Ticket stub challenge

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Ticket stub challenge

Post by runcible »

A friend of mine - and a regular poster here - started putting pics of all his ticket stubs on Facebook recently. An inspired idea I thought! I actually found it quite nostalgic as I discovered I was at quite a few of the same shows. Being the sad old muso I am I keep my ticket stubs in old photo albums - just finished volume 7 at the end of last year. So I got thinking about everyone else. I bet lots of people here still have their old stubs - I have almost every one from every gig I attended. A visual diary of all the live music I have seen and heard.

The challenge is this - post an image of the ticket from the first ever gig you went to, or even just the oldest stub you have.

Here's mine - the first proper gig I ever went to - from when I was a mere teenager...
Devo 1978.jpg
Devo 1978.jpg (81.51 KiB) Viewed 10524 times
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Ticket stub challenge

Post by spzretent »

Cant find first gig stub.
It was Deep Purple wsg ZZ Top June 1973 Cobo Arena Detroit.
However, here is second gig.
Led Zeppelin Cobo Arena Detroit July 12, 1973
Attachments
008.JPG
008.JPG (52.37 KiB) Viewed 10510 times
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I keep all mine (with setlists all typed up in folders etc_ Bit sad but quite superb when looking back on 600 plus gigs since 92
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:I keep my ticket stubs in old photo albums
Me too, although i'm only nearing the end of my first (i get 3 or 4 per page though!). My brother created a collage of tickets and had them framed and hung on his wall. Looks great actually. I'll need to see if i can find a pic of his.

I was thinking about this recently, especially after the amount of gigs i went to last year, that i'm getting less and less physical tickets due to e-tickets and pay-at-the-door shows, which is a real shame (no other option in many cases). They are a nice little momento of a night and should be treasured just like your memories.

I'll see if i can find my first ever show stub...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

I keep all my tickets, and have done since my first live gig at The Empire Pool Wembley on the 28th of March 1972 } T.Rex.have just started transferring my stubs to "just the ticket " ticket stub organiser. Difficult nowadays with e-tickets, but I still try to get copies of my e-ticket gigs.
Tried posting picture of my first gig ticket, but not having it .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also keep my tickets, festival programmes, wristbands, etc in a little box. no setlists, that is damn nerdy but actually not a bad idea. it's amazing how you can forget what songs a band actually played.

as people have said above, e tickets are fucking all this up, obviously.. nothing nostalgic about a print out of an email.

here's mine, it's probably gonna make me seem like a (relative) whippersnapper..

don't judge, I came out of Britpop okay, and my musical tastes have expanded since then!
Johnny Marr and Happy Mondays supported. despite touring a turd of an album, Oasis were actually pretty good (Gem and Andy added a new musicality I reckon), it was all very exciting for a youngster. seeing more and more Oasis fans as we got closer to the stadium.. not thinking to organise a hotel or anything, so sleeping in the train station on the way back.

I saw Oasis again later in the year at Leeds festival and they were pants. from both sets I also found out I didn't really like the cut of the jib of most Oasis fans..
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Haha I was at both Oasis shows you speak of. First one was OK but yes the Leeds one was awful. The abiding memory of Bolton show was how many villages were deprived of idiots that day !!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Good thread Mark and great to hear that you, and everyone else so far, has kept all their ticket stubs over the years. What wonderful music geeks we are!

I'll raise my hand up now and say that I am the man Mark speaks of in his post. I've tried to keep all my tickets over the years but some have been lost, mislaid, or some never involved hard copy tickets and then when e-tickets came into play I never kept them for a good while. I had them all in a big envelope and finally put them all in date order on Sunday afternoon, photographed them in small batches, then uploaded them to a photo album on Facebook. This is the link if you fancy have a nostalgic browse https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 1f7bcb345e

My earliest kept ticket is Madonna at Wembley Stadium on her Who's That Girl Tour, which I won in a competition via a long gone magazine called Sky. Not sure if I went to any other gigs before that as I was only 15 in '87. Around that 87/88 era I did go to a fair few heavy metal/ rock/ pop gigs during my school years, the likes of Iron Maiden, Wasp, Bon Jovi (yep, I know, very uncool), The Cult, INXS, Aerosmith, but never kept the stubs for some reason, then gravitated towards indie not long after.

I'm going to frame some choice tickets soon I reckon. Will look good up on a wall.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Bam ticket smaller.jpg
Bam ticket smaller.jpg (114.36 KiB) Viewed 10454 times
There's my first gig. Three callow Norfolk boys of 16 and 17 years old somehow persuaded our parents to let us travel down to London on our own for the first time to see a New York electro legend! The whole thing almost didn't take place because one of the Soul Sonic Force was arrested for murder in the run-up (something we declined to tell our folks about).

It was such an adventure... I'm not kidding when I say we were just about the only white guys in the place; we cowered in the booths at the back of the main room and sipped our £1.50 pints of Fosters nervously. That price has stuck in my mind because a pint at home was still only just a quid at the time!

We somehow made it back to Liverpool Street for the last train home despite initially going the wrong way round the Circle Line (until put right by a kindly passenger) and that was it; I was hooked on live music for evermore.

Three years later I had moved to London, the lure of the live scene being the primary driver.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

We in the US don't get cool tickets like you guys did in the UK.
This is my favorite concert artifact ever.
Rolling Stones- Double Door Club Chicago Sept. 18, 1997.
Guest pass + set list from the mixing desk. 375 people total.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (95.9 KiB) Viewed 10414 times
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Wowsers - what a set that must have been by the Stones! Some real rarities in terms of modern day performances.

What was the occasion for such an intimate gig?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They always do an unannounced club gig before they open a tour. This was always my holy grail show in my dreams.
They happened to open the 1997 tour in Chicago. I was living there at the time.
We got word and "a friend of a friend" blah blah blah connection actually paid off. We got passes from Bernard Fowler who is one of the back up singers.
It was surreal. The club stopped the capacity at approximately 375 so it wasn't so packed you couldn't breath.
They left Sister Morphine out of the set sadly.
Here is one I had never seen them play.

This gives you an idea of just how cool it was. No matter what the troll comments say. Like a garage version of The Last Time.

I'd love to hear others stories of their big bands in small places or before they made it big shows.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Haha I was at both Oasis shows you speak of. First one was OK but yes the Leeds one was awful. The abiding memory of Bolton show was how many villages were deprived of idiots that day !!
seems we have been to quite a lot of the same gigs Dave!

yeah Oasis were pretty good that first time. I remember they played the B side Step Out which is pretty cool (if nicked off Stevie Wonder)
I remember finding Happy Mondays pretty good too. which was surprising as they had a reputation for being really bad live. but I guess I didn't really have much to compare it to at the time.

really liking this thread.. even if it's making me think I was born at the wrong time :)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

first proper gig i went to
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club/The Cooper Temple Clause/Kasabian : London Brixton Academy

...stylishly understated...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club/The Cooper Temple Clause/Kasabian : London Brixton Academy

Thursday January 29 – that was the last time any of NME caught more than 20 short minutes of comatose, ether-induced sleep. Our mission to bring you all the frontline madness and backstage news and gossip from this year’s Award shows has involved 192 unbelievable hours being shocked, rocked, exhilarated, moved and, frankly, disgusted by a staggering range of performances. We’ve had The White Stripes’ glorious return to Brixton Academy. We’ve watched open-mouthed as My Morning Jacket’s country-prog battled Junior Senior’s shiny Euro pop. We’ve thrilled to the magnificent HAL, laughed out loud at Ludacris’ jaw (and panty) dropping rhymes and seen The Open make a mockery of the term ‘support act’. Hell, even The Music were good.

But if there’s one band who’ve performed above and beyond the call of reason, it’s Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Seemingly unsatisfied by their string of shows in secret locations around London, the none-more-black trio turn their Brixton gig into the most stylishly understated, rockin’ headline set so far.

However, before all that, there’s all this. Kasabian open the show with their Panzer-rockin’, Stone Roses-pillaging lightning bolt of a new single ‘Reason Is Treason’, and we can’t imagine anyone bettering the innately rock ‘n roll strut-monkey moves of frontman, Tom Meighan. Unless, of course, it’s The Cooper Temple Clause. Down in the photo pit, back to the audience, bass at arms-length, Didz has no trouble reminding us why we fell in love with the Reading six-some and their caution-to-the-wind attitude. Even the Crowned Kings of Cool BRMC look momentarily shaken when they finally arrive – can drummer Nick Jago really be wearing a black athletic vest? Oh yes… Luckily a suitably-attired Robert Turner and Peter Hayes are in beautifully nonchalant form and we’re thrown deep into an icy blizzard of raging, razor-edged noise and elongated, ”Fuck your government!” rants. Then, barely pausing for breath, they’re off to Camden’s Barfly to play their eighteenth show of the day at the Queens Of Noize’s first birthday party. And us? We’re going too of course – we’ve only just started
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I only started keeping my ticket stubs after moving to Glasgow. I did collect a few setlists back in Paris and would have kept some festival wristbands etc. Back in France there was effectively a single ticket outlet with a single ticket design, I definitely envied the paper tickets of all colours from the UK! I suppose that gave me less incentive to collect tickets, plus I was on guestlists quite often too (usually competitions, but asking bands/tour managers a few times too. A few good stories there.. might start a new thread! ) so no tickets for that either. Sure I wrote a list of all gigs I'd gone to though, or rather a list of all bands I'd seen inc. at festivals.

I have been keeping my tickets since them, and yes it's disappointing the old style tickets have gone, and that venue collection usually means no ticket! I don't really bother with setlists anymore these days on the other hand.

Anyhow, the earliest ticket I still have with me is this, 4 days after my move!

(Not my first gig here mind you, I'd attended the SFA weekend event for the release of Rings Around the World several months before, but I was only visiting then! Actual first gig I most probably no longer have the ticket for was the Manics in June 96, at the Arapaho in Paris)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Not my oldest but it's one I can find.

plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

No pic but I can assure you that I still have my stub for "proper gig #1": the stranglers, wemeley arena, november 3rd, 1986. I also have the bootleg tape complete with Keith Allen s routine as Jery Arkwright (an industrial gay) immediately prior to the main act.
Heavy Tourism
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

My first real concert was a free concert at the Santa Monica Civic in 1976 by Glam metal band Angel - they weren't very good. My next concert (which I paid for) was Blue Oyster Cult who were great.

Anyhow, about 20 years ago I created a giant collage of all my ticket stubs from the mid '70's to '97 - apprx. size 40" x 30". From Pink Floyd the Wall, The Clash, Stones, Devo, Culture, The Cramps, Stevie Ray Vaughan, X, Toots and the Maytalls, Dead Kennedys, US'83, etc,, etc, etc. etc..- they're all together in one colorful piece and currently hanging on the wall of my art studio. Will take a pic and post image here soon. I immediately started collecting my stubs again for a collage pt. 2, and without looking at them all right now I probably have enough to make a pt.2 AND a pt.3...one of these days I'll find the time to get around to it! :wink:
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I have requested a couple of 500 pic photo albums for Cxxxxxxxs to put my ticket stubs in. Been meaning to do it for years.

Does anyone else make up their own tickets for gigs where they paid on the door or am I the only one?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Whilst having a clear out I've just discovered some Spacemen/Spiritualized gems in the 'archives', sadly these are the only Spacemen tickets I can find. The dates (if they are not clear are Fri 18 Mar and Fri 23 (or it might be 25) Oct - If anyone can tell me know the year(s), that would be great (my mind is tired!). The October one was £2 entry and the March gig the princely sum of £2.50

Back in the Spacemen's Blitz days in Rugby, Jason would take your money (50p) and just write '3' on the back of your hand in felt tip!