Liverpool Psych Fest 2015 with Spiritualized

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

sunray
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2015 with Spiritualized

Post by sunray »

That Cardinal Fuzz stage really does stand out over everything else.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bit gutting when the few real essential bands you wanna see at a fest, clash with each other.

I'm hoping that it won't be the case of a total clash, but just a bit of overlap.
can't recall how LPF usually do it, but festivals should be savvy and at least stagger between the stages a bit.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

hmm was worried about this.

My method on Day one may end up spending loads of time on the Finders Keepers stage type thing, love all that stuff and Jane Weaver is class. Carlton Melton will not be missed either

Sunday thinking is Heads over everything else (inc Spiritualized who I have seen 20 times plus) Death and Vanilla also a must. Hookworms seen nigh on 10 times so they can wait if there is a clash, Jane Weaver essential as well.

But I suppose until the times are published its all a bit hit and miss as I recall the last few years the stages dont run as headliner and headliner on at the same time, its quite staggered. We shall see
Be a blast to catch up with everyone either way
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Hi, everyone!

It is with great pleasure I read this forum, although I hardly ever contribute. I'm a Spiritualized fan living in Oslo. I've been a fan since around LAGWAFIS and I have seen Spz on numerous occasions. I just realised I'll be in England during Liverpool Psych Fest, but accommodation and trains have already been arranged for a trip to Devon. I am, however, seriously tempted to travel up to Liverpool on Saturday, but I realise accommodation up there might be expensive, so does anyone know of a cheap place to stay?

Cheers!
J.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:bit gutting when the few real essential bands you wanna see at a fest, clash with each other.

I'm hoping that it won't be the case of a total clash, but just a bit of overlap.
can't recall how LPF usually do it, but festivals should be savvy and at least stagger between the stages a bit.
That Saturday does seem like its jam packed with the best stuff doesn't it? Wasn't it the same last year though, hence I only went to the Saturday. Hopefully there's not much overlap but with Radar Men From The Moon, Kogumaza, Bonnacons Of Doom, Magic Castles, Dead Sea Apes, Kandodo, Cult of Dom Keller, Lumerians, Sun Araw, Jane Weaver, Hookworms, The Heads AND Spiritulized all on the same day its hardly likely I'm going to manage to catch them all. For me its just Carlton Melton that I REALLY want to see on the Friday, but I'm also looking forward to Anton Newcombe and Tess Parks, Destruction Unit, Factory Floor, Blank Mass and just discovering new stuff really. However it ends up I know its going to be a great weekend.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah Saturday is looking better but that's probably because it starts earlier in the day, so there's just more bands on that day for one thing.

on Friday I definitely want to catch Carlton Melton (obviously!) Destruction Unit (they have been rocking my world lately) and Holydrug Couple (yeah I know they been getting slagged off round these parts recently, but wanna make my own mind up)

on Saturday, it's unfortunate that The Heads and Spiritualized clash- but I can kind of see the logic as they are different types of psych, so don't necessarily have the same fanbase. obviously The Heads are a rare treat to see live, and the current Spz set is pretty uninspiring- that doesn't change the fact that Spz are my favourite band, and I would be gutted to not catch at least a bit of their set.

also definitely want to see Sun Araw, The Flowers of Hell, and some wildcards like Sex Swing (sax fuelled noise rock).

I actually really like the look of the 'musing in drone' series of talks too.

but overall I think it's just best to go with the flow with this fest. will be good to catch up with the usual crew. my knowledge of psych is not as encyclopaedic as some of you folk- a lot of the Cardinal Fuzz bands I know by name only, so hopefully this will be a chance for me to discover some new faves too.
Feedback Forever wrote:Hi, everyone!

It is with great pleasure I read this forum, although I hardly ever contribute. I'm a Spiritualized fan living in Oslo. I've been a fan since around LAGWAFIS and I have seen Spz on numerous occasions. I just realised I'll be in England during Liverpool Psych Fest, but accommodation and trains have already been arranged for a trip to Devon. I am, however, seriously tempted to travel up to Liverpool on Saturday, but I realise accommodation up there might be expensive, so does anyone know of a cheap place to stay?

Cheers!
J.
welcome to the board!
Devon is a lovely part of the country but the LPF should not be missed! can't be of much help re: a place to stay I'm afraid. a couple of years back I left it a bit late to sort a hotel myself, and had to stay in a cheapo one miles away from the site. might be a bit tricky this close to the date but I guess it's affected by what else is going on in the city.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The Heads and Spiritualized slashing is a horrorshow for me. I await to see what my DJ set on the Saturday will clash with......
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:The Heads and Spiritualized slashing is a horrorshow for me. I await to see what my DJ set on the Saturday will clash with......
didn't know you were DJing. nice one! will you be playing any KISS in your set? :)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I'm thinking Friday > Saturday

Not sure that I can actually get there on the Friday though

Great shame
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

angelsighs wrote:
James T wrote:The Heads and Spiritualized slashing is a horrorshow for me. I await to see what my DJ set on the Saturday will clash with......
didn't know you were DJing. nice one! will you be playing any KISS in your set? :)
There is more chance of some Prince on this occasion I reckon.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Spiritualized and The Heads clashing would be a major disappointment, I must bloody say, while there as been some grumbling about the recent setlists, the thought of missing them brings whilst being in the same postcode brings the problem into sharp focus. I worked out recently this would be my 20th Spiritualized show and I`ve never seen The Heads at all, so its a no brainer if I have to choose, but f#c me that is pish!! Very similar to White Hills & Goat clashing last year,still fingers crossed we`re worrying about nothing :shock:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
There is more chance of some Prince on this occasion I reckon.
that might actually work quite well!
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

welcome to the board!
Devon is a lovely part of the country but the LPF should not be missed! can't be of much help re: a place to stay I'm afraid. a couple of years back I left it a bit late to sort a hotel myself, and had to stay in a cheapo one miles away from the site. might be a bit tricky this close to the date but I guess it's affected by what else is going on in the city.
Cheers! Friday is, unfortunately, out of the question, but I'll see if it's possible to make it to Liverpool for Spiritualized. If I can't get away, then here's to hoping for an Oslo show soon.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Triple blue vinyl comp of 30 acts who have played at LPF will be on sale there: http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.co.uk/201 ... mpilation/

£30 for the blue vinyl and £24 for black (don't think the black vinyl or cd versions will be available at festival).

At this rate i won't be buying any booze or food, all my cash will have gone on merch!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's a pretty enticing compilation in its own right!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Holydrug Couple have now pulled out.

I would think it's probably too late to find a decent replacement for them.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shame that, wanted to check them out, does that only leave two bands from Sacred Bones Records now? Like you say probably to late to get someone else in, Moon Duo, Follakzoid or Psychic Ills would be a right bonus at this stage :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:Shame that, wanted to check them out, does that only leave two bands from Sacred Bones Records now? Like you say probably to late to get someone else in, Moon Duo, Follakzoid or Psychic Ills would be a right bonus at this stage :)
slightly gutted about this... they were on my list of bands to catch.
any of those would be an awesome replacement.. but I think at this late stage we've got more chance of Sonic Boom turning up to do an impromptu Spacemen 3 reunion!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spiritualized on from 12:-1:30 which clashes with The Heads who play from 23:45-00:45. I'll probably be in time for Oh Baby and Rated X then
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, there looks like clashes galore on this. Why on earth put the two biggest names of the weekend on at the same time?! Plus Carlton Melton not on till 1am on the Friday after a 6 hour journey getting up to Liverpool from Brighton...I reckon I'll do well to not fall asleep before you this year Olan :wink:
Last edited by Shinesalight on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Man, there looks like clashes galore on this. Why on earth put the two biggest names of the weekend on at the same time?! Plus Carlton Melton not on till 1am on the Friday after a 6 hour getting up to Liverpool from Brighton...I reckon I'll do well to not fall asleep before you this year Olan :wink:
:evil: Fuck off Adam....I was only dozing
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haha is it sad that I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the times? "I will be flagging a bit by the time Carlton Melton come on stage!" a think a little sit down on the beanbags upstairs may be in order beforehand..

kinda past caring that The Heads and Spiritualized clash now... I guess it will be a case of catching the beginning of The Heads set and the end of Spz. just gonna go with the flow I guess.

I think it's important to remember that The Heads are not actually one of the "biggest names"- maybe to us geeks here, but in general they are a cult act and Spz are much better known to music fans at large. so it's not actually that weird to put them on at the same time. plus they are different kinds of psych (poppy spacerock compared to heavy psych)

there's always the chance that one of the stages will be running late by that time...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I have to say that as something of an oldie these stage times are one of the main reasons why I don't attend events such as the LPF. I just don't stay up that late anymore...!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup had a closer look at the times and most of the bands I really wanna see are clashing... ah well..

I may be a (relative!) youngster but I will have to pace myself for this too!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I would advise that anybody even moderately interested in The Heads or Carlton Melton make sure that they see Kandodo 3 play on Saturday. It will be unique, like all Kandodo gigs, but just a bit more so :D . This is particularly true if you aren't going to watch The Heads later on...which would be a huge mistake IMHO.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:I would advise that anybody even moderately interested in The Heads or Carlton Melton make sure that they see Kandodo 3 play on Saturday. It will be unique, like all Kandodo gigs, but just a bit more so :D . This is particularly true if you aren't going to watch The Heads later on...which would be a huge mistake IMHO.
Seconded.

Lots of clashes alright, as to be expected. Surprised that Factory Floor are ending at 2.30 was kinda expecting them to be just starting at that time! At least it means i'll get half of their set anyways.
The live aspect appears to be finishing up earlier this year with DJ's bulking out the last few hours. Pretty sure I watched Camera finish up at near 4 am last year.

Will have to get in early on Saturday for Girl Sweat :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just realised that Spiritualized are playing the Furnace.
Should we expect a repeat of the Goat debacle of last year then? I will be extremely pissed off to be locked out of the room Spiritualized are playing in!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'd like to see the heads but it's going to have to be spz for me even though I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

looking forward to seeing Anton and Tess and the lumerians and meeting up with you good people.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:Just realised that Spiritualized are playing the Furnace.
Should we expect a repeat of the Goat debacle of last year then? I will be extremely pissed off to be locked out of the room Spiritualized are playing in!
oh god you're right... forgot about that. luckily that decision wasn't difficult for me (not a huge White Hills fan, but like Goat a lot)

however, leaving The Heads set early, then to be barred from Spz, that is gonna give me the right hump.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So Kandodo 3 is going to be expanded to Kandodo 5 for Liverpool. Any ideas on who the extra two members will be? Prof will hardly be one of them will he?
I reckon a couple of Carlton Melton dudes myself. Should be great whoever they are.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote:So Kandodo 3 is going to be expanded to Kandodo 5 for Liverpool. Any ideas on who the extra two members will be? Prof will hardly be one of them will he?
I reckon a couple of Carlton Melton dudes myself. Should be great whoever they are.
Robert Hampson played with them at Roadburn earlier this year, in fact I`m pretty sure the 1st thing they did was a kinda riff/jam on the lead track on the Loop ep, Proccession. Another decision to be made, I want to see these guys but a clash with Hey Colossus has me in a bind :? In Gold Or Black has been one of my fav. albums this year and the lead single of new album is also sounding pretty immense.

The real ball-buster is having to choose between The Heads, who I`ve never seen yet but so want to, or Spiritualized who are probably my fav. band, I feel the set up down there makes it an either or choice, pretty annoying to think the other is just through the wall :evil:

But hey ho, f#ckity f#ck, I`m sure a great time will be had regardless, look forward to meeting some fellow forum dudes tomorrow. :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:
sunray wrote:So Kandodo 3 is going to be expanded to Kandodo 5 for Liverpool. Any ideas on who the extra two members will be? Prof will hardly be one of them will he?
Robert Hampson played with them at Roadburn earlier this year, in fact I`m pretty sure the 1st thing they did was a kinda riff/jam on the lead track on the Loop ep, Proccession. Another decision to be made, I want to see these guys but a clash with Hey Colossus has me in a bind :? In Gold Or Black has been one of my fav. albums this year and the lead single of new album is also sounding pretty immense.

The real ball-buster is having to choose between The Heads, who I`ve never seen yet but so want to, or Spiritualized who are probably my fav. band, I feel the set up down there makes it an either or choice, pretty annoying to think the other is just through the wall :evil:

But hey ho, f#ckity f#ck, I`m sure a great time will be had regardless, look forward to meeting some fellow forum dudes tomorrow. :)
Paul Allen and Rich from Carlton Melton. I'm hoping for something like the dubby Heads set from Roadburn in April.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

I caught the opening of the set and called time to try check out The Heads, who unfortunately had finished by time I arrived.
Jason is probably the biggest musical influence in my life, but it just doesn't do it for me these days live.
Opened with (pretty sure);

Hey Jane
Lord let it rain on me
Cheapster
Here it comes (?)

Given my favourite albums by a mile are the first 4, some would argue that I wouldn't ever be won over by that start. I've seen Spiritualized blow my mind from start to finish in the past and would rather keep those memories.
Heard great reports on Born Never Asked and Electric Mainline.

All in all a brilliant day. Jane Weaver owned it for me. She possibly played to the biggest crowd of the day (although Spiritualized would have been way busier, but there was a 1 in, 1 out policy).
Best dressed chicken
New user

Post by Best dressed chicken »

First time on here. My mate got a copy of the set list from the sound board people - hopefully it's uploaded. Loved the set and thought the band were great. Only arrived at the Camp around 8pm on Saturday and spent most of the time catching up with friends until Jason came on, but loved the feel of the festival. I have missed nights out in Liverpool :roll:
Attachments
Spiz setlist.jpg
Spiz setlist.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 22679 times
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I originally posted this to the Brudenell thread, so I've shifted it here - yet another old man moment..... :roll:

OK, I'm just recovering from a fairly busy weekend at the Liverpool Psyche Fest. There was a hefty turnout of locals from here (Shinesalight, Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time, James T, clewsr, Sunray, Dave Cambridge, niamhm) leading to a fairly hectic weekend. The tune of the weekend for me was the opening number in the Dead Sea Apes' set. The two best sets were Kandodo 5 which was simply brilliant but was topped by The Heads who have left me with a smile on my face and a ringing in my ears. I didn't try to get in to see the last half an hour of Spiritualized, but am told it was excellent.

All around summary of the weekend: :D

EDIT: Obviously Carlton Melton kicked arse too, I had forgotten to mention this...... :oops:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Liverpool was truly amazing this year. Was great to meet up with and chat to loads of lovely people and witness some amazing performances. The "who to see out of The Heads/Spiritualized" debate raged all day and was a difficult decision for us all to make. I was originally in The Heads camp but knew it was going to be a nightmare getting in to see the end of the Spiritualized set and thought it would be extremely weird knowing that Spiritualized were basically playing in the room next door and I wouldn't be seeing them. Also, I had seen the light show for some of the smaller acts in the Furnace section of the venue and knew that Spiritualized would be bringing the heavy artillery lights-wise....the strobes. Lots of strobes!!! :D :D 8) 8)

I was not disappointed (well, apart from having to miss the Heads, who I knew would be incredible having witnessed them live earlier this year in London :( ) and Spiritualized were the best I have seen them in a long time. Myself, my wife and a few fellow forumites managed to get pretty much right down the front and it was very noisy, powerful and just wonderful to watch. I thought the set list, though not perfect, was great and Kid Millions on drums, though a bit of acquired taste, added some real oomph to the overall sound. I'm a fan of Oh Baby anyway so talk of a mid-set lull never sits with me, especially as they didn't pair it with Rated X anyway. Shine A Light, Electric Mainline, Born Never Asked, Walking With Jesus, Take Me To The Other Side and Take Your Time were my personal highlights of a magnificent performance.

Other stand out moments of the weekend were Kandodo(5) featuring the added guitar talents of Paul Allen and Rich from Carlton Melton, Dead Sea Apes, Lumerians, Anton Newcombe and Tess Parks (wow....she's a serious hottie but don't tell Mrs Shines :wink: ) and Carlton Melton.

It was just a really great weekend and Mrs Shines really enjoyed it too (though she has been complaining about her ears ringing for most of the day :roll: ) Looking forward to seeing Spiritualized again at the Rockaway Beach thing down at Butlins in Bognor-Regis and if they even come close to matching last nights performance I will be a very happy man.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

A great weekend. A bit messy and unstructured, (me, not the festival) but lots of fun. I missed a few bands I would have liked to have seen but enjoyed quite a lot. Flowers of Hell were good as were Roy and the Devils Mortocycle, but did anyone else think the Furnace was too quiet on Saturday?

It was nice to briefly say hello to Olan, Mr and Mrs Shines and Aquarian Time - sorry I didn't see you again. Most odd moment of the weekend was when I realized my friend Gav who traveled down for the weekend from Edinburgh - and I hadn't seen in 15 years - was also an old school friend of Aquarian Time! Seven degrees of separation of something.

Spiritualized were really very good. Everything is sounding incredibly phasey at the moment so they sounded more spacey than rocky, if you know what mean. I've been a bit tired of Electric Mainline over the years, but it was the best I'd ever heard it. Even Oh baby was good, pleased they avoided rated x as the set still kept up the tempo.

Great to see Kid Millions back in the mix and while - for me - they didn't quite hit the heights of Holmeforth a couple of years ago, I think they sounded great and seemed to be pushing it out as much as possible for the psych fest.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep, Clewsr how mad was that, great to put name to a face properly there as well.
That was a wonderful weekend, one of the best for me, the company, the atmosphere, the food, drink, bands, everything, just wonderful, still grinning now to be honest. The Heads/Spiritualized debate raged for two days solid. I was Heads all the way and then just couldnt do it for the same reasons stated above. It was a great set and Im sure glad I made that call.
Having heard some of Olans bootlegs on his streamer I think me, my external hard drive and a bottle of wine or two need to get back up to his place asap :wink:
The set up this year was far superior on site, more room, only really busy for Spiritualized I thought, easy to get round, no endless queuing.
And somehow i managed to sneak out to watch Carlton Melton at Tiger lounge in Manchester for another blistering performance last night.
Mercury Rev at Brudenell in Leeds next up for me
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Yep, Clewsr how mad was that, great to put name to a face properly there as well.
That was a wonderful weekend, one of the best for me, the company, the atmosphere, the food, drink, bands, everything, just wonderful, still grinning now to be honest.
likewise
Aquarian-Time wrote: And somehow i managed to sneak out to watch Carlton Melton at Tiger lounge in Manchester for another blistering performance last night.
Mercury Rev at Brudenell in Leeds next up for me
Now that I'm impressed by! I was pretty done in by the time it got to Sunday evening.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I just wrote a bloody big post on this weekend, pressed preview an was logged out an lost it all :evil: Balls!! Can`t re write it just now, pretty fragile TBH, except to say it was a great weekend and I had a ball, oh and Spiritualized were exceptional :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it was another top weekend at the psych fest, the site definitely felt a little bit more open and less claustrophobic than before, food options were better, more places to chill out etc.

first day kicked off with the krauty R Seilog. was expecting more of an electronic Cluster vibe but it was more guitary and I really enjoyed it. moments even felt a little like early Mogwai to me.

Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe were excellent. Anton was adding some very good psych guitar to her tunes for added texture and colour. could do with a bit more variety but definitely some talent going on there. I can see her getting bigger?

fair to say Destruction Unit divided opinion. it was pretty relentless and our gang dropped out one by one but I stuck around! they had a top light show with the band just as sillhouettes and it was pretty full on. the albums just seem to have a bit more to them. live it lost the trippy wah wah elements of the guitar and the gothy vocals were lost too.

therefore left a little early and caught a little bit of Pinkshinyultrablast- basically your average shoegazey band, perhaps a bit chunkier sounding but nothing special. I have to say, shoegaze is one the genres where I don't think any band have successfully added anything to the original template. also caught a bit of Gala Drop who were a kind of funky groove thing- kind of meh.

that first day belonged to Carlton Melton. they just got on stage and did their thing which seemingly can never fail to hit the spot- they can rock your balls off but they are never sludgy or oppressive, they manage to get some gorgeously thick, warm guitar tones while taking it into the stratosphere.

the second day's music began with The Flowers of Hell. started with a nice overture of The Sunrise Retreat which I really enjoyed as it's possibly my favourite piece of theirs. there was also some new material played where they are adding some operatic vocals which I have to say, weren't to my taste. some nice orchestral swelling going on overall though- including a bit with Greg at the front almost 'conducting'!

Death & Vanilla had a broken organ to sort out, but managed to pull it out of the bag. I really like the whole kind of retro sound they were going for, but they needed a bit more oomph. I think the consensus was a proper chunky live rhythm section would do them the world of good.

Sun Araw were slightly disappointing. I really like the early Sun Araw sound where his stuff was proper dubby and trippy, often with some heavy grooves to get the head bobbing. this was more minimalist and also a bit more jazzy and all over the place. he was generating some squelchy noises while a drummer added bongos etc and some fella was on clarinet (I think?)

Kandodo were incredible- set of the weekend. the set seemed pretty much improvised with 3 long pieces that built up and exploded and just kept adding layers and escalating. it had that warmth that I mentioned earlier via Carlton Melton but with a kind of dubbiness in there and got properly epic.. this is how psych music can truly blow you away!!

Jane Weaver was better than I expected- not knowing much about her I thought she was would be your normal acidfolk kind of deal but was a full band with some good songwriting and grooves . added a good bit of variety to the day.

caught the end of Hookworms who had a fantastic lightshow and sounded tighter and more streamlined than ever.

then Spiritualized were up. I flipflopped a lot between them and The Heads, but at the end of the day they are my favourite band and I've not seen them for about 3 years. could the setlist be better? yeah. but some of the old warhorses still hit the spot and are fixtures for a reason. the set was excellent and while not reaching the upper echelons in terms of the times I've seen them, shows they are still in fine form. Kid Millions is as excellent drummer who adds some spark and really drives the songs forward. the breakdown in WWJ almost had a drum solo! couldn't take my eyes of him there.
my highlights were Electric Mainline (which had a cleaner, almost more trancey feel..), Take Your Time, and of course Take Me To The Other Side which sounded utterly mesmerising when the strobes got going. some other songs came off a bit weak but overall a great set.
clewsr wrote: Spiritualized were really very good. Everything is sounding incredibly phasey at the moment so they sounded more spacey than rocky
totally agree with this! they perhaps weren't as rocky as they've been but Jason seemed to be stepping on the tremolo pedal quite a lot. TMTTOS sounded the closest to the Spacemen 3 version as I've ever heard it.

I also agree that the sound in the Furnace was perhaps a bit quiet. this seemed to affect Flowers of Hell and Death and Vanilla in particular. the better, louder PA seems to be in the Camp according to my ears.
whereas when they really drive the PA in the Furnace it can't really handle it. this definitely affected Goat last year and I think may have scuppered Destruction Unit a bit too- their sound seems to be based on really cranking it up, but it turned into a big mush.

good to see the usual gang again too- always good to hang out with laidback people who are on the same page musically (AKA nerds). Olan was a great host as ever and the full english provided really hit the spot!
same time next year? :)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

clewsr wrote: Great to see Kid Millions back in the mix and while - for me - they didn't quite hit the heights of Holmeforth a couple of years ago, I think they sounded great and seemed to be pushing it out as much as possible for the psych fest.
Drummer was Jonny '8Track' Aitken. Kid's no longer playing with Spz.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

simonkeeping wrote:
clewsr wrote: Great to see Kid Millions back in the mix and while - for me - they didn't quite hit the heights of Holmeforth a couple of years ago, I think they sounded great and seemed to be pushing it out as much as possible for the psych fest.

They must be twins. The style is almost exact.
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

simonkeeping wrote:
OK, I'm surprised. It was Aquarian Times that told me Kid Millions was back in the frame, - I didn't think to question his authority! The drumming style certainly seemed similar to the Holmeforth show that Millions played.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

MODLAB wrote:
They must be twins. The style is almost exact.
yes - what you said Modlab!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Now then, this was mentioned to me, in that they didn't think it was Kid millions, i was convinced it was and we had been told earlier he was definately appearing on drums. looked liked him to b honest, albeit without glasses, so maybe it wasn't but by Christ he drummed like him.
Clarification needed here I think, as I'm thinking simonkeeping is probably right on the money here.
Either way the drummer was great :)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Now then, this was mentioned to me, in that they didn't think it was Kid millions, i was convinced it was and we had been told earlier he was definately appearing on drums. looked liked him to b honest, albeit without glasses, so maybe it wasn't but by Christ he drummed like him.
Clarification needed here I think, as I'm thinking simonkeeping is probably right on the money here.
Either way the drummer was great :)

Mr. Keeping is absolutely correct. I went to his faceook page.

Hats off sir!

:)
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:Sun Araw were slightly disappointing. I really like the early Sun Araw sound where his stuff was proper dubby and trippy, often with some heavy grooves to get the head bobbing. this was more minimalist and also a bit more jazzy and all over the place. he was generating some squelchy noises while a drummer added bongos etc and some fella was on clarinet (I think?)
That dude plays a bamboo sax. Saw them live last weekend in London and chatted with him afterwards. Really enjoyed them but were better a couple of years back at the Corsica Studios. Love their crazy unhinged sound, always like it's on the verge of collapse but just seems to find new avenues and connections and rhythms (in my head anyway). That bamboo sax is a crazy sound!
Giggsy
New user

Post by Giggsy »

Hiya,

as you will all guess by my post count, i don't post that that often and I had to reset my password to log back in.

it was great to meet a load of you from this site at the weekend, nice banter and nice people with a good taste in music. unlike most I wasn't in the heads / spiritualized debate. i've only recently discovered the heads so it was always spiritualized for me though it wasn't until they started that I realised that it would have been at least 13 years since I had last saw them live after a period of 6 years when I saw them almost twice a year.....

they were my highlight of the weekend, as soon as they started I was taken back to that period when every live show by Jason was an event for me. the latter part of the gig was just superb, struggled to sleep as every time I shut my eyes I just saw strobes and had a nice buzzing in my ears.

Honourable mentions go to Hey Colossus for a storming and energetic set on the District Stage and Blanck Mass for making a danceable racket on Friday night. Disappointed that Hookworms set was cut short as it was heading to be a classic set.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Heads set in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHbGJm97DK8 :D 8)

Punishing.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hmmm..To be honest I like a little sweetness to my drone...I think the Heads might have been too much of a bitter pill to swallow for me. Call me a lightweight!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

First off I would just like to make it be known that in the great Heads/Spiritualized debate there was no contest for me, The Heads all the way and I remained unswerving in my conviction :D

Now that's out of the way the weekend itself was most enjoyable. All the gang from here were their entertaining selves, Olan's hospitality was top notch with great food and a comfy bed. Jackie and the kids deserve praise for putting up with us all as well.
Had some good chats with randomers over the weekend too.
Agree with what's been said before about the festival being more spacious and having more food options, plus the toilet situation was sorted out by adding some urinals and opening up the indoor toilets.

Highlights for Friday were Evil Blizzard who were heavy and a tad deranged in a funny way.
Destruction Unit: pounding, full on sonic assault but the sound was shit. I also spoke to one of the band afterwards and told him they should come to Dublin, his response was that he'd heard "they didn't like noise in Dublin and that it was banned" :shock:
Throw Down Bones: fans of Follakzoid would like these I think, nice kraut groove.
Carlton Melton: Didn't disappoint, don't know how I missed the guitarist falling into the drumkit though!

Saturday started with Roy and the Devil's Motorcycle who were ok not quite as good as I hoped. Ditto Flowers of Hell and Death and Vanilla.
AquarianTime then made the great call of going to see XAM (One of the guys from Hookworms doing an electronic drone/kosmiche set) I thought it was great and it was my highlight of Saturday until;
Kandodo 5: Bloody hell, utterly magnificent and I didn't recognise anything they played. Didn't need to. They just transported me. All four members of The Heads plus Carlton Melton's guitarist. Surely that says it all.
Also caught Lumerians who were good and The Cult of Dom Keller who were a bit derivative but enjoyable enough.

Then it was the big one, The Heads 8) :shock: :D This was my third time to see them and, for me, their best. They are quite simply the best band on the planet. I laughed out loud a number of times during them and Kandodo 5 with the sheer bloody joy of it all. It amazes me how a band that hardly ever plays can be so on point when they do.

Allow me to put my Smug Hat on at this point :wink: : I then queued for five minutes to get in to see Spiritualized and found my spot just before Born Never Asked :D (removes Smug Hat).
They were very good, certainly one of their best shows of recent years. For the first time ever I actually enjoyed their version of TMTTOS as they ditched the rock and upped the drone. Other highlights were Electric Mainline, WWJ and Take Your Time.

All in all a great weekend and hopefully we can all do it again next year.

Edit: Opened up my Triple Blue Vinyl PZYK comp when I got home to discover that it was all Black. AAAARRGH!!!!! :evil: Email sent to Piccadilly this morning. I hope they won't be arses about sending me a replacement.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I took Aquarian Time's word that it was Kid Millions too.. how can we trust him as 'font of all knowledge' now?? :)
whoever it was, the drumming was great.

Sunray- your Smug Hat is well deserved as you definitely caught all the best bits of the set. I was just not prepared to take that risk though! and I'd seen The Heads earlier this year.

johnnyboy wrote:That dude plays a bamboo sax. Saw them live last weekend in London and chatted with him afterwards. Really enjoyed them but were better a couple of years back at the Corsica Studios. Love their crazy unhinged sound, always like it's on the verge of collapse but just seems to find new avenues and connections and rhythms (in my head anyway). That bamboo sax is a crazy sound!
ah cool nice one! I really like the whole Sun Araw aesthetic and what he's going for (the stage set up was strange, pretty much in darkness except a neon 'Keys Cut' sign!) but the set didn't do that much for me. there were definitely moments where it clicked a bit more. would catch him again.

I guess now the speculation can begin as to who might play next year?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm wondering which other ex spacemen 3 members the psych fest can involve next year?! I didn't realise, but they had a warm up evening in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, and Pete Bain was there playing songs!

I would like an evening - or a whole weekend for that matter - curated by Will Carruthers.

I know Mark Refoy was in attendance this weekend, I'd very much enjoy the chance to see Slipstream play there.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

here's some video footage I took of Carlton Melton at the fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4H5tC787NU

if you look on my youtube channel I took some of Destruction Unit too, if you think you can handle it :)

Pete Bain played the festival itself last year. and Sonic was there two years ago but unfortunately not actually playing.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I will take the flack for the Kid Millions information making its way around the gang at the fest, but this was on work from Mark Modlab earlier in the day... Enjoyed the set a LOT though, certainly more than the last show and it was really great to get to catch up with the guys after the show. Nice to see stella back on bass, lovely chap and he plays great. Guess he is busy now Starsailor are back touring too.

With my first day illness and DJ sets the second night, I didn't actually see that many bands but I had a bloody great time seeing everyone! Just about managed to run the Carlton Melton show without issue in Manchester on Sunday night too, and then also went to see them last night in Todmorden. Amazing shows and brilliant guys, so much fun and got some free merch for my troubles...

Night off tonight. I NEED IT.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

James T wrote:I will take the flack for the Kid Millions information making its way around the gang at the fest, but this was on work from Mark Modlab earlier in the day... Enjoyed the set a LOT though, certainly more than the last show and it was really great to get to catch up with the guys after the show. Nice to see stella back on bass, lovely chap and he plays great. Guess he is busy now Starsailor are back touring too.

With my first day illness and DJ sets the second night, I didn't actually see that many bands but I had a bloody great time seeing everyone! Just about managed to run the Carlton Melton show without issue in Manchester on Sunday night too, and then also went to see them last night in Todmorden. Amazing shows and brilliant guys, so much fun and got some free merch for my troubles...

Night off tonight. I NEED IT.

Yeah! Sorry about that. But thanks to Mr. Keeping all has been resolved. But he does look like his drumming twin.

:?

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full Carlton Melton set here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ucb1TUJFUo
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Early birds for 2016 are on sale, £50. Well, £55 really when those fucking fees get added :evil:

Already have my Christmas present orders in so guess i'll have to wait for my birthday in February to start making demands!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wonder when the first lineup announcement will be for 2016? Spz were announced around this time last year.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got tickets for Mrs Shines and I already taking a chance that there is going to be at least one or two acts on the line-up that are going to be up my street :wink: Hope to see all the usual suspects there :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone