Peter Brötzmann - 50th Anniversary of Machine Gun

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Jasonsmith
Known user

Peter Brötzmann - 50th Anniversary of Machine Gun

Post by Jasonsmith »

http://www.50jahremachinegun.de/

Looking forward to this, even though I just moved to Basel, I still go back to Bremen to watch footy and on this weekend for a party. Given that Spectrum just played in Basel, I've had a fair bit of luck with concerts this year. Now for the Pure Phase with full orchestra show in my back garden :lol:
davedecay
Known user

Re: Peter Brötzmann - 50th Anniversary of Machine Gun

Post by davedecay »

LP gets a vinyl reissue this Friday, May 18, 2018.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

In May 2018, for the fiftieth time, the birthday of "the most distinctive free-jazz recording from today's perspective" (F. Klopotek), which - as the emeritus Giessener Professor of Music Ekkehard Jost states - is considered the "first truly European record production of the Jazz History "must be considered. - Undoubtedly by far the most significant and world-famous jazz recording produced in Bremen.

We are talking about Peter Brötzmann's self-produced and initially self-published Free Jazz Milestone Machine Gun, with which the newcomer from Wuppertal not only "gained immortality" (F. Klopotek), but also in 1968 he "suddenly" a "larger Audience "(B. Noglik) has made far beyond the jazz scene. The machine gun was played by an octet consisting of the then "formative representatives in the field of new jazz and improvised music in Europe" (Ken Vandermark) in the so-called Paris May 1968 in the then countercultural Bremer cellar restaurant Lila Eule, which like other cellar restaurants in Sixties represented a "melting pot for unconventional styles and unconventional ideas" (D. Siegfried). In this respect, the Machine Gun also has an exposed significance in terms of social as well as musical development, not only in the West German but also in the European avant-garde and free jazz scene.

For the fiftieth anniversary of the Machine Gun in May 2018, a concert in the Lila Eule, the historical place of origin of the Machine Gun LP, honors the recording of the Peter Brötzmann Octet and an interdisciplinary and intermedial series of events in the run-up to the concert Focusing on the meaning contexts of the Machine Gun and the situation in Bremen at that time, aroused interest in musical traditions away from the mainstream and commercial usability, and suggestions for a future reflection on the social responsibility of artistic creation and their own music reception. And of course, the unique opportunity should be used to allow the Bremen public a live performance of the important musicians in a historical constellation.

Due to the historical nature of the event, the radical pioneer of European jazz and the world's most important exponent of improvised music, Wuppertal saxophonist and clarinetist has put together a trio with two other pioneers of European free jazz: the Berlin pianist, composer and free jazz bandleader ( Globe Unity Orchestra) Alexander von Schlippenbach and the Dutch drummer and multi-instrumentalist Han Bennink, who sat on drums 50 years ago when recording in the Purple Owl. Not only have all three musicians been awarded numerous prizes and honors, but their jazz musical careers date back to the earliest independent, antiepigal European jazz formations and recordings.

The event series and the concert will be organized by a network of Bremen cultural actors and cultural institutions - such as. the Focke Museum, the City 46 / Kommunalkino Bremen e.V., the Klaus Kuhnke Archive for Popular Music, the Jazz Department of the University of the Arts, the Association for the Promotion of Intermedia Cultural Exchange e.V. / Künstlerhaus Güterbahnhof and the Lila Eule
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

That is going to be amazing!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

If I was in Germany. I would go...
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Astonishing that there are still tickets available for this...

If I wasn't skint etc etc
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Greeny wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:29 pm Astonishing that there are still tickets available for this...

If I wasn't skint etc etc
same here. if i could afford the trip i'd be all over this..
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'll post a review Monday. There was a similar event in Saarbrücken in March... http://www.freejazzsaar.de/pages/programm/details.php
I appear fleetingly as a member of the audience at the Hamburg gig featured in the documentary film :D
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I found this the other day
https://www.echoesanddust.com/2016/10/b ... brotzmann/

I'll get to see Black Bombaim at Primvera NOS in June, looking forward to it...
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Venue was very small, packed, hot, and stuffy. I think this was the first time I'd seen PB in a trio, and a lot of the pieces were driven by the piano, meaning that the usual hurricane force intensity of say, a chicago tentet gig was missing. Add the fact that PB and friends aren't getting any younger and it was extremely hot in the venue (poor PB and HB were soaked with sweat by the end) meant that this was a mellower show than I had been expecting, but still very enjoyable. On Sunday I watched the documentary film Brötzmann (which is based around his residency at Cafe Oto a few years ago) and can highly recommend it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the review Jason. it sounds really great.
last week I was listening to the live version of Machine Gun which is included with the Fuck De Boare album. fierce stuff!