Leeds Cockpit closes

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Leeds Cockpit closes

Post by runcible »

I may not be a fan of the Cockpit but the closing of any venue is bad news for the city it is in. So to read that the Cockpit has suddenly closed is sad. Unfriendly bouncers, a shit sound system and dull bar selection aside, at least it was an opportunity for bands to play and I saw a few good shows there. Maybe the gradual rise of the Brudenell Social Club as THE place to play in Leeds has taken attention away...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-29143038
BVCP206
Known user

Re: Leeds Cockpit closes

Post by BVCP206 »

I once had to push past Patsy Kensit to get to the bar at a BJM gig at the Cockpit, good times :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I can't recall the exact details now, but when I got the press release from the Music Venue Trust a few days ago, specific mention was made of a new or re-purposed existing venue which would host gigs courtesy of the promoters who had previously used Leeds Cockpit. I can't remember the name, but it seemed like gigs originally scheduled for the Cockpit were now being shifted to this other venue.

Although no exact reason was given for the closure, it seemed implicit that this was not a case of a venue forced to close due to noise objections - eg the current battle Manchester's Night & Day Cafe faces due to some half-wit moving into a flat nearby and subsequently complaining to the local council, putting the venue's future at risk.

I'm sure there are already plenty of folks supporting the campaigns to protect these important venues from killjoy wankers. Any interested parties can find more information here, and I recommend liking their Facebook page to get updates in your daily news feed:

http://musicvenuetrust.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

LOOPFLESH was a good final memory to take from there, had some great nights even though the venue wasn't the best. Very handy for dropping into a show being right by the station, not too big, always a decent crowd.

Trail of Dead in maybe 2007 was the best I reckon.