last night. Awesome.

I forgot to mention that Kid Millions told me that the only reason they had to reschedule the next few shows was because there was a problem finding a tour bus or something silly like that.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

o good. don't suppose anyone bootlegged? how many of these tracks will never see the light of day or are they actual album material? if so what would you expect it to be? a poppier shsl?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
awhigsnet
New user

Post by awhigsnet »

I thought last nights show was amazing, maybe one of the best I have seen from them. The sound was was right on and there was a great energy and attention to detail that was missing in the 2012 shows I saw. The new drummer really does add something to this incarnation of the band. As far as the lack of backup singers I really didn't miss them....
The setlist was great, let it flow, take good care of it, here it comes were all awesome. Some of the ever evolving details of these songs really made the night.
Those new songs were great too, good to see this quality of material in the pipeline.
I took some random audio, if any of it turned out I'll post it, My only complaint was there was way too much chatter in the crowd.
Why the fuck people pay 40$ for a ticket and talk through the whole show Ill never understand.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Dr wrote:a poppier shsl?
Much as I loved the RAH gig, and love much of the album, can music get more bland than the dull and insipid "Freedom"?

If so I fear for the next album, especially now Tony Visconti seems to be out - he's skilled at making soft sounds impact hard, such as his good work with Dean & Britta.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

TheWarmth, those are my hands in your pic there!
i thought "here it comes (the road)/here comes the road" and "i'm your man" were especially beautiful last night. was this the first time the latter has been played at a show?

the crowd seemed into the show (some more so than others) from where i was - however loud, drunk talking during the beginning of "all of my tears" and the shouting out of song requests and other goofy things happened which is just so not right at all. someone did yell out "good job, drummer!" after a song (maybe "let it flow"?) which was perfectly appropriate because this same thought was probably on everyone's minds. anyway, it got a nice smile from kid millions :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Looking at that setlist, I wonder how they do Let it Flow without backup singers?
Dave Chappelle
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

FLACs are up on Dime!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Could anyone please re-up them elsewhere? Have never succeeded with a Dime login.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

mojo filters wrote:Looking at that setlist, I wonder how they do Let it Flow without backup singers?
Check the Royal Festival Hall show from 2004.
Quite possibly my favourite Let It Flow ever.
Whole show is up on youtube somewhere.

And FTR, I prefer no back up singers for the live show (except for the Ladies & Gentlemen shows).
I feel they detract on some songs such as Shine A Light, but it is always fun to hear them say 'Good Dope, Good Fun.'
Bring back the horns to the stage is what I say.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

slide_song: My buddy Pete took a photo of your setlist and emailed it to me. Thanks for that!

mojofilters: As for "Let It Flow," they just do without the "woah-woah"s. There's a wonderful sonic freakout in the middle now where Kid Millions goes nuts and then it snaps abruptly right back into the song. I don't know how the fuck they do that, but it's wonderful. Also, I have to disagree with you about "Freedom". It's not the best song from SHSL, but I really enjoy it. I actually think the quieter material is the best mixed and best sounding from that album.

As for the new songs, I would not say that the overall vibe is a poppier SHSL. "A Perfect Miracle" probably fits that description, but none of the other songs do. The soulful ones were incredibly beautiful. There are a few awesome groove-based songs that chug along nicely. One was blues based, but really grimey and fuzzed up. I hope a decent recording of this show turns up.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:FLACs are up on Dime!
Any chance someone can hook me up with a download link for mp3s? I've never used Dime before.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

I'll upload MP3's now. Some moments of the show are amazing, really want to experience this live.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:I'll upload MP3's now.
thank you!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:FLACs are up on Dime!

Have grabbed the torrent, but the description says track 1 "Here Comes the Road" is incomplete. Any chance someone has full flac/wav of that song they can upload to complete the show?

Right now the torrent's looking good - I got 7/25 seeds and 1/2 peers with an ETA of 6 hours. Once complete I'll keep seeding for as long as possible, though as my ancient laptop is prone to overheating I can't keep it up 24/7.
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hopefully by later tonight (tomorrow at the latest) I'll fire up the usual 'enhanced' version - working my way through the songs as we speak. The taper has done an excellent job, great frequency range and no distortion, it's just the final audio files are very quiet.

For what's it's worth - I'll miss the backing singers. What they brought to the versions of 'Shine a Light' on the A&E tour was as good as it gets. Ditto for all the more recent versions of 'Walking With Jesus'.
Maybe it's just for this particular tour segment or whatever?
O P 8
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Mojo, the taper mentions that there was a problem at the start - don't think a full Here It Comes exists from this show.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Mojo, the taper mentions that there was a problem at the start - don't think a full Here It Comes exists from this show.
Oh yeah, I know - I meant if someone has just that track from another recent show. I'm also still waiting for my torrent of Coachella to finish (and it's very slow) so I don't have any version of that track from the American tour (or anywhere else).
Dave Chappelle
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

BzaInSpace wrote:For what's it's worth - I'll miss the backing singers. What they brought to the versions of 'Shine a Light' on the A&E tour was as good as it gets.
I maintain that the Shine A Light from the 2012 RAH show is one of the best versions ever (same with Cheapster): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViKTqEXCuzk

Really looking forward to the Chicago files Bza, and while I haven't mentioned it before, I appreciate everything you've contributed in the bootlegs thread.
alienrendel23
Known user

Post by alienrendel23 »

Hey all, I am new to the board. I am the taper from the Chicago show the other night & i hope everyone who wants to gets a chance to enjoy the recording. The show from last year @ the Metro is also still seeding here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=404229

I think TheWarmths review above is pretty right on. I've seen Spiritualized about 10-12 times now, but never seen them bust out a bunch of new material, so I thought that was really cool. I'm sad that I had recorder issues during the 1st tune as it was really good. The mix overall was not great, especially during the 1st half of the show. Vocals and guitars were mixed low and the whole thing was very quiet. It's odd to be standing 10 feet from the stacks and still have trouble hearing the music over all the discussion going on around, but hopefully that doesn't turn up too much from the recording.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

It's a great recording, thank you! Really great to get these new songs.

Mojo, the Coachella Here It Comes is also plagued with problems (there is essentially no sound!) so I enclose a recording of it from the Sydney Opera House last year - http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wuud2gp ... _Comes.mp3

The MP3's will be up in about half an hour, folks.
alienrendel23
Known user

Post by alienrendel23 »

So, I'm curious....does anyone know the impetus behind this tour? Am I right that there were only 3-4 shows scheduled and Chicago is the only one that actually occurred? I know there are UK festival shows coming up later in the month, I just wonder what the band were even doing in the US.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i dunno.
they are also doing two dates w the flaming lips.
one is tomorrow night (which i will be at) and another in pittsburgh in a few days.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Goodnightgoodnight and alienrendel23, you've made my day.
thanks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the mp3's! Sounds really good to me so far. "Let's Dance" is just incredible. Super soul.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

You're welcome! All credit to alienrendel23, of course. Those new songs are something. The new bit of A Song is spectacular.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

alienrendel23 wrote:So, I'm curious....does anyone know the impetus behind this tour? Am I right that there were only 3-4 shows scheduled and Chicago is the only one that actually occurred? I know there are UK festival shows coming up later in the month, I just wonder what the band were even doing in the US.
Kind of amazing, right?
Even when the official site was functional, there was very little information coming out of that camp.
You'd figure with Twitter and the 'official' Spiritualized Facebook page you'd be able to find out some information.
I wonder if they even pay a publicist.

The only way now that I know they're coming near me is an email I receive from Ticketmaster every so often only because they know I have bought tickets for Spiritualized in the past.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A new and improved site is being worked on. Just not happening as fast as we would like.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Thanks to all involved with the sounds..
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Here's the show as reproduced for 320mp3 and with additional sonic enhancement - massive thanks and respect to the original taper AlienRendel23 - what a great recording!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8kslg2cjoca5 ... 202013.zip

Pretty awesome setlist with a good chunk of brand new stuff. Great to see 'Headin' For The Top Now' back as well. I personally think though that the girls are really needed on the likes of 'So Long You Pretty Thing' and especially 'Hey Jane' - their hair-raising accompaniment throughout is well missed here.

And, I can't be the only person feeling disappointed that the first line of 'Let's Dance' isn't

"...put on your red shoes and dance the blues away..."

:wink:
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I'm right there with you, Bza.
Although for me, "lord have mercy on all of the drunks today" more than makes up for it
pcpworldwide
New user

Post by pcpworldwide »

Thanks Bza! Great to hear some of the new songs.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :lol:

thanks a lot for this. sounds like a brilliant gig!
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Cheers for the recording!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

listened to this today. Sounds like an incredible show!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks so much! I got the FLACs from Dime and put Bza's mastered tracks on my phone; have only listened through twice so far on my very average Sony in-ear phones - hence need more time to comment, though I pretty much agree with much said already on this thread. Having said that while I love the progress made with "A Song" I'm not so sure about some of the other new tracks, however I need to give it a proper listen several more times before I can give opinions with certainty.

Thanks once again for giving me the opportunity to get this recording - great work!
Dave Chappelle
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thanks for sharing this. i finally got around to listening to this (i've been playing catch up since i got back in town on tuesday). it sounds amazing, the performance takes some time to warm up but gets to a nice, ferocious level. i've had my doubts about the new lineup, but this recording has effectively dashed them completely.

i really wish i could've been at this show, but having this recording is a very nice consolation prize and it is much appreciated!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

thanks very much for the recordings.

A nice review of this show here http://www.depauliaonline.com/arts-life ... -1.3048896
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

As the sun has decided to take a day off I finally got round to listening to this recording (thanks AlienRendel & BZA). Have to say I found Kid Millions to be remarkably restrained on the drums, not the percussion assault I was expecting at all. Band still sounds a little ragged to me. Of the new material 'A Song' is still the clear standout. Also liked 'D Song' and 'The Morning After' but i'm unsure about 'I'm Your Man' and 'Let's Dance', the latter reminding me a bit of Roy Orbison ( dunno if that's a good or bad thing ). At the moment both songs have the potential to be either something good or very dull. Still not sure of 'Here It Comes (The Road Let's Go) either, seems a bit throwaway and a little pointless.

Overall, it comes across as just another Spiritualized gig, noteworthy for the amount of new material rather than anything else. Imo at least.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not having been at the gig, obviously my critique should be taken with the proverbial salt pinch. However a number of issues stand out, as I will detail below:

Here it comes (the road) - recording cock-ups happen even in pro live recording; we have to live with them, however the listenable bits indicate this was a great performance of a very interesting new Spz song - potentially could have been a gig highlight.

Hey Jane - immediately is missing the backup vox, and suffers likewise throughout. Also in places the drums sound like a cheap '80s drum machine with 'fill' buttons to punctuate the rhythm. The whole band's timing sounds iffy in places, though that may have not seemed apparent on the night.

Electricity - slightly sub-par intro from Kid Millions, however he more than redeems himself over the course of the rest of the track - hence it ends up sounding great, with a fantastic pumping rhythm section.

Let it flow - would be a nice arrangement if they'd had the backing vox; Jason's plaintiff vocal after the breakdown has merit, but can't make up for what's missing ... is impactful nevertheless, he sounds like he really means it!

(yeah, turn it UP!)

The morning after - only good thing I can think to say is this reminds me of the 1998 BBC recording of "I am what I am" in that it shows promise, but the boring tune is neither nothing nor something. This could be the seed of a potentially great song; as performed here it's remarkably forgettable.

I'm your man - only thing I can conceive that would improve on this horrendously derivative tune is if Tom Jones was announced as the special guest star vocalist. As it stands, probably the worst Spiritualized song to have cursed my ears - an awful, steaming turd of a track. Maybe would have potential, if it weren't for the cliched way the main chord sequence resolves to a dreadfully predictable return to the chord that begins the phrase. He needs to either drop this now or fix it, simple as.

She kissed me (it felt like a hit) - nice, really shows off what the drummer brings to the table. The band really seem in sync here (well close enough for rock'n'roll!)

Let's dance - Cool lyrics, and lovely vocal melody. Clearly a work-in-progress, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it progresses.

D song - nice bluesy start; good use of Doggen's harmonica skills; interesting accompaniment riffing on one chord - hopefully that will develop into a more 'Spiritualized' sound.

So long you pretty thing - nice restrained drumming when it comes in, though on the recording it's a bit too sibilant for the rest of the first half of the track. The breakdown doesn't have the impact of other live and recorded versions, but what Jason lacks in vox, Doggen beautifully replaces with some nice bluesy guitar - the kind I'd like to hear more of at live shows.

A song (new reprise) - vox lost in the mix, but the instrumentation is great-sounding. However so close in the set to "D song" there's too much in common, though this number is clearly the better-developed of the two, and becomes a real sonically pummelling and driving track towards the hard-hitting climax.

Heading for the top - lovely start with just two guitars and vox, shame the bass sounds so flaccid when it comes in. Also the drums struggle when they first come in, but when he starts adding the fills it begins to come together. Not convinced about the screechy guitar, doesn't seem to positively contribute to the gradual build-up going on in the rest of the tune. Vox sounding weak towards the end.

Take your time - lacks atmosphere in the initial build up, though could just be the irritating crowd noise. However all seems to come good quite quickly. Pretty unconvincing vox when I expect the tune to take off, at the section starting "Take good care of it babe..." and they don't really pick up again, though by the point of "You know I've been thinking 'bout not coming down" it's hard to tell if it's Jason or the PA. Thankfully once the vox drop out and the guitars come to the fore it all comes together nicely.

Come together - again problems with vocal levels, but the rest of the mix sounds good and the new drummer adds a new twist to a otherwise well-known live number. Vox towards the end is indecipherable but Doggen's guitar makes up for it with some searing lead riffs. The end part where the time signature changes doesn't quite work, but we get the idea - and the idea is good, as is the drumming!

All of my tears/Take good care of it - crowd noise spoil intro, but those drones are appreciated nevertheless. Going off the setlist I'm more excited by this prospective combo of tunes than previous efforts to combine 'Take good care of it' with 'Walking with Jesus' as I've had my fill (and then some) of live renditions of the latter - the only versions I bother with these days are from later gigs on the A&E tour or Acoustic Mainlines.

Anyways whatever PA issues that previously plagued Jason's vocal have been solved, as Jason plaintively begins singing "Lord it's so hot, I ain't got a lot" in that strained, impassioned fashion that regular visitors to this place know and love. He is truly believable when he calls for "...an endless river to wash away all my tears". The tempo remains steady as he implores: "Call my name..." and the segue way into the next albeit abbreviated track slows the tempo and calms the music as he sings the first few lines of 'Take good care of it' and the style is briefly and beautifully reminiscent of early '90s live Spiritualized, as the song and gig are finally laid to rest - one of the best endings to a Spiritualized gig I can think of, and any earlier sins are forgiven for a moment in time :D
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Ha, different strokes...
to me, "I'm your man" is stunning and magical, but I simply can't stand "she kissed me..."
mojo filters wrote: Let it flow - Jason's plaintive vocal after the breakdown...he sounds like he really means it!
yes.. I wish there was a recording of last Monday's gig, with Jason chanting his heart out on this. It was beautiful, went on quite a bit longer than in Chicago, and whether he really means it or not, sounded more and more sincere and urgent with each repetition.
Last edited by ro on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote:Ha, different strokes...
to me, "I'm your man" is stunning and magical, but I simply can't stand "she kissed me..."
mojo filters wrote: Let it flow - Jason's plaintiff vocal after the breakdown...he sounds like he really means it!
"She kissed me (it felt like a hit)" is not only a brilliant lyrical inversion of the well-known '60s song, but second only to "Cheapster" it's the best song from Amazing Grace by a country mile. But that's a separate arguement.

To describe "I'm your man" as in any way shape or form either 'magical' or [shudder] 'stunning' is like ignoring Pachabel's Canon and stating Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space was an original melody.

What I like about Jason Pierce/Spiritualized's music is Originality ie music no one else is making. Obviously over the course of such a long career there will be repetition and influence that can colour certain tracks quite clearly in some cases and very subtly in others.

And yes there will be cases where a prolific artist produces derivative music. However there is a hypothetical red line that the educated, musically-conversant and history-literate consumer of an artists' output reaches, where we stop and say: NO - THAT IS A BRIDGE TOO FAR!

There is a point where you plumb the depths of musical cliche and come up with something horrible in error. It's musically as abhorrent as the Florida Stand your ground laws and the acquittal of Trayvon Martin's murderer ... I would go on but I think I made my point sufficiently for now...

I'm happy to admit there will be differing opinions about musical taste, and embrace the opportunity to discuss such. However when you appreciate the music of a decent band like Spiritualized, and one spots a grievous error, all I have left is the opportunity to stand my own ground and have faith in my informed opinion, where I can state with all the authority I can muster that I'm your man in it's current incarnation is just WRONG in the context of the Spiritualized musical canon.

I rest my case and look forward to arguing it in the future :wink:
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

mojo filters wrote:"She kissed me (it felt like a hit)" is not only a brilliant lyrical inversion of the well-known '60s song
I know, and certainly agree that it's clever.

I hate to ruffle your feathers more, but I dislike "cheapster" even more than "she kissed me..."

Rock on! :grin:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote:
mojo filters wrote:"She kissed me (it felt like a hit)" is not only a brilliant lyrical inversion of the well-known '60s song
I know, and certainly agree that it's clever.

I hate to ruffle your feathers more, but I dislike "cheapster" even more than "she kissed me..."

Rock on! :grin:
Heresy!

Cheapster was simply the natural corollary, the song Electricity could have been.

Unfortunately reduced record co support and possibly the prevalence of the latter on pub jukeboxes meant Cheapster never got a fighting chance.

How can you not love a song with the lyric:

It's a bitter pill to swallow
But I'll fuckin' neck 'em all

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

mojo filters wrote:To describe "I'm your man" as in any way shape or form either 'magical' or [shudder] 'stunning' is like ignoring Pachabel's Canon and stating Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space was an original melody.
Isn't more like saying "Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space" is magical and stunning?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

to me, "I'm your man" is stunning and magical
If my ancient 8 track was primed and ready to go, I reckon in less than 30 mins I could produce a better piece of music than I'm your man (a bit like the Beta Band did on radio 1 about fifteen years ago).

That said, I can give a taste through some lyrics I'm making up as I type:

I'm tired bereft and boring
Lyrics fail to trip off my tongue
I'm sitting bored and drunk and tired
There's nothing left, I'm done

Bland music is easy, inspiring material takes hard work and perspiration.
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Sorry, technical issues...
Last edited by ro on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote:
mojo filters wrote:To describe "I'm your man" as in any way shape or form either 'magical' or [shudder] 'stunning' is like ignoring Pachabel's Canon and stating Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space was an original melody.
Isn't more like saying "Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space" is magical and stunning?
Ladies and gentleman... is indeed magical, and in my opinion became more so when Jason had to go back and rewrite the ending ... but you can't avoid the musical influence of Pachabel's Canon - however this benefits this track, as opposed to utilising a musical cliche to poor effect, a la I'm your man.
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Well, heck. funnily enough, it's partly the lyrics (the ones I can make out) that draw me to "I'm your man".
The rest I gotta sleep on. Having technical trouble anyway.
Have a good night!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I can't pinpoint what I love about IYM, something in the delivery/presentation of the vocals and the rolling guitar, something about being cut-up and fallen. yes it does feel spare and rough but that's only natural at this point and to be honest I like it that way, but do look forward to hearing how it'll change with time.

Mojo, I doubt we'll see eye to eye on any of this, clearly we have very different tastes... e.g., I like guitarloops. Yikes!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mojo filters wrote:
to me, "I'm your man" is stunning and magical
If my ancient 8 track was primed and ready to go, I reckon in less than 30 mins I could produce a better piece of music than I'm your man (a bit like the Beta Band did on radio 1 about fifteen years ago).

That said, I can give a taste through some lyrics I'm making up as I type:

I'm tired bereft and boring
Lyrics fail to trip off my tongue
I'm sitting bored and drunk and tired
There's nothing left, I'm done

Bland music is easy, inspiring material takes hard work and perspiration.
"If my ancient 8 track was primed and ready to go" ... I love the way you start off your rant with an excuse as to why you can't come up with the goods. Do it. Let's hear what you've got. I loved that song when I saw this gig. I get that you aren't enjoying it based on the bootleg live recording, but to come out and claim that you can do better ... well, I'm calling you on this. I guess it needs to be written and recorded in less than 30 minutes, too. I'll take your word for it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I think sometimes the magic of Spiritualized is in the fact that it sounds so easy, but thats purely down to the fact that Jason is great song writer.

Great music isn't based on how hard stuff is to play. Its based on how it touches you and makes you feel. I think 'I'm your man' is a really great song, to my ears a more pop sounding Rated X.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

In hindsight I was perhaps a bit premature, and certainly rather drunk. I'm not quite sure why I brought lyrics into the equation, as it was the tune I was criticising.

Very fair point re my half hour claim. Overreaching again on my part. However I still maintain I'm Your Man is a dreary and derivative tune. I agree with the point above about the charm of many Spiritualized songs is in their apparent simplicity, that does not apply here, in my opinion.
Dave Chappelle
alienrendel23
Known user

Post by alienrendel23 »

While watching the show, I very much got the impression that the new songs were in various states of completion. Some of them seemed like much more polished, finished songs and others seemed like they were very unfinished, had much looser arrangements and the band was less confident on them. My expectation is that these tunes will continue to get worked on and some of them will sound pretty different when/if they are released.

One of the reasons I thought this show was so cool was that I have never before seen Spiritualized playing works in progress. I found it an interesting window into the creation process.

Very sad about my issues recording the first tune as I thought it was one of the stronger songs of the night.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

When it comes to the creative process, and when it comes to Spiritualized I really appreciate the opportunity to be in from the ground floor up.

But my patience has limits even when it comes to my most favorite of bands. Whilst my comments were rather hasty and ill judged, I simply can find no redeeming features in the recording of I'm your man that justify it's inclusion in this set.

However I hope to be proved wrong in the future!
Dave Chappelle
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Who brought the cool guy?