Liverpool Psych Fest 2014

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

olan
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2014

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:Well that was fucking ace.

Disappointing to miss out on Goat - did anyone actually get in? Poor planning really, should really have worked out that the entire crowd would look to get into that, and taken up station well ahead of time. Although, I wasn't in a mental state conducive to coherent planning.

But I'm well over that - saw lots of good stuff, had a great many laughs, met some pleasant people from here, and it only took me a little over an hour to eventually stumble into an eye-wateringly expensive taxi to take me home.

Can't wait for next year
I really enjoyed the Psyche Fest but, as with last year, would prefer that they reduced the number of bands and allowed everyone to play a bit longer. The Saturday lineup was much, much better than the Friday IMHO, Cheval Sombre, Lay Llamas and Anthroprophh were just outstanding. I did not enjoy Goat much. It was very,very busy in the Furnace, which was why the doors were closed. The sound where we were standing was punishingly harsh. To me it sounded like the PA was being over driven, so the vocals were just painfully loud and clipped. It was better towards the back, but Shinesalight and I had decided to go and watch White Hills instead. We actually had to leave the entire venue via a fire escape and go back in the main gate to catch the end of White Hills, who did not do much for me. Their new album is superb, but live they are very one dimensional.

It seemed to me that there were a lot more people there and far fewer 'facilities' than last year meaning that a lot of the outside space was taken up by people queuing for the loo. A few more toilets would have been a very welcome change. Other than that, I had a great weekend, met some really nice people and caught up with a bunch of others. The beer, some of the food and the setting were excellent. I particularly like the atmosphere at the LPF and, minor quibbles aside, will go next year.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

olan wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Well that was fucking ace.

Disappointing to miss out on Goat - did anyone actually get in? Poor planning really, should really have worked out that the entire crowd would look to get into that, and taken up station well ahead of time. Although, I wasn't in a mental state conducive to coherent planning.

But I'm well over that - saw lots of good stuff, had a great many laughs, met some pleasant people from here, and it only took me a little over an hour to eventually stumble into an eye-wateringly expensive taxi to take me home.

Can't wait for next year
I really enjoyed the Psyche Fest but, as with last year, would prefer that they reduced the number of bands and allowed everyone to play a bit longer. The Saturday lineup was much, much better than the Friday IMHO, Cheval Sombre, Lay Llamas and Anthroprophh were just outstanding. I did not enjoy Goat much. It was very,very busy in the Furnace, which was why the doors were closed. The sound where we were standing was punishingly harsh. To me it sounded like the PA was being over driven, so the vocals were just painfully loud and clipped. It was better towards the back, but Shinesalight and I had decided to go and watch White Hills instead. We actually had to leave the entire venue via a fire escape and go back in the main gate to catch the end of White Hills, who did not do much for me. Their new album is superb, but live they are very one dimensional.

It seemed to me that there were a lot more people there and far fewer 'facilities' than last year meaning that a lot of the outside space was taken up by people queuing for the loo. A few more toilets would have been a very welcome change. Other than that, I had a great weekend, met some really nice people and caught up with a bunch of others. The beer, some of the food and the setting were excellent. I particularly like the atmosphere at the LPF and, minor quibbles aside, will go next year.
There was a great run of bands in the Camp Lay Llamas / Anthroprophh / Gnod that was tremendous - although Good God Athroprophh are often tinkering on a knife edge between challenging and an actual assault.

We then ended up briefly in the Furnace and it appeared that Mumford & Sons were playing, or possibly the Magic Numbers. Not entirely sure who these were but we didn't stay. Had a great little interlude in the bit outside sitting on cushions in that Eastern themed tent with Joel DJing.
As above the atmosphere is universally brilliant, no edge to anyone, and everyone seemingly wide-eyed at how great this event is.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I had a cracking time at the Psych Fest too. I think it may become a regular fixture in the calendar. good to catch up with some faces from the board. They've made some subtle tweaks to the site, most of which were an improvement (the new upstairs bit is a great place to chill out) but I do agree the loo situation was a nightmare.

After a talk from David Stubbs around his new krautrock book, the first actual band I caught were The Janitors. not really familiar with them but the moodiness and riffs reminded me of early Black Angels (a good thing for sure), will definitely be checking them out further.

then Cheval Sombre, I'm not sure his songs are any great shakes in their own right, but with added keyboards from Sonic Boom and violin it was a lovely chilled out breather.

caught the end of Lay Llamas who were a new discovery for me, really like the grooves topped with thick guitar.

Caught the beginning of Anthroprophh which was totally intense from the get go. massive crunching guitars. wish I could have caught more but we headed off to get a good spot for Sleepy Sun who were tremendous as expected. they decided to play a rather epic set of mostly their longer, proggier songs. what I like about the band is the texture and depth to the sound that some psych bands can lack when they simply go for the jugular.

Gnod played a guitar-based improvised set. one piece I really enjoyed (that was kind of a heavy motorik thing), but mostly was a bit full on and lacking dynamics and focus.

Teeth of The Sea I have mixed feelings about, caught the beginning of their set and still not sure what I think about them. It was (surprisingly?) possibly the loudest set of the weekend with some proper trouser flapping synths. some of the grooves are good but the techno bits don't do much for me.

with some good planning we managed to get a decent spot for Goat. damn it was rammed in there. and boiling hot. and I was knackered. and the sound wasn't great. so I was not in a good state to enjoy it, but as the set went on it sucked me in and the last song was simply awesome. the controlled wah-wah guitar playing was fantastic.
I do wish they hadn't put Goat on at 1am to be honest. their ATP set was definitely more enjoyable. and boy, I guess they didn't realise just how popular they are.. for those who watched White Hills, what sort of crowd did they manage to get?

there were no sets this year that blew my mind or anything (you can't get that every time) but it was just high quality across the board.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah some good valid points made by all, highlights for me as follows;

Asteroid#4- One of my favourite who seldom dissapoint live, they cranked it up and played a great set on the Friday asnd I couldnt help but winder why they were on so early. Cracking cover versions of I Look areound (Rain parade) and I Wanna Touch You (Catherine Wheel)
Besnard Lakes- Again a band I really enjoy live, they went for a loud/psych type vibe and very much went for a a ful on show, never heard them so loud,
Sleepy Sun- As angelsights mentions, all the longer songs in their set (Maui Twars, Sandstone Women, White Dove etc) but they have great awareness on stage and of each other, so they seldom play a song the same way twice, they dont noodle away, always prefering to stay sonically focused, but their sets ebb and flow effortlessly, again a fave band of mine and miles better without the annoying female singer, who sounded good on record, but often tried to be the star of the show on stage.
Lay Llamas, not aware of these before the fest and thought they were great, drummer was compulsive viewing.
Goat- Despite my fatigue, I thought they were great, but agree the vocals came over too loud and shrill, great fun though and glad we got in early enough (sounded a bit like Hills I thought :wink: )
Gutted I missed the Early years, but seen them twice before and their lack of new naterial is starting to wear thin with me.
Gnod I find so hit and miss live they are almost unmissable !! Never know what you are gonna get. This set, I will be honest was one dimensional and dull, they are better when they go for a vibe, this was just a sonic assult which got boring.
Wolf people were as usual very good (give or take his shocking vocals) lots of proggy, guitar fused riffery that seemed to impress the crowd. Didnt notice any new tunes in their set but may be wrong.
Janitors were superb and full of power. Think Nick Cave fronting a doomier Black Angels, loudly !
Toilets were a joke, and yes it was a little overcrowded but not uncomfortably so, organisers are treading a fine line though, if they pack em in anymore so, I will be voting with my feet. Food decent, beers excellent, compnay top class and huge thanks again to Olan for top draw hospitality. Hugely appreciated
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That was good wasn't it?! :D

Band of Friday was easily Black Bombaim, just great power trio instrumental jams.

Highlight of the weekend by a fucking cosmically stretched distance was Anthroprophh. Christ, what an assault, absolutely magnificent :shock: 8) :D Special mention to Hills and Gnod who were also fantastic.

Most of the bands sounded better live than on record but a lot of the psych scene's weaknesses were exposed as so many acts were pleasant/fine/alright/decent-enough sounding, but it wasn't until Anthroprophh played that we were really treated as to how this shit should be done.
A few minor quibbles : more toilets needed. Somewhere to get a cup of tea would be nice as I was gasping for one on Saturday but couldn't find anywhere, and finally more visuals aimed at the crowd. I had hoped that at a psych fest i'd have my retinas burned out but unfortunately we never got that kind of thing at all. The projections on/behind the bands were lovely but i'd have liked to have been lost in a whiteout! Oh yeah, lack of recreationals too :wink:

Great to meet up with board members who provided me with some good laughs, stories and put me at ease immediately. It was a pleasure chaps.
I would definitely go again next year but I wouldn't want it to get any busier.

Sunday was a bit of a nightmare though as my flight got delayed for three hours and when i should have been at home tucking into dinner i was only stepping onto the plane :evil: I then got home to discover we had acquired a kitten in my absence!! Nothing against cats but our track record at our current address is not good; four dead in two years. She is a cutie though and hopefully she has the good sense to steer clear of cars.

However, Monday provided good vibes as when I got home from college the postman had paid a visit leaving The Heads box set and some Burning Mirrors and White Manna vinyl and cd's from The Cardinal! :D :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

As a first timer at this fest. I had a fantastic time, a really good crowd, all ages an types making a great atmosphere topped of with fantastic weather, it really helps, was also good to meet some folks from the forum, put some faces to names I seem to have known for years :) Generally facilities I thought were pretty good, decent beer and cider reasonable priced and food was better than average for this type of affair, later on at night when it seemed particularly busy the toilet situation could have been improved I suppose, minor gripes though, although the inability to get a cup of f#ckin` tea or coffee really needs addressed.

Musically it was amazing for me just to see so many bands I like in the one weekend, as a lot of bands seem think a UK tour only needs to go as far as Manchester, in fact , if anything there is almost too much to see!! Half hour sets meant a lot of running about an stuff missed plus bands playing at 2 am, really wanted to see Camera, but after being on the go all day I was done in, old age, maybe they could have it over 3 days, longer sets and earlier finishes.

Highlights for me were many,
Friday: SpinDrift, Asteroid No4, Holy Waves, Spectres and Black Bombaim all delivering great sets in one way or another, but the 2 standouts for me, were The Vacant Lots punishing, suicide inspired rock n roll moves, so much more aggressive than the album would have you believe they were capable of, god knows what Bryan is doing inside that open flight case he stands behind, but the noise is fearsome, and Allah- Las with their harmonies and understated psyche/garage, pop style and endless highway, desert visuals really complimenting the whole thing, a neat Byrds/Kinks package, great show.

Saturday : Kicked of by watching the Liverpool derby, was interesting to see the passion generated in the city on match day, The Janitors were pretty good enjoyed the set, but the day for me really revolved around the Rocket Records bands on the Camp Stage, Lay Llamas drew a very health crowd in, could hardly move when they were on, the heavy, hypnotic beats had a kinda exotic vibe/ edge and went down very well, heads nodding vigorously all around. Anthroprophh were the stand out act for me all weekend, the energy, volume and aggression were phenomenal, at times I really was wondering ` what the f#ck are they doing?` ,grinning madly and a few genuine trouser flapping moments, it was brutal, in good way. Some amazing stuff on their new album and they went through large chunks of it. Hills were good, really good, big rolling grooves and jams, a 10 min version of Rise Again being a highlight. Being honest I needed a rest after all that, sat out TOTS and GNOD, waited for White Hills, I loved seeing them with a decent set up, light show, sound etc.I had planned to watch most of White Hills then nip in and see the end of Goat, but my mate told me about the crowd scenario, and decided to give it a miss, was happy watching White Hills, the crowd for them was noticeably smaller than earlier, for the Rocket Showcase, but was still a healthy crowd, all in all I had a great time, and will probably do it again next year.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I just went up for the Saturday and, despite quite a journey from and back to Brighton, was so glad I made it up to Liverpool. Had such a great time, saw lots of amazing bands and met some very lovely folk (mainly from this very forum). Big thank you to Olan and family for putting me up for the night and generally being a top bloke. Brilliant to hook up with Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time, Sunray, niamhm, James T and, very briefly right at the end, King Harry.

My highlights were Cheval Sombre with Sonic (who was on very fine form), The Janitors, Lay Llamas, Anthroprophh (fuck me were they loud!), Gnod and White Hills. For me though, the performance of the day went to Hills (and even the revelation about them that was revealed to me couldn't dampen their magnificent set :wink: ). I watched them about 3 rows from there front next to the Cardinal who was so in the zone, eyes closed and head nodding away. It was so good to finally meet him in the flesh and you'd be pushed to find anyone else so enthusiastic and passionate about the music they love.

Have to agree with others about the excellent set up of the festival apart from a severe, and I mean severe, lack of toilets. There was a bit of a farce with the Goat set in the main arena at the end, with too many people in the room and people not being let in or out (which could of proved a total disaster under different circumstances). It was so hot in there too that I was quite happy to leave with Olan to catch the last 3 or 4 songs of White Hills' set (especially as I'm seeing Goat in Brighton tomorrow anyway). I too was just so knackered at the end that I didn't have it in me to stay and watch Camera's set at 2am (I'm clearly getting too old for this... though at least I'm not one of those moaning about the lack of tea facilities :lol: :roll: ). Spent a shed load in the Piccadilly Records pop-up shop but it could have been even more if the White Hills had have brought some blue vinyl copies of their latest LP and if Hills and Gnod had any t-shirts for sell.

All-in-all though, it was an immensely enjoyable day out and I can certainly see myself going again next year (but can't help feel they're going to start running out of "psych" bands soon)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Lovely to read these reports, sounds like a fantastic weekend!
I think I feel it coming on
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Brilliant atmosphere, and great to catch up with a few of you! Must say, though, the sound ruined it for me MASSIVELY. I was told ti wasn't so bad at the front, but when you're switching from stage to stage you want to be able to get a comfortable spot and just admire the sights and sounds. Best bit for me was Cheval Sombre. Enjoyed what I saw of Hills and lots of others, but didn't really catch many full sets cause of the sound and also toilet situation at times.

An hour wait for a Pizza, too.

Had a very good time, but not so much cause of the acts. Would rather watch bands in better places, but admire the festival what what it is doing in the most part.

Goat situation was stupid. I got in but others didn't, so we went home instead.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Not to derail the thread, but Austin Psych Fest crossed the gone corporate line for us this year. Trying to cram too many bands into the weekend, ticket prices way up, offering "deluxe" packages and failing miserably, over the top security that were total twats, and absence of the punk rock do it your self vibe which was there in previous years. Sometimes smaller is better :idea: Word has it the festival is being sold to a company to run next year -- a real shame if true :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I had no problem with the sound quality at all. Goat sounded a bit off, but even that was still good.
compare it to your average outdoor festival in a field and the sound is great I think.

I don't think they are about to run out of psych bands as long as they keep their definition quite loose. even within the genre I can think of 5 - 10 bands that haven't played that I would love. roll on next year.

sad news about Austin Psych Fest.. hope Liverpool doesn't go the same way.
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

purespace wrote:Not to derail the thread, but Austin Psych Fest crossed the gone corporate line for us this year. Trying to cram too many bands into the weekend, ticket prices way up, offering "deluxe" packages and failing miserably, over the top security that were total twats, and absence of the punk rock do it your self vibe which was there in previous years. Sometimes smaller is better :idea: Word has it the festival is being sold to a company to run next year -- a real shame if true :?
Again sorry for derailing the LPF thread but do you have any more info on this (pm if necessary)
Just that a few people I know are considering heading over to this next year and obviously would think twice about the expenditure if the consensus is that it is going downhill.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Did anyone managed to nab any of the sets that were being streamed online? And if so would you care to share them please? :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Huxley123 wrote:
purespace wrote:Not to derail the thread, but Austin Psych Fest crossed the gone corporate line for us this year. Trying to cram too many bands into the weekend, ticket prices way up, offering "deluxe" packages and failing miserably, over the top security that were total twats, and absence of the punk rock do it your self vibe which was there in previous years. Sometimes smaller is better :idea: Word has it the festival is being sold to a company to run next year -- a real shame if true :?
Again sorry for derailing the LPF thread but do you have any more info on this (pm if necessary)
Just that a few people I know are considering heading over to this next year and obviously would think twice about the expenditure if the consensus is that it is going downhill.
This good news from APF. Based on this, we've decided to give the fest another go in 2015 and have booked accordingly:

LEVITATION

Since founding Austin Psych Fest in 2008, we’ve brought our favorite bands from around the world to Austin, TX, gathering a global community for our annual event. It’s a dream come true.

We started Austin Psych Fest to honor and preserve Austin’s psychedelic rock heritage, and carry it into the future. Over the years, countless other “psych fest” events have popped up around the globe – music communities all over the world are gathering together and celebrating music and art together, under the banner of psychedelic rock. This is an amazing thing and we are proud to be a part of it.

In 2015 we are redefining what we’re doing with a renewed focus on the music we love, and to mark that change the festival is taking on a new name: LEVITATION. The title comes from one of our favorite tracks from Austin legends The 13th Floor Elevators, who have provided us with endless inspiration. Their music and message transcended genre – they were, and are, true innovators.

We will continue to invite innovative and captivating artists to perform at the festival, and gather a global community to experience great music performed live in all its glory at LEVITATION, in Austin, TX each year.

We look forward to seeing everyone in May!
TRANSMISSION EVENTS

To produce LEVITATION we are partnering up with our friends at Transmission Events, the masterminds behind Fun Fun Fun Fest, and over 700 shows each year in Austin venues like ACL Live, Mohawk, Red 7 and many more. TE have been big supporters of Austin Psych Fest over the years and we have an incredible amount of respect and admiration for what they do.

TE brings the resources and experience we need to manifest our goals for the festival, improving every aspect and bringing our full vision to life.

We are very excited to work with TE towards these goals and presenting you with the best festival experience yet!