J spaceman - rough trade east rsd

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

simonkeeping
Known user

J spaceman - rough trade east rsd

Post by simonkeeping »

Just seen he's playing on Saturday evening at 6pm for record shop day at rough trade east. There's a band on at 7.30 so I guess he'll be on for maybe an hour?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
gassjack
Known user

Re: J spaceman - rough trade east rsd

Post by gassjack »

yup I saw that too. I phoned RTE and it's not a wristband or ticket event and he is playing from 6-7:30 so could potentially be full set.... I'm getting there about 2pm to queue for it.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Heading down for this too, so do we think it will be entrance until full then one in one out?
wonder what the set and set up will be
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Queuing from 2pm! Blimey, I didn't think it would be that mental?
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Got here about 3:30, met up with mates, had food - no stress at all. I thought it would be a total clusterfuck. At front of stage now.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

fucking amazing show - he played just one song - The Bridge Song - but turned it into a 40 minute epic.

Some people were a bit disgruntled coz he chose to sit on a stool on the floor next to the stage rather than on actually get onto the stage and even then had his back to the audience. But hey this is Spaceman, if you don't know what he's about by now then that ain't his problem!

Anyway I thought it was amazing, could have sat there for ages listening to him.

Sadly despite getting up at 4am I didn't get Space Project box or JS/Kid Millions thing but I don't care anymore - I got something better.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Good set.

I was in Brick Lane for 4.00 and there was about a 10 minute wait to get in to Rough Trade. I wasn’t going to spend 3 hours in a shop so went for a wander around E1. Came home with a beard, full sleeve tattoo and no socks. :wink:

I was too late to get the Spaceman / Kid Millions EP nor did I get The Standells Dirty Water 7” that I had my eye on. The Translucent Flashbacks box did look pretty good.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Ws a good day! Saw the Spaceman (who was in rude heath by the looks of him), waited about 2 monutes then went straight in and soaked up the vibes. Great tunes being played before he started. The bridge song was pretty epic, after about 10 minutes I felt like I was in the zone - he played a really simple motif then built up on that - really beautiful. The harmonica playing took it somewhere else! It was pure drone bliss. John Coxon was in the house too and for all you guitar geeks, J had the most beautiful, vintage Magnatone amp with him.

Managed the pick up both the Mississippi box set (which I wasn't going to get but after queueing for 2+ hours I thought, why not?) and the live album which is far better than I could have hoped for. Really, really strong sounding album. The quieter side (Misha?) is again more drone magic, the noisy side is immense - and it really shows Kid Millions at his best.

Big respect to Rough Trade (both East and West) for working there arses off all day. It can't be easy dealing with that volume of people, especially when they run out of stuff, but they were all so friendly and nice.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

He did look strangely healthy!! And yes that amp was a thing of beauty. Great day all in all.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wait ... I'm confused. Is "rude health" good or bad? Sounds bad to me, but then gassjack said he looked "strangely healthy".
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:Wait ... I'm confused. Is "rude health" good or bad? Sounds bad to me, but then gassjack said he looked "strangely healthy".
It's an odd idiom, but is common parlance over here to describe good health. I'm sure the etymology is out there on the net but I've no idea of the origin.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Anyone record this? I'd love to hear a 40+ minute version of that track. The Space Project Lp is my favorite RSD 2014 release by some distance.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

spzretent wrote:Anyone record this? I'd love to hear a 40+ minute version of that track. The Space Project Lp is my favorite RSD 2014 release by some distance.
I wish I had!!! It was mind-blowing.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I thought rude health was BAD. Oh well, good conversation.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Further exploration shows that "rude" can also mean vigorous, robust, sturdy in addition to the obvious, so it isn't even an idiom, but rather a simple description - albeit one derived from a meaning that is apparently not widely known.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:I thought rude health was BAD. Oh well, good conversation.
Ha! Yea good conversation but yea rude health is a good thing!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

spzretent wrote:Anyone record this? I'd love to hear a 40+ minute version of that track. The Space Project Lp is my favorite RSD 2014 release by some distance.

I need to hear this! I've been obsessing over this song for the last two months.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I've heard the saying 'in rude health' but until now in a negative way. Maybe it is different in the uk? Maybe I had it wrong all these years.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm pretty sure the phrase originates in the UK - and it's definitely always meant someone appearing and acting very well healthwise.

That's enough from the dictionary corner for now...
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

it comes from ruddy, as in healthy, fresh etc as seen in blake's poem

And it bears the fruit of Deceit,
Ruddy and sweet to eat;

in this context he is showing how deceit dresses in the guise of something tempting. but ruddy, as with most words, changed in meaning, depending on context, and was relegated to a curse word and subsequently was changed to rude to prevent (ironically) confusion!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I always thought "ruddy" was a replacements for "bloody good"... maybe just because they sound similar.

Each to our own (ears)...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Theres a few shots on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_thin_air/13919274216/
I was thinking about recording it but somehow it felt a bit cheeky as it was a free event.

And yes, he was looking well
http://tinyurl.com/25xzksp
:wink:
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Can we get back to talking about this performance?

How many were in attendance? Did you see anyone recording (either audio or video)? Could you describe how he extended this to 40 minutes? Was it by adding in more lyrics, by extending the bridge, or by repeating the verses over and over?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

really hope some kind of recording surfaces, as sounds like it was a one of a kind performance.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

mywhitenoise wrote:Can we get back to talking about this performance?

How many were in attendance? Did you see anyone recording (either audio or video)? Could you describe how he extended this to 40 minutes? Was it by adding in more lyrics, by extending the bridge, or by repeating the verses over and over?
There were maybe 30/40 of us up by the stage but I didn't see anyone recording.

I tried to describe how he played the song on his own but made such a hash of it that I deleted it. Let’s try again…

There was a small fender amp on stage and a larger Magnatone amp which did look rather lovely. He had a Jaguar and a Telecaster which were running through a device that looped the sound. He also had his microphone that makes him sound like he is on the end of a phone line (told you I was crap at describing this).

He started by strumming a few chords which began to loop, pretty heavy feedback at times and then played some lines over the top that also began to loop. He sang a bit which went into the loop and then just accompanied himself on guitar and singing until the song wound down. I think both guitars were played

As mentioned by Simon, Jason was crouched down at the side of the stage with his back to us. I did wonder if the environs of a record shop were really the best setting for a performance like this but I have to say he pulled it off.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow that sounds fucking fantastic.
thank you.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

It was really nice. The first phrase of the loop repeated for what felt like ages and everyone was a bit ‘wheres this going?’. Then after a minor hitch with the looper pedal it all start to get fuzzy and build up. Little bits of wah, tremolo, Its hard to describe but the sound was really warm. After about 10 minutes I felt really weird, in a good way. The brain just succumbing to the overload of repetition and sound.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

sounds a bit like It's Gonna Rain by Steve Reich

http://vimeo.com/3473292

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Gonna_Rain

It's Gonna Rain is a minimalist musical composition for magnetic tape written by Steve Reich in 1965. It lasts approximately 17 minutes and 50 seconds. It was Reich's first major work and a landmark in minimalism and process music.

Analysis

The source material of It's Gonna Rain consists entirely of a tape recording made in 1964 at San Francisco's Union Square. In the recording, an African American Pentecostal preacher, Brother Walter, rails about the end of the world, while accompanying background noises, including the sound of a pigeon taking flight, are heard. The piece opens with the story of Noah, and the phrase "It's Gonna Rain" is repeated and eventually looped throughout the first half of the piece.

For the recording, Reich used two normal Wollensak tape recorders with the same recording, originally attempting to align the phrase with itself at the halfway point (180 degrees). However, due to the imprecise technology in 1965, the two recordings fell out of synch, with one tape gradually falling ahead or behind the other due to minute differences in the machines, the length of the spliced tape loops, and playback speed. Reich decided to exploit what is known as phase shifting, where all possible recursive harmonies are explored before the two loops eventually get back in sync. The following year, Reich created another composition, Come Out, in which the phrase "come out to show them" is looped to create the same effect.

The work is in two parts of roughly equal length, the first using the "It's Gonna Rain" sample as mentioned above, the second using a separate section of the speech with short phrases cut together and the resultant pattern then phased as in the first part, but with additional tape delay to create a more processed sound.

During a lecture at the Long Now Foundation, electronic musician Brian Eno cited It's Gonna Rain as his first experience with minimalism and the genre that would come to be known as ambient music.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Did anyone note what loop pedal he was using?

Or if not, can you describe it - eg red with 2 footswitches = Boss RC20XL or RC30; tiny grey with single DPDT switch = TC Ditto Looper etc...
Dave Chappelle
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I would have love to have seen this too! The song absolutely blows me away any time I listen it (which is on a very frequent basis at the moment).
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

nickh wrote:There was a small fender amp on stage and a larger Magnatone amp which did look rather lovely. He had a Jaguar and a Telecaster which were running through a device that looped the sound. He also had his microphone that makes him sound like he is on the end of a phone line (told you I was crap at describing this).

He started by strumming a few chords which began to loop, pretty heavy feedback at times and then played some lines over the top that also began to loop. He sang a bit which went into the loop and then just accompanied himself on guitar and singing until the song wound down.
You did a better job than I could!!! There were a lot of pedals and things... also Jason kept counting on his fingers... my mate said he had a sequencer (whatever that is)...

Sorry to rub it in but it was utterly astounding - it would make a great release for next RSD.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

mojo filters wrote:Did anyone note what loop pedal he was using?

Or if not, can you describe it - eg red with 2 footswitches = Boss RC20XL or RC30; tiny grey with single DPDT switch = TC Ditto Looper etc...
It was an old purple 2 switch digitech looper. I think it was in the pics from the show released on record store day too.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

simonkeeping wrote:
mojo filters wrote:Did anyone note what loop pedal he was using?

It was an old purple 2 switch digitech looper. I think it was in the pics from the show released on record store day too.
Thanks Simon!
Dave Chappelle
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

bumping this thread with the release of the new single. I hope to God a recording of this exists somewhere.
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

mywhitenoise wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:22 pm bumping this thread with the release of the new single. I hope to God a recording of this exists somewhere.
Not the show you are looking for I'm afraid, but here is something not far off it -

*Original info -
----------------
J Spaceman
September 6th, 2013
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (Foellinger Great Hall)
Urbana, IL, Us

source: SP-BMC-2 > SP-BMC-10 > DR-2D (mic in, 24/96)
editing: Audacity (amplified, fade in/out), r8brain (resample/dither), TLH (flac8)

SBE's found/fixed in Trader's Little Helper using post-pad mode and re-encoded at flac level 8 by senormogul9 in October, 2018.

01. untitled loop / drone improvisation

trt 75:26

* Ellnora Guitar Festival
* about half the audience got scared off by the super-repetitive and noisy nature of the piece, but I'm pretty sure I saw god
* I amplified the music independently of the applause, volume changes occur at 00:15 and 74:57
* 16/44.1 version

don't sell, etc
-rhinowing

---

**re-seeder notes

Greetings SoundFolk! Here at the base of the Rocky Mtns, it was a balmy 75 degrees yesterday. Today? TWENTY-FIVE degrees and snowy, such is life near the mountains at this time of year. In the mood for something kinda droney today, so i thought that i’d reseed this one that was recorded and shared by Dimer ‘rhinowing’ back in September 2013. It’s timely too, with the release of a new Spiritualized album just last month.

If you are into Spiritualized/Spacemen 3/J Spaceman, you’ll know what to expect and if you don’t have it, it’s pretty nice! If you are not familiar, it’s about an hour+ of lovely, droney, effects-laden trippy guitar improvisation – PERFECT for a snowy day!

Thanks to rhinowing for both taping and sharing! Found/fixed SBE’s on the one track as posted in the notes below.

--------------

Download FLACS - 319mb zipfile here - https://wetransfer.com/downloads/cc9435 ... 055/f65896

*Link only available for 5 days!

Thanks to both rhinowing and senormogul9 for recording and uploading
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Spiritualized
March 29, 2019
Troubadour
West Hollywood, CA

Source: Schoeps MK41's > Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 > FLAC
Taped and mastered by Ed Davis

01 Hold On
02 Come Together
03 Shine a Light
04 Stay With Me
05 Soul On Fire
06 She Kissed Me (It Felt Like a Hit
07 Broken Heart
08 A Perfect Miracle
09 I'm Your Man
10 Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go
11 Let's Dance
12 On the Sunshine
13 Damaged
14 The Morning After
15 The Prize
16 Sail On Through
17 So Long You Pretty Thing
18 Out of Sight
19 Oh Happy Day

---------------------

Someone asked me to upload this, here's the link if anyone wants it -

Download FLACS 787mb zipfile - https://we.tl/t-PLASX2xEsK

Link only available for 6 days!

Thank you very much to Ed Davis for this recording
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Thank you for those links! I was right in front of Jason for that Troubadour show, and I recorded it as well, but the quality is nowhere as good as the bootleg you provided (though mine really brings out Jasons playing since I was right next to his monitor, you can notice his solo heavily on Let’s Dance)!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was right up front for this show as well! haha. Thanks for this!
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Tufty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:45 pm Spiritualized
March 29, 2019
Troubadour
West Hollywood, CA
This is a cracking show. Thanks for uploading. Roll on Brighton 🤘
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com