Of all the tunes that featured regularly in the live set in

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Of all the tunes that featured regularly in the live set in

Post by plastic37 »

Of all the tunes that featured regularly in the live set in the past the one I would most like to see brought back from the dead is ...
got that line from another thread where These Blues and Feelin Just Fine were mentioned.
Wondered what other favourites are fondly remembered or not missed?
Heavy Tourism
good dope/good fun
Known user

Re: Of all the tunes that featured regularly in the live set

Post by good dope/good fun »

The Slide Song
Step Into The Breeze
If I Were With Her Now

I love those live versions of Feelin' Just Fine.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Don't Just Do Something
Angel Sigh
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Don't forget to indicate if you were happy to see the back of these selections (not a crime) or missed them.

The opening bars of Take Good Care of It were always my que to hit the bar.
Heavy Tourism
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Definitely the Slide Song, I have a recording of it from a bootleg marked only "Worthington Pier, 1994" that is one of my favourite things of my entire Spiritualized collection.

As for seeing the back of something, I've never been a huge fan of Electricity (I know this is sacrilege to many of you :wink: ) and have seen enough performances of it to last a couple lifetimes!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Zenchan wrote:Definitely the Slide Song, I have a recording of it from a bootleg marked only "Worthington Pier, 1994" that is one of my favourite things of my entire Spiritualized collection.
THIS a million times!!

my choices were songs I want them to bring back, in case you couldn't work it out.

songs I wouldn't mind seeing the back of? hmm... wouldn't be gutted if Walking With Jesus went... and also some of the old warhorses like Shine a Light, and Lord Can You Hear Me, Oh Happy Day..
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Zenchan wrote:Definitely the Slide Song, I have a recording of it from a bootleg marked only "Worthington Pier, 1994" that is one of my favourite things of my entire Spiritualized collection.
Oh, I was there (as I believe was plastic37). The place is actually called Worthing. First time I saw Spiritualized - Stereolab were support. It was just after Let It Flow was released, but before Pure Phase came out, so although it was a great gig, I didn't know most of what I was hearing, and therefore didn't clock The Slide Song as the event that it was.

I'd love Hypnotized to make a return. Not holding my breath.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Feelin' Just Fine
Run
I Want You
Hypnotized
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I was also at Worthing pier. it was a great show although my friend spent much of the show lying asleep in front of the stage and later we got arrested. happy days.

200 bars
I want you
good times
hypnotised
baby I'm just a fool

it's been good to see let it flow back with the new band and before that lay back in the sun.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I want to see more of:

Hypnotized
Feelin' Just Fine
If I Were With Her Now
I Want You
Angel Sigh
Sway
200 Bars
The Slide Song
These Blues
Stay With Me
Don't Just Do Something
The Twelve Steps
Won't Get To Heaven (The State I'm In)
Lord Can You Hear Me?
You Lie You Cheat
Baby I'm Just A Fool

I want to see less of:

Walkin' With Jesus
Freedom
Little Girl
Mary
Too Late
I Am What I Am (apologies :oops:)
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Cheapster
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)

Basically, no recent ballads please. Some are great on record, but I've yet to hear any of them work live save for Oh Baby. They just slow down the show and drive me to the bar. I don't want to go to the bar, I want to be standing transfixed and dumstruck, unable to move :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Above anything else, I would love to see Shine a Light live so badly. Anything from LGM. Take Your Time was there at the Paradise, but anything and everything from LGM would be what I am dying to see.
Hypnotized
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

mc wrote:If I Were With Her Now
good dope/good fun wrote:If I Were With Her Now
yeah.

would love to hear an almost-true-to-album-version of this live

I rather don't expect to.

but maybe someday..
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

glad to see Take Good Care of it being snuck in at the end of the sets, the whole tune ala fucked up inside, would be great to see returned. Slide Song would be great...and tho I was sick of it for awhile there...the return of Medication was a welcome surprise.

Could do w/o Freedom, Oh Baby, WWJ, Out of Sight...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

The Slide Song
These Blues
Spread Your Wings
Don't Just Do Something

Anyway That You Want Me
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mc wrote:Basically, no recent ballads please. Some are great on record, but I've yet to hear any of them work live save for Oh Baby
Argh ... Oh Baby is so boring. I always find that song to be the dullest part of the show when they play it. I'd much rather hear Life Is A Problem or the new one, Let's Dance.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

TheWarmth wrote:
mc wrote:Basically, no recent ballads please. Some are great on record, but I've yet to hear any of them work live save for Oh Baby
Argh ... Oh Baby is so boring. I always find that song to be the dullest part of the show when they play it. I'd much rather hear Life Is A Problem or the new one, Let's Dance.
Hmmm... I do love Life Is A Problem on record, but I find it boring live - it's the studio orchestration that really make this song for me. Granted, Oh Baby isn't his most exciting moment, but it's got a lovely build-up and crescendo.

I'm suspending judgement on the new songs at the moment - I've only listened to them a couple of times thus far via bootlegs. Initial impressions are good, but I remember thinking one or two are pretty patchy. Works in progress, though! :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

You Lie You Cheat
Sway
200 Bars
Lay Back in the Sun

Any and all of Let It Come Down (not bothered so much about On Fire, but all the rest sometime please).

Also I totally agree with the above re Life Is A Problem. It sounded crap live on the A+E tour, and with the exception of the RAH, it's sounded bad at gigs since then. However the orchestration really makes the song come to life for me.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Really? I have a live recording of Life Is A Problem from before A&E was released that sounds pretty damn good. I'll have to look for that when I get home.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Until the RAH gig I hated everything about that song - from the grating 1st line "Jesus won't you be my radio" to the bland, unoriginal chord sequence. It sounded like the sort of lazy Spz-by-numbers track that puts off fans of their previous work, and are so bland I wouldn't expect to attract the band a new fan who had any decent taste in music or even a good understanding and musical grounding.

Then I heard it at the Royal Albert Hall and it fitted in well in the context of that magnificent gig, one powerful enough I even enjoyed the insipid, otherwise-dire "Freedom" that night. Though every subsequent listen to the latter song made me think it's the worst thing Jason Pierce has written/released. However as I said above I do think "Life is a Problem" ended up sounding nice on the album, although I wouldn't say it's one of the stronger, standout tracks from Sweet Heart, Sweet Light.

I'll have to check, but I'm sure the only live recordings I have are from the A+E tour onwards. I certainly only remember hearing it in person for the first time on the A+E tour, and I don't think it was played at the early not so hot Koko gig, but by the time they got to the leg of the tour that was mostly O2 Academy venues the band were on fire, and Doggen's guitar particularly on tracks like the glorious You Lie You Cheat, sounded the best I've ever heard in terms of guitar playing at Spiritualized gigs (both those I was at and those I heard boots/official live releases).
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You can argue that every Spiritualized song has unoriginal chord sequences. Also, lyrically, it fits in with the rest of the band's catalog. I mean, I get that you don't like the song, but I'm not buying your reasoning. I haven't had time to look in my iTunes to see the venue/date of the live recording I have. I'll get to it soon.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:You can argue that every Spiritualized song has unoriginal chord sequences. Also, lyrically, it fits in with the rest of the band's catalog. I mean, I get that you don't like the song, but I'm not buying your reasoning. I haven't had time to look in my iTunes to see the venue/date of the live recording I have. I'll get to it soon.
Yeah I appreciate there are many Spiritualized songs I love, who's chord progression is not any kind of deviation from common pentatonic progressions - a good example would be Lay Back in the Sun or Medication, where Jason takes a hackneyed bluesy chord sequence and uses the simplicity in a jaw-droppingly effective musical fashion to create a work of genius - contrasting the simple chord progressions with amazing dynamics to produce beautifully simple yet at the same time gloriously nuanced and sophisticated tunes, tunes which will be remembered when the history books of our musical times are written. What makes these tunes special is an "x" factor that cannot be reduced to Grade 8 Music Theory terminology, yet totally encapsulates the notion of knowing brilliance when one hears it - a qualification for which such tracks are eminently suitable.

There is a rather fine line between repetition and lazy similarity. Somewhere in between lies the fuzzy realm which epitomises our individual musical taste. Every so often there comes along tunes that cross the paradigm. "Forever Changes" by Love is an example, as are similarly original compositions such as "Hey Jane", "Electric Mainline", "I Fought in a War" and "Dog on Wheels" by Belle & Sebastian. However what all have in common is their ability to resonate with the listener, and thus form an emotional attachment that is personal and different for each person experiencing and reacting to the specific music in question.

If we all reacted the same to individual works of music it would not be the remarkable medium it is, in terms of it's ability to differently affect each individual listener - it's most impressive quality as I see it.
Last edited by mojo filters on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Malmo - Nov. 4, 2008: That's the version of "Life Is A Problem" I was thinking of. It's a good performance, although the quality of the recording isn't great.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mojo filters wrote:
TheWarmth wrote: Yeah I appreciate there are many Spiritualized songs I love, who's chord progression is not any kind of deviation from common pentatonic progressions - a good example would be Lay Back in the Sun or Medication, where Jason takes a hackneyed bluesy chord sequence and uses the simplicity in a jaw-droppingly effective musical fashion to create a work of genius - contrasting the simple chord progressions with amazing dynamics to produce beautifully simple yet at the same time gloriously nuanced and sophisticated tunes, tunes which will be remembered when the history books of our musical times are written. .

but isn't it everything around the songs that make it? if spz only made acoustic albums then the songs would be musically dull and the majority of the lyrics would be nothing special. it's the choir and drones and strings etc that make the songs. otherwise it would be very underwhelming
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The Dr wrote: but isn't it everything around the songs that make it? if spz only made acoustic albums then the songs would be musically dull and the majority of the lyrics would be nothing special. it's the choir and drones and strings etc that make the songs. otherwise it would be very underwhelming
That's hitting the nail on the head for me. I feel that Jason's ballad-type songs have become much musically simpler recently, as well as more prevalent. I don't mean chord sequence-wise, because he's never been complex or original in that sense, I mean the extra little twinkles and sparkles and noises and drones that give his older ballads that almost other-worldly quality I find so intoxicating; it elevates the music and turns something simple into something complex and rewarding.

As per this discussion, Let's take "Freedom" as a recent counter-example. The "bare bones" of the song are all that's present. It's now painfully obvious that he's still recycling the same arpeggiated chord sequence from Lord Can You Hear Me? because it's front and centre in the mix, untreated, un-"effects-ed", unaugmented and unaccompanied save for piano and strings. He sounds like he's copying himself, essentially. Also, his voice has become front and centre, leading the song as opposed to being just an other instrument floating in the mix; the gospel-style backing vocals are now so overused in his songs they sound trite and bombastic. Couple this with one of the most uninspiring lyrics he's ever penned, and overall I feel you have a much less rewarding listening experience. I won't play this song 15 years from now and hear something in the mix I'd never picked up on before, because there's no mystery or complexity to it.

Now, take songs like "Freedom" or "Little Girl" or "Life Is A Problem" and play them live. Stripped of the strings (which were the only layer of complexity the song had), they sound painfully exposed, and crucially, hollow. It becomes even more obvious that there is nothing to these songs save for recycled guitar figures and words he's uttered a hundred times before. The wall of sound from the stage falls, the tempo drops, you start hearing people talking in the crowd, you get bored and head for the bar.

For me, Jason's not playing to his strengths any more, that's all. I don't even know how to describe what the Jason of LGM, PP and LAG did, but he was astonishing at it; sadly, he's an average balladeer at best. I know and accept this is all personal opinion - if we all liked the same things the world would be very dull! I guess I'm just trying to explain my views :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Dr wrote:if spz only made acoustic albums then the songs would be musically dull and the majority of the lyrics would be nothing special. it's the choir and drones and strings etc that make the songs. otherwise it would be very underwhelming
I know my opinions aren't always popular, so forgive me if I'm not in touch with the prevailing point of view. However I thought Acoustic Mainlines went down rather well.

Putting the 2011 RAH gig to one side, I think the whole concept revitalized older tunes, gave us a lovely introduction to some new ones, and taken as a whole represents the greatest thing in terms of output we've had from Jason since the release of Let it Come Down in 2001.

From the beautiful stripped back "Sitting on Fire", through the rousing refrain of "Amen" to the country groove of "Think I'm in Love" - it encapsulates Jason's ability to reinvent and come back better and stronger, and give us so many amazing musical memories along the way.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, I gotta stand up for Jason's more traditional song based material too. yeah, Freedom is dull at ditchwater, I don't like Life is a Problem that much either, but then some of them have been fantastic (I love Too Late for example, and Sitting on Fire, ). I think it's simplistic to generalise.

I thought the Acoustic Mainline tours were some of the best shows Jason has ever done. they showed that stripped down to their bare essentials, a lot his songs DO work as compositions aside from the sonics. there were exceptions (Feel So Sad didn't really work, nor did Shine a Light in my opinion) but on the whole the shows I saw (Edinburgh, Union Chapel) were radiant, beautiful and moving. I found the Amazing Grace era lacklustre overall but these acoustic readings gave a different spin on the catalogue that was invigorating (plus a lot of the wonderful songs from A&E were debuted and I liked them right away).

I think classic songcraft is just as much a part of the Spiritualized DNA as spacerock. there's nothing wrong with a simple, well written, song. it's all part of the universe of sound.

my theory is that the experience Jason got from the Acoustic Mainlines shows actually fed back into the electric shows when they came back. he had the nerve to strip a lot of songs back and have more traditional and natural sounding arrangements (and there was that acoustic version of Walking With Jesus too). I admit this became a problem when it was too much of a contrast with other songs in the set (the songs did kind of need 'thickening up' a bit or something, or segueing into other songs so the momentum was kept up)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

A great point, angelsighs - I too was at the Edinburgh Acoustic Mainlines show and I thought it was incredible how well his catalogue translated to the acoustic form. I don't mean to generalise, as I love some of Jason's recent ballads - I think Oh Baby, Don't Hold Me Close, The Waves Crash In and Life Is A Problem (on record) are all gorgeous, well crafted, non-"spacerock" songs. I need to forget about the tunes I'm not fond of and concentrate on the positives :D
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

mc wrote:I don't even know how to describe what the Jason of LGM, PP and LAG did, but he was astonishing at it
I'd say from LICD onwards he became a 'proper' or more 'traditional' songwriter than the previous 3 albums. Songs from LICD onwards have a more formulaic structure, and you can imagine the bulk of the stuff being written alone on a guitar or piano.

The first 3 Spiritualized albums, I think (judging both from quotes from Will Carruthers on the making of LGM, and the whole furore about the L&G band wanting songwriting credits) were probably mostly constructed with other people around and playing their instrumrnt as he jammed and played ideas non-stop until a vocal part emerged from the music.

This is not to say he hasn't written songs in a more traditional way before - Walking with Jesus, So Hot, Lord Can You Hear Me? Perhaps he became more capable and developed a more natural ability as a traditional songwriter over time, and that became his main way of writing?

I happen to think Jason Pierce is a superb balladeer, perhaps one of my favourites.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mojo filters wrote:
The Dr wrote:if spz only made acoustic albums then the songs would be musically dull and the majority of the lyrics would be nothing special. it's the choir and drones and strings etc that make the songs. otherwise it would be very underwhelming
I know my opinions aren't always popular, so forgive me if I'm not in touch with the prevailing point of view. However I thought Acoustic Mainlines went down rather well.

Putting the 2011 RAH gig to one side, I think the whole concept revitalized older tunes, gave us a lovely introduction to some new ones, and taken as a whole represents the greatest thing in terms of output we've had from Jason since the release of Let it Come Down in 2001.

From the beautiful stripped back "Sitting on Fire", through the rousing refrain of "Amen" to the country groove of "Think I'm in Love" - it encapsulates Jason's ability to reinvent and come back better and stronger, and give us so many amazing musical memories along the way.
o a.m tour is, after ladies and gents and silent sound, my favorite spz show that i have been to (even more than albter hall the other year). but it was the gospel singers and strings that made it for me also i adored the stripped back style but if it was, for example, a new album of one man only campfire songs i'd (probably) find it a tad lacking. think i'm in love from the a.m is in my opinion a child compared to the full grown album version and some parts of licd are overblown. i think, as with most things, it is moderation of each thing that makes the whole

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:yeah, I gotta stand up for Jason's more traditional song based material too. yeah, Freedom is dull at ditchwater, I don't like Life is a Problem that much either, but then some of them have been fantastic (I love Too Late for example, and Sitting on Fire, ). I think it's simplistic to generalise.

I thought the Acoustic Mainline tours were some of the best shows Jason has ever done. they showed that stripped down to their bare essentials, a lot his songs DO work as compositions aside from the sonics. there were exceptions (Feel So Sad didn't really work, nor did Shine a Light in my opinion) but on the whole the shows I saw (Edinburgh, Union Chapel) were radiant, beautiful and moving. I found the Amazing Grace era lacklustre overall but these acoustic readings gave a different spin on the catalogue that was invigorating (plus a lot of the wonderful songs from A&E were debuted and I liked them right away).

I think classic songcraft is just as much a part of the Spiritualized DNA as spacerock. there's nothing wrong with a simple, well written, song. it's all part of the universe of sound.

my theory is that the experience Jason got from the Acoustic Mainlines shows actually fed back into the electric shows when they came back. he had the nerve to strip a lot of songs back and have more traditional and natural sounding arrangements (and there was that acoustic version of Walking With Jesus too). I admit this became a problem when it was too much of a contrast with other songs in the set (the songs did kind of need 'thickening up' a bit or something, or segueing into other songs so the momentum was kept up)
i adore freedom and life is a problem

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

heisenberg wrote:
mc wrote:IPerhaps he became more capable and developed a more natural ability as a traditional songwriter over time, and that became his main way of writing?

i think angelsighs covered this by saying that he grew more confidence as a songwriter after the dan johnston show and subsequent a.m tour

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

But I said around Let it Come Down era, not DJ tribute/Acoustic Mainlines. . So no, I didn't repeat an already covered point.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

heisenberg wrote:But I said around Let it Come Down era, not DJ tribute/Acoustic Mainlines. . So no, I didn't repeat an already covered point.
i apologise, i misread the begining of your post, i wasn't accusing you of repeating a point, just reafirming your point. anyway, i'd say the writing style has always been the same (back to sp3 days) but yes licd is an album which has a much more conventional structure for all of the songs as opposed to ladies and gents which still has 'less-conventional' moments (compare cop shoot cop to won't get to heaven), whereas what i was trying to add to your point was that after he found that he could do more stripped back perfomances (although you could argue that it started with amazing grace) it gave him more confidence to remove a lot of the boomblast and having his song writing front and centre- as was said before by i can't remember whom. would a&e and shsl's 'popability' have been possible without am?

Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

I have to add I am also a fan of both 'Freedom' and 'Little Girl', even though I do completely recognise the arguments put forward by others earlier in this thread. Yes, they are fairly 'generic' ballads I guess... but for me, they are evidence of how any song can be the 'right song' if it nails how you are, for you, right now.

I was going through a horrible (and I mean horrible) time when SHSL was released. But there was something in the lyrics of those two songs, something that hit it on the head for me and counselled me through. They were total catharsis to the pain in every other area of my life, and, if somebody had said "I told Jason about what you were going through and he wrote those songs about you" I could have believed it. Those songs are neither my favourite songs on SHSL, nor are they the songs are I think are 'best'. I agree they could be be identified as slightly lack-luster and 'to a formula'. But, they speak to me and I love them.

Now, I guess I'm going to say something contradictory now-they are the 'type' of songs I hate hearing live. The joy of Spz live, for me, is hearing how different the songs are when performed. For example-Don't just do something, not at all like the LICD version. The setting is different, the timbre is different, the pace... nearly everything... but the song is the same. That's what I love. Why would I want to just hear the same thing that was on record but played worse? There is nothing nothing worse (in gig terms) than shelling out good money to hear a band and then standing in a crowd listening to a song which sounds just like the album you had on in the car on the way there, only with significantly worse sound quality. But, back to Spz and the 'modern' ballads in particular, this is something I find lacking when these are played in the live electric sets. They don't offer anything different to the experience that you get on the record, they just lack the full string and choir treatment, which is why they seem flat and hollow to some (I guess).

The interaction between listener and performer is significantly less in these songs as there is less investment in the song-there's nothing new, you know exactly whats coming and it's a 'four minute wonder' before the next song. Also, because they just go verse-chorus-verse etc they stick out like a sore thumb often...
angelsighs wrote:I admit this became a problem when it was too much of a contrast with other songs in the set (the songs did kind of need 'thickening up' a bit or something, or segueing into other songs so the momentum was kept up)
...I couldn't agree with this more. The last point I want to make is just that-the other thing I love about Spz gigs is that, at their best, they just seem like one long piece of music joined together and flowing beautifully.

So I guess my answer to the original question is: I don't care-just segue whatever is played and play it differently to the record. Then I'm happy.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

"Freedom is just another word"

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gruff wrote:I have to add I am also a fan of both 'Freedom' and 'Little Girl', even though I do completely recognise the arguments put forward by others earlier in this thread. Yes, they are fairly 'generic' ballads I guess... but for me, they are evidence of how any song can be the 'right song' if it nails how you are, for you, right now.

I was going through a horrible (and I mean horrible) time when SHSL was released. But there was something in the lyrics of those two songs, something that hit it on the head for me and counselled me through. They were total catharsis to the pain in every other area of my life, and, if somebody had said "I told Jason about what you were going through and he wrote those songs about you" I could have believed it. Those songs are neither my favourite songs on SHSL, nor are they the songs are I think are 'best'. I agree they could be be identified as slightly lack-luster and 'to a formula'. But, they speak to me and I love them...
Wow. What a post.

Sorry to hear this, and worse to chime in with your bad times, but I was struck by how brutally similar a situation I was in when that album came out and I'm certain in some way it pretty much saved my life. It certainly made shit easier to deal with - 'Life Is A Problem' indeed - and that was my go-to fix for at least a year. It's probably my all-time favourite album actually and it's like there's endless lines of significance in some of those deceptively 'simple ballads'.

Actually the whole record has this vibe - this deadpan voice almost lapsing into despair yet this cyclone of noise around it lifts the whole things somewhere else. Or maybe that's just the eternally amazing 'Headin' For The Top Now'...

Anyway - for me 'Freedom' and 'Too Late' just slay me. Something in the ultra-shiny production, the emphasised yet completely dry vocal (fuckin' LOU REED!) and how the other instrumentation just hangs off everything else - you get the impression of a huge amount of time with the mixing as it's so exquisitely done. Also would love to have heard Marianne Faithfull and Candi Staton do these tunes as intended - make it so, please...

I was always gonna write a big fuck-off piece on that record - I still have the euphorically scrawled notes from the first incredible listen - but I've resisted as I didn't want to break the spell that thing has over me. That endlessly delayed record seemed to appear exactly when I needed it the most and it never let me down, not once.

Powerful shit indeed. And the promo mix is a definite alternative mix of the whole thing for sure.

Anyway - threadwise I'd love to have 'The Twelve Steps' appear back in the set - or at least more than that one time very early in the SH/SL tour, which by the time they hit Glasgow a night later it had disappeared again...
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote:Also would love to have heard Marianne Faithfull and Candi Staton do these tunes as intended - make it so, please...
Nice.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

BzaInSpace wrote:Sorry to hear this, and worse to chime in with your bad times, but I was struck by how brutally similar a situation I was in when that album came out and I'm certain in some way it pretty much saved my life. It certainly made shit easier to deal with - 'Life Is A Problem' indeed - and that was my go-to fix for at least a year. It's probably my all-time favourite album actually and it's like there's endless lines of significance in some of those deceptively 'simple ballads'.
Sums it up somewhat for me too-that's what is so powerful about music, huh? (see what I did there? :lol: )

Funnily enough though, not really listened to it much just recently. I think that's because the other record that nailed me at the time (Iris Dement-My Life), I listened to and it just floored me again, took me straight back to that place you never want to go back to. Guess I'm hanging off listening to it. Maybe I ought to give it a go again.
BzaInSpace wrote:It's probably my all-time favourite album actually and it's like there's endless lines of significance in some of those deceptively 'simple ballads'.
It is up there with the best of the Spz work for me. Certainly one that would end up being 'umm-ed' and 'ahh-ed' over when deciding a Top Ten list (which Spz to choose!?).
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger