KIKAGAKU MOYO, Horrid & Dead Sea Apes - Manchester Roadhouse

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

James T
Known user

KIKAGAKU MOYO, Horrid & Dead Sea Apes - Manchester Roadhouse

Post by James T »

Dots & Loops + The Beauty Witch present...

KIKAGAKU MOYO + support from Horrid & Dead Sea Apes
Wednesday 22nd October - The Roadhouse, Manchester
Early bird tickets sold out, £8 advance here: https://www.wegottickets.com/event/289407

To anyone who has heard the music of Kikagaku Moyo, it should come as no surprise that the band’s origins lie in hours upon hours of late-night jamming, illuminated by nothing more than the geometric patterns playing behind the band’s eyelids, resulting in a natural, free-floating sound, as of-the-earth as it is intergalactic. It may be surprising that the band sharpened their improvisational skills by busking on the streets of their native Tokyo. It may be surprising that the band’s overall sound may owe as much or more to the Incredible String Band as it does to Acid Mother’s Temple.

But what’s perhaps most surprising about Forest of Lost Children, the band’s face-melting, recorded-ritual sophomore album, is how utterly centered and mature the band sounds, especially given their relatively short lifespan as a band. Boundless though they may be, Kikagaku Moyo here sound anything but lost, their child-like wonder manifested in a confident, courageous exploration of sound. Labels – psychedelic, folk, prog-rock, psychedelic-folk-mixed-with-prog-rock – do little to accurately reflect the spectrum of influences on display, let alone the more impactful realization of completeness in Kikagaku.

Laz69
Known user

Re: KIKAGAKU MOYO, Horrid & Dead Sea Apes - Manchester Roadh

Post by Laz69 »

Cannot bloody wait!

8)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Looking forward to this. great line up as well.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Gonna be a great night!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hopefully going to catch them in London. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well THAT as amazing
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

It really was. All the bands were great and it was great to finally see Dead Sea Apes, but Kikagaku Moyo were just mind blowing. They were incredibly heavy but their use of the sitar worked so well it was just superb. Great rhythm section who kept it thick and intense leaving the two guitarists to just play off each other. I'm not sure if they realise just how good they are! Brilliant night overall. Great to meet some people at last (sorry James T, i never had a chance to speak with you).

I put some pics up on Facebook. Not sure if the link will work for everyone, but you can see them here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6a272fbd4f
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sorry I was really busy, and then I drank the rider and was out of it! They got kicked out of the hotel, such funny guys. Amazing show, and brilliant turn-out which surprised me a little. Proud of the show we put on for the 3 bands.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

It was an incredible eveining, I concur with all of the above. Cant wait for these guys to head back over here at some point next year hopefully.
They are definately heavier live than on record, but there are real chilled moments admist the chaos. All good