Festivals Thread 2019

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Festivals Thread 2019

Post by angelsighs »

Anyone got any good festivals lined up for this year?

I spotted this- Mutations Festival just outside Brighton (why do they get all the good stuff?) not bad for under £40

https://www.mutationsfestival.com/

End of The Road lineup is being announced next week I think. Primavera looks very under par for them.
Supersonic Festival are keeping it heavy this year- Neurosis, Godflesh, The Bug.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Festivals Thread 2019

Post by angelsighs »

sub par first Green Man announcement in my opinion.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Mutations thing is just a one day gig on the outskirts of Brighton (actually quite near me Sighs). I was toying with it but even though my wife and I are massive White Denim fans I thought it was a bit steep and I wasn't that blown away with the rest of the bill.

Have to agree with Aquarian Time with regards to first Green Man line up announcement.

Working on another Drone Rock Records showcase gig for later in the year so save yourselves for that :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am sub par first Green Man announcement in my opinion.
Is this just an age thing though? Most festival lineups look increasingly shite to me year on year but i'm hardly the target audience anymore am I? Ive noticed with the Electric Picnic far more of a pop element creeping in in recent years but that's what the young folks are into it seems, as those kind of acts have drawn big crowds to the main stage.
Or maybe it really is what I've suspected for a long time now and music is becoming increasingly bland and dull hence all lineups look shite.

We sold our tickets for Body and Soul last year due to the fact that between two of us we couldn't find one act to get excited about. NOT ONE. It was full of pop music for hipsters that was just so fucking dull and, yep, bland. I have a theory that they actually don't want people to get too excited and enjoy themselves too much just in case some health and safety nightmare might ensue. This year is their 10th Anniversary so i'm hoping they do something special but i'm half expecting to be selling my ticket again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 pm The Mutations thing is just a one day gig on the outskirts of Brighton (actually quite near me Sighs). I was toying with it but even though my wife and I are massive White Denim fans I thought it was a bit steep and I wasn't that blown away with the rest of the bill.

Working on another Drone Rock Records showcase gig for later in the year so save yourselves for that :wink:
although ideally I'd like more acts added, I still think Mutations would be worth the money. the acts I would want to see would each cost £10-£20 on their own.

yep maybe I should make it two Drone Rock records showcases in a row :)

sunray wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 pm Is this just an age thing though? Most festival lineups look increasingly shite to me year on year but i'm hardly the target audience anymore am I?
I know what you mean. I guess that's one element of it, losing touch with the 'up and coming' acts that festivals tend to fill up the undercard with. Plus as you say, lots more pop stuff (and a LOT of DJs for some reason??) Sometimes I feel stranded between that, and the heritage festivals such as Shiine On (basically a way for Britpop bands to reform and take advantage of nostalgia by 40 somethings!)

but at the same time, the last few years of Green Man have been right up my street. it wouldn't change that quickly in a year. I think it's just luck of the draw sometimes.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spiritualized headlining End of The Road. rest of the line up a big meh from me.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Wow ! So glad I got a ticket straight after last years festival. The atmosphere there is the best I've witnessed at any festival. This is the best line up of any festival I've seen so far and will take a lot of beating.
Roll on Aug - Sept 🤗🍻😎,
PS } Sorry, got a bit carried away and didn't mention this post is about the Wonderful End Of The Road Festival.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Some would say a bias perspective because I am playing it but one I would stand by - best lineup of the year so far is easily Bluedot for me.

Kraftwerk, New Order, 808 State, Gruff Rhys, Jon Hopkins and loads more: https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/homepage
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am Spiritualized headlining End of The Road. rest of the line up a big meh from me.
Really? Wow, there's about 15 acts there i'd be happy to see at a festival. Ok, i've seen nearly all of them before but still... It's on the same weekend as Electric Picnic and there's no doubt in my mind that once again i'll be lucky if we get 3 or 4 of those. Normally the Picnic grabs the most commercial acts from EOTR, much to my eternal frustration.

As for Bluedot, I think it's the weakest lineup they've had in a while.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:50 pm Really? Wow, there's about 15 acts there i'd be happy to see at a festival. Ok, i've seen nearly all of them before but still...
yeah I mean I've had a look a bit further down the lineup and there's some stuff I would definitely catch (Kikagaku Moyo, Wire, Low, Steve Gunn, Pigs x 7) as well as some other stuff I would be curious to see.. but it's still not quite enough for me. a good second announcement could definitely bump it up.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Spiritualized, Low and Kikagaku Moyo are obvious highlights in that first line-up announcement for EotR. Still, may hold out for second announcement as its working out roughly £500 for myself, wife and son to go and we would have to miss a lot of the Sunday as he starts first day of new term on the Monday. Really enjoyed EotR when we went back in 2011 (pre-child) but could be a completely different type of event with a 6 year old in tow. :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Leave the kid with the folks and give yourselves a well deserved break. You know it makes sense :wink:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

More announcements have been made for Green Man. Still looking good rather than amazing.

No announcement yet about Liverpool Psych Fest either. There's usually been something by this time of year if I remember correctly.

I would rather not have a festival-less year this year, I would say I'd bite the bullet and try one of the European ones instead but even there nothing is making me hugely excited.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm led to believe definately no psych fest

EOTR festival ticket procured, minus wife and kids, not quite sure how i managed to pull that off!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:19 pm I'm led to believe definately no psych fest

EOTR festival ticket procured, minus wife and kids, not quite sure how i managed to pull that off!
Ah man! Kinda had a feeling about that..

I might consider EOTR too but really depends on what other bands get added.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

more bands have been added to EOTR. it's still a big 'meh' from me though, only William Tyler and Wand really tickle my fancy.