Salt Lake City Review

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Salt Lake City Review

Post by clewsr »

It doesn't sound like the reviewer enjoyed this at all, - https://www.saltlakemagazine.com/spiritualized/

Did take some good pictures though - https://www.flickr.com/photos/charissac ... 436499851/
sunray
Known user

Re: Salt Lake City Review

Post by sunray »

Sounds like he knew nothing about Spiritualized at all.
I can't believe people still go on about a lack of engagement with the audience. Who gives a fuck?!! All I care about at any gig is if the music is good. Some acts do good banter and some don't know when to shut the fuck up.
Really though, unless it's Julian Cope (who is genuinely funny), it wouldn't bother me if they all stood stock still and ignored the audience completely.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I've always found that criticism rather strange and illogical. The last time I encountered it was a thread someone else started on another forum, announcing the then-forthcoming new album And Nothing Hurt.

A few subsequent comments from folks who apparently used to be fans, but lost interest because of seeing the band live, and finding Jason's stage position and disposition "too disengaged from the audience" or similar. Hence they were announcing they wouldn't bother with the new album.

From a logical perspective, even if we hypothetically accept the live criticism as valid - what on earth did these folks hear on earlier albums, that made them expect some kind of non-stop, wise-cracking and duckwalking, action-packed stage performance?

Furthermore, if you liked previous Spiritualized albums but then felt let-down by the live experience - why would that prevent you potentially enjoying a new record? When I listen to Spiritualized albums, I'm generally not sitting conjuring up mental images of Jason's static and banter-free stage posture.

It really doesn't make any sense whatsoever! It's like a 180° inversion of finding GG Allin too distasteful live, but still enjoying just the music at home - his music was pretty poor, but at least the live act tied it all together.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
momo_90
Known user

Post by momo_90 »

I was shocked to see Spiritualized this year for the first time, walk into the venue and see no barriers in front of the stage. I was less than two meters from Jason for the whole gig and saw him giving it all. That's better than any stage banter or whatever some people call "engagement".
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

momo_90 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 pm ...and saw him giving it all. That's better than any stage banter or whatever some people call "engagement".
Beautiful
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

The music of Spiritualized is larger than a choreography, larger than any kind of interaction, larger than worshipping the musicians or the singer, larger than time, larger than space, larger than life.
It might be an alien experience for some people but it has always been very liberating for me.
That`s what music should be about.
Barrybreck01
New user

Post by Barrybreck01 »

The review turns out is written by a professor at the university who ventured out of her bubble of academia to review a band she apparently knows nothing about. It seems stage antics are more important to her than actual music.
discofries
Known user

Post by discofries »

momo_90 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 pm I was shocked to see Spiritualized this year for the first time, walk into the venue and see no barriers in front of the stage. I was less than two meters from Jason for the whole gig and saw him giving it all. That's better than any stage banter or whatever some people call "engagement".
Exactly. They put on a show. There's never been any audience interaction and in the early days there were no encores either. It's about the music. That's it.
--
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Muhammad Ali