Liverpool Psych Fest

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Liverpool Psych Fest

Post by Shinesalight »

I was thinking of taking a year off of LPF but looks like the decision has been taken out of my hands anyway:-

http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/2018/ ... -in-drone/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Thought he may pull it this year. When I spoke to him just before the Festival in the summer he intimated he was running out of bands. I think a year off, you can pull in some regular acts but it also gives ample time for some new movers and shakers to crop up. I think it's a good call. We all agreed things seemed paired down a bit this year, almost as if the festival was running at a loss this year (I don't know that so merely speculation) but it certainly didn't sell as well. I think 2015 was the best year by some distance. Right then, another festival I require, preferably without camping !
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Well that is one less thing to worry about :D. We'll be having a busy year this year so the chances of being able to do the usual LPF thing were looking very remote to say the least. Things should be sorted for 2019 though 8) .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My wallet is very pleased but i'm disappointed. Understandable decision though as 2017 was definitely lacking something and I think a year off could do the festival a world of good.

I guess Rocket 20th will be my only UK excursion this year.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm a bit disappointed, the festival was always a highlight of my calendar. some lineups were better than others, but I still don't think it ever had a poor lineup.

it's true that last year I could almost feel it in my waters that either a change or a break was coming.

could this even be them letting us down gently, and next year they might knock it on the head? If I was them I'd want to go out on a high rather than running out of bands.

as others have said at least this frees up the wallet a bit, I'd be keen check out some other interesting festivals. might be more inclined to check out the Rocket Recordings thing now too. then of course there's the Drone Rock Records shindig :) plenty out there to enjoy!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sad news, but I won't mind skipping a year. Hopefully it will be back better in 2019. I enjoyed what I saw of 2017, but logistics and responsibilities meant I didn't get to see much. I think the site of Steve Davis djaying will stick in my memory the longest

As an alternative, you good people could always consider the lovely tiny Pig and Apple stock festival. Run by Rubgy band the Anteloids (and who played at last years Psych fest), and next to reservoir, it is a lovely spot with lovely people. I've been taking the family for three years now.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: could this even be them letting us down gently, and next year they might knock it on the head?
I think that's a very real possibility. Or maybe they really do just need a rest.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I will have a word with Tom as I will more than likely be at one of his Liverpool Gigs in the next month or two, he is usually good for an exclusive !
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

in terms of possible LPF replacements..

Raw Power in London is one to watch. mix of psych and some noisier stuff. the initial announcement for this year hasn't been so great though- headed up by Godflesh and Circle

I'd also recommend Sea Change, I went last year and the lineup was excellent, various venues across a small town in Devon. time will tell whether this year's lineup is as good but the setting and atmosphere was superb.

And finally I spotted this, not bad for £20 and in Liverpool funnily enough.
http://thequietus.com/articles/23904-wr ... n-spectres

what was that festival at the Victoria Warehouse in Manchester last year? that was a great lineup.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

It has been and gone now for this year, and is a long long way from Liverpool, but has anyone tried out the Lewes Psych fest? This is the town known for its quite over the top and slightly Paganish? fire festivals each bonfire night, so I can imagine a bit of pysch would go down well.

http://www.meltingvinyl.co.uk/event/lew ... ival-2018/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote:It has been and gone now for this year, and is a long long way from Liverpool, but has anyone tried out the Lewes Psych fest? This is the town known for its quite over the top and slightly Paganish? fire festivals each bonfire night, so I can imagine a bit of pysch would go down well.

I've heard good things about this fest from people that have been. smaller than LPF but still with pretty good lineups and apparently Lewes is a rather unique place

January is a weird time to have a festival though, I think?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
Can't be much worse than a Pontins in December can it? :shock:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

clewsr wrote:It has been and gone now for this year, and is a long long way from Liverpool, but has anyone tried out the Lewes Psych fest? This is the town known for its quite over the top and slightly Paganish? fire festivals each bonfire night, so I can imagine a bit of pysch would go down well.

Yeah Lewes is good fun but much, much smaller than Liverpool (about 200 people per day). I was there for the Saturday this year. Josefin Ohrn headlined but the band of the day were Soccer96 (https://soccer96.bandcamp.com). Melt Dunes also played (they're playing at the Drone Rock Showcase gig Sighs) and lights were provided by InnerStrings (who do Liverpool and who are also doing the light show for the DRR gig). Most enjoyable evening actually.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Can't be much worse than a Pontins in December can it? :shock:
that was "character building" Olan :D

I've never even heard of Soccer96, what are they like? it's a bit of a naff name for a band, I have to say.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Soccer96 are at the dancier end of the psych spectrum. Just a drummer and synth/effects guy. Drummer is fantastic and I always have a soft spot for a band with a decent drummer.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shinesalight wrote:Soccer96 are at the dancier end of the psych spectrum. Just a drummer and synth/effects guy. Drummer is fantastic and I always have a soft spot for a band with a decent drummer.
The two of them are in The Comet Is Coming according to the bandcamp blurb.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

festival lineups in the UK continue to look rather lacking this year. even Primavera over in Spain is looking uncharacteristically poor.
the only one that might tempt me is Green Man. they added some more bands this week including The Black Angels, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, and Jane Weaver
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bristol Psych Fest in July anyone? http://bristolpsychfest.com/line-up/

The Heads, Anthroprophh, Pigs x 7, Nebula, The Cosmic Dead, Wolf People, Night Beats among others.
£20 - £30 for that lot seems decent.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:57 pm Bristol Psych Fest in July anyone? http://bristolpsychfest.com/line-up/

The Heads, Anthroprophh, Pigs x 7, Nebula, The Cosmic Dead, Wolf People, Night Beats among others.
£20 - £30 for that lot seems decent.
I'm giving Bristol some serious thought. That Heads announcement certainly increased my interest. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

rather appealling to myself also! especially at that price.

I did notice it a little while ago, but didn't dream that The Heads might be the special guests!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I think there is a Manchester Psych Fest being put on around the time of the normal LPF. Not much announced yet, but Asteroid #4 are definitely over for that one (and possibly some other UK shows).
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah there are 2 Manchester Psych Fests. Astral Elevator are doing a weekend one 15/16 sept, which works well as wooden Shjips are playing Gorilla (5 mins walk away from venue) on the Sat night. Holy Wave, The Janitors among many others. I booked one of the bands for my Mind exodus nights last week, a band called Bones Shake, they were fantastic, envisage an early Black keys if you will, before they went all mainstream, all bluesy garage riffs, but with a fantastic frontman who owned the stage, great stuff.
As Laz rightly says there is also on one Sept 1st, Asteroid ~4 are playing plus Josefin Ohm and a fair few others, I tried to book Asteroid#4 but the promoter was worried it was too close to Manchester so i assume they are not staying North West for too long. No idea what other dates they have. the early bird tickets were a snip at £12.50 (got mine straight away and then they were gone) they are now £15 and then they step up in price a bit, its a multi venue thing, Band On The Wall, Soup Kitchen and I think Gullivers, all a short ish walk, so a another good day in prospect there.
Spoke to Tom who runs LPF and he said his good lady has just had a little un plus he fancied a break to get his hunger back for it, definately back next year he says
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

this looks to be one of the best psych fests this year. including Spectrum

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4151802- ... ll-line-up
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

I visited the psych lab in 2016, great venue, easy town to get around, transport links and a few decent hotels. Booked my ticket on the 1st release of artists and glad to see the added ones but dreading GNOD again after the volume that I blame for my hearing going!