Chicago 12 -Jul -13

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

pale blue eyes
Known user

Re: Chicago 12 -Jul -13

Post by pale blue eyes »

Hiya all,i finally found the forum (thanks Barry!) good to see so many familiar names are still posting. thought i would give a quick review of the Pittsburgh gig...it was the worst i have ever seen by them. i TOTALLY agree about the energy level, it felt drained. the slower numbers lost the crowd. Dogged had a rough nite, blowing intros and just off (i feel for him as i've had those nites, it's enough to pull your hair out). the new band didn't seem to have the ebb and flow of recent lineups. the older numbers felt forced and didn't have the 'space' that they needed. could barely hear the keys with the exception of the drone. maybe i just miss Kevin, Ashley and most importantly Sir John Coxon. also the absence of the back up singers was sorely missed. they played a few new tracks and a few standards, luckily no "WWJ" was played. highlite of the show was 'She Kissed Me' i still feel that album is sorely underrated around these parts (i'm looking at you Shaun, have you bothered to give it another spin lately?).

the new songs (albeit they are catchy) just don't really do it for me. the verses are getting too long and they seem to have this singer-songwriter quality to them. don't get me wrong i am all for progress but it seems J is pretty comfortable with this sound that he has produced over the last two albums.

it's good to be back...

me,

shonn
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

pale blue eyes wrote:Hiya all,i finally found the forum (thanks Barry!) good to see so many familiar names are still posting. thought i would give a quick review of the Pittsburgh gig...it was the worst i have ever seen by them. i TOTALLY agree about the energy level, it felt drained. the slower numbers lost the crowd. Dogged had a rough nite, blowing intros and just off (i feel for him as i've had those nites, it's enough to pull your hair out). the new band didn't seem to have the ebb and flow of recent lineups. the older numbers felt forced and didn't have the 'space' that they needed. could barely hear the keys with the exception of the drone. maybe i just miss Kevin, Ashley and most importantly Sir John Coxon. also the absence of the back up singers was sorely missed. they played a few new tracks and a few standards, luckily no "WWJ" was played. highlite of the show was 'She Kissed Me' i still feel that album is sorely underrated around these parts (i'm looking at you Shaun, have you bothered to give it another spin lately?).

the new songs (albeit they are catchy) just don't really do it for me. the verses are getting too long and they seem to have this singer-songwriter quality to them. don't get me wrong i am all for progress but it seems J is pretty comfortable with this sound that he has produced over the last two albums.

it's good to be back...

me,

shonn
Er... welcome back Shonnn but... :shock: about a million miles from the performance I saw in Holmfirth. Was this really that bad?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

pale blue eyes wrote:Hiya all,i finally found the forum (thanks Barry!)

it's good to be back...

me,

shonn
It's even better to have to have you back Shonn. If you want to reuse any of your previous login names let me know!
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

pale blue eyes wrote:Hi

it's good to be back...

me,

shonn
Welcome back Shonn.
:)
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

Just really an off show, maybe it was the PA, but it really lacked the usual punch. each track felt like the 'radio edit' version. like the best bits were left out. had i never heard them before i'm not sure i would have been a convert. i'm still gonna stand by my original feelings that it was just an off night for the band.

it's good to be back... :D

p/s- spzretent, i'm no sports fan but the Pirates are ripping it up this year. good time to live in PGH!