Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow 23rd May

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

olan
Known user

Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow 23rd May

Post by olan »

Hopefully more dates will be announced. I'm unconvinced about my ability to survive the inevitable rain storm that will coincide with the gig.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow 23rd May

Post by angelsighs »

yeah too risky rain wise.. at least i'd be able to sit down though! :)

yep, hopefully this heralds the announcement of a proper tour. this isn't a festival is it?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm yeah too risky rain wise.. at least i'd be able to sit down though! :)

yep, hopefully this heralds the announcement of a proper tour. this isn't a festival is it?
There is nothing listed between 16th April and 23rd May and also between 24th May and 16th August. If the late May - August gap is for earning a few quid playing European Festivals then either we'll see them in late April early May on tour in the UK or it will be after the summer. I really want some noisy band-only gigs in standing venues at this stage. The gigs in theaters with choir and orchestra are great, but I need a dose of the noise now.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Seems a strange venue to play on a standard UK tour. Can't imagine there are no other venues available in Glasgow, which makes me think that this may involve a choir and maybe some orchestration too. Bandstand has a reputation as being a good venue with a good sound, even though its outdoors.

Easy enough to get to from city centre though, so not too out the way. This is also in the "hipster" west end area of Glasgow which means £8 pints :wink: and generally a more expensive nights out!

There is a summer festival in Aug that has many big names playing the Bandstand (this years lineup has just been announced and its fairly decent yet again) so i don't think this is part of a festival as such, but they do have a number of decent shows here throughout the year. maybe the promoters just got lucky with Spiritualized!

And yeah, there is always the risk of rain coming down since its Scotland... :lol: :lol: :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Pretty pleased about this one, day before my birthday so should make for a great start to a great weekend - Scottish Cup Final on the 25th - and while Scotland maybe famous for rain I can safely say the weather late May, early June and my birthday has usually always been sunny, so has the making of a fantastic night :D As for the venue it will be a new experience for me but it looks interesting, sure I read the other day when they announce the line up for gigs later in the summer that the capacity was 2,500, on recent showings that's a bit optimistic for Spiritualized, last twice in Glasgow was at the now smouldering pile of ashes that was once the ABC, cap. 800-900,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that poster is pretty nice too, isn't it?

I hope Olan is right and there are other UK dates in Apr/May. can't wait till after the festival season :?
either rock noise or the full ensemble is fine by me. I really wish i'd seen an earlier show now :/ I imagine not all of the And Nothing Hurt songs would really work without the full strings, horns etc?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

olan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm I'm unconvinced about my ability to survive the inevitable rain storm that will coincide with the gig.
Lord, let it rain on me
Let it all come down
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

50 fucking quid???

Dirty, robbing, promoter bastards! Think because you've got a "fancy" venue in the fucking hipster West End you can charge what you want?

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself!

Cunts
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

You'd hope this was the full orchestra/choir deal I guess...either that or free beer :D
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

More like a fiver a pint IIRC from the summer shows. Absolutely fuming at the ticket prices too.
Still, I'll probably pick my ticket up from tickets scotland in the hopes fees are that wee bit lower than with ticketmaster thieves. The write-up on their website is hilarious btw:
https://tickets-scotland.com/events.htm ... 000b754a1f

Olan: May's supposed to be our driest month. Still wetter than most places I'm sure - but arguably a less risky time than the summer gigs they do there.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'd expect more of a mini festival for that price! but it seems to be the way things are going these days.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Bit surprised by the price myself but a mate who goes to a lot more gigs than me had warned me not to expect much change from £50 for this one. Seems to be the going rate for bands at this venue. I don`t think you can put this all on the promoter though, sure J. would have his input and say as well. Its seven years since they were last up here, so god knows when they'll be back so I`ll be there.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ah man, I'm so torn on this. It's Spiritualized - in Scotland! - at last.

Last time they played up here my oldest child was still in his mothers belly. Tickets for that one cost a ridiculous £17.50...

Anyone know if the seemingly small bandstand can accomodate a choir and orchestra as well as the band? If they do the kind of shows they've done recently I'll be gutted to miss this.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Aw man - unreserved seating?

Messaging some pals back and forth about this - if only they would play 2 nights in the Barrowlands?
O P 8
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Almost seriously considered a pal's offer to take a picnic blanket and some wine and sit in the park outside the arena :lol:
But I know I'll end up getting my ticket for this anyway. She's done it before, so I'll keep it in mind for some of the summer gigs instead!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

£55 in Top Cash Back converted into a Ticketmaster voucher then converted into a Spiritualized ticket, sorted :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

As if it wasn't dear enough already, a communication breakdown between my cousin and myself means I`ve now bought two bloody tickets :shock: Still my daughter who`s 17 has expressed a definite interest in going which considering my own personal history with Spacemen 3/ Spiritualized would make it an even more special Spiritualized gig for me anyway :)
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Meanwhile I went to buy my ticket from Tickets Scotland on Argyle st, where it seems the tickets they were issued with won't be valid, so they gave me a receipt instead, and I'll need to go back to collect the actual tickets a fortnight before the gig. Ticketmaster to blame they said... :?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

One of my mates saw this post on facebook;
"I was speaking to Doggen on Friday night and he told me Glasgow’s been cancelled and they’re going to play another date there later in The year. Haven’t seen anything online about it being cancelled though".

Make of that what you will.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:09 pm One of my mates saw this post on facebook;
"I was speaking to Doggen on Friday night and he told me Glasgow’s been cancelled and they’re going to play another date there later in The year. Haven’t seen anything online about it being cancelled though".

Make of that what you will.

A nasty rumour hopefully :shock: :?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Well i eventually caved. The thought of not seeing them play AT ALL was just too much to bear.

Listening to bootlegs of current tours really has a lot to answer for! :lol: :lol: :lol:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Looks like this has now moved indoors. Now in the Old Fruitmarket
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

clewsr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:28 pm Looks like this has now moved indoors. Now in the Old Fruitmarket
Saw that earlier too, shame, it would have been cool at the Bandstand but 2,500 was always way too optimist for Spiritualized, especially at those prices.

Wonder if it would have been £50 if they had originally been booked to play at the Old Fruitmarket? Anyway, puts to rest rumours of the gig being cancelled now I hope,
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I did think that maybe they weren't selling anything like what they thought they would.

On the plus side, its a nice venue, its indoors, easier to get to from train stations and there's plenty bars nearby too.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

(mostly deleted post because I see I'm a month behind the times :lol: )

Still, £50 for the Old Fruitmarket is far too rich for my blood, especially when Stereolab at the same venue cost me £25 :roll:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow 23rd May

Post by BzaInSpace »

This long awaited Scottish gig gets closer now.

Looking very much forward to it, not least for catching up with old pals.
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Pissing myself with excitement for this :D :D :D although we've been relegated to the balcony due to the change of venue :? :? :?

Gonna have to see if i can get back downstairs once inside...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Anybody know where we can find stage times for those of us having to travel/work etc? And I'm guessing there's no support so it might be an early start?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I don't think outdoors would have been so good tonight so just as well (even though that makes the ticket seem even more pricey considering average prices @ Old Fruitmarket)
Surprised about your balcony ticket Laz, mine just says Unreserved. And doors 7pm.
I haven't seen any mention of support anywhere, so I too suspect an earlyish start, but I'll try make some calls this afternoon to confirm. (There was no support in Barcelona either, but iirc gig only started 90 mins after doors opened).
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

No support. Stage time scheduled 8.30pm -> 10.30pm but promoter recommends getting there by 8 as they could decide to start earlier.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Thanks Flokie!

Getting excited now!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Fantastic gig. On the Sunshine was my highlight, but really great all through from where I was.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Utterly brilliant from start to finish. Beautiful light show.
The sound was great too and really helped make the songs sound huge.

Joyous!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

What they said /\/\ will post something later excuse the wobbly camera at the start, a clip oof a couple of track from last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SbTgY ... e=youtu.be
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Absolutely wonderful gig, and maybe the best I've seen them. I was right in front of Jason. The sound was fantastic and the full attack of the band came across so well. The whole set (the same they've been playing all year) was brilliant but I think I particularly enjoyed And Nothing Hurt performed in its entirety. Never in my life have I seen (or ever wanted to see!) an artist to play their new album back-to-back, but this just emphasises how much this album and band mean to me. They've nailed it.

Things worth a mention are Doggen's solo on I'm Your Man which absolutely kicked. The Morning After dropping into almost silence in the middle before slowly building back up and then tearing into the freakout section at the end. But my absolute favourite thing and which brought tears to my eyes was the ending of Let's Dance, particularly the middle backing singer 'Come on darlin' let's dance, c'mon baby let's dance.' Absolutely beautiful. Keep an ear and eye out for her. She was phenomenal and broke my heart.

I was also pleased to see how packed out the place was. Given the venue change and grumbles online about the ticket price (worth every penny given there was eight people on stage), I was expecting it to be near empty but there was a decent turnout and the audience were pretty warm and lively. Spiritualized, thank you. Just don't make us wait seven years again next time!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

My Soul Has Been Spiritualized...

Again.

What a fucking night.
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

niamhm wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:22 am What they said /\/\ will post something later excuse the wobbly camera at the start, a clip oof a couple of track from last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SbTgY ... e=youtu.be
Thank you for the video. It is fantastic.
So nice to hear the reports back of another great gig.
Glad you all loved it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

nice video ... same strobes / lighting as Belfast ... really intense when its in your face

looking forward to June 3rd in Dublin but expecting more of a festival set.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

I particularly enjoyed the lovely extended intro leading into Here It Comes.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

niamhm wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:22 am What they said /\/\ will post something later excuse the wobbly camera at the start, a clip oof a couple of track from last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SbTgY ... e=youtu.be
AWESOME VIDEO. Brilliant spot and fantastic vibe.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm still on a massive high after that show. Just beyond...

It was a beautiful evening in Glasgow, so great to catch up with old pals and meet some new ones too. For those I was going to catch up with - Laz, Mojo - apologies but next time!

The show itself just reminded me of someone once said here - a Spiritualized gig is the best place on Earth.

The band were really tight and you could tell that reasonably extensive US tour had got the whole thing locked down. I know the mighty ORBITAL felt it should have been louder but I thought the sound was great. First half of the gig I was solo down near the front and later on near the mixing desk with my friends.

The crowd were ace - I apologise to the girl who asked me to be quiet when I got a bit too enthusiastic :lol:

The venue was outstanding too - really helpful staff who didn't even search me, so my secret gin stash was enjoyed!

heisenberg wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:37 pm
Things worth a mention are Doggen's solo on I'm Your Man which absolutely kicked. The Morning After dropping into almost silence in the middle before slowly building back up and then tearing into the freakout section at the end. But my absolute favourite thing and which brought tears to my eyes was the ending of Let's Dance, particularly the middle backing singer 'Come on darlin' let's dance, c'mon baby let's dance.' Absolutely beautiful. Keep an ear and eye out for her. She was phenomenal and broke my heart.
Absolutely all this. That bit in The Morning After was insane - and then it just kept going and going, I didn't want it to stop! Someone mentioned that long, spaced out intro to The Road which I'd forgotten about.

I think the set flowed wonderfully and it was something else to hear that whole album - and I can't see it just now but those recent comments about 'Oh Happy Day'?

I'll just leave this here. It was joyous, ecstatic and a perfect end. Listen to the backing singer going for it - she's amazing.

Lastly, thanks to the person that found my orange ANH t-shirt after leaving it in the Southside in the very early hours... managed to haggle the t-shirt guy down as I only had so much cash left...

Fucking incredible night. Play Scotland again soon!
O P 8
Barrybreck01
New user

Post by Barrybreck01 »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am 50 fucking quid???

Dirty, robbing, promoter bastards! Think because you've got a "fancy" venue in the fucking hipster West End you can charge what you want?

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself!

Cunts
You are this put out by the equivalent of $63 US dollars? J. Probably losing money. You sound like an entitled little shit and by not going you are doing the rest of the audience a favor. Who wants to be around negative assholes like you?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Barrybreck01 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:39 pm You are this put out by the equivalent of $63 US dollars? J. Probably losing money. You sound like an entitled little shit and by not going you are doing the rest of the audience a favor. Who wants to be around negative assholes like you?
£50 a ticket may not seem like much to you, but it is to me so i have to plan and budget for things like this accordingly. Since there was a real possibility the show could have sold out quick, my initial frustration at the price of tickets was out of having to try and budget for 2 tickets over the course of a few months hoping that the show would not sell out before i could get tickets. I do still think the ticket prices were inflated, more so after the change in venue, however, i still paid it in the end and i'm glad i did as it was a wonderful show.

Anyway, enough politeness. Fuck off ya fucking wank.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

It was a good gig but absurdly expensive.

>£50 for balcony standing, where the view was rather good, but all the sound was spill from the ground stacked PA. At that price they could have flown a few delay fills for the folks up top!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I'm a bit late with this; only listened to my recording properly for the first time today and started editing it.

It's not perfect, it has flaws, but hopefully will be not too shabby when it's finished.

Unsure when it will be ready but here's a quick blast, see what you think ...

Stay With Me MP3 (fades out) -

https://www.sendspace.com/file/egk8n9 or https://rapidgator.net/file/9558d91c211 ... 0.mp3.html

x
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sounds great Tufty, look forward to hearing the rest of it, cheers :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Tufty wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:38 pm Hi Everyone,

Sorry I'm a bit late with this; only listened to my recording properly for the first time today and started editing it.

It's not perfect, it has flaws, but hopefully will be not too shabby when it's finished.

Unsure when it will be ready but here's a quick blast, see what you think ...

Stay With Me MP3 (fades out) -

https://www.sendspace.com/file/egk8n9 or https://rapidgator.net/file/9558d91c211 ... 0.mp3.html

x
Tufty! You did it! You recorded the best gig I’ve ever seen.

I can’t believe this: with this you’ve essentially made my week/month/year as far as music goes.

I’d long since thought there would be just rough (or not) phone footage of certain tracks on YT.

THANK YOU!
O P 8
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Thank you for the kind feedback niamhm and Bza you're welcome, I love your enthusiasm : )

Making good progress with the recording, spent most of this morning on it, great hearing the show again!

Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go - complete track - 6:09 - MP3 -

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvzus7

https://rapidgator.net/file/06f01c2cdc6 ... 1.mp3.html
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just reiterating BZA's comments, i'm thrilled to see that this was recorded. An amazing show which, for me, just cemented Spiritualized as the greatest live band i've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Thanks in advance for this Tufty! You are a legend! :D
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Too kind Laz69, but a heartfelt thank you : )

Links will be up shortly, just waiting for MP3s to upload and trying to sort out FLACs on Dime x
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Spiritualized
A Perfect Miracle
Old Fruitmarket Glasgow
Thursday 23rd May 2019

Sony PCMD50 & Church Audio Pre-amp & CA-11 Cardioid Mic > PC > Audacity (Normalize & Amplify) > WAV > MP3 > you

01 - Hold On
02 - Come Together
03 - Shine A Light
04 - Stay With Me
05 - Soul On Fire
06 - She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
07 - Broken Heart
08 - A Perfect Miracle
09 - I'm Your Man
10 - Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go
11 - Let's Dance
12 - On The Sunshine
13 - Damaged
14 - The Morning After
15 - The Prize
16 - Sail On Through (Fades Out)*
17 - Interval
18 - So Long You Pretty Thing
19 - Out Of Sight
20 - Oh Happy Day
21 - Hold On (reprise)

*The recording volume was accidentally knocked up to full near the end of this track, resulting in it becoming
distorted. It was too jarring to leave in so I decided to cut the track short and fade out.
Around two and a half minutes of the track is missing because of this.

Complete MP3s & pics - 174.51mb zipfile -

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d9jtwb

or

https://rapidgator.net/file/2c53e7368af ... 3.zip.html

FLACS on Dime - http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=691990 -

Any problems let me know! x

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

:D
thank you so much!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cant extract files, when I left click little egg timer appears then nothing happens
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

niamhm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:59 pm Cant extract files, when I left click little egg timer appears then nothing happens
Hold that bus, files now extracted and playing. Thanks again Tufty been anticipating listening to this and revisiting what was a tremendous night :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D

Tufty, thanks so much for this.

As required live experience going down very well here.

I want to go back there!
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

‘The Morning After’ 😋
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hey,

Anyone able to send on the FLAC version of this show - Dimeadozen will not allow me access despite attempts yet again.

This is an awesome recording and ‘Let’s Dance’ is unbelievable even in VBR mp3 - although I would really appreciate a HQ version - pretty sure I can hear myself throughout the first half being ‘excitable’.

Like, I may have been standing close to Tufty. Sorry about that sir... 😌
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks to both mojo and the recording legend that is Tufty for their kind assistance.

I need to post here more. It’s truly the best social media place out there.

Love you all!
O P 8
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Oops, it looks like I've missed out on that download too. If anyone could share a working link, to the FLAC preferrably, that would be fab!
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Hi Flokie,

Download FLACS here - https://we.tl/t-XnijQaD4co

713mb zip file

Available for one week.

Cheers!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

A big thank you Tufty!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Can any kind person please post this show again? Can't believe I totally missed that it was uploaded.

Cheers.
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

No worries heisenberg,

MP3 download here - https://www.sendspace.com/file/hhyve3?_ ... ujcnBszRGl

I've been working on a "new" recording of an old Spiritualized show recently, hoping to release it on here next month...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Thank you so much Tufty!

Looking forward to what you have for us next month.