Spz Philadelphia 4/19/2019

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Spz Philadelphia 4/19/2019

Post by toomilk »

Anyone else going to the show tonight? Let’s meet up for drinks before!
slide_song
Known user

Re: Spz Philadelphia 4/19/2019

Post by slide_song »

was going to make the trip up for this one but then things came up to prevent it :( hope it's a great show!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Good show. Same set list. Little variation in Sail On...it started with the backup singers first. Sounded lovely. Good performance with Jason messing up a few time - unnoticeable to the non-outpatient’s eat ;).

Weird venue though. Super cold. During the encore break someone threw glitter in my face?! So I spent the rest of the night explaining it. 🤣
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have videos on my IG account: Tunabearman
bzfgt
New user

Post by bzfgt »

Hey toomilk, I wanted to PM you but circumstances had me arriving at the venue at the last second (in fact the band started as I sat down, I paid an extra 15 dollars for a "VIP" seat in the balcony when I got there--which made the whole shebang rather high-priced, but I'm getting too old for General Admission and standing behind Manute Bol etc.).

I loved the show. First time i saw them. I think it was the Prize the backup singers started? Unless they did something at the beginning of Sail on Through also that I don't recall.

The sound was really good, which was a relief--the best sounding band I've seen in years, in fact. The backup singers were almost inaudible the first song or two where I was, but then that got straightened out.

"On the Sunshine" was a big highlight, which I expected from the album; the song itself isn't much, but the band/performance on the album is really promising for a live trip.

This was the first time I saw them. I thought it was great. If I have a reservation, it's that for the most part they seem like a band playing songs the way they play them--not a lot of exploration, I mean.

I am pretty sure that on "I'm Your Man" he said "Wasted, faded, unamputated" . I don't know if this is the standard live reading.
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

Incredible show. Glad I went to DC show as I unfortunately had to leave half way through the Philly show (I was floating a little too much in space).

https://www.songkick.com/artists/65094-spiritualized

Any one have any clue about this above show in richmond VA? Says SPZ with orchestra.’ Can’t find it on any other sites. Seems odd.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

diesel_foxxy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:18 pm Incredible show. Glad I went to DC show as I unfortunately had to leave half way through the Philly show (I was floating a little too much in space).

https://www.songkick.com/artists/65094-spiritualized

Any one have any clue about this above show in richmond VA? Says SPZ with orchestra.’ Can’t find it on any other sites. Seems odd.
The venue's event calendar shows "Star Wars: A New Hope, In Concert with the Richmond Symphony" on May 4th. Surely somebody's taking a piss on the songkick page? Perhaps anyone can submit or edit an entry there.
https://www.altriatheater.com/events/de ... a-new-hope
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

good dope/good fun wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:56 pm Image
That is an absolutely superbly evocative photograph. I need to go to another Spiritualized gig as soon as possible!
discofries
Known user

Post by discofries »

bzfgt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 pm Hey toomilk, I wanted to PM you but circumstances had me arriving at the venue at the last second (in fact the band started as I sat down, I paid an extra 15 dollars for a "VIP" seat in the balcony when I got there--which made the whole shebang rather high-priced, but I'm getting too old for General Admission and standing behind Manute Bol etc.).

I loved the show. First time i saw them. I think it was the Prize the backup singers started? Unless they did something at the beginning of Sail on Through also that I don't recall.

The sound was really good, which was a relief--the best sounding band I've seen in years, in fact. The backup singers were almost inaudible the first song or two where I was, but then that got straightened out.

"On the Sunshine" was a big highlight, which I expected from the album; the song itself isn't much, but the band/performance on the album is really promising for a live trip.

This was the first time I saw them. I thought it was great. If I have a reservation, it's that for the most part they seem like a band playing songs the way they play them--not a lot of exploration, I mean.

I am pretty sure that on "I'm Your Man" he said "Wasted, faded, unamputated" . I don't know if this is the standard live reading.
Hi
Just joined this group (tho I was on a way earlier version in the distant past) and wanted to share a comment on the above post. I've seen Spz about 40 times since the early/mid 90s and went to nearly half of these dates including the last two in NY and Philly. Having seen this set multiple times, when I read: "If I have a reservation, it's that for the most part they seem like a band playing songs the way they play them--not a lot of exploration, I mean."
They most definitely do a ton of live exploration. I watched the show evolve over this tour and saw how, for instance, the guitarists Tony and Martin really went balls to the wall during On the Sunshine. The song notes are the same but they def get exploratory and experimental. The Philly show was pretty phenomenal as it was the last date of the tour, they were all 10000% into it.
--
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Muhammad Ali
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just wanna say I am enjoying all the reports from across the pond about the Spiritualized shows. great to see reactions, pictures etc. makes me chomp at the bit even more for the UK tour announcement... c'mon guys!!
Barrybreck01
New user

Post by Barrybreck01 »

I went to 2nd to last show at Brooklyn Steel and it was a completely magical night, from sart to finish. Night started with myself and 2 friends realizing we were following the band minus J. as we were alking towards the club...the band carrying bags of takeout food from some local haunt and watched them dissapear into the backstage door, as we took a left into the entrance. The show beginning to end was everything I could have wanted, and was glad to witness the more stripped down band from when I saw them in October at kings theater. The show was amazing, visceral, massive and powerful and I was literally transfixed the entire night. Completely jaw dropping overwhelmingly beautiful show. After show we found ourselves walking past the tour bus and struck up a conversation with the bus driver who was so nice. Little by little met members of the band as they made their way to the bus and everyone was so kind and chatted with us for a minute...and this was spontaneous as we weren't intending to "meet the band", but there we were and at last Mr. Spaceman himself comes out the door and heads toward the bus and talked me and my friends for a few minutes and it was a very random spontaneous surreal moment, somehow talked about a person we both knew from our pasts (a recording engineer), shared my awe of him and his band....he was so very engaging and it felt like a dream...he was very nice and charming and funny....could tell he was energized from the show, and he mentioned coming back hopefully to the Apollo! It was an awesome meeting then off he went. Please come back soon!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 am just wanna say I am enjoying all the reports from across the pond about the Spiritualized shows. great to see reactions, pictures etc. makes me chomp at the bit even more for the UK tour announcement... c'mon guys!!
Me too. I love reading the stories around these gigs, and how the band are setting fire to the US again city by city.

Just over 3 weeks until Glasgow. Last time they played there after a lengthy US tour they were beyond...
O P 8
bzfgt
New user

Post by bzfgt »

discofries wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 pm
bzfgt wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 pm Hey toomilk, I wanted to PM you but circumstances had me arriving at the venue at the last second (in fact the band started as I sat down, I paid an extra 15 dollars for a "VIP" seat in the balcony when I got there--which made the whole shebang rather high-priced, but I'm getting too old for General Admission and standing behind Manute Bol etc.).

Hi
Just joined this group (tho I was on a way earlier version in the distant past) and wanted to share a comment on the above post. I've seen Spz about 40 times since the early/mid 90s and went to nearly half of these dates including the last two in NY and Philly. Having seen this set multiple times, when I read: "If I have a reservation, it's that for the most part they seem like a band playing songs the way they play them--not a lot of exploration, I mean."
They most definitely do a ton of live exploration. I watched the show evolve over this tour and saw how, for instance, the guitarists Tony and Martin really went balls to the wall during On the Sunshine. The song notes are the same but they def get exploratory and experimental. The Philly show was pretty phenomenal as it was the last date of the tour, they were all 10000% into it.
Cool, maybe that's a misperception. I guess I was thinking of between-song improvs too, the couple things like that were really cool...