Liverpool Psych Fest 2014

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

James T
Known user

Liverpool Psych Fest 2014

Post by James T »

Goat and Hills and lots of others announced...
http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/
olan
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2014

Post by olan »

Tickets booked. Hopefully this turns out to be as much fun as last year.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Going to try and make this, fingers crossed.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a few names there tickle my fancy but will wait for the second announcement I think.... (got a feeling I am delaying the inevitable though!) :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Big step up in early bird price compared to 2013.

Anyone interested in the Psych Dorm deal? 6 people to a dorm for £95 each including your festival ticket. I'd be up for it but want to know soon enough so I can buy a ticket accordingly.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Don't do it, its a rip off. If you can find 6 people to go with, you're cheaper booking the early bird tickets and n apartment separate. I'm not saying they're deliberately ripping people off by any means, it is a helpful service for lazy people... If you can find people and spare time to look up apartments for 10 minutes of various sites you would probably get a better deal.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Well that's the thing, i'd be lucky to find one person to go with never mind 6!

But yeah i probably could find somewhere cheaper, after all i only need a bed.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Having looked at it again, it's probably a reasonably good deal. I still think there's better options around if people shop about, but for the convenience fair play to'em for sorting it out.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My other half got me one of the ticket / dorm combos for Christmas. See some of you in September! :D
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

Formule1 'hotel' is cheap and close to the venue but . . . er . . . it's 'basic'! :lol:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

James and I stayed at a Formule1 a couple of years ago for Spz's Warwickshow...worst place I've ever stayed. Their toilet "pods" are comically rancid.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was an interesting evening. The formule one is the definition of a "knocking shop".
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

strong hints on twitter that White Hills are playing this...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New additions: http://thequietus.com/articles/14820-li ... ills-suuns

Have to admit to feeling very underwhelmed, maybe it's just not recognising a lot of the names compared to last year's line up. At the moment there is nothing screaming out at me.
Are Woods really headline material?
Saw Suuns a few years ago and they were shite. I cannot discern anything psych in their sound at all, more like a bunch of hipsters chancing their arms.

I'll be honest, I was really hoping they'd land The Heads and get Carlton Melton back :(
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Cheval Sombre would be nice to see
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm really looking forward to this. The headline acts are a bit meh other than Goat who were epic at ATP before Xmas. In terms of the smaller bands the lineup is looking really good. I'm really interested to see One Unique Signal who I originally discovered through a discussion on here a few years back. In reality though it doesn't really matter who plays. If the festival is similar to the last couple then the beer/food/vibes are worth the ticket price alone (a few pints of the Psyche Red will sort you right out) and everything else is pretty much a bonus.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

There is plenty there that i'll enjoy alright, guess I was just hoping for a few more big hitters.

Speaking of beer/food/vibes, I'm assuming mood enhancers are easy to acquire if one was so inclined?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:There is plenty there that i'll enjoy alright, guess I was just hoping for a few more big hitters.

Speaking of beer/food/vibes, I'm assuming mood enhancers are easy to acquire if one was so inclined?
Being a boring old fart I wouldn't have a clue as alcohol/food/vibes are the only mood enhancers I indulge in. It is slap bang in the middle of Liverpool though, so I'm sure all your shopping needs will be catered for... :lol: :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think the lineup looks great myself. I doubt Woods are a headliner. looking at that lineup I think the headliners would be Goat, White Hills and Sleepy Sun at this point. more bands to be added so still room for another 'big hitter' (my wish would be Bardo Pond or Black Angels)
it's all the smaller bands that make the difference. there are so many bands on there I wouldn't mind checking out. thinking back to last year and all the running around between stages, I think it might be a bit better that way, rather than stressing out about ones I don't want to miss.
still not sure whether I can make this (money issues amongst other things) but gonna try my best.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Definitely going, booked a ticket in Jan. line up looks good to me, the whole Rocket Recording roster is the one for me, Goat, Lay Llamas and Hills I think should all have new albums out by the time this comes round and want to see them all, the chance to see White Hills on a decent sized stage in front of a good crowd is something else I`m looking forward to, the Holy Wave album has been getting much play round here and I want to see them, seems plenty lesser known stuff I want to check as well, Amen Dunes, The Janitors, Anthroprophh, Wolf People and whoever gets add later this this year is sure to add somebody to my must see list, but basically looking to have a good time with some like minded folks, bring it on...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm there with bells on. Line up is great, like Angelsgighs says there was a lot of running from stage to stage last year as they put way too many bands on and there are lots of clashes. I'm going with the ATP vibe we adopted. Choose who you want to see and watch the whole set. I lot of these bands I have seen many times so they will be the ones that go further down the list if a clash arises. Sleepy Sun being the exception as I adore this band live, especially without the female singer, who tried to dominate proceedings far too much for my liking.
Wolf people are a good addition and Im looking forward to watching Woods finally, keep missing them when they come to thes e shores.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I'm there with bells on. Line up is great, like Angelsgighs says there was a lot of running from stage to stage last year as they put way too many bands on and there are lots of clashes. I'm going with the ATP vibe we adopted. Choose who you want to see and watch the whole set. I lot of these bands I have seen many times so they will be the ones that go further down the list if a clash arises. Sleepy Sun being the exception as I adore this band live, especially without the female singer, who tried to dominate proceedings far too much for my liking.
Wolf people are a good addition and Im looking forward to watching Woods finally, keep missing them when they come to thes e shores.
An other thing we learned at ATP was the importance of eating once in a while and not simply trying to drink all the Psyche Red in one afternoon. :lol:
It looks like a giant mailing board meet-up might be on the cards given the number of folks on here who appear to be going.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Bardo Pond are playing a gig in London on Sep 22nd
http://www.songkick.com/concerts/204714 ... ca-studios

means they will be in the country around that time? wishful thinking?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

angelsighs wrote:Bardo Pond are playing a gig in London on Sep 22nd

Bardo Pond were fantastic at Austin PF playing the stage over the river in the late afternoon. The set was most of Peace on Venus.
I think I feel it coming on
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

purespace wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Bardo Pond are playing a gig in London on Sep 22nd

Bardo Pond were fantastic at Austin PF playing the stage over the river in the late afternoon. The set was most of Peace on Venus.
Bardo Pond were my favorite set from Austin. It was perfect as the sun slowly sank. Although Bo Ningen in the tent on Sunday night were pretty spectacular as well.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

They won't be at the psych fest
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's a shame, they would have fitted in perfectly.
any whispers of other UK dates?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Latest additions:

Asteroid #4, Christian Bland & The Revelators, Allah Las, Spindrift, Vacant Lots, Besnard Lakes, Grumblin Fur, Quilt, TRAAMS, Nueva Costa, Spectres and, oddly, September Girls (all girl Irish band in a Dum Dum Girls kinda vein).

Plus the launch of 'Psych For Sore Eyes 2' E.P. which will be on sale at the festival.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sorry forget to reply the the bardo pond thing. Not sure about other dates, certainly not Manchester this time unfortunately...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Day splits are out: http://thequietus.com/articles/15980-li ... tallations

I think Saturday has the edge for headliners but Friday might possibly sneak the undercard. Hopefully there won't be too many clashes for the stuff I want to see.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Day splits are out: http://thequietus.com/articles/15980-li ... tallations

I think Saturday has the edge for headliners but Friday might possibly sneak the undercard. Hopefully there won't be too many clashes for the stuff I want to see.
I don't know about that. Saaturday looks pretty awesome in terms of headliners and support. Goat and Hills on one day, who would ever have imagined such a thing? :D

I think a Spz board pre-Fest meet up for a pint or two might be a good idea. Last year we met in the Philharmonic at about 4:00 on the Friday (but the big mistake was the move to the pub next to the Cain's Brewery for further heart starters). The Dispensary on Renshaw Street is handy for Lime Street, has really good beer, and a landlord who can be a bit interesting at tmes. Anybody interested and/or any other meet-up venue suggestions?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

First band on at 3.30pm this time... Survival of the fittest (not us lot then !)
Bloke in the Dispensary certainly has some bad press, thretening and indeed banning designated drivers who want water from a tap springs to mind !!
Beers good though !
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Have booked a day ticket for the Saturday. Looking forward to hooking up with some of you good people there :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

olan wrote:
sunray wrote:Day splits are out: http://thequietus.com/articles/15980-li ... tallations

I don't know about that. Saaturday looks pretty awesome in terms of headliners and support. Goat and Hills on one day, who would ever have imagined such a thing? :D

I think a Spz board pre-Fest meet up for a pint or two might be a good idea. Last year we met in the Philharmonic at about 4:00 on the Friday (but the big mistake was the move to the pub next to the Cain's Brewery for further heart starters). The Dispensary on Renshaw Street is handy for Lime Street, has really good beer, and a landlord who can be a bit interesting at tmes. Anybody interested and/or any other meet-up venue suggestions?
The Derby is sandwiched in between, Saturday 12.45 kick off. Tasty little weekend.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
olan wrote:

The Derby is sandwiched in between, Saturday 12.45 kick off. Tasty little weekend.
No chance of a sober and sensible start to day #2 then. This could get very, very ugly by late afternoon if they don't run out of Pysch Red on Day #1. I think I'll need to think about a loooong lie-in on the Sunday. Breakfast at about 15:30 might be on the cards.....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

KingHarry wrote:The Derby is sandwiched in between, Saturday 12.45 kick off. Tasty little weekend.
Anyone got a spare ticket at face value?
Failing that, any suggestions of a good boozer to watch this in? :)

As for the festie itself, what's the price of a pint/food? And do they sell cider?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
KingHarry wrote:The Derby is sandwiched in between, Saturday 12.45 kick off. Tasty little weekend.
Anyone got a spare ticket at face value?
Failing that, any suggestions of a good boozer to watch this in? :)

As for the festie itself, what's the price of a pint/food? And do they sell cider?
Beer and (a punishingly alcoholic handcrafted) cider were available at prices not too far off those in local pubs. There was food of the barbecued variety. I had a long chat with Andy Duvall from Carlton Melton in the queue for the gourmet hot dog stand.

I'll PM you about the match.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've bitten the bullet and gone for a Saturday day ticket too. ideally would have gone to the whole thing but work/money issues makes it difficult. that day just gets the edge in lineup in my opinion, and Sleepy Sun are the biggie for me...
steering clear of that darned Psych Red ale this time.. hangover from hell last time...
can't wait!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Starting to get a buzz on about this now the closer it gets :) Line up looks great to me, and I can honestly say I don`t think I`ll be able to see everybody I fancy seeing, don`t seem possible, mate I`m going with is a big Liverpool FC fan, I`m not sure he realises the derby is that weekend as he hasn`t mentioned it yet, but yes, pub for 12:30 kick off could get quite messy later 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

What would be the quickest / cheapest way to get from the Airport into the city centre? Doing that ticket/dorm bundle and staying in Hoax. Thanks in advance.

Getting excited for this now, although I suspect the amount of merch on offer is going to kill me as i'm fairly brassic at the mo.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:What would be the quickest / cheapest way to get from the Airport into the city centre? Doing that ticket/dorm bundle and staying in Hoax. Thanks in advance.

Getting excited for this now, although I suspect the amount of merch on offer is going to kill me as i'm fairly brassic at the mo.
Cheapest = some kind of bus
Quickest = Taxi. Shouldn't be much more than £15 though - it's not so far
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
sunray wrote:What would be the quickest / cheapest way to get from the Airport into the city centre? Doing that ticket/dorm bundle and staying in Hoax. Thanks in advance.

Cheapest = some kind of bus
Quickest = Taxi. Shouldn't be much more than £15 though - it's not so far

Good advice that. You might like to give Village Cabs a ring (0151 427 7909). They are far cheaper than the Hackney Cabs. The bus is fine though.

IIRC, Hoax is on Stanley Street just around the corner from some of the latest of late night venues so it is likely to be very, very noisy. Passing out is one way to avoid the racket so get on the Pzyche Red early and go hard..... :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

started to get excited myself too! only a few days now.

I wonder when the timetable will be released? If Sleepy Sun and Goat are on at the same time, there will be hell to pay!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Am very excited too. Seeing Goat the following week in Brighton so not too fussed if they clash with another big name. My main concern is the early (ish) train back home to Brighton on the Sunday :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Am very excited too. Seeing Goat the following week in Brighton so not too fussed if they clash with another big name. My main concern is the early (ish) train back home to Brighton on the Sunday :shock:
Best of luck with that. Shut the door quietly behind you on the way out please..... :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm expecting Mr and Mrs Olan to have sorted me out with a full English and fresh coffee before I leave :wink: :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

luckily I am in no rush to make a move on the Sunday so I can sleep off any hangover that transpires!

If somebody really good clashes with Sleepy Sun, I guess I can always catch them on the Sunday night in Brum. That's a mini psych fest of it's own, with the one also in Rugby on Thurs, if one so desired they could watch Psych over the entire weekend! I remember last year there was a night in Leeds on the Sunday too which some punters were also going to.. must be made of stronger stuff than me!
As it's getting closer I kinda wish I was going for Friday too but Saturday is the better lineup and I really do need to save those pennies.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:I'm expecting Mr and Mrs Olan to have sorted me out with a full English and fresh coffee before I leave :wink: :lol:
/evil landlord mode on/
Life is full of little disappointments isn't it? It is refreshing to see your faith in man's inherent generosity to man is so unblemished. I expect the lack of coffee or full English will be a wake up call for you :lol: (another service yet to be provided at this particular guesthouse).

/evil landlord mode off/
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Right, so I AM going! Think I am going to have to miss the Friday, I am a bit skint and need to save, even a days spending is too much for me right now. Will be there on the Saturday though, so if there's a meet in the afternoon I will see you there.
olan
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2014: Timings

Post by olan »

(sorry about the massive image)
Arse! Clashes galore! Bloody Asteroid #4 on at the same time as Pete Bassman being just the first of many. Saturday looks like a peach though. :D :D :D

Bloody Goat on at 1:00am on the Saturday. I'm an old man, how I am supposed to stay up that late?? On the other hand, at least they don't clash with Hills :lol: :lol: . Lots of time for me in The Camp on Saturday, with a quick side trip to see Sleepy Sun.

If you can't go, it might be worth checking this out:

PZYK PRODUCTION LINE

We're also delighted to present PZYK Production Line, a large scale artwork/audio installation in partnership with Arts Council England and International Cassette Store Day 2014, which will take place across the two days of their festival this year.

The installation will take the form of an audio workshop, where live feeds from all three festival stages - plus two ambient inputs from the festival’s public spaces - will be mixed into a rolling soundscape by Production Line artists Clinic (Domino Record Co), and invited special guests. The resulting one-off pieces of music will be played out in the Production Line’s laboratory, and select pieces will be record to cassette tape, for people to buy as a unique memento of the event.

The whole Production Line process will be filmed and streamed live at www.liverpoolpsychfest.com.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Think I'll be spending quite a bit of time in The Camp with you Olan (that's if you don't mind :wink: ). That evening line up in there with Anthroprophh, Hills, Gnod (who I've found out today will have Dave W from White Hills as a special guest :shock: 8) :D ), White Hills and Camera is pretty impressive to say the least. Will have to pop over to The Furnace to try and catch The Janitors, Sleepy Sun and Goat though but, all in all, it's not too clashy for me. What this full time table has shown (for me, anyway) though is how strong the line up on the Saturday is compared to the Friday.

And, yes James, we need to start arranging the Forum meet up as I know quite a few of us are going now.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup, relatively clash free for me. I'd agree that the Camp looks damn solid all the way through- but I may have to miss most of Anthroproph to get a good spot for Sleepy Sun. and I'm afraid Goat beats out White Hills for me, no contest!

apparently Cheval Sombre will be joined on stage by none other than Sonic Boom.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote:yup, relatively clash free for me. I'd agree that the Camp looks damn solid all the way through- but I may have to miss most of Anthroproph to get a good spot for Sleepy Sun. and I'm afraid Goat beats out White Hills for me, no contest!

apparently Cheval Sombre will be joined on stage by none other than Sonic Boom.
I was hoping that would be the case as they played together again recently in London - I'm going from mid-PM Saturday and that set should get things started nicely.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Big clashes for me are Pete Bassman / Asteroid #4, Black Bombaim / Allah Las and Gnod / Christian Bland.

Will opt for Goat as i've seen White Hills a couple of times then exit to catch the end of Camera (who i've also seen before with Michael Rother).
Allah Las are in Dublin on Sunday but I very much doubt i'll be in any fit state to make that!

Saw Woods last night. How the fuck that band is playing so high up the bill is beyond me, I wouldn't have them on any later than 7 or 8 pm.

Still waiting on my ticket to arrive from Seetickets. Posted on Monday apparently but the postie has just been and there's nothing for me. :evil: :cry: :roll:
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote: apparently Cheval Sombre will be joined on stage by none other than Sonic Boom.
That's been confirmed now.
Fantastic news. I'm increasingly excited but the presence of PK does add some messianic reverence to the whole occasion.

\0/
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Really looking forward to that set.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ticket arrived today, boarding passes printed out. Good to go :D

Any meet up planned yet? If i don't make it, keep an eye out for a dreadlocked, bearded guy with glasses at the festie and hopefully it'll be me you're talking to!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Im not getting there until the Saturday afternoon and hope to meet up with Olan, Angelsighs and Aquarian Time (and maybe James T and the Cardinal amongst others). Having never been before I'm happy to leave it to others to arrange the meet up but the more the merrier I say 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Hopefully see some of you there from late mid/PM Saturday. Little fella - a Spacemen 3 T-shirt of some description on
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Hope everyone has a mighty fine time at this, looks fantastic. I'd be there if it wasn't for Daddy duties with my kid this weekend. Looking forward to reading the write ups next week.

Some of the bands are playing an all day "Psyche Fest" at my local pub, The Railway Hotel, in Southend On Sea on Sunday. Runs from 2pm til Midnight. On the bill are Glass Brides (a local band, not even psyche, more trip hop, kind of, but the singer works for the local rag, so go figure), Velvet Morning (another local band, this time fitting the bill), Hellshovel, One Unique Signal, Vacant Lots, Holy Wave, Christian Bland & The Revelators. Plus DJ's and "trippy lighting". Pretty soon every town will be waving the Psyche banner won't they ;-)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't wait for tomorrow! i'd love to meet up with as many of you as possible, I'm not a total dick in person, honest.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Black Bombain and Asteroid #4 were far and away the best two bands from LPF yesterday. A lot of what I listened to was more prog than psyche, but it was a belting day out. I cannot wait for tonight....
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

olan wrote:Black Bombain and Asteroid #4 were far and away the best two bands from LPF yesterday. A lot of what I listened to was more prog than psyche, but it was a belting day out. I cannot wait for tonight....
You're up surprisingly early
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
olan wrote:Black Bombain and Asteroid #4 were far and away the best two bands from LPF yesterday. A lot of what I listened to was more prog than psyche, but it was a belting day out. I cannot wait for tonight....
You're up surprisingly early
Parenting..... :? . Muchly recovered now following several cups of tea. Lay Llamas on the record player and kids all at LIPA. Perfect start to the day.......

Did you get my PM?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Well that was fucking ace.

Disappointing to miss out on Goat - did anyone actually get in? Poor planning really, should really have worked out that the entire crowd would look to get into that, and taken up station well ahead of time. Although, I wasn't in a mental state conducive to coherent planning.

But I'm well over that - saw lots of good stuff, had a great many laughs, met some pleasant people from here, and it only took me a little over an hour to eventually stumble into an eye-wateringly expensive taxi to take me home.

Can't wait for next year
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Did anyone see The Early Years on Friday?

I see from Facebook and so forth that the band seemed very happy ... just wondered if there was any more objective opinions!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle