Roky Erickson

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

johnnyboy
Known user

Roky Erickson

Post by johnnyboy »

Anyone going to this http://www.atpfestival.com/newsview/1602111510 ?

Can't decide if it's a must, or an avoid. I'm a huge Elevators fan but fear ot could be a bad idea. Anyone seen him play Elevators songs the last few years? £30 is a pricey one, especially when you don't know how Roky will be.
plastic37
Known user

Re: Roky Erickson

Post by plastic37 »

How to loose friends ...
Speak yr mind about Roky.

So, been nice knowing you. Tatty bye.

I saw a set at Austin Psych Fest 2013. On the tape you can hear me whoop when he comes on. The most eagerly anticipated set of my gig going career. I was ecstatic during the opening of Cold Night ...

By the end i was feeling odd.
Later reflection and knowledge made me hope/pray he is never dragged on stage again. Least not in that environment.
It was horrible.
I can't go into the full details.
A VOID.
a 77th minute er.
Heavy Tourism
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Wow. That's what I fear it'd be like.
If it's any worse than what I've seen of Brian Wilson when he plays old Beach Boys classic then I'll be steering clear.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

My sister went tonight and said Roky himself put in a great performance and seemed well and voice was great, however, she said the new band made everything sound like shitty stadium rock after reworking these incredible songs. "The most disappointing of my gig-going life".

Still, my buddy got Roky's handwritten setlist for me and also got him to sign it. Nice souvenir for me without having to be disappointed by a show. I wish I could see him solo.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Further update from sister Travis: "It was proper awesome seeing him but the songs didn't sound right. And the bass player had the body shape of the bass player from the foo fighters. And the guitarist had the body shape of Rick Parfitt. And that's kinda what it sounded like."
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I just read a great interview with Tommy Hall which gives quite a bit of insight into the Elevators. His vision isn't that much different these days. Loved the final question and response!

Here:
http://larecord.com/archive/2015/05/08/ ... -ty-segall