Back to the Barbican for another L&G reboot!

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Greeny
Known user

Back to the Barbican for another L&G reboot!

Post by Greeny »

Not being cynical or anything, but perhaps J needs another quick cash injection:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... g0NTMyOAS2

Tickets on sale today(!) if you're a Barbican member. Robust pricing to say the least...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Back to the Barbican for another L&G reboot!

Post by MODLAB »

Was just going to post this. The Barbican is such a great venue... Decisions decisions.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, think I'll give this a pass.. been there, done that, literally got the T shirt. give us something new Jase.

I thought he said he would never do this again? could at least do a different album. Imagine Lazer Guided or Pure Phase..
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'm going to have to agree with you Sigh's. He probably needs it to finish the new album (hopefully).

M
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Heh - when I saw the email title "Spiritualized perform the album which changed British guitar music" in my inbox, my immediate thought was Oh my God they're going to play Pure Phase!!!

No such luck...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MODLAB wrote:I'm going to have to agree with you Sigh's. He probably needs it to finish the new album (hopefully).

M
yeah, mean, not saying I'm not tempted.. but nah. a Monday night too.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good to see some activity at least, but yes this would be a pricey road trip. If it were LGM of course be all over it.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Bugger! No chance of going to this. :cry:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Sure hope so. Planning to. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

M'eh....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:M'eh....
couldn't have put it better myself :D

but if it pays for the next album, and those that missed out last time can go.. each to their own I guess
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: but if it pays for the next album, and those that missed out last time can go.. each to their own I guess
I flew all the way from Melbourne for the first two shows at the RFH (they coincided with work - honest :oops: ). I saw it all again in Sydney with an Australian member of this board whose ID escapes me the following year. I simply cannot raise the enthusiasm to shell out the money to travel to and stay in London to see the show for the third time, hence the m'eh. On the bright side, at least they won't do the dreaded Oh Baby mid-show slowdown at the Barbican.... :lol:

I'm fine with it paying the (recording) bills though and hope everyone has a really good time. I think I will choose to look forward to attending as many of the upcoming shows with a more varied setlist that promote the new LP next year.

I went to the first night of the RFH LAGWAFIS shows straight off the plane from Oz. I was knackered and miserable after a shitty flight. I remember being totally cheered up by my mate Joe giving away a spare ticket to a bloke who was negotiating with a tout which caused the tout to do his nut. IIRC one of those pond scum came on here to complain about how he had lost money on those shows. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

As much as I'd love to go, London is a long way away, it's a lot of money at a difficult time financially and personally, and it'd be hard to top the Sage LAGWAFIS show. Still, I certainly don't grudge him the chance to make some cash (presumably for the new album) and I hope the shows go down a treat.

Aside: I'd have moved hell or high water to attend if it were an LGM or PP concert, and I expect most hardcore fans would agree. Sadly, I expect that guaranteed hardcore fanbase is much smaller than the more "mainstream" attraction of another LAGWAFIS show, and thus less financially viable...
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Nil enthusiasm for this here either.
It's actually an odd feeling - getting old i guess.
I agree that Pure Phase or LGM would have been a better idea.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I can see the criticisms of this. It does shout loudly of cash in and I would prefer a normal spiritualized set with new songs, but I think I'm going to try to get some tickets.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Just went to buy some tickets and it's pretty much sold out already. Can't really be arsed paying £40 to sit right at the back so that's kind of made the decision for me. Fairly sure he'll add another night if this sells out as the main hall is currently free the night after too.

Like many I had mixed feelings about this, it would have been good to go but they would never topped the show they played last time at the Barbican. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen and it was at the end of a tour so they were really tight. I think J himself said it was the best show. I guess the fact that I don't feel like I'm missing out by not going to the show says it all really.

edit: tickets still left in the circle at £60 each. Ouch.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

It is pretty much sold out now. You might be right about the extra date.

I've got some tickets for possibly the most expensive spz show ever?!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Not for me either. Did the RFH 1st night and then the Manchester Apollo show. That will do for me (quite expensive as well these shows....says the man who has just shelled out 75 quid for a Kraftwerk ticket !!)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

My flatmate managed to get us tickets. Lucky for me... getting up isn't one of my strengths. :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

2nd night is one sale now. And yep, got tickets for that too.

I spend my money on all sorts of ludicrous things. Spending it on Jason instead feels really fucking good. Can't wait to hear the new record. Recording and mixing properly is outrageously expensive, I hope it's going well.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

slightly miffed I didn't wait to get better seats for the Tuesday!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I broke down and bought for Tuesday. Front row in the circle.

Why do I do this to myself.

M
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Yup - once there were good seats online for night two me and my mate weakened. Snagged a nice pair dead centre of the stalls...
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

We're down in the stalls too. Row B. 8) First night was harder to get down the front. Ended up in J, which is a little bit funny. :lol:
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ha!

I told you it was a drug! ;)
Design.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Like everyone else on here, I would have loved to see some of the other albums too, but a promoter is going to want to sell as many tickets as possible... it's just the way it is. I could listen to 'Ladies and Gents' every night and still enjoy it. It is a masterpiece and a seminal record. So yeah, even though Pure Phase is one of my favourite records ever I still feel lucky to see Ladies and Gents again.

Was it Doggen's birthday yesterday? I think it might have been, but I am the most unreliable source I know. :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

MODLAB wrote:Ha!

I told you it was a drug! ;)
:D

I know you're joking, but drone based music is actually a drug of sorts. Drones induce similar brain waves to some drugs or euphoria type experiences. That's probably why they're used in religious chanting and different types of meditation.
Again, I'm the most unreliable source I know so don't take my word for it. There's actual research about this.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

sunny wrote:

I know you're joking, but drone based music is actually a drug of sorts. Drones induce similar brain waves to some drugs or euphoria type experiences. That's probably why they're used in religious chanting and different types of meditation.
Again, I'm the most unreliable source I know so don't take my word for it. There's actual research about this.

It is! Your body can create more certain chemicals when in a trans like state. Very interesting stuff.

:)

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

:)
Attachments
tumblr_mrgdulmR9Z1rlc6o7o1_500.gif
tumblr_mrgdulmR9Z1rlc6o7o1_500.gif (820.66 KiB) Viewed 27420 times
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Tickets still available for the front stalls but the price means I can't go. £120 for two seats is alot of cash.
Feels very weird not going to a Spiritualized show in London.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Tickets still available for the front stalls but the price means I can't go. £120 for two seats is alot of cash.
Feels very weird not going to a Spiritualized show in London.

Yes it is steep.I don't have anyone depending on me, so it's easier for me to be a bit irresponsible. Most likely there will be a normal tour with normal ticket prices once the next record is out.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:
Aside: I'd have moved hell or high water to attend if it were an LGM or PP concert, and I expect most hardcore fans would agree. Sadly, I expect that guaranteed hardcore fanbase is much smaller than the more "mainstream" attraction of another LAGWAFIS show, and thus less financially viable...
I'm sure that's one factor.. another one is probably the fact that the arrangements and parts have already been worked out for previous shows.. less effort :)
I'm sure a Lazer Guided night would still sell out. But probably not as quick.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

First night sold out. Second night up for sale so: M'eh x 2

On a happier note I am in possession of Kraftwerk tickets for Liverpool and Dublin. Dublin could be really messy if I'm back on the beer by then.... :roll:
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Got two tickets for the Monday night. £60 each seemed like a bargain after what RAH were charging for decent seats at Kraftwerk (which like may others I failed to purchase).
Saw Krafwerk in Amsterdam last year and Oslo this year. Both gigs were brilliant. Am slightly put off going to their UK gigs as it will be exactly the same show and I'll probably have to put up with a load of pissed-up English voices declaring how they've always been big fans of the band even though the only song that they know is The Model(what a snob I am!).
At least at the Barbican gig I can be pretty sure most seats will be taken by hardcore Spiritualized fans rather than part-time punks.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

an interesting journey- meh been there done that, cash in, how dare he? play an album that fewer people would pay to see! got front row tickets!

glad i could be part of your journeys!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:an interesting journey- meh been there done that, cash in, how dare he? play an album that fewer people would pay to see! got front row tickets!

glad i could be part of your journeys!
Technically yes. But what's the capacity of 2 nights at the Barbican? Are u telling me he couldn't sell out two nights of it for LGM, PP or LiCD? Oh ye of little faith. They're a big cult band, people would travel all over for those albums like they initially did for lagwfis.

I need a spz gig bad.
It's like for a while there I had so much & now it's nothing for so long I'm losing parts of myself & need that energy infusion or I'm just gonna be an empty vessel before long.. at least I have (some) memories.
Fuck it was good for a while there. AG & Songs they seemed to tour a lot. Even when j was sick after it came acoustic mainlines. That was such a great time. Time to create some more moments please hurry j! We're dying while we wait!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jack white wrote: Technically yes. But what's the capacity of 2 nights at the Barbican? Are u telling me he couldn't sell out two nights of it for LGM, PP or LiCD? Oh ye of little faith. They're a big cult band, people would travel all over for those albums like they initially did for lagwfis.

I need a spz gig bad.
It's like for a while there I had so much & now it's nothing for so long I'm losing parts of myself & need that energy infusion or I'm just gonna be an empty vessel before long.. at least I have (some) memories.
Fuck it was good for a while there. AG & Songs they seemed to tour a lot. Even when j was sick after it came acoustic mainlines. That was such a great time. Time to create some more moments please hurry j! We're dying while we wait!
I saw one LAGWAFIS live show. It was nice, but whilst the sound was impressive, the experience was not so much. By far and away the highlight was the amazing encore playing Out of Sight, but I guess I'm a bit biased as I prefer LICD of the two albums.

Now if Jason decided to play LICD in full, I'd be thrilled. The one disappointing thing about that album was how few of the songs were played live on the subsequent tour.

I can't imagine putting on a gig playing Pure Phase from start to finish, especially with this type of ensemble - live electric band plus small string and brass section, percussion and choir. So much of the magic in that record comes from the studio trickery, especially the relationships between both channels as the timing and phase interactions change the imaging of certain instruments across the stereo field.

Although there have been some songs adapted live that sound great - for example 200 Bars - I don't think any song on the Pure Phase album has sounded better in any other form, whether a different mix or recording, or a live rendition. I think a live version of the whole album would be weird, and rather contrived. I may be wrong, but wouldn't like to take the risk!

I agree that the period from Acoustic Mainlines through the A&E tours was a golden period of live music. It's interesting looking back at some of the tickets I've saved over the years. The 2008 Koko gig was only £17.50, whilst the Acadamy gigs from the second leg of that tour were £16. By contrast the LAGWAFIS gig at the Sage was £32.50, the RAH gig not much more, then they charged the same price for just the electric band at the Sage again, for the SHSL tour!

Personally whilst the last RAH gig was amazing, I was less impressed by the subsequent electric gigs. By contrast the A&E tour started great and just got better and better. Doggen's amazing psychedelic bluesy soloing on You Lie You Cheat made it such a great set opener. The girls singing made Lay Back in the Sun sound perfect. All the A&E songs sounded better live, though I think part of the problem was having heard so many via the Acoustic Mainlines tours, which produced so many great recordings, hence those versions became very familiar well before the album was released.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I'm a little jealous, wish I was going to this. Hope everyone who got tickets has fun.

I'm very geekily curious to see what the encore will be.

Enjoy!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Still a few tickets left for both evenings.
Design.
know_the_ledge
New user

Post by know_the_ledge »

Anyone happen to know what merch will be available?

Bought one of the black album posters at the Royal Festival Hall gig back in '09 and I'm desperate for a white and blue album poster to complete.

Ta.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Who will be going tomorrow? Anyone like to meet for a drink before hand?

M
Design.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

heisenberg wrote:I'm a little jealous, wish I was going to this. Hope everyone who got tickets has fun.

I'm very geekily curious to see what the encore will be.

Enjoy!
me too!
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Oh Happy Day , come on 2moro !
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Good review just appeared on the Telegraph website. Contains a spoiler to the last song of the show...

Surely someone off here went last night??
know_the_ledge
New user

Post by know_the_ledge »

Went last night and it was fantastic as expected. Probably not as good as Royal Festival Hall in '09 but I was more overwhelmed but what I was witnessing then.

Worth going to see the last song also as it' s the first time I've see it live.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Couple of people told me that it was really good. Also, it should be known that it is the original line-up including Kevin Bales etc.

Looking forward to it more now.

M
Design.
Wensbree
New user

Post by Wensbree »

Well it was great, the experience envelopes you, wish I could go again tonight. I really like the Barbican too. Was there a mic problem in Think I'm in Love? Anyone know who was in the band lineup? I could tell KB on drums but was a bit far away to id the others except Doggen. Should have gone to specsavers!
I love how quiet the audience can be at Spz gigs; the first time I saw them, at Wolverhampton civic they came on stage and no one applauded or cheered, just silence, I've never been to a concert where that's happened for the main band.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Greeny wrote:Good review just appeared on the Telegraph website. Contains a spoiler to the last song of the show..
Yeah, I agree about the spoiler :roll:

Am glad to hear folks enjoyed it. I was surprised how much the Telegraph enjoyed it. I read that paper quite regularly, and whilst I rarely agree with their editorials, it's still got plenty of good writing in it. However their arts coverage is not usually in line with the other broadsheets, even the slimmed down online-only Independant. But whilst rather short, it was a good review actually written by someone who knows their material, which was nice.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Stay With Me. Wow. Worth the money by itself. Un-fuckin-believable...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Out of Sight !
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

What's the spoiler?
It's the same encore that it's been with all of the LAGWAFIS shows.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

good dope/good fun wrote:What's the spoiler?
Indeed, but I mentioned it for the benefit of anyone going last night who hadn't been before and wanted to leave the encore songs to be a surprise on the night.

That said, it was different to the last time I saw them do the LAGWAFIS show at the Barbican because that finished with Silent Night!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I went on Monday and I really enjoyed it. Great show, great sound. The songs sound better in that live setting than they do on the album.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

good dope/good fun wrote:What's the spoiler?
...and it was "Out of Sight" at the first LAGWAFIS at the RFH.

Apologies for the pedantry. I'll get my coat.
Best dressed chicken
New user

Post by Best dressed chicken »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

if it was Spread Your Wings or The Slide Song, now that would be news..
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm guessing J already had the orchestral/choir arrangements for Out of Sight/Oh Happy Day to hand and didn't have time/inclination to produce new ones for other songs.

With time to reflect, I'd say it felt a different performance to the last set of shows, a bit more swampy and enveloping sound-wise. The bass was very prominent in the mix and at times the choir were almost overpowering (though not necessarily in a bad way). Coxon and Doggen were quite far down the mix, maybe a tiny bit too much so I felt. They worked really hard and were great to watch!

Overall, it was a show that built slowly, but build it did. Cop Shoot Cop was possibly my favourite rendition to date and, as mentioned before, Stay With Me was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Really good light show as well, easily the best I've seen for a Spz show of this type.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I must admit I was hoping for Spread Your Wings as an encore as didn't that get played at the L.A. show for LAGWAFIS? Anyway, it didn't detract from a great show. Totally agree about the choir, I thought they sounded incredible and it was nice to see them get the ovation they deserved when they left the stage. I Think I'm In Love and Home Of The Brave especially stood out and if anyone doubted J's commitment to performing these shows again, the impassioned ending of Stay With Me would have put paid to that! I think we all know the real reason for doing these shows but I'm glad I went and got to experience another Spiritualized gig. Hopefully won't have to wait as long for the next one.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Last night was amazing and better than the shows of past. Seeing that line-up is just jaw dropping. Kevin makes the drums seem so effortless, John, well what can I say... he is a master of making sounds that should not happen. Tom only played keys and played a wonderful ode to Dr. John.

The setting, the venue, the lights and the atmosphere were perfect. Everyone was into it and seemed to be hypnotised by the melodic undertones and a Jason that was well into it. I wish those that were not interested in this gig would have seen it.

As we know the next album might be last, but this album to this day holds up better than the other 99%. It is a pure classic and works so well in the way it is presented. I truly hope that J. will do it again on the 25th, 30th and so on.

Anyway, it gave me peace for 70min and thats all I could ask for with the way this world is turning.

X,

M
Design.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

:D

2 amazing nights!!!!

It's been an emotional rollercoaster. Spiritualized heaven and the bloody Trump hell.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Spiby wrote: ...and it was "Out of Sight" at the first LAGWAFIS at the RFH.

Apologies for the pedantry. I'll get my coat.
Pedantry is often just synonym for accuracy, no need to apologise.

I'm pretty sure most of the 2011 shows got Out of Sight as the encore. I'm sure I was expecting it, and for me it was the highlight of the gig. Not to detract from the excellent performances all round, in playing the album in full live - but that part of the gig whilst sounding great, never really excited me. Out of Sight however really blew the roof off, and was by far the best bit of the whole gig.

Oh Happy Day by contrast would not excite me, Jason's played it plenty already and I don't need to hear it again. If he really wanted another uplifting hymn type number - I'd love to hear him cover Amazing Grace. Hearing that shake the ground was always a highlight of Edinburgh Tattoos, and I think Jason could adapt the massed bagpipe drone with the usual production talents he's shown when getting unearthly noises from conventional musical ensembles.
Dave Chappelle
perfectrx
Known user

Post by perfectrx »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=576625

Artist: Spiritualized
Date: 2016-11-07
Venue: Barbican, London, UK
----------------------------------------------------------------
Source Info:
Matched DPA4060s
> Core Sound HEB BBox (flat)
> Edirol R-09HR
> FLAC
Running time: 109'
ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
come together
i think i'm in love
all of my thoughts
stay with me
electricity
home of the brave -> the individual
broken heart
no god only religion
cool waves
cop shoot cop...
out of sight
oh happy day
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow - any way this can be uploaded beyond dimeadozen?
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'm waiting for Tuesday evening.

Hopefully get it by the end of the week.

M
Design.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

What happened in that I Think I'm In Love?
Ooof.

I can say that I've listened to almost all Spiritualized® recordings I have gotten my ears on.
Only one other I recall that there is a major fuck up during a song.
Jason always comes off as very polished and professional when it comes to music.

Not saying that fuck ups don't happen.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Thank you, perfectrx.
Would love to hear this!
Really could use a good dose of what I hear was a phenomenal "Stay With Me..."
Hopefully it can be shared via another way than dime a dozen, which I'm unable to use.
Thank you!