Reading 1998

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Reading 1998

Post by plastic37 »

I have done a search for this and found nothing on this forum.
On another board The Dr brought up the annual rash of Joy Division related publishing - those guys really know the true meaning of Christmas!
That lead me to YouTube in search of footage of New Order at Reading 1998. And now to here to request a bootleg of the Spiritualized set from that event.

Although its not seared into my Top XX list in many ways i think that evening must be.
I was expecting a New Order set - something I'm not really fused about and my companions were even less bothered. They're OK... seemed like a better bet than the alternative attraction even though my mates rhetoric was along the lines of "come on, you've already seen NO headline the main stage a Reading twice... come over to the tent and see something new". They ventured off to one of the tent stages and left me to see NO on my own. But two songs in they started playing Joy Division songs... and didn't stop playing Joy Division songs for five or so tracks.

AND THEN...
over to the tent to watch Spiritualized.

so that's kind of ... the night i saw Joy Division supporting Spiritualized.

SO, it would be really cool to obtain that set. As i remember it was just the guitars - no horns, no singers doing a Ladies and Gentelmen heavy set. Some interesting heckles from folk near me which will be funny to hear again if a recording has captured them.

Fingers crossed
Heavy Tourism
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Reading 1998

Post by BzaInSpace »

This show definitely exists - in fact even better it was recorded by the BBC for the Evening Session. I know this as I remember taping it off the radio. Massive radio compression gave everything a big fat sound. 'Come Together' sounded great, I think they started with that?

I still have that cassette somewhere, I did have a really good digital rip once but it's not where I thought it might be so could have been lost in the Great HD Fuckup of last year. Will get back on this...
O P 8
plastic37
Known user

Re: Reading 1998

Post by plastic37 »

Cheers
Heavy Tourism
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Reading 1998

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote: I still have that cassette somewhere, I did have a really good digital rip once but it's not where I thought it might be so could have been lost in the Great HD Fuckup of last year. Will get back on this...
Quick bump. I found a bunch of CD-Rs with numerous show on them, Reading 1998 is sadly not one of them, so looks like it was indeed lost in the Great HD Fuckup.

Unless anybody else has it floating around, I'll have to rip from the original cassette I guess. I have an endless backlog of stuff like that - still need to work on a New York show soundboard tape via Alan in Detroit... I'll get there.
O P 8