Spritualized - Columbus, OH 9/15/13

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

t0kdag0n
Known user

Spritualized - Columbus, OH 9/15/13

Post by t0kdag0n »

Another solid show from Jason and the band last night, though not quite as punchy as the Hopscotch performance. The space they played in had a high ceiling and I think the sound got lost a bit. Doggen could have been up higher in the mix too. No surprises with the set, same as the other stops this tour. Very quiet, rapt audience. I was pleased there was minimal talking and cell phone use. I brought a group of people and saw a few friends in the audience. With the exception of one, none in my group had seen the band before. All were blown away. Great time hanging with spzretent too.
suskind
Known user

Re: Spritualized - Columbus, OH 9/15/13

Post by suskind »

The backdrop was nice
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Unfortunately the sound floated upwards too. Still great seeing Spritualized amd meeting some new folks, drinking some good beer and seeing a city I have never been to before.
Very hospitable to say the least for several reasons.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

suskind, thanks for the photo.
that's just where I was standing for the Boston gig, totally absorbed in the music/video projections but also grooving on the white trousers/black socks/silver sneaks combo :D
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:Unfortunately the sound floated upwards too. Still great seeing Spritualized amd meeting some new folks, drinking some good beer and seeing a city I have never been to before.
Very hospitable to say the least for several reasons.
Not sure how I missed seeing you Spzretent. First time in Columbus and was pleasantly surprised as well.
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Damn!
I completely forgot you were going. I dont access message board when I travel.
What did you think?
A
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:Damn!
I completely forgot you were going. I dont access message board when I travel.
What did you think?
A
I left my expectations at home this time and enjoyed the evening. Kid Millions drove the songs in that venue and was the most exciting aspect in my head. Exited stage right after Take Your Time as that topped the gig perfectly 8)
I think I feel it coming on
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

i drove up from kentucky for the show, and much like purespace stated, left my expectations at home. the setup of the venue was positively strange and almost had a warehouse feeling to it. i was surprised by how many younger folks were in the audience and overheard a couple different conversations that included "spacemen 3? no, i'll have to check that out...". maybe that explains some of the vocal grumpiness/boredom people around me were experiencing when the pure phase tones were cued up for ten minutes before the band came out...short attention spans, don't understand foreplay...kind of funny, but also a bit of a bummer as i was trying to get my head in a certain space.

the set was pretty much what was being played consistently on this string of dates so i knew what i was in for. from where i was the sound was kind of wonky for the first bit and i thought doggen was far too low in the mix. that eventually worked itself out and my head was properly rattled.

i was pleasantly surprised by the new rhythm section and was fixated on kid millions drumming as much as anything else, holy fuck what a treat watching that guy go off. he's a game changer in my opinion and a much needed shot in the arm to the live show. i'm sure plenty will disagree with that :)

wish i would have had the chance to say hi to a few a you at the gig, but i rarely post on here and forgot to check in prior to going...perhaps next time around. peace.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

ro wrote:suskind, thanks for the photo.
that's just where I was standing for the Boston gig, totally absorbed in the music/video projections but also grooving on the white trousers/black socks/silver sneaks combo :D
I know! :D Loved the silver sneakers. When I was in that spot at the Portland gig the vocal was kind of muffled but this time it was okay. I was particularly disappointed that the backup singers was almost inaudible the whole time. I could hear Doggen just fine though. And I totally agree Kid Millions is incredible.

Actually this was the cool backdrop I was referring to..

also very cool strap
According to SPZ's twitter it's a gift from http://www.holmesbklyn.com/

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

nice review here, complete with humorous misinterpretation of lyrics...

http://www.columbusalive.com/content/bl ... exner.html

Other than the small show in NYC back in July, have have other boots with the new band appeared?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My expectations were way too high. Last year I saw the 2nd- Chicago and 3rd- Detroit shows and watched NPR's stream of a show 4 days later from Washington DC and I was stunned how each show just got better and better.
This was the final date of this mini tour which is precisely why my expectations were sky high.
I think the sound man got a bit lost. I was 2/3 of the way back and could not hear Doggen for the first part of the show. I agree Kid Millions brings a lot of intensity, drum fills and smiles to the table.
I thought the crowd were great and sure some folks left but those who stayed refrained from texting/checking their emails and more importantly talking. This was a breath of fresh air.
I wish I knew more people were heading to this show. I drank a lot of local craft beer. Too much probably. I diverted to Cleveland on the way back to Detroit to check out the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame's Rolling Stones exhibit and was overwhelmed by the cool stuff inside this exhibition. From a die hard, seen it all(or so I thought) Stones fan. I left with a giant smile on my face. Plus all the other cool stuff on permanent display was amazing. Even a Joy Division/New Order kiosk with a Ska section on the other side.
Well worth the trip to see both Spiritualized and R&R HOF.
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

Some of that same grumpiness in Buffalo too during the Pure Phase tones ... most of whom were "kids" (to me at least). Same kids annoyingly sang along to all the LAG songs too.

If any of you Ohio folk are ever on the edge of a driving to Buffalo next time around, the Waiting Room is a pretty decent venue.